Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-06-2019, 04:48 AM   #161
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Hmmm. Yes, that is a bit jarring.

I have to admit that I haven't started looking at track colours yet. For what I do I tend not to bother.

Is it not possible to tone things down a bit?
Old 12-06-2019, 04:52 AM   #162
ramses

I also dislike the negative and insulting tone people use when trying to critique the 6.0 theme. I generally like the theme. White Tie is a very experienced designer, and he makes a lot of very clever and thought through decisions.

Some things I can't understand though.

The big one is the full-on tinting of the panels, necessarily followed by the absurd color tweaker thingy, that only exists to make it possible for the user to NOT use the chosen colors, in order to be able to see things clearly. I can't understand how this is a rational way to go about things. The time wasted on the color-tweaker code and stuff should have been utilized to get rid of whole-panel tinting in favour of readability and clarity. The way it is is like WT realizes that tinting panels fully is problematic, but instead of fixing it, we get a band-aid, another layer of complication, with very little real-world utility. I find this very hard to understand.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:53 AM   #163
camerondye

I don't think you are being sensitive Synkrotron, some people are being straight up rude and should back it down a little. White Tie has to make something that is down the middle that not everybody is going to like. He is trying things out and some aren't going to like that and it's ok, but just be respectful telling your opinions because he's a nice guy that is very helpful on these forums.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #164
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
track 8 is on
track 7 is off

you can tell by the little bar at the top of the fx 'thingy'

Wow that little line is TINY. Its even worse on my 23" 1920x 1080 monitors.
Maybe there is a more visible option in the wings that we haven't found yet?
Old 12-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #165
arnozan

I've been using Reaper since 2009, his appearance has always been a problem for me, since v3 I've been using custom themes, whenever I recommended Reaper to a new user the first feedack was that his appearance was unprofessional, I always hoped that in a new version the appearance of Reaper would be improved, now in v6 I feel completely frustrated and I think this problem will never be solved,
arnozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #166
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnozan View Post
I've been using Reaper since 2009, his appearance has always been a problem for me, since v3 I've been using custom themes, whenever I recommended Reaper to a new user the first feedack was that his appearance was unprofessional, I always hoped that in a new version the appearance of Reaper would be improved, now in v6 I feel completely frustrated and I think this problem will never be solved,

What do you prefer?
IOW what DAW gets it right, or closer to the ideal?
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #167
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfreedom View Post

Track and item colors are extremely bright
OK. These are the types of opinions that are born out of not understanding how the theme works.

It's explained in this video:

https://youtu.be/I8LTBlNzmhA

But the gist of it is that colors can NOT be too bright or dark. You choose the colors.

Unlike in v5 you "can" make them extremely bright. But it's your choice. The theme is just a vehicle. It's your choice if you want to drive it off a cliff.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #168
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post

What's to become of all the Kenny Vids for Version 5?
The main ones (REAPER Explained) are being re-done and the older ones will fall into two categories:

If the features are the same, they will be left alone.

If the features changed, they will be redone.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #169
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post

But honest opinions, both positive and negative, about the product, is what's essential in order to have progress.
I don't know how you can draw that conclusion.

Did telling Britney Spears and Justin Bieber that their music sucked, even in a polite way, have an affect?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #170
Softsynth

bOse compared two themes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
From this: consistent, smooth, clear & calming...
To my mind the Reaper 6 theme is far better in terms of practicality compared to that theme, and if you want the colours to be more muted to match that relatively fiddly little theme you have chosen (as visually pleasing as it is) then go into the Reaper 6 theme adjuster and click "dim all assigned custom colors" under "custom colors".

My little monitors are about an arm and a half length away from my eyes (very scientific measurement I know). Fusion Swiss edition's GUI graphics are pitifully small and fiddly in comparison on these little LCD panels here. OTOH someone staring into a laptop without a desk of kit in front of them may prefer using the Fusion theme. Maybe the same could be said for those with larger LCD screens too.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #171
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
To my mind the Reaper 6 theme is far better in terms of practicality compared to that theme, and if you want the colours to be more muted to match that relatively fiddly little theme you have chosen (as visually pleasing as it is) then go into the Reaper 6 theme adjuster and click "dim all assigned custom colors" under "custom colors".

My little monitors are about an arm and a half length away from my eyes (very scientific measurement I know). Fusion Swiss edition's GUI graphics are pitifully small and fiddly in comparison on these little LCD panels here. OTOH someone staring into a laptop without a desk of kit in front of them may prefer using the Fusion theme. Maybe the same could be said for those with larger LCD screens too.
Appreciate the dimming tip, but that's not the problem, it's the inconsistent/incoherent UI design. Soften it a bit, use a design theme/palette and things can be improved considerably.
b0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #172
Credge

Hi, I'm not a professional, primarily just a hobbyist. From my post record I'm sure you can see I don't post here very often. It's been over four years, I think, since I've posted anything. I have not used the new theme yet, but I will tonight when I get home. When I started with Reaper, in version 3, I think? I liked one of the themes there but it doesn't seem to have been a theme in more recent versions (getting band mates to get Reaper so they can record at home).

As stated, I have not tried the new GUI yet but I would like to give my initial impressions based on videos and screenshots I have seen. I will make a new post later after using it and will also include before and after shots.

The adjustability. I really like the adjustable sizes and positions of several of these options. My biggest gripe, when hearing about the theme, was that some things were hidden when the mixer was visible. I >really< like being able to have the option to turn on specific things when the mixer is visible, or a track is selected, or armed, etc. The folder indent options are great, too. The mixer panel customization is great too. It's my least used UI element (although I do use it from time to time) and I've always wanted to use it more. I think the indentation and border options will get me to sue that more.

Effects in the GUI. I don't really know how usable the EQ is when it is tiny like that, but I like the direction it is going. I'll definitely be testing this feature out. I think it would be a good idea to be able to load any plugin as a quick reference there. Not live, or anything, but there are several plugins I will change while I'm mixing and recording things that I would like to save clicks on. As an example, having access to bring up Amplitube on a track with one click instead of 2-4 would be nice! Again, I know this isn't current function, but I think it would be a very helpful way to speed up the process of mixing.

This isn't really a theme thing but I really like the routing map. Will be a big help for me!

Dislikes:

There isn't really a congruence of design. Lots of different fonts used in different elements. It's not a big deal, to be honest, it just looks a little off.

The theme adjustment menu looks like a Spiderweb Interactive menu. I love their games but it's a bit low budget looking? Not sleek? I dunno. The font used for some of the stuff there is a little corny? Pretty minor.

Midi seems to be a concern for me. I use midi a good deal in my song writing and it just seems like a bit of a mess going by screenshots. I'll know more tonight on that!

I will say that I'm getting ready to start attempting to move my hobby in to something a bit more serious, so I think a fresh look at my work flow is in order.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #173
KenB

I haven't used v6.0 much but I think the theme ... in some places ... is a slight improvement. But overall I have the same gripes as always.

* Legibility seems very slightly better ... but it's still lousy.

* Faint gray fonts ... stop it for God's sake ... it's just awful.

* Lack of contrast.

* Though functional ... the same ole' third world styled UI's for the bundled FX look amateurish.

* Though I've used Reaper since v4.12 ... I find the UI of everything Reaper bloody uninspiring.

* It seems to me a basic requirement for any UI is that it be readable. Over the years we've had a fair amount of complaints about the lack of legibility. I was hoping it would be addressed in v6 but evidently the developers either don't think it's necessary or are unable to do it due to a limitation of some sort. I'm sure the developers put lots of effort into the theme ... yet I'm left with the thought ... "what were they thinking". I'm weary of spending hours hoping to find a user them that makes up for the legibility problems of the default theme. I think the v6 theme is a big disappointment.

KenB

Last edited by KenB; 12-07-2019 at 05:34 AM.
KenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #174
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Mather 5150 View Post
Nah, "Input FX" not "FX"
ah...well that is a tough call for sure, good point
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #175
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post

FYI I'm using a 65" screen as a monitor - far from fiddly. You would, of course, select a theme that suits your needs.

