Old 12-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
Lowell Mather 5150
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper V6 Default Theme Likes/Dislikes

What do you like, what makes your skin crawl?

1. What is with the weird font selection for the Mute/Solo buttons?

2. Not crazy about the SD Card/Monopoly Hotel FX Button and the FX button color scheme (ditto for the Input FX - can we let go of the arrows already?)

3. Hey, I like boobs just as much as the next guy but...

Why are the play and record buttons out of touch with the rest of the transport & the theme?

4. That slash sd card send return button needs to go.

I really like the overall vibe of the theme except for the colored TCP - think it should mirror the MCP in that regard, or at least give us the option. Also dig the theme adjuster and hopefully it can expand (within reason). I'm not sure about all of the empty space on the transport - was that done to accommodate toolbars or? The dimming option in the theme adjuster is pretty cool. Seems most of the layouts have a great clarity to them that really pops - think those bigger layouts will be great for some visually impaired users as well.

Last edited by Lowell Mather 5150; 12-03-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
knowledgeofself

I do appreciate the direction towards a more modern visual take but I agree that the transport doesn't meld well with the overall theme.

Plus, the toolbar icons... Dang, no one thinks green and red isn't really a good combo? Like, it's holiday season-colored all year round? Wish they included the icons in the Theme Adjuster where everything is plain white but glows a certain color (user choice) when activated.
knowledgeofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:40 AM   #3
Breeder

This is one of the best themes out there and I really love it. Only one thing bothers me and that's how it gets custom colors so bright and while theme adjuster can be used to dim them, it can't be used to brighten them back again for usage in other themes
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:07 AM   #4
g4greg

I quite like the new theme. I have been using Lampshade's themes for the longest time because I couldn't get used to the v5 theme, but this one just works with my brainwaves.

I think I'll stick with it for a while..

Then again, what I tend to find neat and organized usually comes off as extremely messy to the ones around me
Old 12-04-2019, 02:11 AM   #5
zeekat

I assume it's different enough old 3.x themes won't fly anymore?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #6
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
I assume it's different enough old 3.x themes won't fly anymore?
Heh, my fave 3 theme works and looks as usual. I don't ever feel I upgraded (I don't like themes with dark elements like every default one since v3).
Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 AM   #7
orabidoo

In my opinion, depriving a simple user of choosing whether or not to dye the tcp in the default theme is absolutely wrong, even more so with a dark theme. Projects with colored TCP panels are a punch to the eyes, lacking in elegance. For the rest on a normal monitor (I have a 23 ') 1920x1080 the distribution of spaces and the visibility of as much information as possible on a screen has worsened compared to version 5.
orabidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 AM   #8
Ivo Sedlacek

Interesting, why do I see basically nothing when I switch to 6.0 default scheme in the track panel on Mac ? Just recording button and the rest empty. Switching back to default 5.0 - everything back there ...
Ivo Sedlacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:54 AM   #9
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo Sedlacek View Post
Interesting, why do I see basically nothing when I switch to 6.0 default scheme in the track panel on Mac ? Just recording button and the rest empty. Switching back to default 5.0 - everything back there ...
By default, certain controls are hidden unless a track is selected. You can change this if you don't like it.

The quick intro guide will help you.

https://www.reaper.fm/userguide/R600up005.pdf
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #10
Retronian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo Sedlacek View Post
Same here (PC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
By default, certain controls are hidden unless a track is selected.
Selecting or resizing a track didn't change anything out of the box for me (maybe because it isn't a fresh install?). Had to change it in the theme adjuster first. But I am also back to 5.x theme which luckily is possible. The new theme feels kinda cluttered and unfinished compared to 5.x, but maybe I am just too used to the the old look...

Last edited by Retronian; 12-04-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Retronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:39 AM   #11
synkrotron

Apart from some slightly altered icons everything looks the same to me with the theme I use, which is an ever so slightly tweaked V5 default.

I could try the new default but not sure if I want to bother seeing as I am happy with what I have.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:11 AM   #12
sightlessness

I quite like it, I mostly don't have issues with it. And have been using it for a month or so.

