Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Roy Badami
Human being with feelings

Default Looping split items

If I cut an audio track up using split ('S') and keep one segment, is there any way I can make it so I can loop that segment by dragging the right edge, like I would loop other media items?

What I find is that if the media item was created by cutting a segment out of a recording, then dragging the right edge changes the end point of the segment rather than looping it - is this behaviour selectable?

roy
Roy Badami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

Yep. Right click the item and go into the "Item settings" submenu (at the very top). In there, a bit further down you find "Loop section of item source". Enable it.

Note: There is another setting in the same menu that sounds very similar: "Loop source". From your description I assume that it is already enabled. Leave it on! If this one is disabled then "Loop section of source" also won't work as you expect.
(In that "mode" it lets you drag out a silent area after/before a snippet of the source file, sometimes useful when you have for example a delay plugin inserted in the item - otherwise the delay may get cut off where the item ends. Best you check out for yourself to see it. You probably won't need that often)

Basically you could imagine "Loop source" as the main switch, enabling the item loop at the edges, while "Loop section" enables the restriction to a snippet of the source file.

Both settings are also accessible from the item properties window. "Loop source" is a checkbox right below the fade displays. "Loop item source is a bit camouflaged... It's in the area titled "Take media source" as a checkbox with the label "Source" next to it.

Last edited by gofer; 11-16-2012 at 05:15 PM.
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
hopi

I'm lazy... I just select the segment and use glue... glue it to itself... now you can do what you wanted.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Roy Badami

@gofer: awesome - thank you - that's exactly what I was lookign for

@hopi: not discovered what glue is yet - will look it up in the manual. Thanks!
Roy Badami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I'm lazy... I just select the segment and use glue... glue it to itself... now you can do what you wanted.
Or that . Much easier of course, it creates a new file on the HD with the source being trimmed to the length of your snippet. I always tend to forget that HD space ain't much of a problem anymore .

One disadvantage about gluing: You can't tweak the edges outward anymore - if your snippet turns out to be too short later on, you need to start over from the original source file.
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
MonkeyBars

Thanks gofer! Nondestructive selection looping ftw.

Note: Before finding this thread, I tried what the manual suggested: "Copy loop of selected area of items" and got the error "Could not make loops of any items". Any idea why?
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote