Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-04-2022, 07:13 PM   #1
Taciturn
Human being with feelings

Default Lost Drag & Drop capability between projects etc.;

When I first started working with Reaper (not too long ago) I found that I could highlight some audio items -and drag and drop it into another new Reaper project.

I did this a couple of times.

Then one day I found that I could no longer drag the audio items out of the original project so as to drop it into a new project.

-At that time I could still keep an established Reaper project upon the screen and then create a new project -so that I could line them up side by side, but because I could no longer "drag & drop" audio from one to the other I discovered that I could COPY audio from one project -and then PASTE it into the other....

-I continued working on with this approach, periodically I seem to have the need to transfer audio from one project to the other.
(-I would click on the Reaper ICON again while still having a Reaper project already opened, get another Reaper Arrangement Window etc. and either select the other Reaper project that I wanted audio transferred into or would create a new project depending on my needs.)

But lately I've found that I cannot even get two Reaper projects up side by side. Now when I double click on the Reaper ICON on the desktop the Reaper ICON wiggles a little bit but does not respond by opening another Reaper window, -so long as I already have a project opened already.

In File Explorer on my PC in the Recent Files list I used to find that I could get something accomplished, but now when I click on another project from there it replaces what I already have opened upon the screen with the other project so there's no way to "drag & drop" or "copy & paste" even if I would still have either capability.

I discovered this complete loss of such "drag & drop" capabilities when I read something from a Reaper user forum thread on the web re getting rid of "clicks". -I have an audio item in which I detected a Click, (I cannot tell whether it is a digital click or some noisy furniture that was in the room when I was tracking, and there's no indication of anything you can see on the item). The Reaper user suggested that Audacity had a "getting rid of clicks" facility that one should try. Since I already have the Audacity program installed (but never use), and everything that I've tried on Reaper hasn't succeeded in getting rid of said click I opened up Audacity (found its "Getting Rid of Clicks") -and had it side by side with the opened Reaper project that contains the audio take with the click.

-The trouble is I cannot drag & drop the Reaper item from the Reaper project into the Audacity project. -I cannot get the item outside of the Reaper project window.
(There's no copying & pasting from Reaper into Audacity, -audio can only be dragged & dropped into Audacity)

-The thing is I haven't even been able to drag & drop audio between Reaper projects for quite a while, (that is whenever I would be able to get two Reaper projects opened at the same time).

I figure that I must be doing something wrong, can anyone advise ?
Taciturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:11 PM   #2
mchest

what about copy & paste?
mchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:34 PM   #3
Taciturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchest View Post
what about copy & paste?
RE:
"-At that time I could still keep an established Reaper project upon the screen and then create a new project -so that I could line them up side by side, but because I could no longer "drag & drop" audio from one to the other I discovered that I could COPY audio from one project -and then PASTE it into the other...."

"In File Explorer on my PC in the Recent Files list I used to find that I could get something accomplished, but now when I click on another project from there it replaces what I already have opened upon the screen with the other project so there's no way to "drag & drop" or "copy & paste" even if I would still have either capability."

"-The trouble is I cannot drag & drop the Reaper item from the Reaper project into the Audacity project. -I cannot get the item outside of the Reaper project window.
(There's no copying & pasting from Reaper into Audacity, -audio can only be dragged & dropped into Audacity)"
Old 07-04-2022, 10:57 PM   #4
mchest

to open more than one reaper project,
open the first proj
then
file/new project tab
select the 2nd proj

as to copying to audacity, not sure, what about rendering yr reaper audio & then import it to Audacity

getting rid of clicks, y'd want something like Izotope RX? grab the demo
Old 07-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #5
Taciturn

Quote:
to open more than one reaper project,
open the first proj
then
file/new project tab
select the 2nd proj

as to copying to audacity, not sure, what about rendering yr reaper audio & then import it to Audacity

getting rid of clicks, y'd want something like Izotope RX? grab the demo

I double left clicked on the Reaper ICON on my desktop and my project came up with the audio item that has the click in it that I wanted to drag & drop into an Audacity project or just another Reaper project (to see if I could drag & drop stuff from a Reaper project into another Reaper project etc.) as usual.

Then as you advised, I went to File, and clicked onto New project tab.
-But when I did that, a "Save Project" window came up. -There I found there was only was a project that I had made some days before entitled, "new test drag & drop page.rpp" that I had created, -just an empty project that I was using to try experiments trying to drop & drag the click ridden audio item into before. -Clicking on this and clicking on Save of course only brings up a "Confirm Save As" window box stating, "new test drag & drop page.rpp already exits. Do you want to replace it?"
On the left side of this "Save Project" window under * Quick Access there is a list of folders, one indicating Audacity that I had recently tried to drag & drop into, the original Reaper project that I was trying to drag & drop the click ridden audio item from, the "new test drag & drop page.rpp" project, and another Reaper project that I was working on some time ago. -What I need is a list of all of my Reaper projects to select from when I wish to either drag & drop or copy & paste audio from one Reaper project into another. (when doing this I also get a "Project Settings" window-box popping up as well...)

As well, I find that I get the exact same results when going to File and selecting "New project" as I do with "New project tab".

-So it would seem that, "open the first proj - then - file/new project tab - select the 2nd proj" doesn't work for me...

-Maybe I'm missing some steps in this?

I was hoping that "new project tab" was the solution for me to open more than one project at a time, -I have always gone to File and selected "Recent projects" which gives me the complete list of all my Reaper projects.

I used to be able to double left click on the Reaper ICON on my desktop and then go to File and then "Recent projects" select the project that I wanted audio from, and then double left click on the Reaper ICON on my desktop again get another identical Reaper project come up, -again go to File and then "Recent projects" and select whatever project that I wanted audio sent into. Or start up a New Project.

I remember that there was a time early on that I could drag & drop audio from one Reaper project into another. -Then when I found that it would no longer do that function that I could copy & paste audio from one project to another.....

With regards to copying to audacity, (I've read that one can only drag & drop audio into Audacity). I also read that indeed you must render Reaper audio & then import it to Audacity (by way of drag & drop). I have already tried rendering the item and was still unsuccessful. -But if I can't even drag & drop audio from one Reaper project to another Reaper project anymore (as explained in my starter thread), it would seem that something else re settings or something like that may be amiss.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:11 PM   #6
mchest

in preferences u cld try under General - startup settings: try changing this to 'prompt'

Apply/OK.

then try my original suggestion again.

Your questions are very long btw [!]
Old 07-08-2022, 07:07 AM   #7
Taciturn

Quote:
in preferences u cld try under General - startup settings: try changing this to 'prompt'

Apply/OK.

then try my original suggestion again.

Your questions are very long btw [!]

I went to Preferences and under General to "Startup settings" I found I was at, Last project tabs. -I changed it to Prompt -clicked Apply/OK. But when I again returned to "open the first proj - then - file/new project tab - select the 2nd proj" I got the same results as before.

I still couldn't get more than one project to open at one time.

Then I went back to Preferences > General > Startup settings and also tried, "New Project" and "New Project (ignore default template)" but that too was unsuccessful.
With regard to not being able to Drag & Drop items to outside of the Reaper Project anymore I suspect that, Preferences > Mouse modifiers > under Context to "Project Region" or something like that, may be an idea, (currently it's set to Track), but because I can no longer bring up more than one project at a time -in which to drag & drop the audio to I left that alone for the time being.

However I discovered finally that I could Copy any amount of audio from a given project, and then bring up or start another project, (closing down the previous proj) -and then simply Paste it into the new Project.

mchest -perhaps that's what you saying re, what about copy & paste? on July 4th?

-It's odd though, for in my very beginning days with the DAW. this approach was found to be unsuccessful, at that time only the Drag & Drop technique seemed to work -and thereafter I was finding Copying & Pasting was working from one project to the other -with two projects brought up side by side.

I found a 2016 thread that may have some answers or ideas re;
acintya's 02-08-2016 thread, "Reaper drag&drop not working anymore?"https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172572

Firstly, some in this 2016 thread said that Windows 10 has issues with "drag & drop" with Reaper (i'm running with W10).

Others debated the option of changing the profile from User to Administrator and even disabling UAC. -Looking into that more carefully has convinced me to definitely make sure you don't run Reaper as Administrator -as that breaks the drag & drop capability. (I don't believe that my system has somehow mysteriously changed over from User to Administrator.)
As well,most of acintya's 2016 thread concerned the sudden inability to load any file from the desktop or anywhere on the hard disk into a Reaper project. dragging & dropping audio files from the PC's Windows Explorer -to kkontakt or sampleomatic etc. involving the dragging & dropping of Plug-ins.

I simply want to be able to open two Reaper projects ( or a Reaper and an Audacity project ) at the same time -and then be able to Drag and Drop audio from one to the other.

NOTE: Reaper user DeBased came up with a likely possibility......

DeBased

Well as usual there can be different causes for the same problem.
Mine was a weird one - one instance of Reaper hadn't closed down properly (even though it was no longer visible) and I tried to drag'n'drop in a (it turns out) 2nd instance - the one in limbo must have reserved the DnD target, so it didn't work in the visible instance.

Terminating the rogue instance fixed it.

This is the sort of dumb luck thing that often happens to me when first learning new equipment. -I wouldn't be surprised if my problem is something of this kind.
The trouble is I cannot find any sign of any Reaper project in the system that hasn't yet closed down -perhaps there is a way to check this? -As well perhaps there are other such things that have happened in the course of my learning this new DAW that could have impeded my opening more than one project at a time, and the D & D from one project to the other capability?
Old 07-23-2022, 09:56 PM   #8
mchest

what version reaper you running?
spend some quality time with the reaper manual ?