Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #81
lawrs
Human being with feelings

Any idea how I can get the old behavior?

Clicking on empty space doesn't move edit cursor.

Doubleclick to draw note doesn't move edit cursor.

I would really like to have the old settings back if possible.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #82
karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
very spiffy transport... might you say a bit more about how you made that look? I'm quite familiar with doing the png work.
I'm guessing that's pretty much exactly what it is - a bit of clever png work!

I think he's done a set of custom icons for the transport buttons (including a couple purely for decoration!), designed them so they join together in a row and added the appropriate actions!
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #83
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Doesn't here...

[img]IMAGE REMOVED[/img]
Schwa, the thing is that's not what that option used to do in v3:

The main objective was to 'prevent the edit cursor to move at all", look at the use of the word area in v3

Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #84
PitchSlap

+ (27b) Project bay: preview plays through selected track if there is one.

Would this be difficult to add to the Media Explorer?
MIDI works this way, but audio can only go to physical outputs.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #85
Evan

yep yep yep.... 27b... it's a joy to be able to audition the media items (media bay) through their FX chains and track routing. Very good Cockos.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #86
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
yep yep yep.... 27b... it's a joy to be able to audition the media items (media bay) through their FX chains and track routing. Very good Cockos.
Yes, it is very useful BUT we can't preview items in different tracks, e.g.,

Track 1: item X
Track 2: item Y
Select Track 1
In Project Bay preview item Y

Result: It's not played through Track 1

Unless I'm missing something we can't do this, right?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #87
Evan

If I understood correctly...

As long as the media item exists in a track, it will play through that track, no matter what other track is selected.

If you want to play a media item through a (any) selected track, it must not exist in the arrangement view (be in a retained state).

(I have a minor caution with that last approach of playing through whatever is selected... it may so happen that some user accidentally sends a loud source media to a gain-amplifying track (with some distortion plugin or a +++ gain). Many users (myself included) don't always handle their gain staging properly, and we end up with recordings of low level, and lots of track gain to compensate. The result could be unexpected loud sound.)

Last edited by Evan; 01-09-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #88
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
If I understood correctly...

As long as the media item exists in a track, it will play through that track, no matter what other track is selected.

If you want to play a media item through a (any) selected track, it must not exist in the arrangement view (be in a retained state).
Yeah, that's the sad part about it

I thought I could use it to play different items through a couple of tracks with different FX Chains. Bummer.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #89
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Yeah, that's the sad part about it

I thought I could use it to play different items through a couple of tracks with different FX Chains. Bummer.
I actually like the current implementation
I want to be able to play each item through whatever track it is meant to be played. And not be careful on what track I have selected everytime I use the media bay audition.

Some strange behavior on media item drag-n-drop (media bay again).

1) Create an empty item and go to media bay.
2) Drag and drop it below (still in the media bay)
3) New track is created and a new item is created and positioned arbitrarily(?)
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #90
raaja

Default The parameter Menu is not available

Record Input Fx Parameter Menu N/A
In Input Fx Chain (parameter option)

I tried to set a audio track template with input fx added -volume pan plugin- to keep mic volume to desired level.

every time i open the input fx chain to change the values.(time consumption not possible)

cant it appear like track fx chain which do have a parameter control option in menu so that we can just turn the knobs to adjust desired values????

i feel its essential - what about others??? what you people think about a record input fx parameter menu?????
raaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #91
Xenakios

Quote:
v4.0alpha27a - January 9 2011
+ (27b) Project bay: preview plays through selected track if there is one
I am not sure if this is useful behavior to have always on. It requires clicking around in the track control panels area if there is a track selected and one wants to preview the media as is, without track fx.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #92
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
I am not sure if this is useful behavior to have always on. It requires clicking around in the track control panels area if there is a track selected and one wants to preview the media as is, without track fx.
Agreed; I vote for an option (play on selected track over item context).

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #93
Xenakios

This was probably mentioned already, but it would be good if the project bay preview looping was optional. Now that the looping is always on, it may sometimes cause some "buzzy" surprises with very short medias.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #94
gwok

getting this when right clicking on a file in the project bay

[IMG]http://img408.**************/img408/357/screenshot20110110at138.png[/IMG]

Uploaded with **************
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #95
musicbynumbers

I agree that tick boxes or right click option for both loop and play through selected tracks would be great.

But interesting and useful behavior to have in the project bays arsenal though!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #96
gwok

has linking project bay\main window selection been mentioned?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #97
lawrs

Quote:
Schwa, the thing is that's not what that option used to do in v3:

The main objective was to 'prevent the edit cursor to move at all", look at the use of the word area in v3

1. Move edit cursor when clicking note area

Thanks Mercado, that's exactly what I was trying to point out.

All these new additions to MIDI editor is great, but please allow an option to revert back to old behavior for those of us who has gotten used/happy with it the way it was..

This is the old behavior which I want to achieve

[img]http://img839.**************/img839/5838/moveeditcursor.gif[/img]

I noticed that the word "area" has been taken out though..

2. Deleting region markers

[img]http://img196.**************/img196/6007/deletemarker.gif[/img]

another issue overlooked .. when holding alt + left click on region marker, it doesn't delete the region marker if you don't click on the marker number/start/end point. The old behavior allows us to click anywhere on the region marker to delete the marker.

*For this gif, I was holding down alt while left-clicking*

3. Expanding time selection over item..

nightmare..

[img]http://img27.**************/img27/7859/timeselection.gif[/img]
I thought this was fixed.. well sort of.. but why does it still move the start point to a random location on first click?

What's worst, the behavior varies when clicking on different context (empty space is fine, start point doesn't get moved..)

4. In-item dotted marker lines

[img]http://img214.**************/img214/7272/howa.jpg[/img]

THIS IS AWESOME SHIZNITZ! Is there a way to insert this without being in "recording" mode ?

I like how it doesn't get deleted even after deleting the markers. It's very useful especially when there's too many markers, but you still need certain parts marked for note-ing things down.

P.S for those of you who hasn't stumbled upon this.. try inserting a marker while recording on the "recording" item..

Last edited by lawrs; 01-10-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #98
airon

Bug Report

ReaEQ, moving graphical handles with the mouse

ALT+click and drag of a handle doesn't work if the mouse cursor moves past the window boundaries of ReaEQ.

Comment and Complaint

Basing the range of any mouse-driven controls on the range of motion that the mouse cursor can travel to a screen or window edge is F*CKING retarded to begin with.

It limits functionality by where the control is on your screen, whereas it should only be limited by the motion of your mouse. In other words, the mouse cursor should disappear and for as long as the user holds that mouse button down, the control can be changed

This goes for
  • Item volume handle(#^@#!$#%#!!!!!!!!)
  • Envelopes (####^##%$^#^$^%#^$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Any Rea-plugin control when using finetune mouse movements
  • Any other control in Reaper

It's important to realize that this actually slows people down. If the item volume handle is being used, and the track is at the top, you're shit out of luck boosting the volume by any significant amount. The very same applies to envelopes. Nobody cares about where the mouse cursor can go, nor should they need to.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #99
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
v4.0alpha27b - January 9 2011
+ Mouse modifiers: deselect items when clicking (not dragging) in label area when shown above items
Thanks!
Works great + the unexpected take activation bug is also fixed, btw

Last edited by Jeffos; 01-10-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #100
EricM

Quote:
Yup, mostly a user just wants to hear exactly how the source / media
sounds, hearing it through the project should be entirely optional
and quickly available through media bay routing option. Mockup:

[img]http://img222.**************/img222/4685/mbayoutput.jpg[/img]

e
Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #101
Evan

Quote:
My take on this:

1) [AUDIO] Source Media should always be played 'dry', not routed through the tracks at all (selected or not). And there should be a volume control in the media bay for source playback. In other words: similar to the Media Explorer. Source media, is a dish better served RAW

(I am not sure I want the media bay to route through the Master Track, though I am inclined to want so.)

2) Media items (bay) should always play back through the track they are on. (media items belong in the arrangement, and in their tracks and fx chains)

3) Media items that are removed, but retained in the media bay, should play back raw and not be routed through any track (like with point 1). These are orphaned items and should sound dry. Again, a volume control is needed.