Dimming mode seems to have a bug? You can't reset back to normal, or at least, I couldn't find a way to go back up the scale. only down, until you hit greyscale.
b0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #176
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Surely it is all a matter of choice.

Do we have to be so rude? The new default theme looks fine to me. It certainly does not deserve all the negative vibe it is receiving.

Hopefully the theme designers are thick skinned because I find some of this stuff quite upsetting.
I get what you're saying, but to be honest the whole situation is kind of upsetting when you look at the pre-release threads of all the feedback given well before release. Some of it was really good feedback that would have satiated many of the complaints here. What is upsetting is how ALL of the feedback was literally brushed off as "that's the way it is and will be" with almost no consideration at all. And now we're presented with "tada, here's your new theme, enjoy". WTF?

On the one hand, as WT said we really haven't lost anything since all the other themes still work...and we've only gained a new theme option. But what was lost that people don't see, is trust.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #177
nait

Quote:
FYI I'm using a 65" screen as a monitor - far from fiddly. You would, of course, select a theme that suits your needs.

Dimming mode seems to have a bug? You can't reset back to normal, or at least, I couldn't find a way to go back up the scale. only down, until you hit greyscale.
I believe WT said you can use undo (ex. ctrl-z), but of course, that assumes you haven't done anything between your fading changes that you don't want to undo. Not exactly elegant, but I'd imagine we'll have something to go the other direction one day and this will have to suffice for now.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #178
themixtape

Quote:
Yes. I would like an option to go in reverse. It makes sense to not just dim it, but to go back one or two clicks, if you feel you've gone too far.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #179
synkrotron

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but to be honest the whole situation is kind of upsetting when you look at the pre-release threads of all the feedback given well before release. Some of it was really good feedback that would have satiated many of the complaints here. What is upsetting is how ALL of the feedback was literally brushed off as "that's the way it is and will be" with almost no consideration at all. And now we're presented with "tada, here's your new theme, enjoy". WTF?

On the one hand, as WT said we really haven't lost anything since all the other themes still work...and we've only gained a new theme option. But what was lost that people don't see, is trust.
Fair enough.

I haven't even ventured into the pre-release forum so I suppose I should keep my nose out.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #180
deaman312

Default Little Niggles

So a couple of things:

- Like being able to scale up the theme to 150% on my QHD monitor. Wish this was a one click setting and included the ability to scale up the timeline and macro icons.

- Some weird spaces exist at times when moving the TCP around.

- Not clear how to get the peak volume readout from the TCP like before.

- Envelope names are missing until the tracks are stretched horizontally. The space is there but they just don't show.

I hope the Reaper team keeps working and making this the best DAW ever (it's pretty nearly there already imo). Was hoping for a complete UI overhaul in a more modernistic fashion, but maybe thats coming in 6.5 ?

Last edited by deaman312; 12-06-2019 at 12:59 PM.
deaman312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #181
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Fair enough.

I haven't even ventured into the pre-release forum so I suppose I should keep my nose out.
It was clearly stated that testing was required and not suggestions for changes. But you know what people are like...

It's only because they want to help make REAPER more awesome, but passion can make some people forget manners.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #182
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
but passion can make some people forget manners.
Indeed it does
Old 12-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #183
Supremo

Thanks god there is a wonderful human being called BlankFiles, whose awesome 'I Logic V3' theme, which I tweaked a bit to my personal taste, helped me avoid this amateur-looking color-pornographic Default theme, pardon my French.

https://ibb.co/sw9x3qt

Sorry if it sounds harsh but I really love Reaper and it's very sad to realize that GUI in version 6 has yet again become a missed opportunity.

Last edited by Supremo; 12-06-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Supremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #184
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
I really hate for anyone to think I speak for White Tie. I don't. I speak for the trees.

Do a quick google search of "design by committee" and show me a few articles that discuss what a great idea it is. It's not. It's a terrible idea because it doesn't work. It lacks vision because at some point, as with any creative venture, someone has to take the lead and decide what looks best.

I'm sure from your (and others) vantage point, it "seems" that White Tie ignored all of the suggestions. He didn't. Over the years, he has compiled all of the complaints about the version 5 theme and fixed the ones he agreed with. With the goal of keeping as many people happy as possible.

We all know that's not possible. And if your vision for the v6 theme is different, that's just the way it is. If it was 100% design by committee, your opinion would have counted for .01%.

At some point, if 500 people want black and 500 people want white, 500 people are going to be unhappy. And they're going to think they're subjective opinion wasn't taken into account. I assure you, it was. Within reason. Either the person(s) in charge disagreed with your suggestion or 51% of the feedback did.

Design by committee, where everyone gets equal input, does NOT make everyone happy. It makes everyone equally miserable.

This new theme has a distinct vision and many people's opinions were considered. It's just not obvious to each of you because every one of you has a different subjective opinion and vision.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #185
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I really hate for anyone to think I speak for White Tie. I don't. I speak for the trees.

Do a quick google search of "design by committee" and show me a few articles that discuss what a great idea it is. It's not. It's a terrible idea because it doesn't work. It lacks vision because at some point, as with any creative venture, someone has to take the lead and decide what looks best.

I'm sure from your (and others) vantage point, it "seems" that White Tie ignored all of the suggestions. He didn't. Over the years, he has compiled all of the complaints about the version 5 theme and fixed the ones he agreed with. With the goal of keeping as many people happy as possible.

We all know that's not possible. And if your vision for the v6 theme is different, that's just the way it is. If it was 100% design by committee, your opinion would have counted for .01%.

At some point, if 500 people want black and 500 people want white, 500 people are going to be unhappy. And think they're subjective opinion wasn't taken into account. I assure you, it was. Within reason. Either the person(s) in charge disagreed with your suggestion or 51% of the feedback did.

Design by committee, where everyone gets equal input, does NOT make everyone happy. It makes everyone equally miserable.

This new theme has a distinct vision and many people's opinions were considered. It's just not obvious to each of you because every one of you has a different subjective opinion.

Hope that helps.
But Kenny, there's something you're forgetting...

MY OPINION IS THE CORRECT ONE AND THOSE WHO HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS ARE WRONG!

Old 12-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #186
synkrotron

Quote:
Hope that helps.
Yes Kenny, thanks.

As for me, now that I have been playing around with the R6 default theme and the theme adjuster, I am missing my dumb divider tracks. And the ability to make the master track a little bit narrower.

But if I switched back to the R5 default I was using in R5 then I would miss certain things like folder indent in the mixing panel.

I am going to keep on switching between the two in the meantime.

Still early days so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the future.

And now it's time I got back to making "music" again, instead of faffing around.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #187
lowellben

Quote:
I'm sure from your (and others) vantage point, it "seems" that White Tie ignored all of the suggestions. He didn't.
But he did. Well, not all. Most.

Quote:
Over the years, he has compiled all of the complaints about the version 5 theme and fixed the ones he agreed with.
Ding ding ding. That's the TLDR.

Sadly, if you (not you literally but you as in "people") actually truly read each and every post of his theme threads where he "asked for feedback", he almost universally went against the majority of people who shared the same idea when he had a different view. He chose his 1 over the 90% of userbase. This is not up for debate. The posts are there.

You are right though, he DID fix the ones HE agreed with absolutely.

And the ratio was more like 80/20 as far as the people wanting certain things. He went with the 20, his 20. It's not 500/500 50% 50% at all lol. Just sayin'. If that were the case, then so be it. I'm a fair gent.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #188
poetnprophet

Quote:

At some point, if 500 people want black and 500 people want white, 500 people are going to be unhappy. And they're going to think they're subjective opinion wasn't taken into account. I assure you, it was. Within reason. Either the person(s) in charge disagreed with your suggestion or 51% of the feedback did.

