Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default 4GB Raspberry Pi

A Linux media machine in my living room started smelling like something was on the verge of smoking, so I shut it down and confirmed the power supply was the source. I pulled the machine out and replaced it with my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running Raspbian with xfce. The Pi has all the music, videos, pics, and live/recorded HDTV functionality the full computer had and pulls it off without breaking a sweat.

This left me needing a replacement Raspberry Pi for general experimenting, so I decided to go for the 4GB model 4 in a kit with solid aluminum heat sink case, power, and memory card.

Should get it by next week and I'll be seeing what if anything can 4GB do for me in REAPER. ReaSamploMatic is about the only thing I can think of that will run on ARM and load samples. This is the kit I bought.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
BobF

It's soooooo CUTE!!!!
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
It's soooooo CUTE!!!!
Hehe, I already have one micro HDMI to HDMI cable and this kit comes with one, so I will have to try out it's new built-in dual monitor support. I only have a pair of 1080P monitors, but it supports dual 4k if you've got them.

I'm pretty blown away that the older 3 B+ Pi is filling a full computer's shoes so well as a multi-media machine, and it doesn't have the CPU vulnerabilities of the Intel based machine it replaced.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Xasman

Hi Glennbo,

Funny you should say that because I also just bought a raspberry pi4 (4GB version with a FLIRC aluminium heatsink case). Bought it for running Kodi as a media centre but couldn't resist buying 2 micro SD cards so I could have two OS's - one running Kodi in LibreELEC and another running raspbian to experiment with REAPER.

I've had it for about a week now but only just found the time to install REAPER on it. The first thing I noticed when running it was that REAPER won't output audio via the onboard audio outputs (selecting either ALSA or Pulse Audio in the Audio Prefs seems to make no difference. I tried both the HDMI audio and onboard jack outputs. They both work fine with other apps though.

Not sure what's going on there but haven't had time to do any tracking down. Will try it later with my RME Babyface which hopefully will work...

BTW...Kodi runs great!

Last edited by Xasman; 11-13-2019 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Glennbo

Sounds eerily familiar. I've got an 8GB card with LibreElec and a 64GB card with Raspbian that also has Kodi, REAPER and an xfce desktop.

I cut the cord on cable four years ago and setup a Linux machine running MythTV as a backend server with a 90 mile HDTV antenna in the attic and 4 HDHomerun ethernet dual tuners. LibreElec or Raspbian after you tweak a few things runs Kodi very well and it acts like a MythTV frontend along with it's other media functions.

With the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ I tried REAPER with my Behringer UMC1820 and it was able to playback a bass and guitar track while recording 4 tracks of acoustic drums, so I am confident that the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB of memory, higher clock speed, Etc., will do even better.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:11 AM   #6
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Sounds eerily familiar. I've got an 8GB card with LibreElec and a 64GB card with Raspbian that also has Kodi, REAPER and an xfce desktop.

I cut the cord on cable four years ago and setup a Linux machine running MythTV as a backend server with a 90 mile HDTV antenna in the attic and 4 HDHomerun ethernet dual tuners. LibreElec or Raspbian after you tweak a few things runs Kodi very well and it acts like a MythTV frontend along with it's other media functions.

With the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ I tried REAPER with my Behringer UMC1820 and it was able to playback a bass and guitar track while recording 4 tracks of acoustic drums, so I am confident that the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB of memory, higher clock speed, Etc., will do even better.
Hi ...

Was Raspbian the only absolute distro, you settled down to, or were there any other (more DAW suitable) distros, that you tried or would prefer / recommend ?

Were there any tweakings to be made regarding the (Raspbian) "realtime" installation ?

I have a Pi 3B+ myself and I'd like to try REAPER with it ...
Possibly using my TASCAM US-16x08 to try to record 16 tracks at once .

- BOne -
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne72 View Post
Hi ...

Was Raspbian the only absolute distro, you settled down to, or were there any other (more DAW suitable) distros, that you tried or would prefer / recommend ?

Were there any tweakings to be made regarding the (Raspbian) "realtime" installation ?

I have a Pi 3B+ myself and I'd like to try REAPER with it ...
Possibly using my TASCAM US-16x08 to try to record 16 tracks at once .

- BOne -
I tried Mate and one other distro, I can't remember which, but they both seemed sluggish to me, so I went back to Raspbian. I don't really like the desktop in Raspbian though so I found a how to article and replaced it with xfce which to me feels faster than the native Raspbian desktop.

As for recording with the Pi, I did most of the tweaks from this article on setting up Pianoteq, but these are mostly to get lower latency.

https://www.modartt.com//downloads/g...erryPi3_v3.pdf

I'm pretty confident that I could have recorded more than four tracks at once, it's just what my drums are setup for. If you aren't playing back anything and just wanting to record 16 tracks by themselves, you might be able to do that with no tweaks at all, but you will want whatever the fastest memory card you can get unless you are recording to an external USB drive or something. When I did my testing I was using a 64GB Samsung EVO SDHC card that was the same media I booted the Pi from.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:01 AM   #8
gennargiu

Great Raspberry pi 4 I have it and esperimental for music and audio production uses reaper 5 native experimental and new pre-release ardour 6 armhf version. This programs work good with rpi4. For system i used raspbian buster or fluxbox windows manager very light destop.

gennaro
Old 11-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Glennbo

Raspbian Buster is what I'll be trying initially, but I'll probably switch it to an xfce desktop like I had with my 3 B+ Pi.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #10
Glennbo

Got my 4GB Pi a few days ago and have been getting it setup. I'm liking the way I can switch between the composite video output and dual HDMI via the Raspbian config app. If I enable composite out, it wants to reboot and comes up in the fourth slot on my security system DVR. If I disable composite video it reboots and comes up on my dual HDMI displays.

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-25-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:12 AM   #11
4duhwinnn

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/v...p?f=21&t=68153

This is about the Yoshimi synth dev making it work
on a Pi. Seems from the text, to be pretty fluent with
electronics, so might be a good resource if questions pop up
about the pi hardware, and related sundries.
Some might be new to Yoshimi, it's based on zynaddsubfx synth,
sounds are compatible, 16 part multi-timbral,
but the code branched off years ago, with some special new
capabilities added over time.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
Glennbo

Default Carla Pi

I decided to see if I could get Carla going, and all it takes to make that happen is to add KXStudio repositories to your Pi, do an apt update, install Carla and add it's .so location to REAPER's VST search paths. Then Carla Rack shows up in REAPER for ARM as a VSTi plugin where you can load SF2/SFZ files among other things.

Edit:

I hooked my Behringer UMC1820 and midi keyboard up to the Raspberry Pi and recorded this test piece of music with six instances of Carla hosting drums, bass, piano, guitar, organ, and tenor sax. REAPER vaporized on me multiple times, so I disabled the overclocking I was experimenting with. It still vaporized on me one more time after that, but seemed to be more stable.

I was running Carla stand alone as a SF2/SFZ host and it vaporized on me, so I suspect that it is what was vaporizing REAPER during my earlier testing.

-

Last edited by Glennbo; 03-15-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:58 PM   #13
s wave

here is is link to sunbox and moon box Raspberry pi synth:
https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3733
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
BenK-msx

got a pi 4 unexpectadly for christmas - so have had to fork £20 to get it powered and cabled up !! some present.. - don't mind really.

first thought is to have it run reaper of course, and not being a fan of terminal access faffery, i dare to ask how straightforward getting reaper going should be? and to then get an audio interface to play nice naturally -

that and maybe being hooked up to tv and showing google slides and videos etc. as a learning tool whilst my main daw does other things.

in the midst of getting raspian downloaded and put onto sd card then will fire up...
Old 12-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
got a pi 4 unexpectadly for christmas - so have had to fork £20 to get it powered and cabled up !! some present.. - don't mind really.

first thought is to have it run reaper of course, and not being a fan of terminal access faffery, i dare to ask how straightforward getting reaper going should be? and to then get an audio interface to play nice naturally -

that and maybe being hooked up to tv and showing google slides and videos etc. as a learning tool whilst my main daw does other things.

in the midst of getting raspian downloaded and put onto sd card then will fire up...
Once you have Raspbian running, use Chromium to download the ARM version of REAPER. At the bottom left of Chromium you will see the download and when done, double click it, which will bring it up in the archive manager. From there pull down the action menu and select extract. By default it will try to go to /tmp but I override that and point it to the download folder.

Now that the file is extracted, double click the home folder on your desktop, navigate to Downloads where you can see the reaper_linux_arm71 folder. Right click it and select Open Terminal Here. Once in the terminal just issue the command,

bash install-reaper.sh

and answer the prompts that come up. I always use "I,2,Y,Y".

Edit:

As to the non REAPER stuff, I'm using mine as a multimedia computer on my second monitor. You can install the Synaptic package manager which will make it so you can install other stuff without getting into a terminal window. Once I had installed that, I installed Kodi, which if you aren't familiar with is a very good media center software. I use it to stream live and recorded HDTV, plus do photos, videos, and music. I also switched the desktop to xfce which was just a matter of using Synaptic to install it, and then issuing in a terminal window the sooper sekret long command,

sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

which then shows you all the desktops you could use, and you just pick the one that has startxfce4 in the name.

Last edited by Glennbo; 12-29-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #16
BenK-msx

Ah Nicely timed Glennbo, thanks much as that process was on my mind!

just got the thing fired up in front of me - it's going though the 'update itself' phase after connecting to WiFi..

Will update as and when a daw appears

Edit: success!
V clear instructions thank you, just figured out I need to select a bit depth that isn't 32 for alsa to work so got sound - tho no audio to play just yet...

Yay

Last edited by BenK-msx; 12-29-2019 at 06:20 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #17
Glennbo

Very cool! As for audio interfaces, almost anything you plug into it will be recognized. I plugged my Behringer UMC1820 into it, and it was instantly available for REAPER to use. That interface is normally on my DAW, but I hooked it up just to see how it would work, and it passed with flying colors.

Normally I'm using a cheap USB audio interface that is a USB cable with mic and line jacks at the end of it, and it works fine with REAPER although at much higher latency. I'm not using HDMI audio because I switch between the composite video output and HDMI and wanted one audio source that is the same for both, rather then having to hook up two different audio cables.

When I have it on analog composite video, it shows up as one of the feeds on my security system, and when it's on HDMI it takes over my main and secondary monitors for dual screen use. It's nice being able to run news on the security monitor and still see what all the cameras are picking up, but if I need to configure something, I can put it on the 40" main monitor and see what I'm doing. All the switching is done through the Raspberry Pi configuration app too, with no cable swaps needed.

You can see Kodi running in the fourth slot on my second monitor when it's on the security system.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/34/img...205_799404.jpg

-
Old 12-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #18
BenK-msx

Had a bit of a faff getting screen resolution right now discovering can't get audio out to HDMI.. will try plugging in a USB interface tho..

Much to explore I think but reaper looks good and snappy enough,.
Encouraging that you have a few different usages also ... Cheers again, will no doubt have the odd further q !
Old 12-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #19
RCJacH

Has anyone tried connecting joysticks on Raspberry Pi 4?
I tried to connect wiimote to rpi4 in reaper, and apparently clicking "Add joystick MIDI" in the MIDI Devices section of preferences does not do anything.
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJacH View Post
Has anyone tried connecting joysticks on Raspberry Pi 4?
I tried to connect wiimote to rpi4 in reaper, and apparently clicking "Add joystick MIDI" in the MIDI Devices section of preferences does not do anything.
I plugged in an old Saitek joystick and confirmed that it was working using some of the commands, like installing joystick on this page.

http://mpolaczyk.pl/raspberry-pi-ser...tion-protocol/

Issuing sudo cat /dev/input/js0 confirmed that it was being read, but the add joystick midi option in REAPER didn't see it.

I've never tried to use a joystick with REAPER, but it looks like that option is for those midi interfaces that plugged into a joystick port, like this old school cable.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #21
RCJacH

Quote:
I plugged in an old Saitek joystick and confirmed that it was working using some of the commands, like installing joystick on this page.

http://mpolaczyk.pl/raspberry-pi-ser...tion-protocol/

Issuing sudo cat /dev/input/js0 confirmed that it was being read, but the add joystick midi option in REAPER didn't see it.

I've never tried to use a joystick with REAPER, but it looks like that option is for those midi interfaces that plugged into a joystick port, like this old school cable.

From my experience on windows, REAPER actually support joysticks connected through bluetooth (super awesome), which is why I made the attempt to use wiimote on rpi4 in the first place. Currently, wiimote is connected and (probably) recognized, but the joystick pop-up windows doesn't open at all on my rpi4.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:01 AM   #22
Glennbo

Have you installed the joystick package?

sudo apt-get install joystick

I don't know if that's needed for REAPER or not, coz like I mentioned, I've never tried to interface a joystick with REAPER.

What does it do? Act like a pitch bend and modulation controller?
Old 12-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #23
RCJacH

Quote:
Have you installed the joystick package?

sudo apt-get install joystick

I don't know if that's needed for REAPER or not, coz like I mentioned, I've never tried to interface a joystick with REAPER.

What does it do? Act like a pitch bend and modulation controller?
I just tried installed joystick package, but it doesn't help at all, still no pop-up.

I'm trying to use wiimote to control project playback for a live situation, to send midi control messages to jump to various markers and regions. But for production, yeah pitch bend and modulation controller, kinda like a cheaper version of leap motion thing.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #24
Glennbo

For grins I booted Win7 on my dual boot DAW, and see the popup box now that isn't happening on Raspbian AND on Xubuntu which is the other OS on my DAW. The Windows version let me add my Saitek joystick, but it seemed to have no effect on playing a Kontakt synth sound. I'm guessing you have to go somewhere and configure what you want the X,Y, and Z axis to do, along with assigning buttons.

Have you ever heard of the Flirc IR device? It's a tiny USB IR receiver that is universal, meaning it can see the IR codes from *any* IR remote, and then you can assign plain old ascii keystrokes to buttons on the remote. The cool thing with these is once you configure the tiny hardware, you can move it to another machine, and since it just looks like a USB keyboard to a computer, there is no configuration or drivers needed.

https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb

With the same TV remote that controls my 40" DAW monitor, I can also control REAPER, and for drums that are across the room, it works very well.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #25
SgtD

Default VST and plugins

has anyone got any to work on the Pi4 4g? Compression? Reverb? etc?
SgtD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:00 AM   #26
RCJacH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtD View Post
has anyone got any to work on the Pi4 4g? Compression? Reverb? etc?
I have native plugins running fine, but could not find any third party .so plugins, even with the correct plugin search path.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:40 AM   #27
mschnell

Are there any "standard" (i.e. .so, not Android or IOS) Audio plugins for ARM at all ?

Maybe some open source that you can compile ourself for ARM...

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #28
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Are there any "standard" (i.e. .so, not Android or IOS) Audio plugins for ARM at all ?

Maybe some open source that you can compile ourself for ARM...

-Michael
The LSP plugins are now available for ARM processors as of v1.1.11.

Also KX.Studio repositories now have stuff for ARM. I've got Carla running on my Pi 4 and can now play all my SF2/SFZ files.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #29
SgtD

Default AmpSims?

Any AmpSims working on Pi? I know this may be a stretch for the processor and memory but I figured I would ask.
SgtD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #30
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtD View Post
Any AmpSims working on Pi? I know this may be a stretch for the processor and memory but I figured I would ask.
See this post:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....27#post2231227
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:55 AM   #31
monty

interesting thread .... would it be possible to build a raspberry cluster (3 or more devices) so the combined devices get 3 times more CPU power & RAM (also more GPU connectors)?
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #32
mschnell

Something like ReaMote (without the need to install the plugins on both sites) would be awesome to build "clusters" of PCs, Macs and RasPis

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:26 AM   #33
monty

I meant something like that, should be possibly also for raspberry?

https://www.amazon.de/PINE64-Sophine.../dp/B07BBNRXHK

### edit ###

looks promising

https://www.hackster.io/news/turing-...t-2f8a37518d00
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII

Last edited by monty; 01-19-2020 at 09:19 AM.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:08 AM   #34
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
The first thing I noticed when running it was that REAPER won't output audio via the onboard audio outputs (selecting either ALSA or Pulse Audio in the Audio Prefs seems to make no difference.
Sorry to have taken so long to follow up on this, but I did eventually find a few minutes to track down what was going on here.

The problem was that (in Preferences-->Audio-->Device) I had selected the onboard sound in both the "Input device" and "Output device" fields (because I would normally select both in the case of whichever interface I'm using). However, on the pi, of course, there's no built-in audio input (unless you've added a piggy-back card). It's still possible to select built-in audio as an input device though - and if you do this then it produces an error message.

The solution, if you just want to playback audio through the pi's built in outputs, is to SELECT ONLY THE OUTPUT DEVICE, leaving the input device blank. It then works.

Obviously, when using a USB interface which has both input and outputs, you can (and should) select it in both the Input and Output Device fields.

Sorry if this solution sounds ludicrously obvious, but I thought I would post this anyway in case anyone else should encounter the same problem.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #35
Dennis Dunbar

Default Fails to boot on RPi 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Had a bit of a faff getting screen resolution right now discovering can't get audio out to HDMI.. will try plugging in a USB interface tho..

Much to explore I think but reaper looks good and snappy enough,.
Encouraging that you have a few different usages also ... Cheers again, will no doubt have the odd further q !
I am new to this and the first time I started it it came right up. Now most of the time it goes through initialization sometimes presents the panel asking to buy or evaluate then disappears.

Is this something that will go away if I buy it?
Dennis Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:37 AM   #36
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dunbar View Post
I am new to this and the first time I started it it came right up. Now most of the time it goes through initialization sometimes presents the panel asking to buy or evaluate then disappears.

Is this something that will go away if I buy it?
Yep, that's the standard nag screen. You won't see it when you've purchased Reaper and have a license key installed.

Last edited by Xasman; 01-25-2020 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #37
Dennis Dunbar

Default I understand the Nag screen but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Yep, that's the standard nag screen. You won't see it when you've purchased Reaper and have a license key installed.
It just plain DOES NOT OPEN afterward. Some time I get the NAG and it opens sometimes I don't get the NAG and it doesn't open. It shows 'Initializing" then starts to show a box then poof - gone.

Last edited by Dennis Dunbar; 01-26-2020 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #38
cyrano

Starting to smell as if some antivirus interfering...
Old 01-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #39
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dunbar View Post
It just plain DOES NOT OPEN afterward. Some time I get the NAG and it opens sometimes I don't get the NAG and it doesn't open. It shows 'Initializing" then starts to show a box then poof - gone.
That doesn't happen here. I suggest you try a portable install instead somewhere in your home folder and see if that behaves in the same way.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #40
Dennis Dunbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Starting to smell as if some antivirus interfering...
Impossible. It is a fresh install of Raspbian.