Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #81
johnrule
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
Work on Macs Safari. But not on Ipads.
I did try the project above (see #71) from my iPod and it worked fine...so the Reaper web control should work from any "i" device.

The best test is the "http://localhost:8808" as Justin mentioned...
johnrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #82
Ed Zeppeli

64bit version is up and running great so far!

Thanks again,

Warren
Ed Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #83
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrule View Post
I did try the project above (see #71) from my iPod and it worked fine...so the Reaper web control should work from any "i" device.

The best test is the "http://localhost:8808" as Justin mentioned...
thanks

Just tried again and now works. It was my damn router. Had to restart it.
Works with 32and 64 bit version of OSX reaper with the last version posted.

The localhost option doesn't work but it works with the http://ip : port/ format

Cheers J

Last edited by Janne83; 04-23-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Janne83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #84
SEA

I use a Presonus Faderport for desktop control. How would this be different like.... if I wasn't at my desk and over by my guitar and needed to punch or what?

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #85
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I use a Presonus Faderport for desktop control. How would this be different like.... if I wasn't at my desk and over by my guitar and needed to punch or what?

its just a remote control really,

so if you need to control reaper frpom a place where you currently cant control reaper you can use this over wifi

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #86
sjakie2003

Dude... this is so awesome. Happy to report it works fine on Win7 64bit and through my ****** Nokia N97 symbian phone.
This way I can scare the guys that always start messing up my projects when I walk out of the studio.
sjakie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #87
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
its just a remote control really,

so if you need to control reaper frpom a place where you currently cant control reaper you can use this over wifi

Subz
Also useful if you have an old PDA or a Slate or whatever to use as a kind of action pad, so you can put action buttons on a touchscreen and so on to save real estate on your main monitor[s]
Old 04-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #88
Ed Zeppeli

I'm wondering if anybody here who is network savvy could assist me with some advice.

This app works on my main DAW PC (WIN7 64bit) when I have Reaper open and then open up a browser on the same PC. However it's not functioning on my wireless laptop (32bit vista) or my networked PC upstairs (XP Home 32 bit).

Earlier yesterday I successfully used Reastream to monitor Reaper upstairs on the XP box so the network is somewhat functional.

I've disabled Windows firewall on both PCs and tried using the IP instead of the localhost address.

The network upstairs is using a second router as a switch w/ DHCP disabled and an IP address assigned to it. All three PCs are using Kaspersky AV 2011.

Where should I investigate next in order to get this killer app functional within my network?

Thanks in advance,

Warren
Old 04-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #89
Janne83

This is phenomenal. Works much better with less latency than other control apps I have for ipad.

My first modification of Youns work. Size setting and added zoom actions.

J
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #90
Melvin J.

Nice Janne! What zoom functions do you have this set for, if you mind me askin'? Does it zoom to selections or items or...
Old 04-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #91
ripgtr

Default Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
This app works on my main DAW PC (WIN7 64bit) when I have Reaper open and then open up a browser on the same PC. However it's not functioning on my wireless laptop (32bit vista) or my networked PC upstairs (XP Home 32 bit).

Have you checked if either router is blocking 8808?

Last edited by ripgtr; 04-23-2011 at 08:53 AM.
ripgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #92
Ed Zeppeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripgtr View Post
Have you checked if either router is blocking 8808?

Thanks I'll dig into that. Would it be blocked by default possibly?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #93
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin J. View Post
Nice Janne! What zoom functions do you have this set for, if you mind me askin'? Does it zoom to selections or items or...
Left two are horizontal zoom the middle is zoom to selected item right two vertical zoom
Old 04-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #94
ripgtr

Default Port blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
Thanks I'll dig into that. Would it be blocked by default possibly?
Probably would be blocked by default. You can test by turning off all port blocking on the router, but I wouldn't leave it like that for long.

Also, interesting note. I finally got the x64 version. Put that on my Win 7 box, tried to connect from my XP box, nogo. I turned off the firewalls on both, worked. Found that I had to go into the advanced settings in Win7, create an inbound rule Reaper, port 8808. I also found 2 blocking rules for Reaper, had to disable both of those. Works fine now. The firewall settings are not set up like XP in Win7, it is more like RRAS on a server and though it can get down to very specifics, it really isn't all that user friendly. Not sure if there is an easy way to open ports in Win7, didn't look for that, if anyone knows, maybe they can say.

I didn't have to mess with outbound ports, I believe Reaper is sending back on port 80, which is HTTP and is usually always open. The inbound port, though, is the one to look out for.

On the XP box, there was already an firewall exception, probably from using ReaMote. You would need that, as well, if it isn't already there.

Last edited by ripgtr; 04-23-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #95
Janne83

Ive changed the graphics to match my SilverStar theme.

Ill look into this more in detail in near future.

J
Old 04-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #96
ripgtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
The localhost option doesn't work but it works with the http://ip : port/ format

Cheers J
Yes, good point.

Localhost won't work on anything but the local machine. You need to put in an ip address for anything remote.

Technical part :-) -
Networking doesn't use names, it uses IP addresses. There is a file in the OS called a hosts file that does what a dns server does, change names to ip addresses. In this file is the name localhost, with an ip address of 127.0.0.1, which is the loopback address - which just means "this system". When you use "localhost", it looks that up, sees it is this system and sends it there. So, when you use "localhost" on another system, it is just going to look at itself. So you have to use the ip address.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #97
Janne83

Quote:
Yes, good point.

Localhost won't work on anything but the local machine. You need to put in an ip address for anything remote.

Technical part :-) -
Networking doesn't use names, it uses IP addresses. There is a file in the OS called a hosts file that does what a dns server does, change names to ip addresses. In this file is the name localhost, with an ip address of 127.0.0.1, which is the loopback address - which just means "this system". When you use "localhost", it looks that up, sees it is this system and sends it there. So, when you use "localhost" on another system, it is just going to look at itself. So you have to use the ip address.
thanks for the technical part

This combination was the only option it worked on my ipad.

J
Old 04-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #98
sjakie2003

The only thing I can say after having used it a couple of hours is: how cool would it be if the web page could stream the output of your master channel. So you can actually hear the mix on whatever remote you are using.
sjakie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #99
Subz

a personal note to all those making there own front end for this app

(in the voice of Peter Griffin) i hate you!

Old 04-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #100
Ed Zeppeli

Quote:
Probably would be blocked by default. You can test by turning off all port blocking on the router, but I wouldn't leave it like that for long.

Also, interesting note. I finally got the x64 version. Put that on my Win 7 box, tried to connect from my XP box, nogo. I turned off the firewalls on both, worked. Found that I had to go into the advanced settings in Win7, create an inbound rule Reaper, port 8808. I also found 2 blocking rules for Reaper, had to disable both of those. Works fine now. The firewall settings are not set up like XP in Win7, it is more like RRAS on a server and though it can get down to very specifics, it really isn't all that user friendly. Not sure if there is an easy way to open ports in Win7, didn't look for that, if anyone knows, maybe they can say.

I didn't have to mess with outbound ports, I believe Reaper is sending back on port 80, which is HTTP and is usually always open. The inbound port, though, is the one to look out for.

On the XP box, there was already an firewall exception, probably from using ReaMote. You would need that, as well, if it isn't already there.
I really appreciate this, thanks. I've managed to ensure the router port is open and I've allowed Reaper in Windows Firewall but still no love. I even disabled both firewalls to test but sans dice.

I'll look into port 80 as a return port and see if that's an issue.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #101
ripgtr

Default ports

It would be weird if port 80 was closed anywhere. It is what www uses, and is usually open on everything.

Can you ping the Reaper machine from the other?

