Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
richie43
Human being with feelings

Default Old and new Reaper Compatibilitly

This is not really a bug, and probably more of a "duh" on my part, but I wanted to share this info with the Reaper community. I have been testing the alpha releases as they come out using the super handy portable install function (just in case). After reading more about the awesome stereo panning features for mixing, I immediately started tweaking a project that happens to be at the mix-down stage. As I got probably way ahead of myself and LOVING the sonic possibilities of having more spacial options, I proceeded to work heavily on the song. I will say that I have barely scratched the surface of this new version and it is awesome! But my problem arose when I went to open the song in Reaper 3.74... the first time it told me that it could not recognize some of the changes. That makes sense, Reaper 3 won't recognize the stereo panning changes. I can deal with that. So I closed it and tried to reopen it. Now Reaper 3 fades to grey and crashes every time. So I guess this is just a warning to any testers to make a copy of any song (before you tweak it in V4) if it may need to be opened in Reaper 3 again. It's probably obvious to many of you, but I am usually a smart guy and I was bummed. So for at least this particular project I am committed to seeing it through to completion on Reaper 4. It probably is a blessing in disguise but I just wanted to relate the story to y'all. Happy music!