Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-13-2016, 05:55 AM   #1
zhubiii
Human being with feelings

Default No audio from reaper; output problem?

Hi all,
After a couple hours of searching this forum I could not find the solution to what seems to be a common and simple problem. I can't get any sound from playback, mp3s, or live monitoring in Reaper. I have everthing set up right (well obviously not because somethings wrong) with things such as recording arm turned on, monitoring on, output to built in speakers, and I can see the meters read the decibles wether it comes from my blue yeti mic or my midi keyboard. Yet neither make any sound.
If anyone could help me fix this problem I would be quite grateful.
Thanks, Brian
zhubiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhubiii View Post
I can't get any sound from playback, mp3s, or live monitoring in Reaper. I have everthing set up right (well obviously not because somethings wrong) with things such as recording arm turned on, monitoring on, output to built in speakers, and I can see the meters read the decibles wether it comes from my blue yeti mic or my midi keyboard. Yet neither make any sound.
Hi Brian,

Have you already (double-) checked the audio settings if the right audio device is selected. And that the inputs/outputs are enabled and set up correctly? (chapter 1.12 in the user guide): http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

And did you also select the right (audio or MIDI) input for the track (chapter 3.5)?

Otherwise can you please give more info about your setup like:
- Operating system
- Where is the mic connected exactly?
- When using your MIDI keyboard do you have a virtual instrument loaded on the track?
- and so on ...

Last edited by solger; 02-13-2016 at 09:02 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
zhubiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Hi Brian,

Have you already (double-) checked the audio settings if the right audio device is selected. And that the inputs/outputs are enabled and set up correctly? (chapter 1.12 in the user guide): http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

And did you also select the right (audio or MIDI) input for the track (chapter 3.5)?

Otherwise can you please give more info about your setup like:
- Operating system
- Where is the mic connected exactly?
- When using your MIDI keyboard do you have a virtual instrument loaded on the track?
- and so on ...
Okay, so I went through each of those chapter's and double check my input/outputs. So far I am following all of the guidelines and have no sound.
I am running on Mac OSX 10.11.3
My mic is connected via USB into my Mac.
I tried loading ReaSynth with my midi and I only see the meter catch the signal. Not output sound
I have my output to built in output so i can listen however nothing comes out of the speaker/headphone
On my track I have input set to blue yeti usb mic, record arm on, monitoring on, and again can see the meter track the input but not output sound. A picture is attacted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 11.36.06 AM.jpg (28.1 KB, 828 views)
Old 02-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
I am running on Mac OSX 10.11.3
My mic is connected via USB into my Mac.
I tried loading ReaSynth with my midi and I only see the meter catch the signal. Not output sound
I have my output to built in output so i can listen however nothing comes out of the speaker/headphone
On my track I have input set to blue yeti usb mic, record arm on, monitoring on, and again can see the meter track the input but not output sound. A picture is attacted.
OK, seems like you are trying to use two different audio interfaces (USB mic + internal soundcard) at the same time.
Therefore have a look at making an aggregated audio device of both: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000
Old 02-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
zhubiii

Quote:
OK, seems like you are trying to use two different audio interfaces (USB mic + internal soundcard) at the same time.
Therefore have a look at making an aggregated audio device of both: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000
I already created that and make it my audio device. yet nothing is happening, still.

Edit: when I have the Aggregated audio Device selected my sound on my mac is locked in mute...
Old 02-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
I already created that and make it my audio device. yet nothing is happening, still.

Edit: when I have the Aggregated audio Device selected my sound on my mac is locked in mute...
Maybe have a look at the hints mentioned here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/sound-a...problems-os-x/

Otherwise can you post screenshots of your audio settings (in OSX and Reaper's audio preferences)
Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
zhubiii

Quote:
Maybe have a look at the hints mentioned here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/sound-a...problems-os-x/

Otherwise can you post screenshots of your audio settings (in OSX and Reaper's audio preferences)
Holy Christ I got it to work. I restarted my Computer and reinstalled Reaper and then set up all the input/outputs again and it worked.
Thanks for the help and diagnostics.
I appreciate it a lot
Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
Holy Christ I got it to work. I restarted my Computer and reinstalled Reaper and then set up all the input/outputs again and it worked.
Thanks for the help and diagnostics.
I appreciate it a lot
Great to hear it's working.