Old 04-07-2023, 12:15 AM   #1
APairOfSocks95
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI appearing offline

Hi all,

Since (finally) updating Reaper, I've been having trouble importing, recording or even drawing in midi.

After having issues with my initial project, I created a new one to trouble shoot.
-Track is set up to receive Midi
-After a few googles, I've checked that "create new Midi" and "insert Midi" are set to midi item.
-My interface drivers are up to date and its set up correctly to receive Midi input
-I tried importing a few old, exported midi files that I exported directly out of reaper at the end of last year. The are not importing at all, giving me the "Could not import 1 of 1 item' error message. This would suggest that the file isn't compatible with Reaper. They are .mid files.
-I also used the insert tab to create a new Midi item. This resulted in OFFLINE tracks. Same result when recording.
-When I open my Virtual Instrument, I have no problem receiving audio. When i use Virtual Keyboard in Reaper (after changing track input settings) the track receives signal but does not produce sound.

Note I occasionally use midi to record electric kit, but mainly use either virtual keyboard or draw notes into midi editor. Maybe there is an overlapping setting that I don't know about? It's possible I'm overlooking something, but after trying to fix for a few days it's fair to say I can't find it if I am. I've included screen shots.
It's rendered all of my projects pretty much useless, any help is much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png midi 1.png (92.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png midi 2.png (70.4 KB, 37 views)
APairOfSocks95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:42 PM   #2
b2001
Human being with feelings

A lot to going on here, so will start with a couple of things:

If you create a new project, save it to establish its folder location do you get the same offline situation with midi items/data?

“ When I open my Virtual Instrument, I have no problem receiving audio. When i use Virtual Keyboard in Reaper (after changing track input settings) the track receives signal but does not produce sound.”

So this is confusing to me. Selecting keys on the virtual keyboard will generate midi notes that a vsti will use to generate audio. So you are saying you are getting midi and audio signal in that scenario on that track?

On the first sentence, what is generating the audio?
On the second sentence, you are seeing midi signal? What vsti and what midi channel is it set to receive on? What did you change input track settings to? Have you tried a few different vstis?

I do suspect there is more going on here, but need to tackle things one at a time.

Normally, most vstis receive on midi channel 1 by default and the virtual keyboard defaults to 1. You should be able to get midi and audio signal without other setup.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote