Old 06-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #1
ChrisBlue
Human being with feelings

Default TRY AGAIN

I uninstalled everything from the flashdrive and reinstalled a new portable Reaper on a laptop with NO other Reaper on it. Then plug the flashdrive into my music computer and go to that drive and click on reaper exe and YET AGAIN it starts scanning all the plugins on the music computer.

WHY

HOW DO YOU DO THIS "SIMPLE" THING

will someone who runs this company sort this out for me please. I have followed all the steps. Despite received opinion that it is the user always at fault for not knowing computers to the nth degree it is in fact that things SO often DO NOT WORK and there is NOT PROPER COMMUNICATION
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:15 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

The portable install won't ever have seen the plugins that exist on the new computer, so it will scan them by default.

There is an option in preferences/plug-ins/VST, "scan new/updated plug-ins on startup." If you disable that option in the portable install, it should no longer scan for plugins when you run the portable install on a new computer.

I think I responded with this information in your other thread?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:02 AM   #3
ChrisBlue

Yes I thought it meant all the issues from before were happening again i.e. that it was opening the computer Reaper with all the projects etc like before but it seems this time things might actually have worked. It must be because I did everything EXACTLY THE SAME ....er

Anyway after several hours over 3 days it's decided to stop being a being from hell and just did what it was directed to do.

You wrote before about having to change the preference settings in the main Reaper as well when I wanted to stop the scanning by the flashdrive reaper. So you mean change preferences, do whatever you want with the flashdrive and then afterwards change the preference settings back?

One last thing if you happen to know. When I have closed the reaper on the flashdrive and clicked the "safe to remove " option it tells me that the program is still in use and so don't remove - is this just another random piece of computer nonsense or is there some mystery arcane double close the program option ( assuming not?!)
Anyway thanks for replying to my original question
Old 06-26-2022, 11:05 AM   #4
ChrisBlue

Also how do I regain the option to open a particular project by right clicking on the reaper icon on the music computer, which seems to have gone wrong as described before? Thanks
Old 06-26-2022, 11:22 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

If you're happy with the behavior of the portable install of REAPER now that you have changed the plugin scanning preference in that install, you could just leave it that way. You can always run a plugin scan on demand later if you need to.

The right-click menu you are referring to is called the "jump list" and that is managed by Windows, not by REAPER. If the jump list has been cleared, it's probably because some cache has been cleared by Windows, or because the shortcut itself changed in some way (maybe REAPER was updated?). But that's a Windows thing, not a REAPER thing.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:41 AM   #6
ivansc

@Schwa: You have the patience of a saint, mate.