Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 07-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
Sparkl
Human being with feelings

Default ReaInsert Latency issues when recording external gear

Hey guys!

I have yet another problem in getting used to my new home (Reaper) and this time I have issues with latency problems using the plugin ReaInsert.

I did a short video just trying to show you guys what exactly is my issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw3jkbw21x8&t=9s

Additional info:

If I only use plugins in the DAW I get no latency issues and have no problems recording stuff, the problem I get is when I try to do the loop for mixing my audio through my external gear.

I have also tried to ping test it but the latency it reports has literally nothing to do with this and if I manually change the recording latency under recording tab in options the problem still stays exactly the same.

Another funny thing is that if I arm both tracks for recording I will get almost zero latency (I will actually only hear the physical latency of the loop itself which is maybe 2-3ms tops, judging by ear) but then I cannot record the actual output since the "arm for recording" option on the source track will obviously overwrite the source as well.

Am I doing something wrong here? I am new to Reaper so I am still finding my ways in this DAW.

Thanks for your help guys!
Sparkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
Sparkl

Here is my PC spec, if it helps:

https://ibb.co/Wp3jfJn
Old 07-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
SonicAxiom

did you perform a proper latency check like shown in this video?

Old 07-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
Sparkl

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I followed exactly just that video. Anything I do to change it doesn't help since the latency appears to happen before the actual recording.

If you watch the video I made you will see that I actually have a problem where the whole DAW seems to "lag" behind the actual playback. If I start recording the "return" of that gear you will see that the recording gets written faster than the actual playback from the "user interface POV". I really have no clue how to explain this better hence the video I made. I highly suggest you take a look at it.

And as said before, the problem doesn't seem to only affect recording itself, it also affects playback as it is instantly time-shifted. If I monitor rea-insert in the actual channel where it resides instead, I will only get a couple ms latency.

Last edited by Sparkl; 07-12-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
SonicAxiom

I actually did watch the video (which would be of higher resolution and easier to discern if shot in landscape ). We will have to narrow down the possible causes for your issue. Your computer should be more than capable of handling audio without any glitches.

1. Are you running the latest Tascam firmware form February 2020?
2. Can an ASIO driver be selected for the 16x08 in Reaper's audio device preferences? If yes, select it.
3. Can you access the Tascam's own system panel / preferences via the "ASIO configuration" button in Reaper's audio device options page? If yes, are these setting matching those in Reaper (also in Reaper project properties)? What's the current buffer size?
4. Did you try with "use audio driver reported latency" checked and another time with this option unchecked?
5. Did you try to run the tests with a fresh, portable Reaper install?