Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
mnmwert
Human being with feelings

Default Any tips for a new user?

So I've been using reaper 5 with EWQLSO for a little bit and was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to improve mixing and making the orchestra sound more realistic.

I generally don't input everything live, because I'm not good enough at the keyboard to do that yet, so I use the keyboard to find the notes, and than input the midi directly into the editor with the mouse. Everything is quantized. The problem I've been having is that the attack of the VSTi, especially on the strings, makes it very hard to create a realistic sounding melody. I've tried to mitigate the problem by using CC 7 to bring the volume up slightly and pitch bend to slide the notes a bit during the note changes but it doesn't seem to help very much. I am using the Sus Legato patch (selected from loading the master on a track) mainly because I don't care for the sound of the others as much. Although it is most prevelent in the strings I do still notice it with the brass and slightly with the woodwinds as well.

Although that was my main problem, I am also open to any other suggestions for improving my mixing.

here is a link to an older song I did so you all have a reference to approximately my level so far. Although it is a different style than the one I'm writing now, I think it accurately describes my mixing skills at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mu9DYveUCI
Windows 10 pro/Dell Precision M4800/Intel I7 cpu (4 cores 8 Threads) 2.7 Ghz/16 gigs RAM (DDR3)/500 gigs SSD/Realtek Audio Driver/Intel HD graphics 4800/nVidia Quadro K1100M/Musescore/Reaper5/VSCO2 CE/ EWQLSO
mnmwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
vdubreeze

Hey mnmwert, welcome!

Entering the midi with the mouse is tough for anyone trying to make it realistic, so don't be too hard on yourself : ) You say you've played with the volume, but have you tried changing note velocities? Chasing the cc volume of notes with the same velocity will give you identical sounding notes at different volumes. But varying the velocity of the notes will probably give the variety of attack and timbre that you're looking for. Also, instruments like strings don't respond exactly on the note, so if, for example, a string has a slower attack be prepared for it to make its point a little late if you put it right on a beat. Often you'll want to put it slightly ahead. Also try the humanize function after you've entered the notes.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
mnmwert

Hi,
Thanks!
Yeah I've messed around with the velocities, trying to give a bit more of an accent on the beat like it would be in a realistic performance, and just in general keeping it from being the same.

Where do I access the humanization function?
Windows 10 pro/Dell Precision M4800/Intel I7 cpu (4 cores 8 Threads) 2.7 Ghz/16 gigs RAM (DDR3)/500 gigs SSD/Realtek Audio Driver/Intel HD graphics 4800/nVidia Quadro K1100M/Musescore/Reaper5/VSCO2 CE/ EWQLSO
mnmwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #4
woogish

help me.......
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote