Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Tone Edge
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper drops file extensions in Windows 10

Hi, I'm having a problem when saving projects in Reaper where the file extension goes missing and Reaper cannot locate the file later.

When I save projects I often like to include a date within the file name (for example "Blues Project 5.4.19"). It seems that when I use this format Reaper will drop the .rpp extension since it thinks the date is the extension. This is easily fixable since all I have to do is locate the file in Windows and add the .rpp extension which then allows Reaper to find it.

I know I could just choose to name my files a different way but I use this naming scheme with many different programs and haven't had any issues, it seems that only Reaper will drop the extension. Has anyone else seen this and figured out how to avoid it?
Tone Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
MrMoto

It's not a Reaper or a Windows 10 problem. This happens in previous Windows versions and with other apps too.

Two solutions to your probem:

1. Type in the file extension yourself: Blues Project 5.4.19.rpp

Or

2. Replace the dots in the file name with e.g. '-'. Blues Project 5-4-19

I always use the first solution.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
radian

If you write the date in the world's only sensible format yyyy-mm-dd you not only won't have this problem, but they'll be sorted in date order.
radian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
serr

Actually there IS something amiss re: item names vs file names + ext.

Forgive me for not being able to spell out the whole scenario... It's not exactly a critical bug though.

When the audio file name generates an item name it includes the file extension.
There's a sequence of events that can lead to Reaper "forgetting" how to handle the extension in file_name.ext. Or perhaps the faux pas is appending that extension to the item name in the first place? Anyway, file_name.ext is treated like "file_name.ext". That leads to rendered or batch converted files named like this: audio_file.flac.wav

Funnily, there's an SWS action for batch item naming with one of it's options being to strip item names of the file extension. So, this has been a faux pas for a while now.

There's something to clean up here if someone wanted to.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #5
Tone Edge

Hey guys, thanks for your replies! A lot of good suggestions here. I admit that a big part of the issue is due to my own file naming system probably not being the most compatible with conventional file naming formats.

As it turns out I was overlooking the very obvious fact that I was leaving off the .rpp extension when naming my files for the first time. Normally if you overwrite the .rpp extension in the file name the extension will still "stick" even if .rpp is not typed in the name, however I found that if you add anything followed by a period then that will override the file extension. That might sound obvious now but a lot of programs will always remember the extension even if you add periods in the name. No big deal now that I know how to avoid the situation, just though I'd share in case anyone else was curious.
Tone Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
serr

Maybe using a "." in a file name except to delineate the extension is restricted in Windows? I've had problems sharing with Windows users before with any special foreign punctuation characters. (Was working with some Latin jazz folks and trying to be all fancy.) I've learned to keep file names simple! But I do in fact use "." multiple times in names here and there and it's never been a problem in OSX.

The bit I mentioned above where the extension gets appended to the name itself is still a thing though.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote