Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 06-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
Peterk312
Human being with feelings

Default Help Finding Source for "free" SF2 Instrument [SOLVED]

On this website there are free sf2 instruments:

http://www.freesoundvault.com/sounds/

It's not clear where these came from, and there's no way to contact the person running the website.

My problem is I'm very interested in a sampled sax that's available under the horns category. However, I hesitate to use it on recordings that may be published and released to the public in the event that I would need to be properly licensed to use the samples.

If you have Sforzando or Aria Player, you can check out the file called Tenor Sax 1.sf2 (9.3 MB).

The instrument has a bank that's labelled like this:

000_Tenor_Sax_Soft
001_Tenor_Sax_Hard
002_Tenor_Hard_w_Vib
003_Tenor_Both_XSw
004_Tenor_Both_Layer
005_Tenor_Hard_Oct
006_Tenor_Both_Xfade
008_Tenor_Altered_1
009_Tenor_Altered_2
010_Tenor Goes2Sleep

Does that format look familiar to anyone? I know it's definitely not Garritan Jazz and Big Band because the tenor sax instruments available sound nothing like it and don't have those labels. How might I find out the source of this?

Last edited by Peterk312; 06-24-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Peterk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Peterk312

There's a small program called Polyphone that allows you to open an sf2 file to see the contents and sample names. When I opened this one it shows the following:

Is it possible the name of this is actually "Real Tenor Sax" and it was something made by E-mu ? A search is not bringing up anything.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk312 View Post
On this website there are free sf2 instruments:

http://www.freesoundvault.com/sounds/

It's not clear where these came from, and there's no way to contact the person running the website.

My problem is I'm very interested in a sampled sax that's available under the horns category. However, I hesitate to use it on recordings that may be published and released to the public in the event that I would need to be properly licensed to use the samples.

If you have Sforzando or Aria Player, you can check out the file called Tenor Sax 1.sf2 (9.3 MB).

The instrument has a bank that's labelled like this:

000_Tenor_Sax_Soft
001_Tenor_Sax_Hard
002_Tenor_Hard_w_Vib
003_Tenor_Both_XSw
004_Tenor_Both_Layer
005_Tenor_Hard_Oct
006_Tenor_Both_Xfade
008_Tenor_Altered_1
009_Tenor_Altered_2
010_Tenor Goes2Sleep

Does that format look familiar to anyone? I know it's definitely not Garritan Jazz and Big Band because the tenor sax instruments available sound nothing like it and don't have those labels. How might I find out the source of this?
assuming they are free,you may use them & publish also..?
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:01 AM   #4
Peterk312

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
assuming they are free,you may use them & publish also..?
Absolutely not, and that's the problem. It's not clear what the source of the samples are. In many cases samples are not in the public domain are are not free to use and can't legally be used on sound recordings unless you obtain a license.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:24 AM   #5
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk312 View Post
Absolutely not, and that's the problem. It's not clear what the source of the samples are. In many cases samples are not in the public domain are are not free to use and can't legally be used on sound recordings unless you obtain a license.
ok thanks for the clarification
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
Peterk312

I just found out this is actually DSK Saxophones, a sampled instrument also available for free.

How do I know this? Because it sounds exactly the same. The DSK instrument samples are packed in .mse format. I'm not familiar with it, but I bet if I can unpack it the sample names are the same.

The DSK Music website also has this instrument available in sf2 format. It's the same thing. Problem is the guy running the website doesn't make it clear all the sampled instruments on the website are 100% royalty free.

Last edited by Peterk312; 06-25-2020 at 07:06 AM.