Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

Default v3.66rc3

v3.66rc3 - August 3 2010
# Recording: if enabled, color every recording pass that adds takes on any track, even if it doesn't add takes on every track

v3.66rc2 - August 2 2010
# Recording: all new takes in all tracks recorded in the same pass get the same recording pass ID (and color, if enabled)

v3.66rc1 - July 31 2010
+ MIDI editor: action to reverse events also reverses CC, works in event list view
+ MIDI editor: actions that target a CC lane will target the top lane if no CC lane has focus
+ MIDI editor: advance edit cursor correctly after paste preserving position in measure
+ MIDI editor: better blink cursor appearance
+ MIDI editor: clicking to the left of a CC lane will set focus to that lane without deselecting notes/CC
+ MIDI editor: fixed CC events on one channel erasing events on other channels when moving CC with notes
+ MIDI editor: fixed splitting notes in looped MIDI items
+ MIDI editor: fixed step input actions when inserting X semitones below the current note
+ MIDI editor: immediately refresh event list when correcting overlapping notes/CC
+ MIDI editor: option to disable single-click selecting CC events
+ MIDI editor: paste preserving position in measure will not paste duplicates
+ MIDI editor: quantize, humanize, event properties, and filter windows stay on top of the editor
+ MIDI editor: swing grid support
+ MIDI editor: swing grid strength is set/edited by dragging handles on the upbeat grid lines
+ MIDI editor: text box for manual entry of swing strength
+ MIDI editor: when correcting overlapping notes, also correct CC events at the same time/channel
+ MIDI editor: when correcting overlapping notes/CC, always preserve the selected note/CC
+ MIDI quantize: actions to quantize note position, or position and end, to grid
+ MIDI quantize: added actions and options to quantize notes only, or all events
+ MIDI quantize: added bypass checkbox to quantize dialog
+ MIDI quantize: checkbox to fix overlaps on commit
+ MIDI quantize: notes will move with grid changes if quantize dialog is open when changing grid or swing
+ MIDI quantize: overhauled quantize dialog
+ MIDI quantize: when quantize grid is set to editor grid, quantize swing setting is linked to editor swing
+ MIDI: fixed MIDI notes sometimes not being played when coinciding exactly with a time signature change
+ Custom colors: action to reset random color generator (also resets default.palette if it exists)
+ Custom colors: if default.reapalette file exists, use those colors instead of random colors
+ Custom colors: default.reapalette (resource dir): text file of R G B values, one color per line
+ Custom colors: organized default custom color menu entries
+ Custom colors: preference for media item background tint strength, for selected/unselected media items
+ Custom colors: preference to automatically color any recording pass that adds takes to existing items
+ Custom colors: support for setting all takes created in the same recording pass to a custom color
+ Custom colors: support for setting custom colors per-take
+ API: allow extensions and ReaScript to get/set take custom colors, recording pass ID
+ Automation: higher recording speed for FX parameter automation
+ Automation: refresh track volume/pan sliders when deleting a track envelope in read/write modes
+ Color theme: added themeable colored bars to optionally display on selected items, active takes
+ Color theme: added themeable colors for MIDI note/CC text colors (light and dark)
+ Custom menu editor: action list automatically switches to the correct section when changing menus
+ Envelopes: drawing optimizations when zoomed out
+ External sync: option to only use external sync on playback or recording, or both
+ Master VU: fixed inaccurate RMS meter calculation with some window/audio buffer sizes
+ Media items: draw media source end notch slightly differently for unlooped items
+ Nudge/set: checkbox to preserve relative item positioning in set mode
+ OSX: better text field coloring
+ OSX: fixed 2GB+ file peakfile generation/reading
+ OSX: fixed a few graphical glitches relating to docked windows
+ OSX: selecting default system devices now allows differing input/outputs
+ Preferences: new tab for path settings (default render path, default recording path, alternate peak cache path)
+ ReaControlMIDI: fixed reading .ins files that contain trailing blank lines
+ ReaGate: checkbox to invert gate output (when loud, duck wet signal vs dry)
+ Recording: organized options for behavior when recording over existing items
+ Recording: recording over existing items can split the old items and add takes, create new items, or trim existing items
+ Recording: ensure that loop recording creates correct length files when "add new files on loop" enabled
+ Recording: fix for loop recording sometimes being slightly off the loop edges
+ Recording: new preference to discard incomplete first/last takes if at least one full loop was recorded
+ Scrollbars: improved zoom button sizing
+ Takes: action to activate take under mouse, mapped to "Y" by default (for "yes")
+ Takes: media item drawing optimizations
+ Takes: media items can be locked to the active take (to prevent mouse clicks from switching takes)
+ Takes: preference to link or unlink all takes when editing start offset (slip editing)
+ Toolbar: refresh custom toolbars after linking/unlinking loop points and time selection via preferences
+ Tracks: "Options/Show overlapping items in lanes" creates as many lanes as necessary
+ Tracks: when showing items in lanes, items whose audio will mask other items are drawn in a higher lane
+ Tracks: automatically remove tracks created by accidentally moving an item down too far
+ Tracks: added preference to remove or retain tracks created by moving an item below the last track and back
+ Transport menu: fixed checkmarks on submenu items (such as external sync, etc)
+ Video: preliminary support for flip/rotate of video (video source properties)
+ VST: inform plugins if transport repeat is enabled
+ Windows: better audio device closing behavior when minimizing REAPER and stopped
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
zappsunzorn

