Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #641
moss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Simple question tho I guess... Will this make it possible for the BSP's tempo knob to control Reapers BPM on the fly?
Yes, you can.
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:56 PM   #642
copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Hmm, interesting. Playback is solid and the CPU look also okay. Question is why the play cursor drawing stops.
Could you provide this or a similar project?
Problem is, I cannot fix this until I can reproduce it.
I sent you a personal message in which there is my completed smaller project and a video review with a screen recording and a demonstration of the loading of CPU and GPU. This happens with all my projects. But if the project consists entirely of audio tracks, without MIDI instruments, then the Reaper works without brakes. I hope I have given you enough information if this is not the case let me know. Thanks!
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #643
timothys_monster

Hey, when I run "DrivenByMoss: Open the configuration window." nothing happens. No dialogue or window is popping up.

Is it supposed to work this way?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's all written in the textfile. RTFM!!! Hahaha. Now I will start to wrap my head around this.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #644
maxdembo

Quote:
Yes, you can.
JOY!

Thanks! This is all I've been trying to do for days, scratching my head.

I think I've figured it out now, but we'll see.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #645
frano

Default Using drivenbymoss with playtime

Hi!
After I found the control surface you created can't use any other driver to combine my work with Akai APC40 mk2. Great work! However, I love using Playtime for Reaper also (The plugin that adds session view to reaper with quantized selecting patterns) and I am a little bit concerned how to consolidate your surface with this plugin.

To be fully useful in Playtime it is required to connect the controller via MIDI (so this works in keyboard mode in drivenbymoss) but it needs to set Midi Hardware Output to controller to have feedback on pads light and this is what I can't get with surface. How can I add to keyboard mode MIDI Hardware Output to controller? I need 5x8 pads (same as in Keyboard mode) and buttons stopping scenes below the pads (that aren't used now in drivenbymoss kb. mode).

Can you advise me how it could be possible to expand keyboard mode by additional buttons stopping scenes and map the hardware output on specified track?

Many thanks for response!
Frano
frano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #646
maxdembo

hmm, arturia midi control centre is refusing to accept the .beatstep resources file. crashes every time I try.

I'll keep reading and trying different things

EDIT: Using the midimonitor, I can see the transport and knobs 1 -16 are sending CC data, but probability/randomness/swing and tempo arent registering. Not entirely certain what Im doing wrong now (beatstep Pro with latest firmware, win 10 latest version, 64 bit, latest reaper). I've sacked off the USB cable just in case that was the problem and I'm purely using a MIDI cable for the moments. I can see that knobs CC data registering on a track if I enable the midi input. But the transport doesnt work at all, and no tempo is being changed. BFD seems to pick all this up automatically. I think I'm getting confused at two steps, 1, What settings to have on the BSP itself that might make a difference (tho again, BFD seems fine), and 2. If there is any scripting I need to do or if the transport should just work once I choose the BSP within the drivenbymoss config? Gonna try a portable install of Reaper next.

EDIT 2: Portable install of Reaper behaved no differently. So I thought I'd try a different DAW and installed bitwig for the first time, and its working instantly with the tempo and transport by only choosing the saffire midi input upon install. So I would imagine I've messed something up in Reapers settings somewhere?

Last edited by maxdembo; 10-02-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:19 AM   #647
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by frano View Post
Hi!
After I found the control surface you created can't use any other driver to combine my work with Akai APC40 mk2. Great work! However, I love using Playtime for Reaper also (The plugin that adds session view to reaper with quantized selecting patterns) and I am a little bit concerned how to consolidate your surface with this plugin.

To be fully useful in Playtime it is required to connect the controller via MIDI (so this works in keyboard mode in drivenbymoss) but it needs to set Midi Hardware Output to controller to have feedback on pads light and this is what I can't get with surface. How can I add to keyboard mode MIDI Hardware Output to controller? I need 5x8 pads (same as in Keyboard mode) and buttons stopping scenes below the pads (that aren't used now in drivenbymoss kb. mode).

Can you advise me how it could be possible to expand keyboard mode by additional buttons stopping scenes and map the hardware output on specified track?

Many thanks for response!
Frano
You cannot use the same controller with those 2 extensions. Should work however with 2 different controllers.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:38 AM   #648
moss

Quote:
hmm, arturia midi control centre is refusing to accept the .beatstep resources file. crashes every time I try.

I'll keep reading and trying different things

EDIT: Using the midimonitor, I can see the transport and knobs 1 -16 are sending CC data, but probability/randomness/swing and tempo arent registering. Not entirely certain what Im doing wrong now (beatstep Pro with latest firmware, win 10 latest version, 64 bit, latest reaper). I've sacked off the USB cable just in case that was the problem and I'm purely using a MIDI cable for the moments. I can see that knobs CC data registering on a track if I enable the midi input. But the transport doesnt work at all, and no tempo is being changed. BFD seems to pick all this up automatically. I think I'm getting confused at two steps, 1, What settings to have on the BSP itself that might make a difference (tho again, BFD seems fine), and 2. If there is any scripting I need to do or if the transport should just work once I choose the BSP within the drivenbymoss config? Gonna try a portable install of Reaper next.

EDIT 2: Portable install of Reaper behaved no differently. So I thought I'd try a different DAW and installed bitwig for the first time, and its working instantly with the tempo and transport by only choosing the saffire midi input upon install. So I would imagine I've messed something up in Reapers settings somewhere?
For the Beatstep Pro you need to load the "Bitwig.beatsteppro" not the ".beatstep" file but if it works fine with Bitwig there is no need to try this again.
For Reaper make sure that you deactivated all of the Beatstep pro MIDI in-/outputs in the Reaper settings and recheck that you selected the same in-/outpus as in Bitwig in the DrivenByMoss setup dialog.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:43 AM   #649
maxdembo

Quote:
For the Beatstep Pro you need to load the "Bitwig.beatsteppro" not the ".beatstep" file but if it works fine with Bitwig there is no need to try this again.
For Reaper make sure that you deactivated all of the Beatstep pro MIDI in-/outputs in the Reaper settings and recheck that you selected the same in-/outpus as in Bitwig in the DrivenByMoss setup dialog.
Thanks for your reply!

Apologies for my lack of clarity... it is indeed the bitwig.beatsteppro file that I'm trying. Reaper has all MIDI in/outs deactivated. And I havent even tried DrivenByMoss in Bitwig, it just seems to be working, much like BFD standalone is.

Most perplexing.

EDIT: Gonna uninstall Reaper and wipe my system of it, and re-install, start afresh.

Last edited by maxdembo; 10-03-2019 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #650
moss

Version 8.11 is online!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • All devices
    • New: Detect button for auto-detecting connected devices.
    • New: Many performance improvements: Some updates were put on a slower thread, track
      chunk only is read and analysed if playback is stopped, GUI only gets created if
      dialog is opened, ...
    • Fixed: Layout of Debug dialog
  • MCU
    • New: Added new function key option "Toggle use faders like editing knobs".
  • Native Instruments Komplete S-MkII, A-series/M32
    • Fixed: Definition files were mixed up and therefore the devices did not work properly
  • Push 2
    • Fixed: Display preview window did not update and window layout was wrong

Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2019, 05:06 AM   #651
maxdembo

Quote:
Version 8.11 is online!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • All devices
    • New: Detect button for auto-detecting connected devices.
    • New: Many performance improvements: Some updates were put on a slower thread, track
      chunk only is read and analysed if playback is stopped, GUI only gets created if
      dialog is opened, ...
    • Fixed: Layout of Debug dialog
  • MCU
    • New: Added new function key option "Toggle use faders like editing knobs".
    • Fixed: Definition files were mixed up and therefore the devices did not work properly
  • Push 2
    • Fixed: Display preview window did not update and window layout was wrong

Enjoy!
Interesting. Auto detect picks up my beatstep pro immediately if plugged in via USB, but not if via MIDI. I still cant get the midimonitor to pick up the tempo knob.

I think I have something screwy going on with my system.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:18 AM   #652
moss

Quote:
Interesting. Auto detect picks up my beatstep pro immediately if plugged in via USB, but not if via MIDI. I still cant get the midimonitor to pick up the tempo knob.

I think I have something screwy going on with my system.
I guess there are some misunderstandings here:

1) Autodetect does only work via the MIDI port names, so if you connect it via a midi interface it will not work. But you can still add it manually.

2) The tempo knob of the Beatstep Pro controls the internal tempo of the hardware sequencer. If you want to control the tempo of your DAW with that you need to configure that the Beatstep sends MIDI tempo info and your DAW to follow it. If you use DrivenByMoss you can control the tempo with the 6th knob of the first row, see https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy...turia-Beatstep

Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #653
maxdembo

Quote:
I guess there are some misunderstandings here:

1) Autodetect does only work via the MIDI port names, so if you connect it via a midi interface it will not work. But you can still add it manually.

2) The tempo knob of the Beatstep Pro controls the internal tempo of the hardware sequencer. If you want to control the tempo of your DAW with that you need to configure that the Beatstep sends MIDI tempo info and your DAW to follow it. If you use DrivenByMoss you can control the tempo with the 6th knob of the first row, see https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy...turia-Beatstep

Hope this helps.
OK, thanks. That has cleared up 1), thank you And I will give 2) some thought and attempts, see how it goes.

I guess I just dont understand why BFD3 stand alone, and bitwig (upon first installation ever, and first run) as soon as I chose the MIDI input, the tempo knob works straight away. I dont understand how that works but Reaper wont see any kind of data coming from the tempo knob at all. Bizarre.

Must be witchcraft.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #654
moss

Quote:
OK, thanks. That has cleared up 1), thank you And I will give 2) some thought and attempts, see how it goes.

I guess I just dont understand why BFD3 stand alone, and bitwig (upon first installation ever, and first run) as soon as I chose the MIDI input, the tempo knob works straight away. I dont understand how that works but Reaper wont see any kind of data coming from the tempo knob at all. Bizarre.

Must be witchcraft.
Any technology advanced enough look like magic :-)

Read carefully the Beatstep manual about MIDI clock (it is complicated). Also read up about MIDI clock in general and how it is configured in the different DAWs.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:01 PM   #655
themixtape

Works ok, but I'm still experiencing a good amount of lag when a track is selected with a heavy plugin on it... same issue as with 8.00. I did the debugging... no change. Still went back to 7.05
Old 10-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #656
flipotto

Default Resending color palette entry #0 is back on Push2 8.11

I deleted all files, reinstalled 8.11
resending color palette entry #0 request is back.
I used detect and it detected push 2, great.
However, that error showed up again.

Fixed by removing detected device and adding it manually, click on config change something close, then works.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #657
kneipp123

hi i followed installation procedure in text file, but driven by moss does not show up in control surface dialog. any ideas why it does not show up?
kneipp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #658
IggyLites

You have to select ADD first and it'll pop up
IggyLites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #659
IggyLites

Hello;

Having a small issue with the icon Nano, which should be a baby icon M I think. The buttons that under MCU let me move track around (<< and >>) are doing odd things like bringing up a popup that says Instrument Track, and the button that puts the automation at Trim doesn't seem to do so.

Is there a way to configure individual settings, or am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks!
IggyLites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #660
mehmethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Works ok, but I'm still experiencing a good amount of lag when a track is selected with a heavy plugin on it... same issue as with 8.00. I did the debugging... no change.
same here
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #661
barbaroja

Moss, any chance drivenbymoss could send midi from the active track to the actual hardware port? so track midi clips and hopefully midi plugins for selected tracks also light up pads (push 2 and many others). This, without further user interaction or setup. Like a quick, invisible routing.

This would be super helpful for composing and drumming with active clips. Pretty much the same way Ableton handles pads.
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:18 AM   #662
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneipp123 View Post
hi i followed installation procedure in text file, but driven by moss does not show up in control surface dialog. any ideas why it does not show up?
If it does not show up, Reaper did not find the DLL. If you put it in the correct directory it could only be that put it in a sub-directory. Some unzip tools create a folder with the name of the ZIP file when you extract. Don't copy that folder only the content.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:25 AM   #663
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyLites View Post
Hello;

Having a small issue with the icon Nano, which should be a baby icon M I think. The buttons that under MCU let me move track around (<< and >>) are doing odd things like bringing up a popup that says Instrument Track, and the button that puts the automation at Trim doesn't seem to do so.

Is there a way to configure individual settings, or am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks!
Don't have the device but if it behaves like the other icon models it should be possible to change the key assignments with the editor you can download.
https://iconproaudio.com/product/platform-nano/
Old 10-08-2019, 12:28 AM   #664
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaroja View Post
Moss, any chance drivenbymoss could send midi from the active track to the actual hardware port? so track midi clips and hopefully midi plugins for selected tracks also light up pads (push 2 and many others). This, without further user interaction or setup. Like a quick, invisible routing.

This would be super helpful for composing and drumming with active clips. Pretty much the same way Ableton handles pads.
Sorry, I am not sure what you are asking for. What do you mean by "clips or devices should light pads"?
Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 AM   #665
kneipp123

thank you. it still does not show up though.. there are a bunch of 7zip compressed files in the drivenbymoss libs folder. should they be extracted? can i use it to launch clips without a midi controller attached? and can i use a generic midi controller to launch clips or does it have to be supported? sorry if questions are stupid.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:10 AM   #666
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneipp123 View Post
thank you. it still does not show up though.. there are a bunch of 7zip compressed files in the drivenbymoss libs folder. should they be extracted? can i use it to launch clips without a midi controller attached? and can i use a generic midi controller to launch clips or does it have to be supported? sorry if questions are stupid.
Here is a detailed installation video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xvQ1qV-ZM

Since this extension is about using controllers, you need one (or any software which speaks OSC).
For not supported controllers you can use the "Generic Flexi", which allows you to map the same commands. Also see the related videos on my channel.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #667
kneipp123

thanks alot. it showed up now.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:50 AM   #668
Axisential

Hi Moss, love your work here - have used it with Bitwig already, so know what it's capable of!

I'm running Reaper 5.983 on Linux, with a Novation Launchpad Mk2 via JACK. Reaper recognises DrivenByMoss extension and the Launchpad itself, and allows me to configure etc. I can also see MIDI messages being sent to Reaper when I hit any buttons on the Launchpad. However, nothing lights up on the Launchpad, and it doesn't control any functionality.

Any thoughts on which direction I can head in for troubleshooting?

[edit: found the debugging toggle - here's what looks to be the critical line: "javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Device or resource busy"
So, given that Reaper is definitely receiving MIDI messages from the Launchpad (I can see the triggers when I hit a key), what could cause this?]

OK, so have gotten the controller working - was a JACK issue in the end. Couple of questions vs. the Bitwig version I've used...
1- I can't get as many input modes as I could in Bitwig (can only get the grid, piano and Drum64. Should there be others I should be able to access here?
2- Should I be able to get the sequencer going? I thought I was this in one of your Reaper vids. No sign of it - Shift+User1 gives me the same options as vs. User1 by itself
3- I'm missing the excellent colours of the Bitwig version in the piano setting - everything is white, with the tonic/key buttons in a very similar greyish colour. Should this be as per the Bitwig colours? Figured this one out when I went to Bitwig - the buttons inherit the colour from the track colour. Clever!

Last edited by Axisential; 10-10-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Axisential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #669
barbaroja

Quote:
Sorry, I am not sure what you are asking for. What do you mean by "clips or devices should light pads"?
Playback in reaper for a given track with any already existing midi to light up the pads. Haven't been able to do so.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:56 AM   #670
moss

Quote:
Playback in reaper for a given track with any already existing midi to light up the pads. Haven't been able to do so.
This should work since version 8.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:06 AM   #671
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axisential View Post
1- I can't get as many input modes as I could in Bitwig (can only get the grid, piano and Drum64. Should there be others I should be able to access here?
2- Should I be able to get the sequencer going? I thought I was this in one of your Reaper vids. No sign of it - Shift+User1 gives me the same options as vs. User1 by itself
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Sequencers are supported by now but it seems I did not activate them for the launchpad. Will be fixed in the next update.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:15 AM   #672
moss

Version 8.20 is online!

Tons of new stuff! Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • New: Improved auto-detect of some devices. Added CoreMidi4J prefix support on Macos.
  • Ableton Push
    • New: Added info to the browser mode about if insert or replace is happending and
      selected track.
    • New: Added aftertouch processing to Drum and Drum 64 mode.
    • Fixed: Blinking on queued clips did not work
  • Launchpad Pro/MkII
    • New: All tracks are displayed (incl. fx and master track)
    • New: Shift-mode can now also be accessed from the Session mode. To access the Bird-Eye
      view of the Session mode long press the Session button.
    • New: Optimized Shift-mode, Scene buttons select (again) the Mix-mode of MkII, they
      have no function on the Pro. First row of buttons select the length of new clips
      on both models.
    • New: Sequencers are now available.
    • New: Pro: Added aftertouch processing to Drum and Drum 64 mode.
    • Fixed: Blinking on queued clips did not work
    • Fixed: Page Left LED indication in Note and Raindrops Sequencer was not correct.
    • Fixed: Play in Shift mode of MkII did not work (triggered toggle loop instead).
    • Fixed: Mixer-LED on MkII was not lit.
    • Fixed: Play-Layout was not set when first time switching between Session and Play.
    • Fixed: Stop-Clip mode could not be activated on MkII
  • Maschine Mikro MkIII
    • New: Show info text when Duplicate is enabled
    • New: Added template with required settings to the resources folder.
    • New: Added flip arranger and clip recording option
  • MCU
    • New: Added preset for Behringer X-Touch One
    • New: If device or marker mode is active, do not change track with MCU_SELECT (necessary for 1 channel controllers like Behringer X-Touch One)
    • New: You can now set the speed of the knobs in the settings.

Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #673
RO-mix

Default LInux versiob does not work

Ableton Push 2: Starting...
Could not open USB output.
Ableton Push 2: Running.
Resending color palette entry #0 request.

Buttons are highlighted and when a add tracks new color buttons highlihgt. But main screen is still PUSH.
In configuration when i change INPUT port nothing changes but when i change output - buttons become dark.
COntrols work but screen is not working.

Last edited by RO-mix; 10-13-2019 at 08:41 AM.
RO-mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #674
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO-mix View Post
Ableton Push 2: Starting...
Could not open USB output.
Ableton Push 2: Running.
Resending color palette entry #0 request.

Buttons are highlighted and when a add tracks new color buttons highlihgt. But main screen is still PUSH.
In configuration when i change INPUT port nothing changes but when i change output - buttons become dark.
COntrols work but screen is not working.
Please read and follow the additional installation insttructions for Linux:
https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy...on-Push-I-&-II
Old 10-14-2019, 03:00 AM   #675
moss

The ZIP files were missing the Open Stage Control template.
If you need that please download again.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:47 AM   #676
barbaroja

Thanks for the update. Note visual feedback works as expected.

I got this error while switching between mix, device, clip and sessions quickly:

at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.daw.CursorClipImpl .getLowerRowWithData(CursorClipImpl.java:636)
at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.daw.CursorClipImpl .getLowerRowWithData(CursorClipImpl.java:636)

this repeats endlessly.

Device browser is ultra slow as well and some projects have crashed reaper since I updated to latest version. I jumped from 6.x to this one.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:54 AM   #677
moss

Quote:
I got this error while switching between mix, device, clip and sessions quickly:
Ups, stupid bug. I will release an update soon.

Quote:
Device browser is ultra slow as well and some projects have crashed reaper since I updated to latest version. I jumped from 6.x to this one.
If that remains with the upcoming fix, it would be nice to have some further info. Regarding the browser a screenshot of the Reaper browser with all folders (especially the ones you created) would be helpful. Regarding project crahes please check the plugins and try to change the handling of plugins (e.g. run in separate process) in the Reaper settings.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:33 AM   #678
moss

Hotfix 8.21 is online: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html
Old 10-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #679
greymattre98

I'm a new user. I downloaded version 8.21 and am running DrivenbyMoss with a Launchpad MK2. I have everything working for the most part but I think I encountered a few errors. The Double button and Shift-Double buttons appear to be switched. The second column (shift) one seems to be the start - stop and the first column seems to be creating the new clip and going into overdub mode. Not a big deal but thought I would mention it.

The other issue is I can't get the sequencers to run. I saw in the thread this was supposed to be fixed in 8.20 but with 8.21 I do not get anything different when holding Shift (Mixer) button and pressing Note (User 1) button. It still just cycles through the 3 play modes (scale mode, piano layout mode and drum mode). Is it possible the 8.21 hotfix disabled the sequencers again?

Thanks for all your hard work creating this!
greymattre98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:52 AM   #680
Zirrex

I have iCON Platform M+. Try your drivers. :-) Nice job! Thank you!

Can you help me, please.

1. I select "Volume" mod... (press jog wheel - until I see the inscription "volume".)
- In iCON display i see volume number...

2. I touch volume fader.
- Volume numbers are change. Good!

3. I take my hand off the fader and the display switches to "panorama" mode itself.

- I press jog wheel once and I see the inscription "Volume" and everything becomes back in "Volume" mode.

Windows 10 x64, Reaper 5.984, Moss 8.21.
Zirrex is offline   Reply With Quote