Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #41
jelloman
Human being with feelings

I still use my 11Rack for guitar and bass...

I have the A.R.T. Trans-X preamp and Trans-Y compressor that I run all of my mics through, and also guitar and bass when I'm using plugin emulation...

I have the dBx 286 channel strip but it's really just filling a slot in my rack at this point...

Plus I still like mic'ing an amp when it won't piss off the neighbors...
jelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:32 AM   #42
zeekat

Am not a case of "still using", got a hardware keyboard coz I wanted to have something tangible to play with. So I got a VSTi in a box basically (VA poly, coz fapping over analogue warmth isn't worth losing voices). Chose the Novation Ultranova as it seemed the most convenient (power, MIDI and audio transmitted via the single USB cord, pretty superb control panel with everything visible on a long display, brilliant).

But it is a bit of awaste of money for sure. It just feels more like an instrument which is nice.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #43
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Putting the finishing touches on my own studio... here's some hardware:

Acoustical treatments arriving this week...
Cool space you have there! I had a Tascam 80-8 like deck I see in that pic. I sold it and bought an Ampex 1" before going with a DAW.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #44
synkrotron

Quote:
Putting the finishing touches on my own studio...
Impressive.

Lots of space there. I assume that you will also have some movable screens in there and, if not, certainly scope for building some permanent booths.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #45
peter5992

Quote:
Putting the finishing touches on my own studio... here's some hardware:

Acoustical treatments arriving this week...

Ooh, nice.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:49 PM   #46
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Cool space you have there! I had a Tascam 80-8 like deck I see in that pic. I sold it and bought an Ampex 1" before going with a DAW.

Yes, mine is the Tascam 38. 1/2” 8-track and sounds really good! I’ve been using Ampex 406 and 407 and digging the results.

Also was given an Otari 550 that was used at an advertising firm, so it’s 1/4” full track! Perfect for tape delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Impressive.

Lots of space there. I assume that you will also have some movable screens in there and, if not, certainly scope for building some permanent booths.
My acoustical treatments arrive tomorrow. There’s an isolation booth not pictured. Making gobos next week!

Also, I wired the bathroom to double as an echo chamber (cinder block walls and concrete floor).
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #47
Ras Keita

I have and still use

Rhodes 73 Mark II Stage
Wurlitzer 112
Yamaha DX-7 SU-200 & MOX-8
Novation Super Bass Station
Roland RE-201 & TR-505
Teac AN-80 & A-6010
Ras Keita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #48
Naji

@peter...
Yeah that really looks like a studio!
What's this black mic on the upper right side?

@ras...
I really love the sound of Wurlitzer
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #49
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji View Post
@peter...
Yeah that really looks like a studio!
What's this black mic on the upper right side?

Peter was quoting my original post... that mic is the Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:51 AM   #50
Naji

Never used my daw as much as now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200410_134140.jpg (48.5 KB, 169 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #51
Monotremata

All hardware here, until its time to track it in Reaper and mix it..

MPC Live
EMU E6400 Ultra
EMU E5000 Ultra
Bass Station
Microwave XT
Blofeld

Effects
Lexicon MPX500
Boss SE50+SE70
Roland SDE-1000
Furman RV-1 Spring Reverb

All into a 24ch Soundcraft LX7, the 16 direct outs feed my MOTU828/ADA8200.
Plus a big old patch bay so I can basically route whatever the hell I want where I want.
Monotremata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #52
dupont

several analogue and digital synths but rarelly use them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62340095_2237797289814507_5289081701937446912_o.jpg (47.4 KB, 131 views)
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #53
aselix

I only use reaper for recording tracks and midi, no processing. All outboard. Old school

I find that the cummulative effect of ALL the analog compression and EQ do make a difference...I'm using all high end pieces of course.

Digital recordings still sound like digital recordings, even with all the outboard....oh well.
aselix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #54
gandsnut

Roland JV-1080
Alesis QSR

Both these grey-beards have expansion ROMS specifically orchestral

Korg X3R
E-mu Proteus 2/Orchestral

Only after many years do I now find that duplication of each instrumental track of an orchestral piece using the Roland, Alesis and E-mu together produces some impressive sounds... Finally getting my money out of 'em.
Notation-based compositions using Finale. Electric bassist, K-12 school music teacher. iMac 3.5G i7 32Mb OSX 10.11 + PreSonus AudioBox iTwo, Korg, Roland, E-Mu, Alesis HW Synths, Novation Launchpad MINI MK3, Korg D1600 HW DAW. My free music - http://www.gandsnut.net
gandsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #55
Meo-Ada Mespotine

I'm not using hardware anymore and put my brain into the cloud to have more headspace blowing in the wind

Just kidding, I'm not actively using my old hardware (Fostex D-90 harddrive-recorder) but still have it available, if my fancy schmancy-interface says goodbye to the world.
It's old, too loud, but survived my bad handling it yet. I wouldn't get rid of it, even if I tried.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #56
Dr Bob

^^^^ nice to see the tape machines still alive and kicking @citizenKeith!

My quick list
Yamaha dx-11
Yamaha dgx-520
2 * M-Audio Oxygen 8's
8 * various 49 key el-cheapo Yamaha keys, e.g. DJX etc ...
Upright piano circa 1850 (case) & 1935 (overstung strings)
Yamaha Pacifica strat copy
Various 8 channel and 24 channel mixers
Zoom, Roland, Boss, Behringer etc fx boxes
2 * Yamaha AW/16G
Korg nanokontrol 1
TEAC 2 track tape
4 1" mics, 3 1/2" and numerous shure/akg etc dynamics.

Also, daughter has here ... flute, saxes (sop, alto and tenor), clarinet, violins. piccolo, her voice!

Just a few music making devices lying around ..

dB

Last edited by Dr Bob; 07-08-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #57
Allybye

....well I still use a mic, cables .....etc
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #58
xpander

Along with several guitars and basses, whole bunch of pedals and some amps, there are couple dozen of MIDI synths/samplers/drum machines, rack effects, routers, two mixers and digital workstations. Basically a whole hardware studio (minus drums) which can work totally independently of the DAW. As of now, only some parts of it are used at any given time though.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #59
crootnik

I still use my Korg Poly-61 which is fully analog. Guitars of course and assorted percussion.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #60
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
^^^^ nice to see the tape machines still alive and kicking @citizenKeith!

Thank you! Yeah, it's what I learned on, so I'll never let it go.

In fact, I'm teaching a small workshop on analog recording this weekend. I have a 3-piece rock band coming in to record a song, and no more than 4 students in on the session. We'll be recording to 8-track 1/2" tape... so probably 2-3 tracks for drums (mixed in real time), bass, a couple guitars and a couple vocals.

I've added a few more pieces to the studio: a second dbx 163X and a Symmetrix 501 compressor. At some point, I'll be making my own plate reverb, though I'd love an EMT.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #61
woogish

all hardware, no plugins. period.
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #62
Dr Bob

@citizenkeith

Hope the session goes well. I remember doing sound for the UK group Pentangle, mixing vocals, violin, guitar and tablas was fun. Tablas multi-miked, mix real time. I Recently recorded a Big Band to 8 track (AW/16G), many many mics, but mixed in real time ... so e.g. 5 across the sax section mixed to 1 pair of tracks, and so on for the horns, bones, bass, keys, drums, spot solos and vocals. Came out OK, but needed a lot of planning with 2 26 chan mixers front ending the hard disk recorder - but it could equally well have been an 8-track tape!!!

I just like the idea that for this type of activity it's all in the planning and track layout - all in preparation for mixdown ITB later ...

I guess in my head I sort of do this now when I lay out an ITB session with VSTi's in terms of folders and busses ... Reaper lets me do this in a natural way - at least to me.

dB
Old 07-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #63
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

I do for recordings that are scheduled to be released publicly. I use plugins for demo level recordings. For stuff I’ll release to consumers, I’ll record by my king up amps, drums, run through a board, record takes until we can capture that one great performance (or be able to create a great comp). That stems more from the old school work ethic where I don’t want to have to fix it in the box.
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #64
Crashwaggon

The only time outboard is used here is for recording. Once it's in the box, it stays there. Unless you're running really high end converters, that's how it should be.

Good preamps, eq and compressor on the way in. Get as close to the finished sound as you can.
I do sometimes reamp with a Kemper, but all that is done digitally, so no conversions.

If you're running out through analog gear and back in with Scarlett's and interfaces of similar quality you're really shooting yourself in the foot and destroying your audio. Seriously.
Crashwaggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:25 AM   #65
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Naji, you mentioned guitar an bass being excluded because digital instruments could never take their place? We are already at that stage. New bass VSTi’s are coming super close, like 95%+ there. I have seen two guitar VSTi programs that are pushing into 90% as well. They don’t completely have articulate strumming down quite right yet, as well as realistic sounding vibrato or artificial harmonics. They’re close though.

The thing is, humanization is going to be the stumbling block. It’s one thing to humanize drums, humanizing guitar is probably going to be a harder algorithm to code.
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:52 AM   #66
Dr Bob

... then we still need MIDI guitars/attachments to get that real human articulations and feel. Something I think will be hard to program as every player is different (that's why we have so many different guitarists we admire!). Hard if not difficult to program methinks ...

dB
Old 07-10-2020, 03:50 AM   #67
Naji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn.LaSanche View Post
Naji, you mentioned guitar an bass being excluded because digital instruments could never take their place? We are already at that stage. New bass VSTi’s are coming super close, like 95%+ there. I have seen two guitar VSTi programs that are pushing into 90% as well. They don’t completely have articulate strumming down quite right yet, as well as realistic sounding vibrato or artificial harmonics. They’re close though.

The thing is, humanization is going to be the stumbling block. It’s one thing to humanize drums, humanizing guitar is probably going to be a harder algorithm to code.
When you track real amp or any kind of hardware it is completely different than with plugins, playability, response, dynamic. I do not feel comfortable with plugins when tracking.
It's the same with electric piano, when I play a piano from my Yamaha S80 I feel more comfortable, inspired and I play better than with a plugin
Old 07-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #68
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
@citizenkeith

Hope the session goes well. I remember doing sound for the UK group Pentangle, mixing vocals, violin, guitar and tablas was fun. Tablas multi-miked, mix real time. I Recently recorded a Big Band to 8 track (AW/16G), many many mics, but mixed in real time ... so e.g. 5 across the sax section mixed to 1 pair of tracks, and so on for the horns, bones, bass, keys, drums, spot solos and vocals. Came out OK, but needed a lot of planning with 2 26 chan mixers front ending the hard disk recorder - but it could equally well have been an 8-track tape!!!

I just like the idea that for this type of activity it's all in the planning and track layout - all in preparation for mixdown ITB later ...

I guess in my head I sort of do this now when I lay out an ITB session with VSTi's in terms of folders and busses ... Reaper lets me do this in a natural way - at least to me.

dB

dB... was that Pentangle recording ever released? I have "Basket Of Light" in my collection, and I've always wanted to check out more of their stuff.

I was able to secure a young trio... guitar, bass, drums and vocals. It shouldn't be too crazy but I want to spend a lot of time on the front-end, getting the sounds just right. Sadly, my 2-track machine is down and in the shop for repair. So we will have to mix to digital. Maybe I'll demonstrate editing on the multitrack instead of the mixdown deck!
Old 07-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #69
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji View Post
When you track real amp or any kind of hardware it is completely different than with plugins, playability, response, dynamic. I do not feel comfortable with plugins when tracking.
It's the same with electric piano, when I play a piano from my Yamaha S80 I feel more comfortable, inspired and I play better than with a plugin
This tells me you've definitely got a latency issue in your system somewhere.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #70
mhuss

I have a dual 1176 clone that I use for recording drums, and a rack full of 500-series pres, but otherwise all in the box.

It's a shame, I've been a guitar player for decades, and have all kinds of cool amps (many of which I built or modified myself) and drawers full of pedals, but I'm too lazy to use them for recording anymore! The plugs are "good enough."

I need to get going on Reverb or something...
mhuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #71
Dr Bob

@citizenkeith, sadly the recording has been lost in the mists of time ...

But, I still have the memories of having a great Chinese meal out with the band afterwards ...Jacqui and John were great ... one issue raised its head - John had a raised fret and every now and then a note rang out which simply should not be there!!! The band was just a trio for this session, with a guy called I think Kesh on the Tablas - made an interesting change to the "usual" line up ...

I think this was back in the mid-70's ... after Bert R left.

dB
Old 01-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #72
jean-yves

I didn't see this thread when it appeared. Silly gear collectors we are!

What I currently use for recording:
- Joe Meek 6Q preamp
- Art Tube MP preamp
- Art Tube Leveller (compressor)

What I use for making analog sounds:
- guitar pedal board : TC Spark, Palmer MK2 preamp, Fender Santa Anna OD
- Blackstar Ht5 guitar amp with TC Nova station in the loop
- Crate Power Block Guitar Head with hand made Celestion cab
- Marshall JMP1 guitar preamp

What I use for making midi sounds:
- Roland GR20 guitar synth (with a GK guitar)
- Roland JV1010
- Boss DR-5 (drum machine designed for guitar player - a true gem)
- Akai MP mini keyboard

And I didn't speak of the many guitars, basses, pedals, mics, etc.
jean-yves is offline   Reply With Quote