WOW that was quick (thank yous all around and much rejoicing)
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Bevosss

Nice update! Will test soon.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
ConG

Default unicode project path

just a nitpick, but this little bug exists quite a while.

Reapers media explorer can't handle project paths with these strange outlandish letters like "ö", "ü", "ä" some people use.

Click on "project directory", nothing happens in that case. "Desktop" e.g. works fine.
ConG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Sound asleep

this is totally off topic, but still i figured that maybe if it was easy this update could somehow get even better.

I was just think that what would really help me out would be to have am action that bypasses all FX.

this would be useful for me and my slowish computer because i need to remove all FX for recording without lag. i'd have to reinstate the VST instruments though, slight downer but, still it would be cool feature i find.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I was just think that what would really help me out would be to have am action that bypasses all FX.
You do have those actions, search the action list for "FX bypass" if you just wanna bypass them, or "FX offline" if you wanna remove the CPU load completely (be careful with this when using samplers loaded with lots of samples - they get reloaded on each bringing FX online!).
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
BenK-msx

soundasleep ..

isn't there:
track: bypass fx on all tracks

or you could just ctrl click on any green dot next to an fx button to bypass all?

[i thought that might happen - ED.. ]
Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Note that there's a distinct difference in putting FX on bypass or offline - choose wisely depending on your needs!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
soundasleep ..

isn't there:
track: bypass fx on all tracks

or you could just ctrl click on any green dot next to an fx button to bypass all?

[i thought that might happen - ED.. ]
well, idk, maybe there is, and if so, that's awesome. the dot though is one track at a time, i'm usually in mixer view too, so i right click and bypass chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Note that there's a distinct difference in putting FX on bypass or offline - choose wisely depending on your needs!
i was wondering that. what exactly is the difference? the regualr bypass FX on mixer seems to alleviate my consumption problems at least to a degree. is offline alot better?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
EvilDragon

Offline unloads the FX completely - from RAM as well (that's why the samples get reloaded in Kontakt after you put it offline and bring back on). Basically it's like you never really loaded it, but you still have an option to bring it back to your project.

It's basically the same as archiving, to some extent.

Basically, you need a custom action for offlining all FX:

* SWS: Save current track selection
* Track: Select all tracks
* SWS/S&M: Toggle all FX online/offline for selected tracks
* SWS: Restore saved track selection

And for bypassing all FX you simply use "Track: Bypass FX on all tracks".

Last edited by EvilDragon; 08-03-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
BenK-msx

Quote:
well, idk, maybe there is, and if so, that's awesome. the dot though is one track at a time,
CTRL click any green dot and go "ooooh"!

anyway..
rc3 - no probs then?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Bevosss

# Recording: if enabled, color every recording pass that adds takes on any track, even if it doesn't add takes on every track

Tested, it works well...nice!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
Kundalinguist

I love these eleventh hour flourishes to add a feature requested only eleven hours ago.

You can't beat that.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
musicbynumbers

Some excellent stuff in here as usual!

thanks for listening to us all!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #15
Adralicus

Something I have noticed .If you have the option "Discard incomplete first or last takes if at least one full loop was recorded" enabled . And also under "When recording and looped add recorded media to project" with the option "At each loop" enabled. The incomplete take at the end doesn't get discarded.Is there any reason for this?

Cheers
Adralicus
Adralicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 AM   #16
EvilDragon

Quick last minute action request: "Set all selected takes to random colors", since we have this for the active take, why not for all selected takes?

Also, in rc3 the actions to "Set all takes created in the same recording pass to x color" don't work - they only set the active take -> GIF ensues, lunch time now!

Another question: are the regular random actions now using ReaPalette as well? If yes, this shouldn't happen, please - let them just randomize as it was before.

EDIT: There's definitely something weird going on. Are those "takes created in same rec pass" actions mutually exclusive toggles, or are they intended to color ALL the takes from the same rec pass to that same color?

And I think it might be good to introduce another property "Automatically reset random color generator on each recording pass", perhaps?

EDIT #2: Here are the GIFs:

[img]http://a.**************/img132/4182/takecolors.gif[/img]

Here you can see 4 takes recorded in the same pass. However, the action to color all takes from the same pass doesn't color them all, only active take. Bug?

[img]http://a.**************/img825/8841/takecolors2.gif[/img]

Here you can see that in the first pass, the first take remains at default item color. Why? It should take the first color from ReaPalette file, that was my suggestion in rc2 topic. This is an empty track, a new take is being added on it. Actually, I think that the preference should probably be renamed to "Automatically color all takes in the same recording pass", and do that exactly?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 08-04-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
mabian

Quote:
i was wondering that. what exactly is the difference? the regualr bypass FX on mixer seems to alleviate my consumption problems at least to a degree. is offline alot better?
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=62135

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #18
Jeffos
Mortal

Just a Q: when a media is inserted, it doesn't get a RECPASS. It can be added in some ways but perharps it'd make sense to do it natively ?
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Are those "takes created in same rec pass" actions mutually exclusive toggles, or are they intended to color ALL the takes from the same rec pass to that same color?
The way the action works currently, it looks at the active take in the selected item, and colors everything else in the track that has the same recording pass.

Further refinements to the coloring system will need to wait for 3.67, it's late in the day for 3.66!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
when a media is inserted, it doesn't get a RECPASS. It can be added in some ways but perharps it'd make sense to do it natively ?
What would be the reason to do it automatically? The usefulness of RECPASS os to identify which takes were created at the same time, but there wouldn't ever be a situation where this is relevant for inserted media, would there?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #21
Jeffos
Mortal

when you record takes over that inserted media item (?) RECPASS isn't "added" in that case.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The way the action works currently, it looks at the active take in the selected item, and colors everything else in the track that has the same recording pass.

Further refinements to the coloring system will need to wait for 3.67, it's late in the day for 3.66!
So wait, the first GIF that I showed isn't the same recording pass? I did one recording passes, with 4 takes. Shouldn't those 4 takes (which ARE in the same rec pass) color to the same color then, and not the active take only?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #23
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
So wait, the first GIF that I showed isn't the same recording pass? I did one recording passes, with 4 takes. Shouldn't those 4 takes (which ARE in the same rec pass) color to the same color then, and not the active take only?
Some misunderstanding here ... if you have 4 takes, that is 4 recording passes. Here's a gif of the action doing what it's meant for:

https://stash.reaper.fm/5771/366_acti...r_rec_pass.gif

The takes that belong to the same recording pass, even though they are in separate items, get colored.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #24
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
when you record takes over that inserted media item (?) RECPASS isn't "added" in that case.
RECPASS is added to the new take, but not the original.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #25
EvilDragon

Quote:
Some misunderstanding here ... if you have 4 takes, that is 4 recording passes. Here's a gif of the action doing what it's meant for:

https://stash.reaper.fm/5771/366_acti...r_rec_pass.gif

The takes that belong to the same recording pass, even though they are in separate items, get colored.
Yes that's the action that I used (I just renamed it to fit ReaMenus style). So that's actually take SPLITS that get colored, not actual takes which were recorded in one batch, per se.

It would be nifty (for 3.67) to have actions to color all takes recorded in the same recording loop to the same color. Or something. Basically, anything that would color all 4 takes in my first GIF to the same (default, custom, random) color.

And, about my second GIF, how come the first take is default colored? I'd expect it started using ReaPalette from take 1?

Thank you for all your kind answers, Schwa!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #26
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
RECPASS is added to the new take, but not the original.
sorry schwa, yes, I know (hence my 1st question), I was replying to "there wouldn't ever be a situation where this is relevant for inserted media, would there?"
Old 08-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #27
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
I was replying to "there wouldn't ever be a situation where this is relevant for inserted media, would there?"
Right, but the only useful information is "this inserted media has no RECPASS", right? There will never be some other take that you want to group with the inserted media in the same recpass (unless you specifically manipulate the RECPASS field with reascript or an extension).
Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #28
Jeffos
Mortal

Ok, I see! Thanks schwa.
Quote:
unless you specifically manipulate the RECPASS field with reascript or an extension
Damn, I've been unmasked.. Perharps I should rollback on my new sig
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #29
AdamWathan

Quote:
EDIT #2: Here are the GIFs:

[img]http://a.**************/img132/4182/takecolors.gif[/img]

Here you can see 4 takes recorded in the same pass. However, the action to color all takes from the same pass doesn't color them all, only active take. Bug?
Each take in your GIF is a separate recording pass, that's the whole purpose of this new feature, to separately color all of those takes. If you want them all the same color, disable take coloring completely and color the item. The whole purpose of this feature is to make things recorded in the same pass the same color, and that is mostly so you can identify which takes belong together across sections that don't have the same number of takes.

Each loop is a new recording pass.

Quote:
[img]http://a.**************/img825/8841/takecolors2.gif[/img]

Here you can see that in the first pass, the first take remains at default item color. Why? It should take the first color from ReaPalette file, that was my suggestion in rc2 topic. This is an empty track, a new take is being added on it. Actually, I think that the preference should probably be renamed to "Automatically color all takes in the same recording pass", and do that exactly?
The preference is called "Automatically color any recording pass that adds new takes to existing media items," not "automatically color all new recordings."

The preference only colors new takes when necessary to identify it from a previously existing take. This is good behavior IMO. This way I can still tint my items to track colors, and if two takes get recorded in the same location, then the new one will color out of necessity. If there is only 1 take in a given spot, I want it to be the default color, only new takes need to be a different color to separate it from existing takes.

It sounds like maybe you are confusing items and takes a bit, and really you don't need this take coloring functionality at all. You would probably be better served by dealing strictly with item colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
Yes that's the action that I used (I just renamed it to fit ReaMenus style). So that's actually take SPLITS that get colored, not actual takes which were recorded in one batch, per se.
No, "take splits" doesn't really mean anything in Reaper... Each take is always it's own recording pass, you can't create two takes in one pass. You can create two takes by looping, and each loop is a new pass hence creating a new take.

The whole purpose of the preference is to take this:

...and turn it into this:

So that now you can easily identify which takes belong together. Every take gets it's own unique color. In your first example, you want all the takes to be colored the same. That goes completely against what this preference is meant for and changing that would completely break the functionality for everyone who asked for it...

Anyways, sorry if I sound harsh, just scared me a bit when I saw this being discussed... 3.66 is out now anyways!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #30
EvilDragon

Thanks for detailed explanation, Adam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
...and turn it into this:

So that now you can easily identify which takes belong together. Every take gets it's own unique color. In your first example, you want all the takes to be colored the same. That goes completely against what this preference is meant for and changing that would completely break the functionality for everyone who asked for it...

Anyways, sorry if I sound harsh, just scared me a bit when I saw this being discussed... 3.66 is out now anyways!
Easily identify, haha Contiguous lanes would be better, we all know that, but that seems to be reserved for v4. Anyways, 3.66 is out, let's revel!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #31
Jeffos
Mortal

er.. RECPASS.. again, sorry.
I got the point with inserted media, but now let's take this other example: say you load that excellent song you did some times go in v3.22. You punch some new takes over that bad solo guitar but in in v3.66: same thing, only the new takes get a RECPASS.
In this case, I think it could make sense (well.. on the other hand, "inventing" RECPASSes might be difficult..)

It's true I'm seeing/testing those things through the API (on real projects) but I'm not doing a "FR" in any way here. I just thought it was a good idea to post those remarks (and I'll handle that with something like "Error: some takes were not recorded or were recorded before v3.66" ).
Old 08-05-2010, 02:13 AM   #32
nickmoritz

Can anybody tell me what plugin (oscilloscope) is at the back side on this video?

Thanks ahead...
Old 08-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #33
timlloyd

That looks like Schwa's Shope plug-in. Don't use it myself, but it sure looks nice!
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #34
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmoritz View Post
Can anybody tell me what plugin (oscilloscope) is at the back side on this video?

Thanks ahead...
That's schwa's schOPE... just a simple analyzer with 4 inputs and 3 different windows for spectrum, oscilloscope and phase plus a hold feature to catch peaks that go above a certain threshold, different colors for each input/spectrum to visualize/compare signals faster (with an offset per spectrum to differentiate signals) and a couple of options to set the FFT size of the spectrum, its speed and opacity... cool, isn't it?

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=26
Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #35
nickmoritz

Ah! Thanks!
Quote:
cool, isn't it?
Yep!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #36
Kundalinguist

Confession: I'm a Schoper, too.