Old 09-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #201
thegreatchug
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
If you change the name of the folder your images are in, you have to open the .reapertheme file and change a line down at the bottom to match it. Otherwise, Reaper will say "hey, I can't find images for this theme!" and use the Reaper v1 images instead.
Thanks Lokasenna! It is working good now
So I just noticed something weird. I updated to Reaper 5 in osx and "theme editor" is no longer in preferences?
thegreatchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #202
Endisol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatchug View Post
Thanks Lokasenna! It is working good now
So I just noticed something weird. I updated to Reaper 5 in osx and "theme editor" is no longer in preferences?
Yep, its now under "show action list" >> search "theme" and theme editor will surface in the list
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:34 AM   #203
Tom Drinkwater

Quote:
If you change the name of the folder your images are in, you have to open the .reapertheme file and change a line down at the bottom to match it. Otherwise, Reaper will say "hey, I can't find images for this theme!" and use the Reaper v1 images instead.
I am having the problem as though reaper can't find the images, but the line ui_img=Default_5.0_unpacked exists in the Reapertheme file and that seems correct.

does it need a path or some other tweaking?

all I did was unzip the default theme and now it instantly can't find its images...
Tom Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #204
Tom Drinkwater

aah, you have to put the .reapertheme file and the unpacked folder at the top level of colorthemes folder, NOT leave it in the Default_5.0.ReaperTheme folder it unpacks to.

might be worth mentioning that somewhere in the guides
Tom Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #205
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default can i add v4 style tint tcp - coloring in v5 ?

Is it just code that controls the colors in tcp?

is it possible to modify a theme, and remove any tcp-coloring, so that colored tracks appear as one colour in the tcp, like v4?

I tried making an adjustment (a tint tcp variablein an unpacked theme) but something is still causing unwanted coloring

I found one that works beautifully - jayne2016. gorgeous.

can I replicate this tintcolorstyle in other themes?

I'd personally prefer the TCP to colour the track in its entirety when the track isn't selected, and have a selection colour that's different (the inverse to how jayne works).... but that's pretty advanced theme hacking.
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:52 AM   #206
SergeiSobchenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringSynthesisingAlch View Post
Is it just code that controls the colors in tcp?
You have to change the color of the tcp_bgsel.png or tcp_bgsel.png and make it transparent.
SergeiSobchenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #207
D Rocks

Hello

Would be willing to donate for a guide 2018 update.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 02:03 AM   #208
DynamicK

Default - in front of a line in RTConfig

I've been doing a little customizing of some themes I have. I see in some rtconfig files the following line:

set tcp.meter.scale.color.lit.bottom [0]
-set tcp.trackidx [0 0 121 123 0 0 0 1]
set tcp.trackidx h>0 [0 0 1158 73 0 0 0 1]

I know that @ comments out a line, what does a - in front of a line do?
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:32 AM   #209
Vagalume

I humbly believe that there is enough documentation and so many useful posts about theming in the forum, it is not a quantity matter. Anyway trying some changes might be possitive. Some ideas:

- Assembling all the documentation in a single file.
- Using a simpler language, a kind of "Reaper Theming for dummies". When you start from scratch you might find dark and difficult to understand the concepts of the documentation (specially if English is not mother language).
- A picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe some explanatory videos will help more than documents.

I hope I do not offend anyone.

Last edited by Vagalume; 04-16-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:49 AM   #210
D Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
I humbly believe that there is enough documentation and so many useful posts about theming in the forum, it is not a quantity matter. Anyway trying some changes might be possitive. Some ideas:

- Assembling all the documentation in a single file.
- Using a simpler language, a kind of "Reaper Theming for dummies". When you start from scratch you might find dark and difficult to understand the concepts of the documentation (specially if English is not mother language).
- A picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe some explanatory videos will help more than documents.

I hope I do not offend anyone.
Thats well said. I agree also that there is "enough" in that sense but the idea of grouping all would help sorting by order of priority for learning purposes.

Videos would be the most efficient way to uncover the "mysteries of the world" haha, if any one goes on this path it will help alot of people.

Another idea would be to have an example case of editing the Default 5.o theme in depth (including the complex WALTER lines). I mean something that clearly explain why it is being written like it is and what things do. Because right now we are being suggested to start with easy stuff but its never explained clearly how the advanced 5.0 is thought out. Youre left to trial and error and this is a bit of a pain although a great challenge for me to overtake.

In the end all this freedom makes me believe that the next step could be to make the most important and always requested UI mods be accessible via userfriendly menus in REAPER. Mr X and Miss Y dont have a clue of what is a rtconfig.txt document and what image editing and folders are. Im speaking for the normal people that are not good at computer stuff but great musician with great ideas.

Anyways thanks for your replies guys its super appreciated. Ill be back to learning WALTER today

Btw thanks for all the current documentation and freedom of editing!
Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #211
Reflected

Is there away to change Font size for FX window and the Media browser window?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #212
Dyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Here is what I've got so far for the themer's guide to WALTER. Its very much an early work in progress, both in terms of what's there not being finished or proofed, and what's not there being ...well, not there

DOWNLOAD

It assumes a working knowledge(ish) of Reaper theming and absolutely no knowledge or experience whatsoever of code. For the pixel pushers out there...

It is intended for themers but should also be useful to users looking to do some theme tweaking. Your feedback is requested, both on the clarity and correctness of what is there, and what else you might find useful.

My feedback is that this is not so easy to get into and is written from a very experienced coding perspective:
Some of my observations are...

I've read as much as I can on the forums, also the Walter themer's guide pdf.
I cannot figure out how to either find a theme without Walter or create a new one where I attend to the basics like "First Steps". This is pretty unclear as to what I'm trying to achieve, start from scratch or alter an existing theme?
If I read on (the themer's guide page 6) from there it looks like I'm actually supposed to create a copy of default 5 and then comment that out?? Bit confused, am I starting from scratch with a blank rtconfig.txt file and do I replicate the look of a default theme that I've unzipped to get that to work? Or do I comment out a copy of a default theme?
These are conflicting tasks that make it harder for tweaker novice's like me to understand the process of getting into Walter.
I do have some coding experience, albeit pretty basic stuff, I can also work around the theme development action window in Reaper but I'm not getting past the basics of Walter.
Apologies if I sound harsh, I'm just frustrated by this immediate hurdle.

I think a step by step description of one or both ways of getting Walter running would help hacks like me. For example, a clear list of actions to create a new theme, including creating the folder ready for images and the rtconfig.txt file itself. Also, an idea of the minimum that has to be in this to make a theme work.
Alternatively, a step by step process for altering an existing theme, including any actions to duplicate a theme (after unzipping, etc). A real "how to... " guide.
Something along the lines of the video to unzip an existing theme (but now I can't remember where on the forum I accessed that), that was a good starting point; I followed the instructions and got the expected result.

At the moment I'm all over trying to piece together information to make a theme of my own. Unfortunately, I have no fixed reference point to trouble shoot the inevitable gaffs I'm making.
Although one idea in the guide is to do some basic Walter work first, I cannot seem to work out how to get that running. Then the guide gives a huge list of instructions that maybe I'm supposed to use but I can't be sure??!!??

Sorry, repeating myself now.

Right now I've created a folder, named it and dropped a new rtconfig.txt file in there that has "clear tcp.*" in it.
Reaper cannot see my folder so I tried forcing Reaper to open it and I get an error that 12 EDL header items are missing.
I added a tcp.size line but still the same error message. I could add more commented out lines but the outcome is going to be the same because they will be comments.
Something along these lines is implied by "First Steps", just a line of code and your off to a start, but there isn't enough information to get up and running.
I need a "hello world" instructional, I think.
Again, apologies if I sound overly harsh. I intend to be critical, I suppose, but not offensive.
Dyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #213
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl View Post
Again, apologies if I sound overly harsh. I intend to be critical, I suppose, but not offensive.
You have nothing to apologise for, your feedback is useful and your tone is measured. Thank you!

There are several things at play here, firstly that you've come to this thread, rather than one of the stickies about how theming works. Which is understandable; I have now un-stickied this thread, which I should have done a long time ago.

WALTER is not theming, its just an optional part of it that should only be approached once the rudiments are understood. Work your way through the stickies How to use a REAPER theme then Common tweaks to a REAPER theme, before finally making your way to Making a REAPER theme, reading the documentation linked in each.

Reaper theming is an accretion over the years of somewhat disjointed functionality. Its all much easier than it looks from a technical point of view, but there's quite a lot of of non-obvious things to learn when starting from scratch. I hope you stick with it
Old 08-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #214
Lokasenna

Quote:
WALTER is not theming, its just an optional part of it that should only be approached once the rudiments are understood.
Some clarification might be useful here, especially since the linked documentation is rather sparse on the topic of pre-WALTER theming.

As I understand it:
- A WALTERless theme is limited to replacing the fonts, colors, and images of... what? The v2 layout?

- WALTER is effectively anything themes do that can't be done from the theme tweaker - that is, everything in the rtconfig.txt aside from the basic parameters at the top.

Assuming the above is correct, it would seem somewhat inaccurate to say that "WALTER is not theming", as WALTER is required for all but the most basic of cosmetic changes and certainly pretty much anything people ask for in a theme these days. It would be more reasonable, IMO, to make a distinction between "theming" and "changing colors in the tweaker".
Old 08-02-2019, 12:35 AM   #215
Dyl

Quote:
You have nothing to apologise for, your feedback is useful and your tone is measured. Thank you!

There are several things at play here, firstly that you've come to this thread, rather than one of the stickies about how theming works. Which is understandable; I have now un-stickied this thread, which I should have done a long time ago.

WALTER is not theming, its just an optional part of it that should only be approached once the rudiments are understood. Work your way through the stickies How to use a REAPER theme then Common tweaks to a REAPER theme, before finally making your way to Making a REAPER theme, reading the documentation linked in each.

Reaper theming is an accretion over the years of somewhat disjointed functionality. Its all much easier than it looks from a technical point of view, but there's quite a lot of of non-obvious things to learn when starting from scratch. I hope you stick with it
Thanks for that. I actually felt quite bad after I posted. I had been through the other links about themes you mentioned but I couldn't find the TCP shaping possibilities I wanted so I moved to Walter. I know you are right, got to get the basics in and I'm definitelty trying to do that.
I made a breakthrough after several more hours rereading the guide pdf and actually got some basic Walter working. I mean fixed positions elements with single lines of code like "set tcp.solo [ "numbers" ]" I think I could write something of a step by step guide but I wouldn't know where best to post it/how useful it would be.
What would you suggest?
Old 08-02-2019, 03:26 AM   #216
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
As I understand it:
- A WALTERless theme is limited to replacing the fonts, colors, and images of... what? The v2 layout?

- WALTER is effectively anything themes do that can't be done from the theme tweaker - that is, everything in the rtconfig.txt aside from the basic parameters at the top.
I'm not sure why you want to get into a semantic discussion about this, what I said is 100% objectively true. We themed for years before WALTER came along. People make themes by reusing existing WALTER. WALTER only applies to the MCP, TCP, EnvCP and Transport. An understanding of WALTER is near worthless without an understanding of the underlying theming.

The document is called WALTER : A themer's guide. It is to explain to a themer about WALTER.

People get tripped up all the time by posts incorrectly using 'theming' and 'WALTER' interchangeably. Please do not contribute to this utterly unnecessary misunderstanding, theming is confusing enough as it is.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:37 AM   #217
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
I couldn't find the TCP shaping possibilities I wanted so I moved to Walter.
Yes, and as you've discovered you do indeed need WALTER for that. Just need to have a working theme first

Quote:
I actually felt quite bad after I posted.
Don't!

Quote:
I made a breakthrough after several more hours rereading the guide pdf and actually got some basic Walter working. I mean fixed positions elements with single lines of code like "set tcp.solo [ "numbers" ]" I think I could write something of a step by step guide but I wouldn't know where best to post it/how useful it would be.
What would you suggest?
Yes, that sounds like you're starting exactly the right way. This will give you a foundational understanding that will serve you very well once you start doing more complicated stuff, or even reusing bits of WALTER from other themes.

Any amount of documentation is always welcome, and as a beginner your perspective is invaluable and hard to replicate. I once started on a 'zero-to-hero' basic empty theme with associated tutorial, but decided it wasn't an efficient use of my time, because most people ignore the rudimentary stuff and dive straight into trying to hack existing themes without a foundational understanding. None the less, please, post here anything you have. Anyone in the future who is doing it the right way, like you, might find it enormously helpful.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:41 AM   #218
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
white tie ?

any workaround for this ?
Old 08-02-2019, 06:45 AM   #219
Lokasenna

Quote:
I'm not sure why you want to get into a semantic discussion about this, what I said is 100% objectively true.
While technically true, I have to disagree as to its accuracy. When's the last time you saw a new theme that didn't use WALTER? At this point, it seems clear to me that pretty much everyone on here uses "WALTER" to mean "the language you write a theme in".

Quote:
...theming is confusing enough as it is.
Quote:
...because most people ignore the rudimentary stuff and dive straight into trying to hack existing themes without a foundational understanding.
WALTER is a programming language. Hacking existing software has always been one of the most common ways for people to learn how to program. It's expected, and it's generally considered not only reasonable but laudable to do so.

In lieu of a ground-up tutorial for Reaper theming, which I agree seems like a questionable use of one's time, skimming through the SDK to learn some syntax and then hacking an existing theme is going to get someone a useful result much faster.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:00 AM   #220
Dyl

Quote:
While technically true, I have to disagree as to its accuracy. When's the last time you saw a new theme that didn't use WALTER? At this point, it seems clear to me that pretty much everyone on here uses "WALTER" to mean "the language you write a theme in".

WALTER is a programming language. Hacking existing software has always been one of the most common ways for people to learn how to program. It's expected, and it's generally considered not only reasonable but laudable to do so.

In lieu of a ground-up tutorial for Reaper theming, which I agree seems like a questionable use of one's time, skimming through the SDK to learn some syntax and then hacking an existing theme is going to get someone a useful result much faster.
Ha, ha, I've no intention of creating a ground up tutorial for theming. I've also never understood how anyone learns anything from looking at the most complicated stuff first.
My problem is not so focused on WALTER per se (I haven't got past putting a static solo button on the TCP yet). I found I couldn't complete the tasks in the Themer's guide without attending to some basic housekeeping. Once I got past the hurdle of looking at inpenetrable/complex code in Default 4's rtconfig.txt, the difficuties of unpacking a theme, repacking and saving a new theme I figured I could draw together some useful ideas that currently don't show up in the forums/guides or are scattered to the four corners. That's what I'm focusing on. No point in learning/hacking WALTER if you can't open and save a theme right?
On the forums I found some good descriptions of how to unpack a theme but I couldn't find anything so clear on repacking/saving your own theme. No point in delving too deep into WALTER if I can't save my work.
Some of the stuff in my basic guide is written elsewhere but I don't see much on coping with the snags that occur and frankly some of the stuff assumes a level of skill/knowledge that is too advanced. As a novice this is a pretty big step up from tweaking a theme from the layouts or actions window within Reaper. I think there is merit in an idiot (me) drawing up a guide to a process that will get some people up to speed who maybe wouldn't otherwise. I'm hopeful that I can post it soon, just getting someone else to read through and test it.
Don't expect too much though, it's just my process to get ready for some WALTERing.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:07 AM   #221
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
I am trying to help people by guiding them away from making a mistake. You may think it is nothing to worry about, but someone has made it in this very thread. WALTER is part of theming, it is not theming itself. You may or may may not understand the difference, but a beginner definitely doesn't, and needs to when they are starting out.

I serves no purpose to say what you are saying, but it absolutely could trip someone up. Its pointless. Please stop it.

Quote:
It is certainly not laudable with WALTER. WALTER is very, very simple (and apparently not technically a programming language, for boring reasons I don't really understand or care about) and only becomes complicated in its implementation. I'd wager that almost all of the bad WALTER code that I've seen is a result of this approach. I've taught a lot of people WALTER, including a child. When they learn from the ground up, it takes no time at all; a matter of hours. When I see the code of those who learn by hacking, they too often seem to spend frustrating years recycling the same code without understanding why, while asking desperate questions about problems that only exist because they don't fully understand the code they are using.

----

I have no problem with you being wrong. Go for it. But if you post things that are wrong here, on the forum that is a reference for theming, I have a responsibility to point it out. Please try not to take this personally. It is a hard-learned lesson, for years I let people repeat weird things about 'reverse margin' without correcting them, because I have zero interest in telling people they are wrong on the internet, and it became clear that I was letting people down... read this post for the full story.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #222
Reflected

Quote:
white tie ?

any workaround for this ?
white tie?
Old 08-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #223
Never

Quote:
No; apart from REAPER overriding certain elements, these are controlled by Windows, and their optional
settings are limited and may be found in the theme tweaker toward the top of the list.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:12 AM   #224
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never View Post
No; apart from REAPER overriding certain elements, these are controlled by Windows, and their optional
settings are limited and may be found in the theme tweaker toward the top of the list.
yeah I thought WT would know some workaround for this...
aweful

I hope that all fonts will be internal soon
Old 01-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #225
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never View Post

well.. chaing windows's text size won't change it.

I couldn't find away to change it yet and it is killing my eyes in my 43" monitor
Old 04-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #226
X-Raym

This guide is still highly valuable even almost 10 years after. (and quite funny to read actually)

I wonder if a lot of things have been made which could be added to it (macros, theme adjuster scripts, and even small syntax optimization maybe)
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote