Old 07-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
lonnie sharpe
Human being with feelings

Default Convince me to convert

Hi guys.

I make sampled based beats and have been using the outdated Cool Edit Pro 2.1 for years now. I have not needed to update because it does everything I need. I have recently had problems since a Windows10 update (thanks Bill) and yeah having problems installing a cracked version. This is my usual process.

1) Cut up sample.
2) Alter the time of sample if this is needed
3) Arrange the sample in a pattern I want. I will either let the drums dictate the rhythm or the sample. I do not use synchronization or anything like that. I try to keep it organic as possible.
4) Mix down everything to one track.
5) And this is the part I am not convinced Reaper has a simple plugin to help me if so let me know. There is a plugin on Cool Edit that is called "only the subwoofer". This isolates the bassline on its own. I do this and boost out the basssline and use some limiting to get it nice and loud. As for the other track I remove the bassline and then boost that out too and remove any harsh highs.

Besides that my beat is done. Was able to pump out multiple beats a day on cool edit with this method and most of the work was in digging for samples and listening through hours and hours of material to find gold.

Can Reaper isolate basslines easily? Is there a plugin in similar to the only subwoofer effect on Cool Edit.

If there is I'm sold I just need to work out how to do the other steps quickly. But if it requires manually EQing it every single time which takes too long then yeah the DAW can go fuck itself.
lonnie sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie sharpe View Post
Can Reaper isolate basslines easily? Is there a plugin in similar to the only subwoofer effect on Cool Edit.
Yes. ReaEQ.

Quote:
But if it requires manually EQing it every single time which takes too long
Nope, set it up once, and save it as a preset.

Quote:
then yeah the DAW can go fuck itself.
Ah.... you've found the Achilles heel. Reaper currently lacks this particular feature AFAIK. It's a shame, I'd enjoy watching that.

There is a Feature Requests forum, however -

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Start a new thread, and the devs will doubtlessly implement the desired auto-erotic functionality as soon as is humanly possible. Probably Monday. Or whenever they get round to it.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Coachz

Try it.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
camerondye

No, If you are still using Cool Edit Pro we don't want you....I mean why would you switch if it does everything you want. Your biggest problem is they probably aren't supporting it so it's going to stop working along with Windows 7. Why don't you slowly start learning Reaper so you have a backup when your program dies.

To be honest it sounds like Live might be something to check out also since you are working with samples so much. The issue is to switch to another DAW would mean you would have to learn about music production a little bit which isn't a bad thing but it sounds like you don't want to. There is no "Only the Subwoofer", but it's called a Low Pass Filter which only lets the lows pass and you move it down until it sounds like you want. If you are reading sarcasm in my post it's only because you sound like a classy dude.

Everything can cut up a sample, but I'm not sure if Cool Edit Pro auto applies changes that you make so then you just have to save it. In most DAWs you have to render the file.

Alter the time of any sample just by pressing alt and grabbing the edge of any audio file...very easy.

Arranging is just putting the audio files in the order you want. Mix down to one track is back to rendering audio which is easy.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
DVDdoug

You may want to try-out Audacity which is a very popular open-source audio editor (not a full DAW).

If you are not multi-track recording/mixing or using MIDI Audacity is probably all you need.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
lonnie sharpe

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah apologies on the tone in the first post. Just had a lot of work ready to go and don't like getting into the mixing side of things too much. Because I use samples then I generally leave the msuic as it is and vibe with it. Only clean it up and boost up the low end. Once I get into tweaking too much this the enjoyment goes. Am actually working everything out and yeah the real EQ low pass works fine. Not a problem at all. The program is growing on me.
lonnie sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
ivansc

A cracked version of what? If it`s Cool Edit Pro 2.11, I still have a prehistoric CD with he legitimate version on it, which I will happily let you have for postage only.
Pretty sure I have all the bells & whistles like registration code that came with it, too.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #8
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
If it`s Cool Edit Pro 2.11, I still have a prehistoric CD with the legitimate version on it, which I will happily let you have for postage only.
I think it's too late. OP says Reaper's growing on him. He's hooked now. He'll never use anything else. He'll never buy a license, either.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #9
serr

In Reaper (or any modern DAW app really) you would be able to keep all your mix elements on their own tracks and simply mix what you want to hear. There'd be no reducing everything to one track and then having to go back and try to split things back apart to get a mix together as you described. You could simply mix. Then start exploring some of the mixing board basics to grow into that.

There might be a learning curve but it will end up being easier and quicker to do then what you trying to do now and with all the frustration of the going back and splitting things back apart with eq plugins eliminated. Worth it!

Last edited by serr; 07-09-2020 at 01:07 PM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #10
astoni9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Ah.... you've found the Achilles heel. Reaper currently lacks this particular feature AFAIK. It's a shame, I'd enjoy watching that.

There is a Feature Requests forum, however -

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Start a new thread, and the devs will doubtlessly implement the desired auto-erotic functionality as soon as is humanly possible. Probably Monday. Or whenever they get round to it.
Laughed out loud. Thanks for your wit, Fex!
astoni9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:16 PM   #11
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
No, If you are still using Cool Edit Pro we don't want you ....I mean why would you switch if it does everything you want.
Ah, but you see ....

Quote:
I have recently had problems since a Windows10 update (thanks Bill) and yeah having problems installing a cracked version. This is my usual process.

Last edited by nicholas; 07-12-2020 at 11:59 PM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
camerondye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Ah, but you see ....
I stand by my statement, lets be honest...he isn't paying for anything ever. Hopefully one day he gets successful and can afford $60 every 5 or 6 years. All in good fun though
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote