Old 09-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Alsklaftsk123
Human being with feelings

Default Electronic music in reaper?

Hi, how do you really compose midi music in reaper with just typing it in? I mean, you can click "insert new midi item", but it just gets one bar long Its extremely annoying to copy and paste the same thing over and over to make it longer. What i have been doing so far, is to make a new midi track and record without palying any midi, and then double click the item and insert the notes. I know it works, but it it takes alot of time. Any help? Anybody here is making electronic/midi music in reaper?
Alsklaftsk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Cosmic

I simply record the parts as midi and then go in to the editor to fix my abysmal playing.Pretty straight forward really.
Although if I practice the parts for a while first its a lot easier.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Sambo Rouge

I compose everything using my midi keyboard controller (Roland).

First, I practice the part to get it as good as I can, then play it into Reaper -- one part at a time. I often play synth and piano parts in with both hands(bass line accompaniment and lead with right hand).

Usually things work out fine --- but if I screw up, then I usually go into the piano roll to fix the odd wrong note --- or lengthen a note.
(For some reason, I rarely have to shorten a note).

Sometimes I put the pads in first, sometimes the drum and bass, sometimes the melody lead line -- it really depends on the composition and the mood of the piece.

If you have a midi controller keyboard then not only does it vastly reduce the time you are working at it but it is a lot more fun -- I mean you're really playing music. The more you do it --- the better you'll become at playing and the quicker you will be able to put things together.

To get started, you don't have to spend a fortune on a midi controller, although as you progress (and get more money)you'll probably find yourself with the uncontrollable urge to upgrade.

Have fun.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Link0126

Hold down CTRL and a pencil tool should appear. Drag the pencil as far as you want to draw a blank MIDI item. Double click the item and it should open the piano roll. Put in the notes you want. If you want to loop it. Trim the edges with your mouse to the length you want looped (one, two, four bars etc...) then right click on the item and select Glue Item. Then drag the edge of this item as far as you want to loop it.
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
run, megalodon

^Make sure you don't have another item selected, otherwise the pencil tool will draw a copy of that item instead of a blank midi item.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsklaftsk123 View Post
What i have been doing so far, is to make a new midi track and record without palying any midi, and then double click the item and insert the notes...
Create a new track, then go to the 'Insert' menu and select 'New Midi Item' (this will insert an 'empty' midi item on the new track), then open the midi editor... no need for your 'blank' recording.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
misterm

Making electronic music with reaper is a breeze. I started using reaper some 3 years ago and I have used it on and off. Lately I have been able to do some more music, I did some reading into eq'ing track and it slowly all starts to sound better and better. My advice though when you go electronic with softsynths, get a decent audiocard, it helps!

What kind of music are you trying to make? I might be able to post some snippets. (don't expect them to be studio polished, I stil haven't got a decent speaker setup).
Old 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Viente

Something like this. Custom actions are the power

Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
nonobvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post

JESUS. i learn something new from you with every animated screen cap!
nonobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
ADDIKTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
Wow those chords actions are very cool man
And I guess that your whole gif it is a very good answer to the thread, about MIDI.