I quite like the tinting myself.
M/S buttons is something I am not fond of, they are so lost in the overall layout, specially in the TCP, if I don't pay attention I don't know where they are right away.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #13
Lowell Mather 5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by orabidoo View Post
In my opinion, depriving a simple user of choosing whether or not to dye the tcp in the default theme is absolutely wrong, even more so with a dark theme. Projects with colored TCP panels are a punch to the eyes, lacking in elegance. For the rest on a normal monitor (I have a 23 ') 1920x1080 the distribution of spaces and the visibility of as much information as possible on a screen has worsened compared to version 5.
Agreed. That would have been a major plus - game changer even - as far as I'm concerned if that could have been implemented in the Theme Adjuster.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #14
Delucci

We still cant get tint track background, too bad..
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #15
Aesaire

New themes mixer page is pretty bad for smaller screens as there isn't a replacement for the strip mixer layouts. All the track names are written horizontally which uses a lot of screen real estate for no reason. Having multiple rows of mixer tracks make it look really disorganized (yes I know it's optional)

Would like to see customization for the mixer expanded upon. Some suggestions:

1) Verticle or horizontal track labels.
2) Option to customize out every track control in the mixer, similar to the TCP.
3) Compact strip layouts for smaller screens.
Aesaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #16
Cooker

I adjusted everything 50%, with a single small monitor it looks much better. Theme adjuster only goes 100%.

Disabling hidpi also may work for some.
Cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #17
WolfJames

The new GUI is horrible, a total mess. It's like a throwback to an old Atari interface or something. I'm shocked that it would be released like this. For the life of me, I can't imagine why they just didn't take one of the other beautiful themes by White Tie and modify it slightly for this release if they're not going to update the underlying GUI code. They've taken an already dis-joined hodgepodge of GUI elements and modifications, and added an additional layer of complicated nonsense.

I love everything that Reaper is capable of doing, but I don't think we're going to see many new users until the GUI code is rewritten to look professional and just "work" without modifications and scripts. I mean those things are just fine for the people who want to tinker, modify, customize, etc. But most DAW users just want to create music in a consistent manner as quickly and easily as possible. I don't need to repaint my car every time I go the grocery.
WolfJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:52 AM   #18
trinita

What i really don't like is all the wasted space blank area in the fx windows...i hate! now we can put on the right side..wow! can you find a better functional solution?
trinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #19
karbomusic

One of these is objectively easier to read:

Testing

Testing

Testing

It is irrelevant if someone happens to subjectively like the second or third. I don't use V6 but a quick test loading it and I didn't see the issue above... but if that occurs, it is objectively bad.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #20
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
One of these is objectively easier to read:

Testing

Testing

Testing

It is irrelevant if someone happens to subjectively like the second or third. I don't use V6 but a quick test loading it and I didn't see the issue above... but if that occurs, it is objectively bad.
Taking it back to my pizza argument:

You just posted a couple of pizzas. One was normal cheese but the other had cat poop sliced on it.

We can both agree that a cat poop pizza is objectively bad. Right?

So therefore we can both agree that a pepperoni pizza is objectively bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post

Edit: or what Karbo said.. jesus, way to summarize my post in a few lines. haha Succinct.
Disagree. I think your post made a lot more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post

And Kenny, I love you man but your analogies are just nuts. None of them really apply but I hope you never stop using them. I mean, pizza dude?
I always use pizza analogies because pizza is the best food.

Is this subjective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, because it's mostly a nonconstructive mess, but I just wanted to say that I really like the new theme and it's definitely a step in the right direction for me.

Some of the new features are really nice. They were a little confusing at first, but Kenny's introduction cleared that right up. Thanks again for your awesome videos, Kenny.

Also, the colors in the Midi Editor are really an improvement. They are not perfect, but until V6 I was considering creating my own color theme because I couldn't find one I liked. No I don't anymore because it's good enough. Not perfect, but definitely a step in the right direction.

So, whoever made this theme, if you're reading this I want to thank you and remind you that people who are unhappy are always louder than the people who are happy. I'm sure there are plenty of happy people out there who don't feel the need to say anything.
Thank you

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 12-10-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #21
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

You just posted a couple of pizzas. One was normal cheese but the other had cat poop sliced on it.

That's a logical fallacy you are presenting but that's not what some are discussing - they are actually going out of their way to clarify and avoid said fallacy. Many are committing it, but what I'm pointing out on the behalf of some is not that.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #22
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
That's a logical fallacy you are presenting but that's not what some are discussing - they are actually going out of their way to clarify and avoid said fallacy.
Agreed. But that was what YOU were presenting in your post. That proving that something CAN be objectively bad, proves that it CAN'T be subjective.

