Old 04-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #201
S-N-S
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
I'm waiting on getting some of the graphics he has. Without that I'm in the same boat all of you are, but with Corel X3.

he doesent have them

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #202
labyrinth

Well, if he does not have them, than it's a wash, no. I too busy with work on 'Easy On The Eyes vs.2' and actual studio work to start from scratch.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #203
livedead13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shramm View Post
guys, this f***ing work seems to be lasting forever. we don't have even a minute of free time. if you want to try and make this theme by your own forces, then i can upload the draft-file of this theme in coreldraw 9 format.

UPD:
http://www.1shot.info/tmp/REAPER_interface+.cdr
this is the Corel file right? isn't that what you need?

or did he have actual Reaper graphics files already prepared?

Last edited by livedead13; 04-29-2008 at 09:27 AM.
livedead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #204
labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedead13 View Post
this is the Corel file right? isn't that what you need?

or did he have actual Reaper graphics files already prepared?
That will work...I will start on this stat.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #205
S-N-S

all he have is the corel files,as he wrote in a earlier post

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #206
Pashkuli
Banned

labyrinth,
please take your time and do not rush. There is no deadline.
Be creative and... May The Force Be With You!
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #207
laserjones

I was soooo disappointed to find out that the original screenshot (which I first saw in an "official" review of Reaper!!!) is actually a mock-up. I really hope this will become reality. In fact it's by far the best theme design for Reaper I have seen so far, and even one of the best DAW designs in general (rivaled only by Tracktion 3 and Ableton Live maybe).

I really appreciate the clean look. I never understood why most people keep making themes with lots of color gradients, blinking metal and imitations of hardware controls that only confuse the eyes and distract from the actual work. This one is GREAT! PLEASE make it happen! My vote for making this the future default theme.
laserjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #208
mysteryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjones View Post
I was soooo disappointed to find out that the original screenshot (which I first saw in an "official" review of Reaper!!!) is actually a mock-up. I really hope this will become reality. In fact it's by far the best theme design for Reaper I have seen so far, and even one of the best DAW designs in general (rivaled only by Tracktion 3 and Ableton Live maybe).

I really appreciate the clean look. I never understood why most people keep making themes with lots of color gradients, blinking metal and imitations of hardware controls that only confuse the eyes and distract from the actual work. This one is GREAT! PLEASE make it happen! My vote for making this the future default theme.
Everything you just said is (to my eye) so patently obvious that I'm shocked this thread isn't even longer! (but I'm not shocked it hasn't died)
mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #209
Upright

I'm confident that one day we will sit down and enjoy this theme as a unified people!
Upright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #210
oneshot

any updates ?
oneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #211
labyrinth

Not yet, sorry...I will post my progress.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #212
labyrinth

Default Please Do Not Shoot Me

I am abandoning this theme due to these reasons:

1. Many things that make this theme standout simply can not be done in REAPER currently.
a. Meters under the faders
b. Fader positioning coloring (also under the faders)
c. The positioning of many things (almost all)
d. Alternate panels for the child tracks of the folders.

2. The graphics are stunning, especially looking at them in the vector file. To make them work in REAPER I had to convert them and the loss was huge. Now this could be the algorithm I'm using in Corel X3, but with the conversion from vector to raster, the resizing to have the images match the scale, and also to fit the proportions that REAPER requires- the images became CRAP, really.

3. One huge thing I was trying to do when creating this as a REAPER theme was to maintain the gloss and sheen of the original file, but because REAPER is limited to a certain file size limit I was unable to convey this (IMO).

Now someone with more graphics experience may be able to get this to work, but I am not a graphics pro, thus why I work with sound. Now my Easy On The Eyes, Tallisman's ReaBend/UberXonix, White Tie's Elevator, Valle's Vixie Plain vs.1&2 and many others are great examples of what can be done in REAPER as is. This is something that I do not think can be done (not well at least).

I'm sorry to everyone, I was hoping for it too.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #213
livedead13

Default thanks for trying

i'm sure we all appreciate the effort.
livedead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #214
labyrinth

Thanks for not spitting at me.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #215
oneshot

Sad.
We are graphics experienced, 3d and vector is not a problem, but with reaper it can't be done.
Until we have free positioning of elements %(
oneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #216
larrygates

Quote:
I am abandoning this theme due to these reasons:

1. Many things that make this theme standout simply can not be done in REAPER currently.
a. Meters under the faders
b. Fader positioning coloring (also under the faders)
c. The positioning of many things (almost all)
d. Alternate panels for the child tracks of the folders.

2. The graphics are stunning, especially looking at them in the vector file. To make them work in REAPER I had to convert them and the loss was huge. Now this could be the algorithm I'm using in Corel X3, but with the conversion from vector to raster, the resizing to have the images match the scale, and also to fit the proportions that REAPER requires- the images became CRAP, really.

3. One huge thing I was trying to do when creating this as a REAPER theme was to maintain the gloss and sheen of the original file, but because REAPER is limited to a certain file size limit I was unable to convey this (IMO).

Now someone with more graphics experience may be able to get this to work, but I am not a graphics pro, thus why I work with sound. Now my Easy On The Eyes, Tallisman's ReaBend/UberXonix, White Tie's Elevator, Valle's Vixie Plain vs.1&2 and many others are great examples of what can be done in REAPER as is. This is something that I do not think can be done (not well at least).

I'm sorry to everyone, I was hoping for it too.
Don't worry about it. I'm fine with knowing it exists, and you were humble enough to detail your reasons. I appreciate it.

But I also predicted this would happen, and knew the trade off wouldn't be worth it. The patience for when it does happen will be great, and there will probably be a better theme by that time also. (I doubt it though)
larrygates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #217
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
I am abandoning this theme due to these reasons ....
But thanks a lot for your efforts anyway.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #218
mysteryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
But thanks a lot for your efforts anyway.
Let's be clear here that this theme (one shot) is *not* dead in the least, just this particular approach to it, the basic "feel" of this theme is do-able
mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:24 AM   #219
Upright

It should've been so,...it should've been so.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #220
myownsilence

To be honest one thing that annoys me with reaper is the skinnable interface.. loads of good themes but its all messy. I still find if you look at Sonar or Cubase the quality in Reaper is far from great at the moment. This is not to go against the amazing work of many but I would say it would be nice just to get one great look to reaper rather than loads of interesting designs. Reaper could be amazing and under the hood for me is the best DAW out there but it still looks crap and puts many of with its amateurish first impressions.

Whilst this theme could be a look fowared in a future its clear what the users are hungering for... a decent professional feeling front end. Justin really needs to consider this problem carefully (and probably already has).

Its not just Winamp.. its a serious piece of software (not saying winamp wasnt but you know what im getting at) and should respectfully be treated so.

Desingers of skins please dont take offense to this post, my point is in a comparison to what many companies have spend much time and money getting right, after all they only have one interface and it has to be perfect

Last edited by myownsilence; 06-17-2008 at 05:36 AM.
myownsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:47 AM   #221
labyrinth

I've certainly played with many skins and have created many myself and REAPER in my opinion is helled back at this. Although no one graphics set will please everyone at least the quality would. Quality is what's important...it says a lot about an app when it looks good, easy on the eyes, and very legible.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #222
ngarjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by myownsilence View Post
To be honest one thing that annoys me with reaper is the skinnable interface.. loads of good themes but its all messy. I still find if you look at Sonar or Cubase the quality in Reaper is far from great at the moment. This is not to go against the amazing work of many but I would say it would be nice just to get one great look to reaper rather than loads of interesting designs. Reaper could be amazing and under the hood for me is the best DAW out there but it still looks crap and puts many of with its amateurish first impressions.

Whilst this theme could be a look fowared in a future its clear what the users are hungering for... a decent professional feeling front end. Justin really needs to consider this problem carefully (and probably already has).

Its not just Winamp.. its a serious piece of software (not saying winamp wasnt but you know what im getting at) and should respectfully be treated so.

Desingers of skins please dont take offense to this post, my point is in a comparison to what many companies have spend much time and money getting right, after all they only have one interface and it has to be perfect
I think an issue is that not everyone has the same idea of what a "clean" and "professional" skin/GUI looks like. Hence why skinnable is such a boon: it allows for varying interpretations of "clean" and "professional" all at once. I don't understand why people are so down on skinning (this is not the first comment I've seen here that skinning is not "professional"); in my software world, choice and user freedom is exactly how I get my interfaces working the way I want them, not just the way a designer likes it.

I'm not against the idea of having some nicer, upgraded, "commercial" themes available (I would argue that such a thing already exists but it's subjective I suppose), but I would not favor an interface which was always stuck the same way.
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #223
labyrinth

Maybe skinning is good, but what needs to be updated is REAPER's abilities at skinning. I know from experience that many of my own themes have faltered due to REAPER's limitations in it's themeing abilities...whether it's size, overlapping of skinable and non-skinable features, or etc... a few tweaks could go a long way. There are truly many talented graphic artists around here that a great (truly great) theme is very possible and many are already, even within the limits of REAPER now.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #224
technogremlin

I think there are currently several skins that deserve the 'professional' label. It is indeed a matter of taste and from my perspective I don't see on which points the 'graphic layout' of Sonar (for example) is 'more professional'.

And then there is this: somwhere along the lines the skinning system will evolve, simply because it is in the app, and after that we will have graphic possibilities that users of 'other' DAWs can only dream of

Just an example of a fully skinable interface (Orion):

Everything you see is skinable, you can swap faders for knobs and the opposite, etc.

technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #225
Teksonik

Or muck it up like this:

Teksonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #226
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksonik View Post
Or muck it up like this:
Hey Teksonik, nice to see you here too

In case you didn't figure it out, I'm CW
Old 06-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #227
Teksonik

CW! Good to see you here as well. This is a much nicer place to hang out.
Teksonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #228
Foto35

Default 1 Shot resureccion

I am working in this theme, I believe that in some weeks I will have some results, be patient

Foto 35
Foto35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #229
davidamnesia

Default I know out-of-work badass gaming design ninjas

Thanks to being in Austin, TX.....where a lot of consolidation and layoffs happened as the big gamers here flailed or got bought up.

How about a few of contribute some small amount each and just straight "hire" and out of work game graphic genius?
davidamnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #230
synth

Wow,this theme is just what I was looking for.Very clean-looking,easy on the eyes,light,rounded with a great color scheme.
I won't say it's 100% original though.I've seen a very similar layout before in a Japanese MIDI sequencer for a gaming console (I loved the simple,but effective design)

Also,you can find this color scheme in my old classic color themes (Heavenly and Toilet)
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #231
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

This talk of video games has made me think of a better analogy:

Back in the day, music for video games needed to be done on the onboard sound chip. It was a limitation, but people worked around it. You could compose a great piece of music, record it with a large orchestra, and present it as 'music for a game' but if it didn't rock when constrained to the limitations of the onboard sound chip, no amount of wishful thinking would change the fact that what you wanted wasn't possible yet.

Please, on behalf of myself and all the other active themers, hear this and understand it: It is not a talent gap that is preventing this mockup or any other from existing, its is a capability gap. And you're just going to have to be patient. In the meantime, if you could please refrain from running down our efforts as a consequence of a lack of talent, it would be much appreciated.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #232
historic stork

word, wt.

i have no problem using reaper in its current form. and i don't mind the reaper team strengthening the software's backbone before improving the gui.
ECHO Audiofire 12
historic stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #233
Upright

What's the deal with this theme? Are we ever going to see it?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #234
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upright View Post
What's the deal with this theme? Are we ever going to see it?
If you read this topic from the beginning through you will see that this theme depends on theming-functionality that is NOT YET available in Reaper.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:06 AM   #235
labyrinth

Thank you Tech.