4) Duplicate items, and pooled items that are spread over separate tracks, should appear in separate rows in the Media Items list.

In other words...

media item X is pooled many times on track A: one entry in the list.
media item X is pooled many times on track A, and many times on track B: two entries in the list

That way, auditioning is predictable since an entry in the media items bay always spans a single track only.

5) An additional option 'play through selected track' can be implemented. This will allow playback of items through whatever track is selected each time.

I think it is necessary to have it as a separate and clear option, because it can be unpredictable due to gain issues (accidentally route a loud source to a loud track). You want to know when you're using this.

Last edited by Evan; 01-10-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #102
inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
[indent

Comment and Complaint

Basing the range of any mouse-driven controls on the range of motion that the mouse cursor can travel to a screen or window edge is F*CKING retarded to begin with.

It limits functionality by where the control is on your screen, whereas it should only be limited by the motion of your mouse. In other words, the mouse cursor should disappear and for as long as the user holds that mouse button down, the control can be changed

This goes for
  • Item volume handle(#^@#!$#%#!!!!!!!!)
  • Envelopes (####^##%$^#^$^%#^$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Any Rea-plugin control when using finetune mouse movements
  • Any other control in Reaper

It's important to realize that this actually slows people down. If the item volume handle is being used, and the track is at the top, you're shit out of luck boosting the volume by any significant amount. The very same applies to envelopes. Nobody cares about where the mouse cursor can go, nor should they need to.
[/indent]
++1
especially, the worst thing about the volume handle is that when it is around the middle of the item, it get in the way of moving the item

(there are some talks, including a thread i did, about how some of us would prefer the item volume handle to be always on top, and to move it with the mouse the way you say. by having the mouse not moving while you make adjustments)
inspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #103
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Not often to hear this kind of language from you, so bolding it to raise your point

You're definitely correct.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #104
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Not often to hear this kind of language from you, so bolding it to raise your point

You're definitely correct.
This brings even more problems when using an "absolute" device like the wacom pen pad as you can't go any further if your item is already near the top of the screen (but don't know how to get around that on these kind of devices so I'm kind of use to centring the arrange around the item before making the adjustment)
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #105
musicbynumbers

I like Evan's ideas as it seems to allow all options. I like the idea of both the source and media explorer being able to play through a selected channel or just straight out (bypassing master thankgod) and I also like the idea of duplicating items that appear on separate tracks BUT..

..I can see the need for some kind of grouping and sub foldering (the little arrow kind) with this as it's going to get hectic in big projects.

I DON'T like the idea of having a drop down menu for selecting the track to output through as if you have 100+ tracks it becomes as useless and although the selected track thing is not every ones cup of tea it is simple and effective

Quote:
My take on this:

1) [AUDIO] Source Media should always be played 'dry', not routed through the tracks at all (selected or not). And there should be a volume control in the media bay for source playback. In other words: similar to the Media Explorer. Source media, is a dish better served RAW

(I am not sure I want the media bay to route through the Master Track, though I am inclined to want so.)

2) Media items (bay) should always play back through the track they are on. (media items belong in the arrangement, and in their tracks and fx chains)

3) Media items that are removed, but retained in the media bay, should play back raw and not be routed through any track (like with point 1). These are orphaned items and should sound dry. Again, a volume control is needed.

4) Duplicate items, and pooled items that are spread over separate tracks, should appear in separate rows in the Media Items list.

In other words...

media item X is pooled many times on track A, and many times on track B: two entries in the list

That way, auditioning is predictable since an entry in the media items bay always spans a single track only.

5) An additional option 'play through selected track' can be implemented. This will allow playback of items through whatever track is selected each time.

I think it is necessary to have it as a separate and clear option, because it can be unpredictable due to gain issues (accidentally route a loud source to a loud track). You want to know when you're using this.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #106
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
..I can see the need for some kind of grouping and sub foldering (the little arrow kind) with this as it's going to get hectic in big projects.
I was thinking about this too, but I wasn't certain they can (or want to) pull that off at this point. If this is implemented, then point (4) in my suggestions is no longer necessary.

The limitation right now is that you cannot audition pooled or copied items that are spread into several tracks. You do not have direct control of which item/track to audition from because they appear as a single entry in the media list. Your idea solves this by exposing the individual copies in separate rows, in a collapsable tree.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #107
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
The limitation right now is that you cannot audition pooled or copied items that are spread into several tracks. You do not have direct control of which item/track to audition from because they appear as a single entry in the media list.
You can though, because the preview will get routed to the first selected track containing the media item.

Keep in mind that MIDI needs to get routed to a track to be audible at all, and if the MIDI is already in the project, you will almost always want to preview it through its existing track (you don't want to preview your synth lead line through a drum sampler, etc).
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #108
Evan

An actual example of what I am talking about... check the screenshot below:

[img]http://img11.**************/img11/3123/pooleditemspreview.png[/img]

Could you preview the items on drumkits #2 and #3 through the media bay? Or would it always play back trough drumkit #1?

My personal ambition is to be able to play each of the 3 items from the media bay.

(By the way, there IS a workaround... if I rename the midi items differently, even though still pooled, they get separate entries in the media bay which allows separate preview. But we're discussing optimal implementation here so throwing ideas around is good.)
Old 01-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #109
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Could you preview the items on drumkits #2 and #3 through the media bay? Or would it always play back trough drumkit #1?
Try it ... if you select one of the three tracks containing the media item, the preview should get routed to the selected track.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #110
gwok

would be nice if there was a way to tell the difference between media types in the project bay

even something as simple as

green arrow>audio
purple >midi
red >video

that or a media type column
Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #111
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
would be nice if there was a way to tell the difference between media types in the project bay
There is a media type column for source media. For media items, the source media filename (including extension) should be the first thing in the details column.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #112
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
T For media items, the source media filename (including extension) should be the first thing in the details column.
right, seeing now wave files have thier extension, though midi doesn't, which is fine, because if it doesn't say wave then it's midi

though different color for the arrow still might be handy, because then knowing media types wouldn't be dependent on the column width

also, i should add, I'm seeing lots of graphical glitches with the PB

[IMG]http://img151.**************/img151/1068/screenshot20110110at125.png[/IMG]

Uploaded with **************
Old 01-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #113
chriscomfort

Quote:
My take on this:

In other words...

I too like these and ErikM's suggestions. I really feel that in the Source Media bay, the Mute state of the containing Track should be irrelevant. And point 1.) above should take care of that.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #114
parfumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrs View Post
Any idea how I can get the old behavior?

Clicking on empty space doesn't move edit cursor.

Doubleclick to draw note doesn't move edit cursor.

I would really like to have the old settings back if possible.
I had to make four buttons, just to be able to return the cursor. Why these extra movements?
Need to return option "do not move edit cursor when click on empty space (or an item)
PLEASE!!!
parfumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #115
gwok

Default Midi previewed in PB disappears

Midi previewed in PB disappears in the main window

http://img440.**************/img440/9597/7up.mp4

also, isn't previewed midi supposed to play through the selected track?

Last edited by gwok; 01-10-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #116
hopi

Default dev's ... can you take a look plz?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...019#post658019

It seems there has been no notice about this issue for many alpha's now... strange
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #117
lawrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfumer View Post
I had to make four buttons, just to be able to return the cursor. Why these extra movements?
Need to return option "do not move edit cursor when click on empty space (or an item)
PLEASE!!!
Word. What a grief.

Cheers for speaking up.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #118
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfumer View Post
PLEASE!!!
Isn't this now dealt with in the mouse modifiers?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #119
parfumer

This isn`t currently in the mouse modifiers, either in actions and options...
parfumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #120
airon

I'm having a good time with the track manager. The text is small enough for me.

Schwa, perhaps it's a good idea to have a button for calling up the track view screenset window, which after all is a preset manager that includes track visibility.

The visual feedback from the click+swipe on the show/hide fields for the TCP and MCP is still a bit too little, and you're as of yet not finalizing the end of the range of the swipe when the user lets go of the mouse button, but during, which is bound to cause grief.

It should work like text selection. Like this :

[img]http://img138.**************/img138/823/wantedtextswipeselectme.gif[/img]
airon is offline   Reply With Quote