This new theme has a distinct vision and many people's opinions were considered. It's just not obvious to each of you because every one of you has a different subjective opinion and vision.

Hope that helps.
Kenny, always appreciate your insight and efforts to crowd control here, and I do get that it isn't necessarily helpful if everyone's input is considered.

But, there are some things that were brought up early on that many are not happy about now. I'm not talking about the 1000's of .01%, I'm talking about the few big glaring issues that take up probably 50% of the feedback now after release. I personally didn't even contribute to the feedback during pre-release (ok I made one comment lol), but I sat and watched nearly all of it and from the outside that's what it felt like. You were a part of those discussions so you know exactly what i'm talking about.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #189
lowellben

Quote:

But, there are some things that were brought up early on that many are not happy about now. I'm not talking about the 1000's of .01%, I'm talking about the few big glaring issues that take up probably 50% of the feedback now after release. You were a part of those discussions so you know exactly what i'm talking about.
A majority of the userbase that opted to leave feedback in the first place had the same glaring issues yup. But that's just how it went I guess. But sometimes people favor loyalty over logic. They don't hide it.

I let 'em be.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #190
Lokasenna

I honestly wouldn't care if it was just things like "the different 3d effects on some knobs is jarring", but the overall darkness and lack of contrast would be considered a huge useability problem if I did that for my day job as a web developer.

Dark themes don't have to have super low contrast. Increasing it doesn't have to mean the text has to be like staring into a laser pointer. There's a huge middle ground, but in my opinion WT has chosen to remain outside and really hasn't given any reason for doing so. Granted, he isn't obligated to, but the purpose of public feedback is to have that discussion rather than simply shutting it down and saying "my group of private testers were all fine with it so you're wrong".

I have good eyesight and I find v6 awkward enough that I won't use the default; older folks, or people with actual visual problems, may not be able to use Reaper at all. It's all well and good to offer a super-dark theme as an option, but for it to be the sole theme available for a new install is downright rude.

Not that I think it would ever be problem for Cockos, but ignoring accessibility has actually landed companies like Dominos in court - and they've typically lost the argument.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #191
Evan

Quote:
I don't know how you can draw that conclusion.

Did telling Britney Spears and Justin Bieber that their music sucked, even in a polite way, have an affect?
I fail to get the analogy.

Is the purpose of a software's UI, to let the designer(s) express their thoughts and emotions to the world?

Quote:
Unlike bug hunting by committee, which makes most people happy, because it reveals most problems and bugs, which is partially what this is also about...

As an example: see the Reaper 6 timeline font/background colors fail basic accessibility tests
https://webaim.org/resources/contras...&bcolor=333333

Last edited by Evan; 12-06-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #192
DrKev

Likes: Most of it. It'm surprised how much I want to keep most of it just the way it is! Thank you!

I love the new toolbar buttons and the flat look in general. The black MCP is very surprisingly nice!

I'm not someone who has my screen brightness high (Retina 15" MBP, usually set to 60% brightness) and I don't find it too dark.

Dislikes
:

It feels generally unfinished and a rushed release.

Lo-res blurry mute/phase/mono buttons on routing windows.

The entire Transport section is fugly. The size of the staus display/font makes everything else look tiny. Horribly spaced overall.

Silver volume and pan knobs are very hard to read and need a lot more contrast. Single pixel width position line has to end! Can we not add that to the script too or preferences too?

In the theme tweaker, having a bunch of stuff that seems not to have any effect unless you unpack the theme and delete graphics. Legacy issue, I know, but can we not find some way to either force an override of the gfx or grey-out the redundant elements?

I like the adjuster script but having to rename the damn adjuster script to make it work with custom or saved/tweaked themes. And having to search the forum to find that info? New Reaper users will hate that!
Old 12-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #193
dna598

I don't know why they don't just go with the track selection frame as seen here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2320/F...ection%20frame

I simply can't make out the selected track without it.
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #194
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
As an example: see the Reaper 6 timeline font/background colors fail basic accessibility tests
https://webaim.org/resources/contras...&bcolor=333333
I pointed that out in the first pre-release thread for the theme. WT's response was "You've misunderstood the purpose of that website" with no further explanation.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #195
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I honestly wouldn't care if it was just things like "the different 3d effects on some knobs is jarring", but the overall darkness and lack of contrast would be considered a huge useability problem if I did that for my day job as a web developer.

Dark themes don't have to have super low contrast. Increasing it doesn't have to mean the text has to be like staring into a laser pointer. There's a huge middle ground, but in my opinion WT has chosen to remain outside and really hasn't given any reason for doing so. Granted, he isn't obligated to, but the purpose of public feedback is to have that discussion rather than simply shutting it down and saying "my group of private testers were all fine with it so you're wrong".

I have good eyesight and I find v6 awkward enough that I won't use the default; older folks, or people with actual visual problems, may not be able to use Reaper at all. It's all well and good to offer a super-dark theme as an option, but for it to be the sole theme available for a new install is downright rude.

Not that I think it would ever be problem for Cockos, but ignoring accessibility has actually landed companies like Dominos in court - and they've typically lost the argument.
I am older than many here. But I am not a dinosaur. More like a busted mule. But I have rough eyes and golden ears. The overall darkness and lack of contrast is a huge killer for me. Dead.

I believe the public feedback forum could have been done better. I believe that a small few loyal supporters of the theme's primary designer really stand by him no matter what logic is thrown their way. That's just the way things are done now here.

I wish the dark theme wasn't forced on all of us, rather, I wish it were an option by default. That's my two cents.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #196
glenatron

I like the flatter UI but I wish it was a little more consistent - why not make the whole thing flat, rather than most of it having that type of design and then some buttons and the faders looking a bit out of place.

The bright colours on custom tracks were a pain but toning them down manually didn't take too long for my standard project.

However swapping the "Stop" and "Record" buttons is a real usability pain in the ass. I keep hitting the wrong thing and raising a "no armed track" pop-up ( I'm editing right now, fortunately ) when I want to stop. It may be a more intuitive combination for someone new to the product but for anyone who used the last version, it makes life harder for no clear benefit.
glenatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #197
linkoboy

I try to be used to the new theme but I dislike the fact that I can't see easily that 2 items are overlapping. Is there a way to do that in V6 ?

Overlapping items in V5 Theme:

Overlapping items in V6 Theme:
Attached Images
File Type: png v5.png (9.1 KB, 445 views)
File Type: png v6.png (12.4 KB, 447 views)
linkoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #198
JamesPeters

If you copy these 2 images into the V6 theme (from the V5 theme), it should look and behave the same way. (I just tested it.)

item_bg.png
item_bg_sel.png

Beware if you do this without renaming the Default_6.0 theme (it's best to work on a copy of it) that subsequent updates/installs of Reaper will revert this change, since Reaper always installs its default themes again.

Also: if you're working on a copy of the Default_6.0 theme, it won't have any of the customizations you've made in the Theme Adjuster script that you made to the Default V6 theme. You can edit reaper-themeconfig.ini to add another entry for the copy of the theme though (duplicate the info from the Default_6.0 theme, and change the header name to reflect that of the copy you make).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 12-06-2019 at 04:09 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #199
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
I believe that a small few loyal supporters of the theme's primary designer really stand by him no matter what logic is thrown their way. That's just the way things are done now here.
I haven't seen anyone sticking up for WT, other than Kenny.

A few people have said that they like the new theme, but that isn't the same as "standing by WT no matter what logic is thrown their way". A couple of people have commented on their perceived rudeness of some of the responses to the new theme, which is also not the same as "standing by WT no matter what logic is thrown their way".
Old 12-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #200
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I haven't seen anyone sticking up for WT, other than Kenny.

A few people have said that they like the new theme, but that isn't the same as "standing by WT no matter what logic is thrown their way". A couple of people have commented on their perceived rudeness of some of the responses to the new theme, which is also not the same as "standing by WT no matter what logic is thrown their way".
I was being polite