Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
accameron
Human being with feelings

Default Losing help that I'll ever get Reaper to run right (OSX)

I am a long time user of Cubase SX on PC, but I recently bought a macbook pro (2.8ghz intel core 2 duo, snow leopard OSX 10.6.5) and a focusrite saffire pro 40 to go with reaper. I have been unable to get reaper to work right.

First of all, when I plug an instrument into the saffire, you can hear the audio playing through the monitors, and it actually records, but the volume sliders do not affect the volume of the live input. Also, even when a track is not armed, you can hear whatever comes through the input. It's like its some sort of direct monitoring, and reaper cannot control the volume at all.

Also, under Reaper Preferences, the saffire shows up under "Device" but does not show up under "Midi Devices". I cannot use midi at all, nor can I use virtual instruments at all.

I have reinstalled the saffire software several times, their tech support said that it was a reaper issue.

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum, but can anyone help me? Thanks!
accameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
hopi

you don't say much about your set up and settings...

I can say that reaper works fine on mac's

I have also seen lots of people with problems using focusrite interfaces... so I would first of all look there....
Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
j79

if you can hear the input when the track is not armed, you need to look at the routing going on in the soundcard...you must have the input going out the speakers directly.

And the mixer in reaper is not supposed to control the input...it controls the output. you should adjust the input level on your interface.

Last edited by j79; 12-22-2010 at 03:35 PM.
j79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by accameron View Post
First of all, when I plug an instrument into the saffire, you can hear the audio playing through the monitors, and it actually records, but the volume sliders do not affect the volume of the live input.
Reaper doesn't have ASIO DM (and I'm not sure how that happens or if it even does on Mac anyway) so if you were accustomed to doing that with SX3, controlling your hardware input monitor levels from the software faders/pans during monitoring, Reaper won't do that with any soundcard.

Sounds like the card is passing direct ouput via it's internal settings so if it has it's own mixer interface, you'll have to launch it and do your monitor mixes there... or just shut it off if you plan to monitor through Reaper.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
accameron

hey thanks guys. Any idea about the midi issue? Neither Reaper nor Garageband seem to register the fact that my midi keyboard is plugged in.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
ChaseEversole

Quote:
hey thanks guys. Any idea about the midi issue? Neither Reaper nor Garageband seem to register the fact that my midi keyboard is plugged in.
Did you go to the "Audio/MIDI Setup" menu? It has to be activated in this menu for it to work properly.
ChaseEversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
accameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseEversole View Post
Did you go to the "Audio/MIDI Setup" menu? It has to be activated in this menu for it to work properly.
While the saffire shows up in reaper for regular audio inputs and outputs, it does not show up at all on the audio midi setup.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
While the saffire shows up in reaper for regular audio inputs and outputs, it does not show up at all on the audio midi setup.
Sorry for your trouble! According to this

http://www.focusrite.com/support/saffire/saffire_pro_40

site, Mix Control v2.2 "-Resolved issue where MIDI driver would not load when using Mac OS X in specific languages". Maybe your problem is related? That it doesn't show up at all sounds a bit like the driver is not present.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
UncleAge

Quote:
I am a long time user of Cubase SX on PC, but I recently bought a macbook pro (2.8ghz intel core 2 duo, snow leopard OSX 10.6.5) and a focusrite saffire pro 40 to go with reaper. I have been unable to get reaper to work right.

First of all, when I plug an instrument into the saffire, you can hear the audio playing through the monitors, and it actually records, but the volume sliders do not affect the volume of the live input. Also, even when a track is not armed, you can hear whatever comes through the input. It's like its some sort of direct monitoring, and reaper cannot control the volume at all.

Also, under Reaper Preferences, the saffire shows up under "Device" but does not show up under "Midi Devices". I cannot use midi at all, nor can I use virtual instruments at all.

I have reinstalled the saffire software several times, their tech support said that it was a reaper issue.

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum, but can anyone help me? Thanks!
I have a Pro 40 and I might be able to help you. Maybe.

First thing to know is that the volume sliders in the MixControl window control the volume of the direct monitoring, not the input into the DAW. Gain into the DAW is controlled by the knobs on the front of the unit. If you don't need to us direct monitoring you can (and should) mute each input channel that you will use, in the MixControl window.

**There is an exception to this rule if you are using the built-in loopback capabilities of the Pro40 to route audio between apps. This is really a feature that comes in handy on pc's where the ASIO spec normally places limitations on how many devices can have access at once. I do not think this is the issue in your case and CoreAudio does not have this limitation AFAIK. I just wanted to mention it as you may find some use for it later. And the loopback volume is adjusted using one of the main sliders all the way to the right in the MixControl panel**

Next issue is the midi. In the Audio/Midi control panel in OSX my Pro40's midi input shows up as "Pro40". However in Reaper it shows up as "MIDI". This is no big deal though as you can right click on it in the Reaper preferences and select "Configure Input" to change the name. So if you want to record midi through that device make sure it is enabled for input in the Reaper preferences and rename it if you so desire to add some clarity.

Now you should have the option of recording the midi input from the keyboard as well as any audio by choosing the desired input at the track level.
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
daal

UncleAge, as I'm thinking about buying a macbook pro for my saffire pro 40, I would like to know if you're using an adapter or just a 800/400 cable for your soundcard ??

Thanks a lot.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
UncleAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by daal View Post
UncleAge, as I'm thinking about buying a macbook pro for my saffire pro 40, I would like to know if you're using an adapter or just a 800/400 cable for your soundcard ??

Thanks a lot.
I can't help you with that Q. I'm on an iMac i7. However, in my setup, there is no adaptor, just a FW cable.
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #12
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by daal View Post

Thanks a lot.
A pro 40 user here too.On Mac and PC( in one of the studio I work in)
A 400/800 cable will do just fine.

Regards
Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #13
daal

Thanks a lot