Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
Yfoiler
Human being with feelings

Default Any tips for handling latency with external FX?

I'm just wondering how everyone is handling their external FX processing in Reaper, and how they are dealing with the inherent latency that results. I've got some nice outboard reverbs that I like from TC Electronic. When I send my tracks out from Reaper to the reverbs and measure the latency, I get about 4,500 samples of latency by the time the signal goes out the D/A of my RME Fireface 800, into the reverb, and then back into the A/D to Reaper.

(to test I record a Reaper click track sent to the verb, record the reverb returned click and zoom WAY in to measure the delay in samples---around 4,500 + or -)

At present it seams the only solution is to set up the verb just the way I want it and record the output of the reverb return track by selecting record output (latency compensated)...and this does solve the problem, but... as we all know, if I decide I've overdone the verb then I have to make a change, go back and re-record the output AGAIN.... what a pain.

So... Can anyone share any ideas or tricks or tips on perhaps a different work flow or solution? BTW, I've used ReaInsert when I need one specific track, but I'm talking about a verb return track with many channels being sent to it. ..........Thanks
Yfoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
fuseburn

- Set up ReaInsert (send to right outputs, receive from right inputs)
- Bypass your external reverb
- hit "auto detect" - latency is measured and compensated for
- un-bypass the reverb
- Now the track with the ReaInsert is your external FX "plugin". Create sends to it, and you're done !
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Yfoiler

Thanks, I'll give this a try, but I though ReaInsert was only used on one track, not a group. I think you are saying the ReaInsert channel is sending a group and receiving a group? But doesn't "only the rights" result in a "mono" reverb return? I need stereo verb. Maybe I'm not quite understanding this... Thanks!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
norbury brook

the TC, if it s a high end one will have dual or single mono in /stereo out it's up to you how you use it.

I used to use mine as twin engined dual mono in /stereo out, just set up reinsert with the right ins and outs and save the track as a pre set.

As fuse said, doing the detect latency ping on a bypassed or dry signal will mean reaper will auto compensate the same as it does for any other plugin to be honest on a reverb a bit of latency is actually only a pre delay so not a big deal anyway.

I used to do mine digitaly, however I started working at 24/96 and my M3000 only did 44/48 same as my Lexicon 300 so I bought the M6000 verbs and a powercore

MC
Old 06-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
BrianW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfoiler View Post
Thanks, I'll give this a try, but I though ReaInsert was only used on one track, not a group. I think you are saying the ReaInsert channel is sending a group and receiving a group? But doesn't "only the rights" result in a "mono" reverb return? I need stereo verb. Maybe I'm not quite understanding this... Thanks!
I accomplish this by setting up the external reverb as an "Aux" track... create a new track and name it "TC-Verb" or something, insert the ReaInsert plug on that track and set the hardware sends & returns then the auto delay compensation as described earlier. Then set up Track Sends from each track (to the TC-Verb track instead of the hardware outputs) to which you want to apply the external reverb and adjust the send levels accordingly. You'll get your stereo sends and returns.

That seems to work great for me, better than setting hardware sends from each track or using reainsert on each track.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Yfoiler

Great guys!! Yes this work very well. But I've got to tell a funny story on my "dumb" self. I decided to record the click track to test the latency of the live reverb track after I had all the routing figured out and working properly. But on my recorded click track going through the external reverb unit I was getting WORSE latency!! Until I remembered the verb I was using for the test had it's "pre-delay" set to 24 milliseconds! Duh!!!!!! Now all is well and I'll be able to use "sends" from any track the verb track with ReaInsert.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. I have a GOOD understanding of ReaInsert now. This is going to be a huge help to my work flow!!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
DeyBwah

Love these moments.

And the great thing... it's abundant in REAPERville.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote