Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Default Feature Request: Native Windows/Wine VST(i) Bridge

Are we now on par with the Windows version of Reaper? I would LOVE to see an integrated, seamless Windows-native VST bridge that works with WINE. Something where I simply point to the paths in WINE where I've installed the Windows VST(i)s, and Reaper does the rest. :-)

I think for the for the next several years, it will be something that is very beneficial for Linux users (especially refugees from the MS Windows camp; as well as for everyone involved, since it will make things much more efficient for everyone as well. :-)

Is this something we can even hope for in the near future? I'd honestly place this as a higher priority than even native Lv2 support.

Last edited by audiojunkie; 12-13-2018 at 01:04 PM.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
reddiesel41264

What's wrong with linvst?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:50 AM   #3
sub26nico

Carla (with windows vst bridge) works fine.
But it needs more cpu than native vst.

Quote:
I'd honestly place this as a higher priority than even native Lv2 support.
My point of view is lv2 support is more important than windows vst bridge. Once again, lv2 works fine with Carla but it's limited workflow (heavier cpu, limited automations). There are lot of great lv2 plugins that I really love to use in Reaper without Carla or lv2vst.

If you want to use lot of (or mostly) windows vst, run reaper in Windows, it's safer et more stable.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
Klangfarben

A Windows to Linux VST Bridge is going to be critical for any widespread adoption of Reaper on the Linux platform. While LinVst is really great and has made things possible that a couple years ago simply weren't, it places a lot of onus on the end user and a lot of testing and fiddling to try and see what works, what will work, what won't, etc. Having a windows to native Linux bridge in Reaper itself would help a great deal towards this and make it a lot less daunting to users trying to jump into the Linux pool, myself included.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
calimerox

+1 for sub26nico

as I am understanding the situation a "native" winvst bridge would still depend on wine (and the constand changes and updates in wine) and so every cross platform use would still be fragile? I think it s more important to show plugin developers that it ´s not hard to port to linux and that there is money in the game for them when they follow the example of U-he, overtone, airwindows and all the others who already port to linuxvst. Keep writing to plugin developers and asking if you can use their product on linux and sometimes I remember this already had an effect....
calimerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
A Windows to Linux VST Bridge is going to be critical for any widespread adoption of Reaper on the Linux platform. While LinVst is really great and has made things possible that a couple years ago simply weren't, it places a lot of onus on the end user and a lot of testing and fiddling to try and see what works, what will work, what won't, etc. Having a windows to native Linux bridge in Reaper itself would help a great deal towards this and make it a lot less daunting to users trying to jump into the Linux pool, myself included.
Nearly every word of this is exactly my point. Well said! :-)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimerox View Post
+1 for sub26nico

as I am understanding the situation a "native" winvst bridge would still depend on wine (and the constand changes and updates in wine) and so every cross platform use would still be fragile? I think it s more important to show plugin developers that it ´s not hard to port to linux and that there is money in the game for them when they follow the example of U-he, overtone, airwindows and all the others who already port to linuxvst. Keep writing to plugin developers and asking if you can use their product on linux and sometimes I remember this already had an effect....
The problem here, is that developers are questioning the value of the time and effort put into porting and maintaining their apps. For example, over on KVRAudio, Aciddose, developer of Xhip, has mentioned that he may discontinue Linux support, because he's not convinced that his effort is worth it and that enough users care.

We all know that Cockos (and ourselves) are vested in the idea of using Linux. It would make more sense to have a supported, internal, easy-to-use bridge from a company that is creating the DAW, to entice more users to the Linux world. This will also have the effect of developers like Aciddose seeing a growing population of Linux users.

And as far as LV2, I suspect that if a format were to become an over all winner, it would be native VST. The number of potential VST developers could exponentially outnumber the number of LV2 developers. Windows developers wouldn't have to re-learn or re-write everything to support Linux when using Native VST.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
What's wrong with linvst?
The standard musician (think of all the Mac users out there) just wants to make music, not learn how to compile code to access his/her plugins. The new Linux enthusiast (such as myself), is willing to dig much further than the standard musician. And as I went (without help) and tried to understand everything in the instructions, I realized that the documentation, while thorough, is not quite complete, and is quite messy. I wasn't successful in getting it to work.

Now, before anyone shouts "But Hey! You can always ask us! The developer is awesome and is available right here to help! You just didn't put any effort into it", remember this: realistically, how many musicians that are not tech savvy are you likely to get to use LinVST? It's a great tool. It really is! But it is lacking.

Imagine clear documentation and a supported, up-to-date FlatPak LinVST binary! Problem solved!

Now, I want to be well understood. I am NOT IN ANY WAY bashing the awesome developer of this package! I'm just simply stating what you asked: What is wrong with LinVST. :-)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
The standard musician (think of all the Mac users out there) just wants to make music, not learn how to compile code to access his/her plugins. The new Linux enthusiast (such as myself), is willing to dig much further than the standard musician.
There's no compilation required. Just put the LinVST file in the same folder as the VST plugin and make sure it has the same name as the plugin. That's all.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #10
JamesPeters

Quote:
The problem here, is that developers are questioning the value of the time and effort put into porting and maintaining their apps. For example, over on KVRAudio, Aciddose, developer of Xhip, has mentioned that he may discontinue Linux support, because he's not convinced that his effort is worth it and that enough users care.
I suspect that will change once more people start using Reaper in Linux. And the more plugins developed as native Linux plugins, the less people will care about bridging Windows plugins in Linux. If a few "key" developers did it (NI for instance), it might quickly become "yesterday's problem".

Anyway if Justin wants to go down the rabbit hole of supporting another OS' plugins on Linux, I'm not going to say "no". I just wouldn't suspect he'd be eager to do so. I'm fine with native Linux plugins. If anything I'd like to see LV2 natively in Reaper.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #11
lilith93

It's also my opinion that LV2 support and more Linux plugin development is much more important than native bridging of Windows plugins. Personally I don't even have WINE installed.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
There's no compilation required. Just put the LinVST file in the same folder as the VST plugin and make sure it has the same name as the plugin. That's all.
Interesting! This is the site that I've tried to get the file from: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst

I don't know much about compiling, but I know that files ending with .h or .CPP are header files and CPP code that when compiled, create the binary. I see several files with the prefix makefile. I don't see the binary. Is there a different webpage where it is located? What are the binaries. It's been a few months since I last tried or read anything from the site, but I couldn't see it before, and got the impression that it had to be compiled. A binary and clearer documentation would be very helpful! In fact, if the binary is available for download and the documentation is clear enough, LinVST will be sufficient for me. Any help would be appreciated! :-)
Old 12-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #13
audiojunkie

Oh Wow! When you told me that compiling wasn't necessary (something that I previously believed otherwise), I went back and looked and found the following:

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases

This is it, isn't it......

Wow! I feel so dumb! :-(
Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #14
reddiesel41264

Yeah, always look for the releases tab on github and hope the dev made some binaries
Old 12-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
If not for your post, I wouldn't have known to go download the alpha version of Xhip. It's very cool BTW. I've programmed my own patch using it that is extremely fun to play. I just bought and paid for the native Linux vintage bundle of plugins from OverTone too, so I'm voting with my wallet for which platform I want to see plugin development!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #16
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Oh Wow! When you told me that compiling wasn't necessary (something that I previously believed otherwise), I went back and looked and found the following:

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases

This is it, isn't it......

Wow! I feel so dumb! :-(
Nope, dumb people don't show up here.
A few temps who are marginally dumb
(checking the mirror as I type)
slip through the cracks, but soon become
brilliant, and fully assimilate for the win.
Cheers

...well, I'm still working on that 'soon' part...
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #17
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Nope, dumb people don't show up here.
A few temps who are marginally dumb
(checking the mirror as I type)
slip through the cracks, but soon become
brilliant, and fully assimilate for the win.
Cheers

...well, I'm still working on that 'soon' part...
Thanks for the kind words! :-)