Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
KnightsFan
Human being with feelings

Default [SOLVED] Match edits of one item to another

Hi all, first time posting here, though I've been using Reaper for some time.

Is it possible to gang two items together so that every time I edit one, the other is edited in the same way? Or to treat two mono files as the two channels of a single stereo item in Reaper? Or even some sort of way to automatically select corresponding items when either one is selected?

The reason I'd like to do this is that I have two mono audio files from two mics of the same event. I'd like to trim out some parts, splice other pieces in, etc, and always keep those two files synced. It would be ideal if I could simply import two mono files, and treat them as a single stereo item. (As far as I can tell, grouping, folders, and free item positioning don't help with making cuts to two items at once).

What I currently do is edit each pair of mono files into a single stereo file prior to editing. However, this is an extra step that eats up time when you have to do it for dozens of files, and also creates a bunch of new files to keep track of. It is easier than manually selecting two items every time I want to make a cut, though.

Thanks!

Last edited by KnightsFan; 04-18-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: My question has been answered
KnightsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Check out the "propagate" actions for audio or pooled MIDI items. Audio edits require manual propagation, while pooled MIDI items are all edited automatically.

You can also implode two mono items to stereo. Search actions list for "implode." You should also install SWS extensions and ReaPack to get even more possible actions.

Items can also be grouped if you want to have all selected and editable when selecting one.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
KnightsFan

Thanks, foxAsteria! I did some googling based on your post, and now it's working exactly as I wanted it to.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

This is exactly what item grouping does. Just make sure to turn on the option "Selecting one item in group selects all".
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
KnightsFan

Interesting, thanks.

I somehow had "Item grouping enabled" off and never realized it was an option I could turn on. I'd only really used track grouping before. Turning on item grouping, the items do follow each other the way I want--even with "Selecting one item in group selects all" off.