If so, you should run netstat on the reaper system to see if the port is open and listening. You could run telnet to the ip and port from the remote box, see if it is getting through.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #102
moss

Great stuff! Tried with 64bit version and accessed it via a Motorola Milestone 2 (Android) mobile phone running Firefox.
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #103
HOFX

I might have missed this, but does this API stream sound out aswell? If it did, this has massive potential for remote mixing, could be an opportunity for people to offer one-on-one mixing lessons for willing payers...
HOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #104
zappsunzorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX View Post
I might have missed this, but does this API stream sound out aswell? If it did, this has massive potential for remote mixing, could be an opportunity for people to offer one-on-one mixing lessons for willing payers...
We have the shoutcast plugin, but I am not sure if they work together, but that would be cool, If the delay is consistent it should be easy to set an offset.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #105
Ed Zeppeli

Quote:
It would be weird if port 80 was closed anywhere. It is what www uses, and is usually open on everything.

Can you ping the Reaper machine from the other?

If so, you should run netstat on the reaper system to see if the port is open and listening. You could run telnet to the ip and port from the remote box, see if it is getting through.
Thanks for your tips. I disabled everything, re-assigned some fixed IPs so the port would stay open for the right Reaper PC things seem to be working right now BYPASSING my second router upstairs.

I'll now start troubleshooting that as I'm using it as a switch but it defaults to 192.168.0.X and the main router defaults to 192.168.1.x.

I'm pretty green in this area of networking so I appreciate your patience as I work through this.

Regards,

Warren
Old 04-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #106
Anton9

Default Is this possible ?

Hi,

Is it possible to make layout that consists of just the Transports of each opened project, and as new project tabs are added in reaper then new Transports get added to the html layout ? Also a button that would act as a toggle so that in one button state all the Tports work independently and in the other toggle state all of the Tports are linked.

All of the Tports should be visible at once. I am specifically interested in having control of multiple/tabbed projects "Tempo" and "Play rate."

If anyone could code me up an example that would be GREAT !!!

Thank You

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tport.JPG (31.6 KB, 3755 views)
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #107
nolman

This is so awesome!
johnrule, could you show me how to form the release scripts ?

suppose i make a button for recenable ch1, what would the script be?
or to toggle the metronome on/off?

many thanks in advance!
nolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #108
pentecost

oh man. oh man. ohhhhhhhhh man... it's really happening.
dear justin:

GET/TRACK/index/FX_PARAM/index/

and less important for my purposes, but still lovely...

SET/TRACK/index/FX_PARAM/index/value

PLEAAAAAASE!!!

Last edited by pentecost; 04-24-2011 at 11:55 PM.
pentecost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #109
nolman

ok, I got it working now with custom buttons (metronome,...)
Is there a list somewhere of the possible scripts like
SET/TRACK/0/VOL/ (slider)

used in:
var isDragging = -1;
SEND.STRING("", "/_/SET/TRACK/0/VOL/", 0);

?

How do i find the syntax used for a slider that sets the metronome volume?

thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #110
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I've updated the .zip with an OSX build (UB, 10.5+) -- on OSX you should put reaper_www.dylib and reaper_www_root/ in your ~/Library/Application Support/UserPlugins/ directory.

x64 build will be coming in a few hours.
I don't have this directory. Should I create it or am I looking in the wrong spot?

I have v4 installed in a folder on my desktop as a portable install.

EDIT: created the directory in my REAPER 4 Folder and is working from the local machine with localhost:8808.

I can't get it to work with my android phone. Tried IP of the reaper machine followed by :8808

I am not an IT professional and have no idea about port blocking, disabling or even checking if my router has a firewall, don't even know what a port is and why its bad to open and leave open all ports.

can anyone walk me through this?

osx 10.6

Last edited by yagonnawantthatcowbell; 04-25-2011 at 12:59 PM.
yagonnawantthatcowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #111
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagonnawantthatcowbell View Post
I don't have this directory. Should I create it or am I looking in the wrong spot?

I have v4 installed in a folder on my desktop as a portable install.

EDIT: created the directory in my REAPER 4 Folder and is working from the local machine with localhost:8808.

I can't get it to work with my android phone. Tried IP of the reaper machine followed by :8808

I am not an IT professional and have no idea about port blocking, disabling or even checking if my router has a firewall, don't even know what a port is and why its bad to open and leave open all ports.

can anyone walk me through this?

osx 10.6
Go under User/Library/ApplicationSupprot/Reaper

And try to use http://computersip : port
b
the defualt port is 8808
J
Old 04-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #112
yagonnawantthatcowbell

thanks for the reply.

Tried it in Dolphin HD on android:

http://computerwithreaperIP:8808

Unable to load page
Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #113
ripgtr

Default Keyboard shortcuts, too?

I was looking at the code on the html page and had a thought. Now, I am no coder, but I think this could be done. How about keyboard shortcuts? I would find this really handy when recording. Instead of having to lean over and move the mouse and find the stop button, I could hit the spacebar and stop. I like this app a lot better than VNC and would use it from a laptop.

So I am looking at the buttons, they look like they are calling a function "onclick" and then sending the command ID. Ok, I get that. Is there a way to use "onkeypress", say, to call a command? Does there need to be a function set up for "onkeypress"? I have played with that, but that is beyond my skills. You could set this up with specific keys, by their ascii numbers, from what I am reading online, so it should be doable to have the basic transport keyboard functions work.

Anyone know enough javascript to know how to do this? This would be a big plus to something that is pretty cool to start with. If not, I will still find this useful, but kb shortcuts would be great.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #114
swiftoid

This might be useful:

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/event_onkeypress.asp

My websites: Clock and Watch Repairs
swiftoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #115
johnrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolman View Post
This is so awesome!
johnrule, could you show me how to form the release scripts ?

suppose i make a button for recenable ch1, what would the script be?
or to toggle the metronome on/off?

many thanks in advance!
Sorry for the delay...I was programming.

Here is a quick example for now:

- Open the 'Reaper_Control.rte' project in the 'Examples' folder.
- Open the 'Script Window' (you can right-click on an object and choose 'Script/Release' too).
- Choose the 'Arrow' tool for selecting, and click on any button to refresh the Script Window with that objects script.

The SEND.STRING has three parameters:

Code:
SEND.STRING(socket, string, delay);
For Reaper control, you just need the 'string', so in this animation you see "" for the first parameter and '0' for the last...the string is what I am highlighting.

The protocol can be pretty simple. For example, for 'Play', you only need the string "/_/1007;" to actually trigger Reaper. SO the SEND.STRING would look like this:
Code:
SEND.STRING("", "/_/1007;", 0);
And when you convert that project to html, it is embedded in the page for you as a GET command.

A more advanced string is something like the track mute or solo. You can chain commands as long as you separate them with a semi-colon ";" like this:
Code:
SEND.STRING("", "/_/SET/TRACK/0/MUTE/-1;TRACK/0;TRANSPORT;", 0);
That is the Master mute command. The "/_/SET/TRACK/0/MUTE/-1;" is the actual command to mute, and the "TRACK/0;" is the command to get the status on that track. The "TRANSPORT;" command tells Reaper to send it as soon as it can.

One last example. To toggle mute and toggle solo for channel 1 you would use the following commands:

Code:
// Mute
SEND.STRING("", "/_/SET/TRACK/1/MUTE/-1;TRACK/1;TRANSPORT;", 0);

// Solo
SEND.STRING("", "/_/SET/TRACK/1/SOLO/-1;TRACK/1;TRANSPORT;", 0);
The "-1" is a toggle command, and a discrete "1" or "0" will force it to that state.

The complete protocol that Justin slaved over is explained in great detail in the "main.js" file in the "reaper_www_root" folder.

Enough?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #116
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagonnawantthatcowbell View Post
thanks for the reply.

Tried it in Dolphin HD on android:

http://computerwithreaperIP:8808

Unable to load page
you need to know the ip address of "computerwithreaperIP" & replace computerwithreaperIP for the actual ip address

its much more likely to be something like

http://192.168.100.2:8808 or http://192.168.1.2:8808 or http://192.168.0.2:8808

"2" would be the number of your PC with reaper by putting it as 2 i'm assuming you go through a router & your Reaper PC is the first PC that connects to it,

you can check your IP by typing "ipconfig" in the "command prompt" on windows or just check your settings of your network properties

Subz
Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #117
nolman

I have this working now exept for the metronome volume and 2-way feedback for the buttons.

I can use this in the tracking room to arm tracks and record + turn metronome on or off.
The redo button is a macro :
-stop and delete
-transport:record
this enables a quick rerecord.

what would be nice is to have the actual tracknames (list)as arm buttons.
I will try to figure out the 2-way feedback and metronome volume now

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot001.jpg (52.5 KB, 418 views)

Last edited by nolman; 04-26-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #118
johnrule

Quote:
what would be nice is to have the actual tracknames (list)as arm buttons.
I will try to figure out the 2-way feedback and metronome volume now
The track names are part of the packet that is sent back with "TRACK", so it is possible to do more parsing in the JavaScript rather than in the RTE to add this feature. You could, of course, simply change the label of the button to the track name, but that would be fixed.

The two-way feedback does seem touchy, but I think it is because I have 'onmousedown' and 'onmouseup' handlers for each image by default (although the transport seems to work fine - maybe it is a parsing/timing issue?). You can delete these to get better consistency because the updating from JavaScript will take care of the highlighting.

To trigger the feedback for each track you use the "TRACK" command:
Code:
SEND.STRING("", "TRACK/1;TRANSPORT;", 0);
This sends back everything about track 1 (including names). I think you need the "TRANSPORT" command at the end to actually get Reaper to 'queue' the string and send it back immediately.

In terms of the metronome, I looked through the source code for Justin's interface and I do not see a specific command for this. I do get the impression that this is done through midi and CC control. In order to trigger midi from a web page you would have to send things to the RTE server (which uses a different port than Reaper - so you can have both running) and send commands into Reaper (or anywhere else for that matter). You will need the version I just uploaded to my website (or the updater) as it has some changes to make this easier.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #119
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
you need to know the ip address of "computerwithreaperIP" & replace computerwithreaperIP for the actual ip address

its much more likely to be something like

http://192.168.100.2:8808 or http://192.168.1.2:8808 or http://192.168.0.2:8808

"2" would be the number of your PC with reaper by putting it as 2 i'm assuming you go through a router & your Reaper PC is the first PC that connects to it,

you can check your IP by typing "ipconfig" in the "command prompt" on windows or just check your settings of your network properties

Subz

Yes, this is what I've been doing.

I logged on to my router and got the list of attached devices to get the IP address for the computer with reaper on it. Then on my android phone, using the Dolphin HD browser, I type in http://xxx.xxx.x.x:8808 and no luck, the browser wont connect.

I'm on mac osx. The control is working from the local machine.

EDIT: Scratch that, got it working. Dynamic IP's!

Last edited by yagonnawantthatcowbell; 04-26-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #120
johnrule

Quote:
what would be nice is to have the actual tracknames (list)as arm buttons
It was a simple change in the JavaScript code:
Code:
	      tempObj = document.getElementById("TRACK_" + q[1] + "_LABEL");		// LABEL
	     if(tempObj == null) { 
     		iobj = document.getElementById(currentGroup); 
		tempObj = iobj.contentDocument.getElementById("TRACK_" + q[1] + "_LABEL");
		tempObj.value = q[2];
	     } else {
	      tempObj.value = q[2];
	     } // tempObj
This has already been added to the next version...you can add this to the "data/html_data/xJavaScript.txt" file in the RTE installation folder if you want to update now. Just put it after the "SOLO" statement...it looks exactly like this (but with the word "SOLO").

What this does is set a text field called "TRACK_X_LABEL" (where "X" is a number) with the name of the track (when it receives one). It needs to be a text field because the buttons are images, and a label change will not show.