Old 06-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
Warner
Human being with feelings

Default Wow, this DAW is great

I'm coming from another DAW that is very well known and probably much more common than Reaper among musicians in my field, so while trying the Reaper demo I wanted to make use of the customizability to replicate some of the things I'm used to from the previous DAW. And man, this program really went above and beyond. I'm even using a theme that's based on the previous software and the transition has been much more enjoyable than I expected. Every time I look into how I do something in Reaper I find 5 more cool things I can do. I'm a programmer too and I haven't even looked into that entire world yet.

So I'm very impressed and I will be happy to stick around and support the developers when this demo runs out. That's all I wanted to say. This is really great stuff.

Cheers
Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Coachz

Welcome, the best is yet to come.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner View Post
I'm coming from another DAW that is very well known and probably much more common than Reaper among musicians in my field, so while trying the Reaper demo I wanted to make use of the customizability to replicate some of the things I'm used to from the previous DAW. And man, this program really went above and beyond. I'm even using a theme that's based on the previous software and the transition has been much more enjoyable than I expected. Every time I look into how I do something in Reaper I find 5 more cool things I can do. I'm a programmer too and I haven't even looked into that entire world yet.

So I'm very impressed and I will be happy to stick around and support the developers when this demo runs out. That's all I wanted to say. This is really great stuff.

Cheers
If you ever start to code: head over to the developer-subforum.

And some documentation I wrote on how to program Reaper can be found here: https://mespotin.uber.space/Ultrasch...mentation.html

And if you really want to get the cool stuff running, have a look at my Ultraschall-API, which is an extension, which provides a lot of functions to make things even easier to program:
https://mespotin.uber.space/Ultrasch..._Concepts.html
The only convenient way to program the whole rendering yourself

(Sorry for the selfplug, but I had to )

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #4
camerondye

Welcome to the forum, btw...everybody came from another DAW so saying it isn't a sin. Most people here are pretty nice too, probably different than your devil other DAW also.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:27 AM   #5
martmix

it took me about 3-months to make the transition from another DAW,
and i make the right choose (i love reaper) and this forum
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:56 AM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Welcome aboard. And to help you on your way, as you probably already know, there's a great PDF User Guide and a squillion awesome videos there to help you:

https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:07 AM   #7
dangguidan

I came here from the old cakewalk 9, and everything was great!!
dangguidan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
Sibben

Quote:
I'm a programmer too and I haven't even looked into that entire world yet.
It’s a very pleasant experience in many ways for people who are into software development. It has an incremental delivery cycle akin to internal projects with daily builds and developers who understand how to handle feedback properly. I’d guess as you delve deeper that you’ll also be happy to see how agnostic it is structurally. Data containers are for the most part just data containers and signals are just signals. It does very little in the way of assuming or dictating how you wish to handle stuff. A track for instance is just a container lane for other containers and you can put anything in them. It lets you freely create hierarchical structures as you see fit and send and process signals back and forth as you like. This open design does require that you take the time to come up with your own work flow protocol to get the most of it but that is not different from how a lot of professional, non-consumer or in-house software works.

For anyone who likes to tinker or just appreciate being given enough rope it’s truly amazing. I’ve used REAPER for a long time and I sometimes try other software just because but I always return because for me it can’t be beat in terms of power, flexibility or just the sheer editing speed it allows. It sometimes draws criticism for being convoluted, less than straight forward or half baked. I’ve sometimes felt there was validity to that but over the years I’ve come to see it differently. It’s a very pragmatic piece of software that always chooses functionality over form and what can sometimes seem messy is just what happens when you prioritize capability and flexibility over polish.

I’ll stop now before my fanboism turns into self-oscillation.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
Jwitt

Default Skins

If you don't know yet there are some awesome skins out there for Reaper. The best being by The house of white tie. Check em out!
Jwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
peter5992

Quote:

Cheers

Cheers, and welcome.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:40 PM   #11
TonE

Quote:

Cheers
Are you talking of Logic or ProTools, do not make a secret of it, information needs to be shared to be useful, no matter how big or small. Welcome in this forum. As a programmer you can dive in then into the 3000+ lua plugins.

Some hints: Search for kawa, saike.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #12
Naji

Warner uses Reaper and even praises it. That is wonderful. What about your brothers, Warner?!
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji View Post
What about your brothers, Warner?!
I assure you, they don't fear the Reaper.

Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #14
davideq

Quote:

Cheers
I've recently done the same, coming from Logic Pro X, and find this DAW so much more flexible! Watching Kenny's videos to understand this DAW have been priceless...great community support, amazing pricing structure, so many positives to this switch
davideq is offline   Reply With Quote