Old 07-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
TomBow
Human being with feelings

Default Kontakt, Reactor, VST plugins and other questions

I have attempted to download Kontakt Start and Reaktor TWICE to my system
Reaper 6.8, 64bit
Windows 10 2019(?)
MSI GF 75 Thin 95C, 512G HD, 16gb RAM and have a 2 TB hard drive

When I go into Reaper and look up my VST's nothing from Native Instruments appears at all. Pretend I don't know anything....cause I don't and am only starting to learn the ins and outs of musicproduction through a DAW, Reaper. Please make any responses IDIOT proof.
When I download any VST's I move them from the downloads to a Plugin's folder. After doing this, sometimes they don't appear. Where'd they go, am I not putting them in the correct folder? I have told Reaper where to look but only certain VSTi show up (LABS, LABS (x86), MT Power Drummer and the Reaper originated ones show up.

Also, I get the feeling that I need to have my Audio Interface (MOTU M4) and Midi-controller (Impakt LX 25+) to do much of anything in Reaper. I tried to "Insert virtual instrument on New Track" without these hooked up but she no work.

If you would care to share, please help me to figure out how to do these things correctly.

Thanks and Happy Freegin' 4th of July and Saturday!
and his name was TomBow
TomBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBow View Post
I have attempted to download Kontakt Start and Reaktor TWICE to my system
For the purposes of this post, VSTs come in two flavours - those ones that require the user to run an installer, and those that don't. Either way, the end result should be the same - a .dll file in a VST folder that your DAW will scan for plugins. My best guess is that you've run the installers for these products, and not changed the path for the .dll from the default, which isn't the VST folder you use with REAPER.
Quote:
When I download any VST's I move them from the downloads to a Plugin's folder.
This will work most of the time, since most VSTs consist only of a .dll file. If the VST requires installing, however, it might be that the program, installed elsewhere on your computer, expects the .dll file to be where the installer left it, and can't be called from anywhere else.

If you've moved the .dll files, and REAPER isn't recognising the VSTs, then you might try moving them back to where you found them, and pointing REAPER in the right direction - go to

Options > Preferences > VST

then paste the correct path into the "VST plugin paths" field after a semicolon.

Or you might try uninstalling the VSTs concerned, and amending the VST path when you reinstall, assuming that the installer gives you that option.
Quote:
Please make any responses IDIOT proof.
Okay - make sure that you're using the 64bit VSTs, since you're using a 64bit REAPER installation.
Quote:
Also, I get the feeling that I need to have my Audio Interface (MOTU M4) and Midi-controller (Impakt LX 25+) to do much of anything in Reaper.
Nah - loads of fun to be had just manipulating MIDI and audio in the box.

Last edited by Fex; 07-04-2020 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Pedantry
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
TomBow

Thanks for the information. I did a full "GitOuddaHere!" with all Native Instruments Products. I had previously loaded Drum Mic'a but it never would show up and I couldn't get it to "Repair". OKAY, I am going free for now to test but Kontakt, Reactor and all Native Instruments plugins I tried to use and the problems dealing with them made me flush the system. I have gotten rid of these and started the reload process. I am sure some of my previous problems were me moving things around and confusing Reaper on how to find them. My goal is to have one VST file location so Reaper will only have to find them in one spot. I plan to dedicate some time so I can mistake my way through the learning process,err, learn my way through the mistaking process, errr......sumpin like that.
TomBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
Fex

Quote:
I did a full "GitOuddaHere!" with all Native Instruments Products.
Me too! Many years ago. They sound lush, but I could never get on with the GUIs....
Quote:
I plan to dedicate some time so I can mistake my way through the learning process,err, learn my way through the mistaking process, errr......sumpin like that.
Good call. There are many, many excellent plugins which are free, stable, and don't need installing.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote