Old 05-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
Thiago Braga
Human being with feelings

Default Imac ou Mac Mini?

Hello people! I'm thinking of buying a better computer, currently I use Windows, I did some quick searches and saw that Apple computers are a bit better overall. I do not have the money to buy a new one. My question is if the iMac is better than Mac Mini? Or vise versa? I produce electronic music and I use many vsts at the same time. Can you tell me the best option?

Thanks!
Thiago Braga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
cyrano

Mac Mini's seem to last longer, at least in my mind...
Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
bjohn

The advantage of the Mini is that you get to use whatever monitor you like, and when the computer dies you don't have to throw away a perfectly good monitor. The disadvantage to the Mini is that the iMac is generally more powerful.

However the new Mac Mini is a very capable machine for music production. There are people running ProTools and Logic on it with 100+ tracks and reporting no problems; see this long thread on gearslutz: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...-cores-41.html

It initially had some audio glitches that were fixed in an update. If you want a Mini, I would look for a refurbished 2018 Mini from the Apple Store. The older Minis from 2013/2014 are not likely to be a great choice for your purposes unless you can get the i7 processor and max out the RAM. If you buy refurbished note that you're stuck with whatever RAM came with the machine; they're not upgradeable. If you buy new at least you can specify RAM; I'd go for at least 16 GB in your case.

I only buy refurbished Apple products (and most other electronics) and have never had a problem -- Apple's refurbs are in many cases brand new machines returned in unopened boxes and they all come with the same 1 year warranty as a new device. You save a bit of money, sometimes quite a bit (I saved close to $1,000 on my current Mac Pro 2013 "trashcan" by buying refurbished from the Apple online store).

Last edited by bjohn; 05-06-2019 at 09:49 AM.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
serr

Shop used for a Steve Jobs-era Mac. Post 2012 Macs aren't very Apple-like anymore.
2011/2012 are the flagship machines.

Want to purchase and manage your own display screen(s)? Mac Mini.
Like the built-in iMac screen and don't need to screw around with anything else? iMac.

Following what I was saying (dissing on) about post-Jobs era Macs...
The iMac models after 2012 started gluing the screen shield glass to the display! What used to be an affordably serviceable machine with a $60 replaceable screen shield glass is now neither.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The iMac models after 2012 started gluing the screen shield glass to the display! What used to be an affordably serviceable machine with a $60 replaceable screen shield glass is now neither.
But the reason they did that was because the magnetic screens were not dust-tight and would eventually have dark patches on the display (not 100% of them, but a good proportion). Not a good look for a computer marketed for graphics work.
Judders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
cyrano

Refurbs are often better checked than normal production. Unfortunately they aren't always available outside the USA.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
bjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Refurbs are often better checked than normal production. Unfortunately they aren't always available outside the USA.
Definitely available in Canada, though. I live in Canada and have bought only refurbished Apple products (Macs to iPads) for the past 10 years or so, no problems ever. I buy them from the Apple online store.

In fact the reason I started buying refurbs is the better quality control -- every Mac I bought from 1988 through the late 1990s either came with significant hardware problems or developed problems in the first year. I've had much better luck since I switched to refurbs.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
cyrano

We get refurbs in Europe too. But only if Apple has a lot of them. So it's pretty irregular.

Price-wise it gets interesting once Apple starts pushing outside of the official channels. I bought a refurb Iphone 4 for 75 €. That was literally the last one sold in Europe. It came from a bunch Apple dumped through some brokers in London. Every business could by them by multiples of 100 units.

Mind you, by that time, the Iphone 6 was in the Apple stores and the Iphone 5 was already gone. Still, it beats a Nokia for 50 €.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
Thiago Braga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
The advantage of the Mini is that you get to use whatever monitor you like, and when the computer dies you don't have to throw away a perfectly good monitor. The disadvantage to the Mini is that the iMac is generally more powerful.

However the new Mac Mini is a very capable machine for music production. There are people running ProTools and Logic on it with 100+ tracks and reporting no problems; see this long thread on gearslutz: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...-cores-41.html

It initially had some audio glitches that were fixed in an update. If you want a Mini, I would look for a refurbished 2018 Mini from the Apple Store. The older Minis from 2013/2014 are not likely to be a great choice for your purposes unless you can get the i7 processor and max out the RAM. If you buy refurbished note that you're stuck with whatever RAM came with the machine; they're not upgradeable. If you buy new at least you can specify RAM; I'd go for at least 16 GB in your case.

I only buy refurbished Apple products (and most other electronics) and have never had a problem -- Apple's refurbs are in many cases brand new machines returned in unopened boxes and they all come with the same 1 year warranty as a new device. You save a bit of money, sometimes quite a bit (I saved close to $1,000 on my current Mac Pro 2013 "trashcan" by buying refurbished from the Apple online store).
Thanks John. I looked on Apple web site and the prices are a little high for me in the moment, I'd like expend no more than 700 in a computer
Old 05-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #10
Thiago Braga

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Shop used for a Steve Jobs-era Mac. Post 2012 Macs aren't very Apple-like anymore.
2011/2012 are the flagship machines.

Want to purchase and manage your own display screen(s)? Mac Mini.
Like the built-in iMac screen and don't need to screw around with anything else? iMac.

I found iMac Mid 2011 3.4 GHz i7 quad core, 16Gb ram, 256Gb ssd $600. What you think?