Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
JohnProphet
Human being with feelings

Default New Installation...now what, how to import old projects etc?

So I got a new laptop. I have installed the latest Reaper, latest ASIO4all, latest Focusrite 2i4 drivers.

So now what??

I am going to use my drive from the old laptop as an external drive......so what process do I follow?

Obviously I want to get my VSTS, get my preferences and default setups, and get all of my projects and templates etc

What is the procedure?? Any good threads etc?
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
RobU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnProphet View Post
So I got a new laptop. I have installed the latest Reaper, latest ASIO4all, latest Focusrite 2i4 drivers.

So now what??

I am going to use my drive from the old laptop as an external drive......so what process do I follow?

Obviously I want to get my VSTS, get my preferences and default setups, and get all of my projects and templates etc

What is the procedure?? Any good threads etc?
Hello

I'm assuming that you're on Windows, if not, this won't make much sense

From your old drive, copy the Appdata/Roaming/Reaper folder across to the same location on your new laptop, this will restore you REAPER configuration, templates, etc.

If you have any VST(i)s that did not require installation or/and authentication, then these can also be copied over to your new drive. If the location is different from the old drive, then you'll need to update the VST paths in REAPER to match. Check the old Appdata/Roaming folder for any folders with the names of VSTs (usually named after the vendor), this will contain (for the most part), configuration info and presets, etc.

Any VST(i)s that were previously installed or require authentication will need to be reinstalled and authenticated. Again, it might be useful to copy any folders from Appdata/Roaming that correspond to those too.

One more folder to check is Users/Public - quite a few vendors use this folder for storing app related data too.

Regarding the installation of the Focusrite drivers, you won't need ASIO4All installed at the same time, unless you're planning to use the laptop without the 2i4 connected since it should use its own driver for best performance. On my laptop, I find I get better performance with WASAPI drivers than ASIO4ALL, but it will depend much on the built in sound card if you ever use it.

Hope that helps
Rob
Old 02-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #3
JohnProphet

Thanks brother

so essentially if I get the vsts installed in the same folders I should be good, correct?

What about the actual projects? is that just a matter of copying the pertinent folder over, or is there a certain import process?

Last edited by JohnProphet; 02-17-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 AM   #4
RobU

Quote:
Thanks brother

so essentially if I get the vsts installed in the same folders I should be good, correct?

What about the actual projects? is that just a matter of copying the pertinent folder over, or is there a certain import process?

You're welcome!

It's not important where the VST's are installed as long as REAPER can see them. If it can't see the VSTs, you just need to update REAPER preferences to include the new paths. If you stick to your old folder layout then you won't have to change the prefs. (Options/Preferences/Plug-ins/VST)

As for your projects, there's no special import procedure you can just copy over your project folder, but there is a caveat:

If a project references any samples or midi files that are outside of the project folder it will not be able to find them unless your samples were copied to the same path as before. However, REAPER will let you know that there are missing files and you will be prompted to search for them. If that is the case then pick the root of the drive (C:\), and hit search. Once REAPER's found and loaded the missing files, re-save the project. If it can't find some files, then you probably didn't copy them across to the new PC.

I just saw your other thread asking the same question I'd install Reaper on the new computer and copy the folders over. You could export your old preferences to a file and import to the new install, it's essentially the same as copying/merging the folder.

Once you're happy that everything is across and working, I'd use the old drive for backups unless you have a dedicated backup drive already.

Cheers
Old 02-17-2016, 04:28 AM   #5
JohnProphet

yeah, thats been my only fear all along, is that ill go to start this or that project and i'll get error messages about missing vst's. IIRC when I installed the various VST's there never seemed to be a rhyme or reason as to which folder they had to be in. I made a "vst folder" and some worked fine from there but some didnt. I just tried them in different locations until they worked lol. Some worked in this folder, some worked in that folder etc

AFAIK all of my rpp files and the audio files are in the same big folder so hopefully this will be fairly painless

Thanks again!

btw, yes I ordered a separate 1TB drive for backups
Old 02-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
JohnProphet

ok, I understand its never going to be easy lol

I set the old hd up as an external drive and it shows up as "E" drive.

Problem being I now dont have access to the "users" folder on the E drive

how do I give myself permission from the new computer to the old E drive?

edit. I think I got it. stumbling through

Last edited by JohnProphet; 02-17-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
JohnProphet

Im up and running pretty good now. Only had one or two VSTs that at first were missing but it was pretty easy to reinstall them

I was scared that EZDrummer2 was going to be a nightmare but it wasnt too bad either

I came out of the reinstall with much more confidence about VSTS and what folders they need or want to go into. (its only ever confusing because different manufacturers specify different default folders sometimes)

Thanks again brother!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
RobU

Quote:
Im up and running pretty good now. Only had one or two VSTs that at first were missing but it was pretty easy to reinstall them

I was scared that EZDrummer2 was going to be a nightmare but it wasnt too bad either

I came out of the reinstall with much more confidence about VSTS and what folders they need or want to go into. (its only ever confusing because different manufacturers specify different default folders sometimes)

Thanks again brother!
Hey John, I'm glad you got it all up and running with minimal issues, and got a confidence boost out of it too !

Cheers
Rob