You even created an example that doesn't exist in REAPER to prove this point.

But I understand what you mean. And I 1000% agree. Some things CAN be objectively bad while others can be subjective. Moving on.

But as I've said 100X in this thread, if WT agrees that something is objectively bad, he would have changed it. If he was the dogmatic ass that most people were accusing him of being, he wouldn't have read this thread. He has.

Which brings up my next point:

We're beating a dead horse here. I'm not going to lock this thread (for obvious reasons) but I ask that if you've made your point in this thread, please don't make it again. It will save us all a bunch of time. Please allow new people to share their opinions. The same person expressing the same opinion isn't going to move the needle.

Thanks

Kenny
Old 12-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #23
karbomusic

Quote:
Agreed. But that was what YOU were presenting in your post. That proving that something CAN be objectively bad, proves that it CAN'T be subjective.

You even created an example that doesn't exist in REAPER to prove this point.
I don't know what exists in Reaper V6 (as I already stated). I presented an example based on whether low contrast text is objective based on you guys debate - it is objective. I did it that way so that others could show where it exists in Reaper since I didn't see it when performing a quick test.

IMHO, it would have been a lot better if you just replied, "I don't see that low contrast text in Reaper" instead of trying to further it as a debate.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-10-2019 at 10:08 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #24
Lokasenna

Quote:
But as I've said 100X in this thread, if WT agrees that something is objectively bad, he would have changed it. If he was the dogmatic ass that most people were accusing him of being, he wouldn't have read this thread. He has.
I'm cranky because despite many people making the same complaint, with pictures and common guidelines as a reference for why X is an issue that should be discussed, WT has steadfastly refused to discuss it at all.

Again, this isn't stuff like "I don't like the shiny play button". This is a basic useability complaint that has been brought up since the theme was first previewed and remains unaddressed.

If WT has a reason for not fixing it, great - maybe he could tell us what it is. "My testers didn't complain" and "You've misunderstood that document" are terrible responses - I'd be crucified if I shut a customer down that way.

As Robert implied above, this is effectively telling people with an impairment that they're just doing things wrong.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #25
Robert Randolph

Quote:

Disagree. I think your post made a lot more sense.

I always use pizza analogies because pizza is the best food.

Is this subjective?

Thank you
I really appreciate your work, but you're stretching prettttyyy far here with these analogies.

It just seems like you're agreeing that the theme has some objectively bad elements, and some things that are arguable.

Why bother arguing over pepperoni pizza when we have clear demonstrations of the cat poo in the theme?
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #26
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
I really appreciate your work, but you're stretching prettttyyy far here with these analogies.
It's what I do.

Quote:
It just seems like you're agreeing that the theme has some objectively bad elements, and some things that are arguable.
I'm agreeing that it's "possible".
Old 12-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #27
Robert Randolph

Quote:
I'm agreeing that it's "possible".
Could you go back through the thread and look at some of the images and constructive comments that were posted?

Your name carries a lot of weight here, and if you were the bastion of "Yeah, this theme is amazing, but let's get these small things fixed" then a lot of people would be happy to listen rather than argue. You could easily unite both sides of a tired debate simply because you're Kenny.

I don't think anyone could read this whole thread and not agree that there's some clear issues that could be fixed. Some of these are small for a large population, and some are a big deal for a small population (and vice versa).

So it really confuses me to see these stretched analogies and apologetics where there could be direct discussion about the issues presented.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #28
nait

Quote:
There's no issue with people pointing out a problem. At least for them.

The problem is assuming the problem exists for everyone equally and arguing it needs to be "objectively" changed to be "right".

I assure you, if there is an objective issue that could be changed to improve the theme for all, or even most users, it will be done. Or it won't because it's already been considered and that change made it worse for other situations.

I'm not a fan of pepperoni pizza. So there is no compromise for how many pieces of pepperoni I want on a pizza pie. I want none. So if we designed a pizza by committee, by default, I am going to be unhappy with the pizza we design if there's any pepperoni on it.
I know that there is a lot of bickering about the look of the theme that is based on subjective opinions (and I do not defend those posters' comments in any way). Not liking how a button looks, or where it's placed, or the thickness of the tracks/mixers.. these are very subjective things. I have said myself here, that there is no one-size-fits all theme... people have said their choice of theme is one that should be stock Reaper theme, and it often is one that looks like garbage to me.. because this is very subjective.

It could be the vocal minority at work here, but I do believe that a lot of people are taking issue with the contrast on this new theme.. and this is a valid concern that should be listened to, imo. I'm a person that tends to accept change as is, and tend to side with Cockos on decisions, but this theme's poor contrast, and a couple other small issues (like text being cut off), baffle me.

And yes, I know everyone can just switch to Reaper 5 theme. So I'm not sitting here making noise and complaining and name calling anyone (while others are), but I think this is something that should be corrected when time permits. The theme is otherwise great. It's going to be the default theme though for any new Reaper 6 user, so I think it's in Cockos' best interests to ensure that when a new user installs Reaper for the first time they aren't straining to see certain things and has a good first impression. I'm lucky I'm not color blind, but I'd imagine someone who is would have a real tough time with this.

Edit: or what Karbo said.. jesus, way to summarize my post in a few lines. haha Succinct.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #29
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I know that there is a lot of bickering about the look of the theme that is based on subjective opinions (and I do not defend those posters' comments in any way). Not liking how a button looks, or where it's placed, or the thickness of the tracks/mixers.. these are very subjective things. I have said myself here, that there is no one-size-fits all theme... people have said their choice of theme is one that should be stock Reaper theme, and it often is one that looks like garbage to me.. because this is very subjective.

It could be the vocal minority at work here, but I do believe that a lot of people are taking issue with the contrast on this new theme.. and this is a valid concern that should be listened to, imo. I'm a person that tends to accept change as is, and tend to side with Cockos on decisions, but this theme's poor contrast, and a couple other small issues (like text being cut off), baffle me.

And yes, I know everyone can just switch to Reaper 5 theme. So I'm not sitting here making noise and complaining and name calling anyone (while others are), but I think this is something that should be corrected when time permits. The theme is otherwise great. It's going to be the default theme though for any new Reaper 6 user, so I think it's in Cockos' best interests to ensure that when a new user installs Reaper for the first time they aren't straining to see certain things and has a good first impression. I'm lucky I'm not color blind, but I'd imagine someone who is would have a real tough time with this.

I can't wait to see whoever decides to tackle this v6 theme mod and the praise they receive when they re-release it to the masses You know, with all the "subjective" fixes like better contrast, non-truncated metering values in mixer strips, more consistent UX elements, and all that other totally not objective stuff. Whoever puts that on the stash will be royalty! Haha. You watch, it'll happen one day.

And Kenny, I love you man but your analogies are just nuts. None of them really apply but I hope you never stop using them. I mean, pizza dude?
Old 12-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #30
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
I can't wait to see whoever decides to tackle this v6 theme mod and the praise they receive when they re-release it to the masses You know, with all the "subjective" fixes like better contrast, non-truncated metering values in mixer strips, more consistent UX elements, and all that other totally not objective stuff. Whoever puts that on the stash will be royalty! Haha. You watch, it'll happen one day.

And Kenny, I love you man but your analogies are just nuts. None of them really apply but I hope you never stop using them.
Not that you haven't but you guys should segregate the objective parts into it's own list and not veer from it - Otherwise when someone pops in and makes broad-brush comments and analogies, subjective and objective get mashed together and become a conversational mess.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #31
nait

^^
A reminder of the most important objective issue:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaperpost.jpg (4.5 KB, 972 views)
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #32
lowellben

Quote:
Not that you haven't but you guys should segregate the objective parts into it's own list and not veer from it - Otherwise when someone pops in and makes broad-brush comments and analogies, subjective and objective get mashed together and become a conversational mess.
I generally agree yup. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #33
Judders

Quote:
If accessibility is an issue, I would think that would need addressing first.

Probably many other complaints would get sorted out as a byproduct of that.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #34
woogish

Dislike EVERYTHING about it.......... so, I don't use it.
Instead, I use a HIGHLY customized version of the Imperial theme that WT didn't finish - it's fabulous!
Thanks, WT!!!!!!
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #35
Randolph

I just don't know why version 6 of reaper was released without a usable theme.
Only three layouts are possible.
Overall the partial theme aka ver 6 theme is a joke.

I have removed it as well as it's script from my installation.