Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 02-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
JLP
Human being with feelings

Default ReaVolution for FLUX:: Spat Revolution

Hello to the whole REAPER community !

I am Jean-Loup Pecquais, a sound engineer from France, user of REAPER and part of the FLUX:: team. You may known FLUX:: from their plug-ins or from their flagship software : FLUX:: Analyser and Spat Revolution.

During 2020, I begin to work on a new project : ReaVolution. The whole idea of this was to offer an easy approach to immersive workflow, using both Spat Revolution and REAPER.
If you don't know Spat Revolution, this is, in two words, a powerful mixing engine allowing to do object-based mixing with perceptive parameters. When I presented this project to the FLUX:: team, they accepted to support it.

ReaVolution comes with many scripts and two JSFXs. Here is a short showcase of some of them :

The audio stream JSFX

This little plugin simply allow to qualify the type of audio stream carried by a track. This information is then used by our script that send and receive signals from Spat Revolution. This is especially useful as REAPER only provided tracks with even number of channels.

The X-OR monitor JSFX

This other little plug-in was designed to do the job of a monitoring section. It has two parameters : does the audio pass through and what is the ID of the group. Only one track of one group can be active at a time. Now you can easily build a monitoring section using the REAPER console.

Easy interfacing with Spat Revolution
If you use Spat Revolution in your workflow, this one is a no-brainer. Thanks to the audio stream JSFX, we can really quickly send audio to Spat and also receive audio from it. All is automated, and you have nothing more to do than running a couple of script.

Multichannel busses using folder
There already is several great scripts to allow a REAPER user to quickly create a new folder for a selection of track. But I didn't found one that handle multichannel routing. This one should do the trick.

A proposition of editing workflow
We know that many of us choose REAPER because it is highly customizable. It may sound silly to offer a proposition of editing workflow, but we did it to encourage people coming from other DAW to use REAPER when working with an immersive audio project.
If you are an experienced REAPER user, you may find this section less useful. If you are new to it, it may save you a great amount of time.
Here is an example about how to move objects in ReaVolution. Notice how the time selection is automatically cleared.

If you wish to read more detail, here is the online documentation : https://doc.flux.audio/#/en_US/spat_...ty_ReaVolution

FLUX:: has also created a nice land page for this project : https://www.flux.audio/project/reavo...at-revolution/

How to download ReaVolution ?
We offer two solution to download ReaVolution. The first one is to use our center to install a full setup version of Reaper through our Center. It is like a portable version of REAPER, but without the REAPER binary inside. You just have to add it to complete the installation process. This is the quickest way to have a running installation of ReaVolution.
Here is the download page of our center : https://www.flux.audio/download

We have installation tutorial for both Windows and macOS :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPp9U1vJoHg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knwj0S1PHlU

If you do not wish to get all the feature of ReaVolution, or you don't want to use the center, we have a Git repository where all the source files are accessible (scripts + JSFX), with a basic documentation about the different dependency between the various scripts and JSFX. Here is a link to our Git repository : https://github.com/FLUX-SE/ReaVolution

We hope everybody will find some useful script in this package!
JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
vitalker

Hello, Jean-Loup. Nice job! It would be great if these gifs will be bigger. Another thins is version 6.24 will have razor edit, which is area selection. This feature may introduce a lot of interesting solutions to your project.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
Vagelis

WOW you guys are some of the best out there, quality stuff!!

I'm so happy to see you here working also with Reaper and making scripts!

Big thank you and respect!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #4
JLP

Thank you for your feedback and replies !

Vitalker, I’m desperate to find time to implement the razor edit in my scripts! I’ve tested it with the latest RC version of REAPER and it is amazing!
I’ll try to do a better job with the gif. I’m afraid it’s the site that is hosting them that scale them down... Do you have a good site for image hosting ?

Vagelis, thank you very much for your kind words let us know how you find this package !
Old 02-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Vitalker, I’m desperate to find time to implement the razor edit in my scripts! I’ve tested it with the latest RC version of REAPER and it is amazing!
Do you have a good site for image hosting ?
I think you can get a support on the forum. People here would love to help you.

https://imgur.com/ is pretty good.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #6
Gass n Klang

following. looks interesting, though if spat is a massive invest (even for a professional, earning money in audio production)
Old 02-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #7
BartR

GREAT!!!!!

Last edited by BartR; 02-27-2021 at 06:26 AM.
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 AM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartR View Post
GREAT!!!!!
Please don't quote the whole message.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:11 AM   #9
audiotect

Default as small issue

Hello
Been a Spat Revolution user since it came out. Using it mainly with Reaper. Lots of issues, lot of help from the flux team, lots of work done. Latest update seems to solve a lot of issues, but this is (Rearevolution) could be the gift I´ve been waiting for :-) thanks.

I´m about to enter test mode for this, but in the very beginning I get a message I don´t like - could be easily solved though - but want to ask before doing anything.

As I understand (from video´s) I install a version of reaper in the Reavolution folder.
When opening my other reaper app everything is ok - no error messages
but when opening the Reavolution version of reaper I get the attached message.
I guess it has nothing to do with Reavolution working or not, but what to..?

Best regards
Søren Bendixen
Attached Images
File Type: png SWS Error.png (61.9 KB, 488 views)
audiotect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:52 AM   #10
JLP

Hello audiotect,
ReaVolution does not come with the latest version of the SWS extension installed. I simply did not test it yet with ReaVolution. It will be part of the next update. From what I see in your error message, it should not interfer with how ReaVolution works, as it choose to include the lib from the ReaVolution package.
Let me know how it turns out !

BartR, thank you for your enthusiasm !
Old 02-27-2021, 05:37 AM   #11
audiotect

Hi JLP
Cool. Thanks for reply
I´ll test sometime very soon. Have af few Reaper/Spat R project in the making.
Will report back here

Best
Søren/Audiotect
Old 02-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #12
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Please don't quote the whole message.
Sorry. I did remove the quote
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #13
loji

Found a bug or two I think ....

The "Ripple Edit" mode button doesn't seem to work onc eyou add a track.

ie: with no tracks, an empty arrange view ... the button toggles through the ripple modes as expected . .

But if I add a track, it no longer does so. The Key commands to enable the ripple modes work, but I can't use the button...

Issue #2 : the item gain changes (the lua script) only affect the first part of an item...

If I make an edit in the middle of an item .. the key commands to mousewheel the item gain only effect the first part of the item, even though that isn't what is selected (the edited portion is selected) ..

Great work here!
loji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:53 AM   #14
JLP

Hello loji,

For now, this is an expected behavior of ReaVolution. It is documented here : https://doc.flux.audio/#/en_US/spat_...ty_ReaVolution . But I will, hopefully, do another pass of work on the editing workflow by integrating the new Razor edit feature. There will be some improvement in the futur.

This bug has already be found... You are all great beta testers haha ! It's on my todo list for the next patch !

Thank you for your feedback and your inputs !
Old 01-03-2022, 07:45 AM   #15
audiotect

I´m doing a sounddesign using Reavolution with Spat R.
I don´t get the crashes of Spat (and/or reaper) I used to when using "standard" reaper + Spat R.
So that´s cool

Its also very difficult to set the marker exact in reaper.

I don´t fancy the zoom function - just because I work a lot in reaper without spat and I got used to the way it zoomed.
I just updated reavolution today (3 jan 22) and everytime I update reavolution it deletes the reaper version in the folder. - So I have to reinstall reaper for reavolution and scan plug ins (got a lot, so It takes a lot of time...!)
After scanning It prompts me to choose soundcard AND find my license. And all my "recent projects" are gone. hmm...

So ups and down - but we´re still playing together..:-)

Best
Søren
Old 05-15-2022, 06:23 AM   #16
tdc

Hi folks,

I am getting this error on my first use of ReaVolution when using the "Route to Spat" menu.

Code:
jlp_Send Track Channels to Spat Revolution.lua:50: attempt to call a nil value (field 'BR_GetMediaTrackByGUID')
Running latest Reaper and new install of Spat. MacOS 12.3.1, M1 Max

Cheers,

tdc
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:57 AM   #17
g0ldenhh0urs

Hi,

Have you installed the SWS Extensions needed to run these commands?

http://sws-extension.org/

That should fix it.

Best
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Hi folks,

I am getting this error on my first use of ReaVolution when using the "Route to Spat" menu.

Code:
jlp_Send Track Channels to Spat Revolution.lua:50: attempt to call a nil value (field 'BR_GetMediaTrackByGUID')
Running latest Reaper and new install of Spat. MacOS 12.3.1, M1 Max

Cheers,

tdc
g0ldenhh0urs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #18
tdc

Thanks g0ldenhh0urs,

You are completely right. I had not considered that my main install of Reaper is totally sandboxed from the new install I made for ReaVolution and thus SWS would not be active too.

Cheers, Tony
Old 05-16-2022, 08:21 PM   #19
tdc

What is the best practise for integrating the ReaVolution version of Reaper with my own customised one?

I tried installing the Scripts and Effects folder contents from Github as instructed but they didn't appear in Reaper upon reboot.

Last edited by tdc; 05-16-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:58 AM   #20
audiotect

Default time selection and render issues

Hi
I still do some testing of Reavolution w/Spat R - haven´t done any final sessions - still going back to Reaper/Spat R when Spat R is needed.
This because I keep running in to smaller but important "issues"

Here mentioned:
I couldn´t default choose "set selection to items"
found out to create a custom version "set time selection and loop points to item"
Works fine

But when I will render and set render to Time selection it does not choose that, but the whole session.
Work around was to create a region of the needed selection.
Still strange to me though

In Reaper I can render on low buffersizes (64/96) fast offline and get what I need: Seamless loops - although you cannot have heavy sessions going.
In Reavolution this is not possible; I need to make online renders.
It work ok, although the loops are 99,9% seamless.
I need to make seamless loops for my museumswork
The online render is eating up time, cause I tend to work with 15 or 18 min loops.
Any suggestions for this?

Best
Søren/Audiotect
Old 06-06-2023, 02:46 AM   #21
audiotect

A Requst - or just cool thing would be:
When you make a track and name it - then the Spat send (or return - if it is a return track) get the same name - and pops up in Spat R when this name..

Another request
My presets from reaper does not show up reavolution?
hmm..not good - I´ve made a ton of presets in reasurround

Edit: I can export from reaper and import to reavolution - fine - Atm one plug in at a time - maybe reaper can export/import all settings for (at least) all reapers plug ins...?

Best
Søren/Audiotect

Last edited by audiotect; 06-06-2023 at 10:57 AM.