Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
jonbash
Human being with feelings

Default Alt-Tuner; new Reaper-native xenharmonic/microtonal/alt-tonal plugin

http://www.tallkite.com/alt-tuner.html

This was just released. For anyone interested in non 12-TET music, I'd recommend giving this a look! Haven't gotten my hands on it yet, but I'm looking forward to using it once I get the money.
jonbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
jonbash

...Really, no one interested?
jonbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
pewpewpew

I'm very interested, use non-standard MIDI tuning all the time... but not sure if I'm excited about a $95 program with no demo that looks like this. It seems to have a lot of features but from my experience MIDI pitch bend retuning doesn't work all that well with a lot of VSTs. I'm not sure I'm convinced to buy this over something like Homegrown's .tun generator.
pewpewpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Kite

Hi pewpewpew, alt-tuner's creator here. Sorry, no plans to release a demo version. Jesusonic won't allow the usual demo limitations like timing out or disabling saves. However, I can suggest two options:

I have recently created alt-tester, a free utility that will test your software and hardware for micro-tunability. It uses 6 methods, including pitch bend retuning and MTS sysex retuning. All these methods are also used by alt-tuner, so if alt-tester works, alt-tuner will too. Because it's not a full-fledged retuner, it only offers two tunings, 10-EDO and 11-EDO (equal division of the octave). You can get it at www.TallKite.com

Also, alt-tuner comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can just test your set-up directly without commitment.

You're right that some VSTi's don't work well with pitch-bend retuning. In my limited experience they are in the minority. The alt-tuner forum has a current list of what works and what doesn't:

http://www.tallkite.com/forum/index.php/topic,18.0.html

Any other questions?
Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
memyselfandus

Nice! Anyone tried it?
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Kite

Ummm, I have....

I should mention that version 1.2 just came out, which has the ability to microtune Kontakt via keyswitches. This means you can get polyphonicly microtonal with only a single instance of a Kontakt instrument. Makes setup way easier.

Alt-tuner also now runs in other DAWs, via ReaJS. Of course we all know Reaper is the best DAW! Caveats: ReaJS is Windows and Linux/WINE only, no OS X version. Also Ableton Live has some severe limitations due to its channel-merging and sysex-blocking.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite View Post
Ummm, I have....

I should mention that version 1.2 just came out, which has the ability to microtune Kontakt via keyswitches. This means you can get polyphonicly microtonal with only a single instance of a Kontakt instrument. Makes setup way easier.

Alt-tuner also now runs in other DAWs, via ReaJS. Of course we all know Reaper is the best DAW! Caveats: ReaJS is Windows and Linux/WINE only, no OS X version. Also Ableton Live has some severe limitations due to its channel-merging and sysex-blocking.
Excellent!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
This is why Ableton Live is called Krüppelmididaw. Daw with crippled midi. It is not only sysex blocking, one track forces all notes to midi channel 1, how stupid design, like Apple one button mouse. They simplified it. Meaning crippled it, if translated correctly.

Good, that ZynAddSubFX can deal with .scl files directly, so use it, save as as a new patch, switch patches via program changes and the tuning should switch together, hopefully, not sure, if ZynAddSubFX saves those .scl settings per patch or per midi channel or per instance? Having it per patch would be quite useful, per midi channel also, if you want to keep your scale but change your sounds. My preferred method would be keeping the sound, e.g. some harp patch, then switching the scales via program changes.
I wonder if ableton will ever update this
Old 07-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #9
fxbip

This is genius!!!!! :O

THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR FOR SO LONG!!!!!

THANK GOD
fxbip is offline   Reply With Quote