Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Default V6 Theme Adjuster - Settings not saving

Some people are reporting that changes made to the theme adjuster are not saving between sessions. I would like to please invite you to do some detective work so we can fix this, and narrow down what commonalities are causing the problem.

Some things the theme adjuster does are saved as part of your project (colors, for example). Some are just Reaper preferences. But the vast majority are theme/layout changes and are saved in a file called 'reaper-themeconfig.ini'.

Please open the script and change the setting of this control to ...anything. Just change it.

Now please go to "Options > Show Reaper resource path in explorer/finder" to locate your reaper-themeconfig.ini file, and open it. In the section '[Default_6.0]' look for param1=xx. This is the parameter for the Mixer folder indent, we'll use it as the test parameter because its param1. Please note its current value. Then use the script to change the Mixer folder indent, and then reload your reaper-themeconfig.ini. And here's the million dollar question:

Has the value for param1 changed?!

If not ...there's the problem Let me know, and we can start tracking it down.

If you have multiple installs of Reaper, or multiple installs of the script, or perhaps because you are on a portable install (we have yet to clarify if this matters, it shouldn't), or perhaps because you have been doing things with .ini files, the connection between the script and the reaper-themeconfig.ini can get it wires crossed, and your changes will be written to a file the Reaper install you are using doesn't access.

If/when the problem is resolved for you, please please please
report back (including your install count / portable status) so I can more
accurately target advice for future users in the same situation. Thanks!

ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATION
Have you changed the theme using the Theme development/Tweaker?

If so, when you clicked 'Save Theme', what did you name it? Because you probably just made a new theme. The Theme Adjuster will continue to change settings, but it will keep track of those changes in your reaper-themeconfig.ini file under the name of the new theme, from scratch

If this might explain the trouble some of you are having, please report back. Thanks!

Last edited by White Tie; 01-11-2020 at 02:25 PM.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
nightscope
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Yes.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
mykrobinson

Good morning. @White Tie , I filed a bug report on this topic yesterday before you asked me to join this thread. I wanted to direct you towards that thread, I have some information in there that may (or may not) be useful

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228019

Long story short, I got frustrated at the theme literally reverting itself while I was actively using Reaper. It seemed to be consistent with me making non-related edits in preferences, and as soon as i hit "apply", the theme would revert.

I noted that the .ini file was not saving, and the time stamp for the file was from when I installed Reaper (new pc build, clean install, no data imported)

I read another thread about the topic and tired the portable install, and copied the .ini file into my proper install directory. What i found interesting was that even if I totally deleted the .ini file, a new one was not recreated, and the theme appeared to do what it wanted.

I got frustrated and wanted to just get back to working, so I changed my theme to Default 5 and worked for a bit. Then i started playing with rebuilding some track templates, being very careful to not import ANYTHING to make sure that I was not breaking things. On a whim, I changed back to Default 6 theme in a clean project while working on the track templates, and i noticed that the theme suddenly looked right... I then checked the timestamp on the .ini file and saw that the timestamp had changed.

I loaded an older project (the one i first started working with) and it now appeared correct as well.

Not sure what the catalyst is for this, but I am very curious for others to test switching to Default 5 for the theme, then back to Default 6, and see if it suddenly starts working for them as well. And if it does, the million dollar question is "why does this work," or was it just coincidence

Thanks for your hard work and assistance. And disregard the "long story short" comment at the top, apparently i write books of useless babble and double talk. It's a gift...
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
spk77

"param1" changes here (Win 8.1, REAPER v6.0+dev1204/x64):
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
d. gauss

hopefully not OT, but how do you reset everything back to default settings? i accidentally changed a parameter in the adjuster for the worse and have no idea what it should be as a default.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
SBK

Default Reaper 6 - Theme adjuster settings won't save! Help!

When I open Reaper and adjust the theme, so, for example, disable the "hide" features. if I close and reopen Reaper, those settings and all others I've made are gone!

I had Reaper 5 installed, and when I installed Reaper 6 I made a new folder in Program Files. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Then I uninstalled both and installed 6 again, same thing.

Last edited by SBK; 12-05-2019 at 11:03 AM.
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
SBK

I confirm changing to v5 theme, and then again on 6, it has my settings! but then my color tweaks are gone, and if I import the configuration I saved for the colors I tweaked, then its loosing the adjuster settings! any tips?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
mykrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
I confirm changing to v5 theme, and then again on 6, it has my settings! but then my color tweaks are gone, and if I import the configuration I saved for the colors I tweaked, then its loosing the adjuster settings! any tips?
you may be onto something... I first started working with old projects (not ancient, i just mean i didn't start with a clean project). My historical projects are color coded, i used SWS Auto Color. Wonder if the custom color is the common thread?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
you may be onto something... I first started working with old projects (not ancient, i just mean i didn't start with a clean project). My historical projects are color coded, i used SWS Auto Color. Wonder if the custom color is the common thread?
I mentioned this in a post somewhere that SWS Auto Color stuff doesn't really work with the theme adjustor, as far as I can tell.

For example, I have say a nice orange for tracks with the name "Lead".

If I use the color palette thing in the Theme Adjustor, it might change all current tracks named Lead to another color.. perhaps a really nice one I like even more! Now if create another track named Lead, it still uses the older color that I'd set up in SWS Auto Color. Not exactly what i would hope for, as that basically renders this color palette thing (which I happen to really like!!) useless for me... unless I'm just doing something wrong with it.

What would be nice (imo) is to be able to use the color palette thing to generate up some new SWS Auto color options and have those stick.

I assume that's not what it was designed for, but given that my new projects start out with several tracks in them by default with auto coloring (I have a default template I created) the new color palette options don't make sense for me to use right now. It's too bad because I think that's a real neat feature.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
Judders

Quote:
I got frustrated and wanted to just get back to working, so I changed my theme to Default 5 and worked for a bit. Then i started playing with rebuilding some track templates, being very careful to not import ANYTHING to make sure that I was not breaking things. On a whim, I changed back to Default 6 theme in a clean project while working on the track templates, and i noticed that the theme suddenly looked right... I then checked the timestamp on the .ini file and saw that the timestamp had changed.

I loaded an older project (the one i first started working with) and it now appeared correct as well.

Not sure what the catalyst is for this, but I am very curious for others to test switching to Default 5 for the theme, then back to Default 6, and see if it suddenly starts working for them as well. And if it does, the million dollar question is "why does this work," or was it just coincidence

Thanks for your hard work and assistance. And disregard the "long story short" comment at the top, apparently i write books of useless babble and double talk. It's a gift...
My settings were not persisting (Mac OS), but then they did. Once I saw your post I realised I had changed themes the last time REAPER was open before it remembered my settings. I didn't use V5 though, just another V6 that I'd saved with some theme tweaker alterations (script is greyed out under options menu if the theme name is changed, but it still runs from the actions menu, and I found my .ini file has settings under different headings; see below).

Quote:
[6MOD]
defaultV6=0
param1=1
param19=25
param22=100
param29=1
param30=5
param71=0
param72=3

[Default_6.0]
param1=1
param19=82
param22=100
param49=0
param51=3
param52=4
param53=4
param77=1
param78=2

[Default_6.0_MOD]
param1=1
param19=82
param22=100
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #11
xpander

Quote:
If you have multiple installs of Reaper, or multiple installs of the script, or perhaps because you are on a portable install (we have yet to clarify if this matters, it shouldn't), or perhaps because you have been doing things with .ini files, the connection between the script and the reaper-themeconfig.ini can get it wires crossed, and your changes will be written to a file the Reaper install you are using doesn't access.
FWIW, normal portable installs alone haven't had any effect on this on my end. I've used the v6 theme and the script right from when they were first introduced and the only time settings were messed was during one phase where the script was changed. I've updated pretty much all pre-releases and current official version both on top of older Reaper versions and as fresh installs on Win7 and Win10 PCs. Not much help not being able to reproduce, but keeping my eyes on it...
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #12
mccrabney

same issue here. reaper-themeconfig.ini is not changed by the script. non-portable install, all theme script changes revert upon closing/reopening reaper
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #13
mccrabney

going back to 5 default and then back to 6 default fixed this issue.
i had made a custom version of the 6 theme to experimentally tweak some "selected" colors and was using that -- it seems that doing so broke my ability to use the theme script
Old 12-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Yes.
Excellent. And are you getting the 'settings not saving' problem?

Quote:
I changed my theme to Default 5 and worked for a bit. Then i started playing with rebuilding some track templates, being very careful to not import ANYTHING to make sure that I was not breaking things. On a whim, I changed back to Default 6 theme in a clean project while working on the track templates, and i noticed that the theme suddenly looked right... I then checked the timestamp on the .ini file and saw that the timestamp had changed.

Well, this sounds like a fix that has worked for others so that's great, but I join you in the general air of 'WTF?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
hopefully not OT, but how do you reset everything back to default settings? i accidentally changed a parameter in the adjuster for the worse and have no idea what it should be as a default.
Delete your reaper-themeconfig.ini, or open it and delete the bits related to this theme if you've been experimenting with any modded versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
What would be nice (imo) is to be able to use the color palette thing to generate up some new SWS Auto color options and have those stick.
SWS Auto color is a far more sophisticated bit of software than this script, but both fundamentally do the same thing in the end : change the colours of the things that are saved in your project. Its not surprising that they argue with each other! Any form of interoperability would absolutely have to come from the SWS side; trust me when I say that neither you, me or them would want me poking around in their code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
going back to 5 default and then back to 6 default fixed this issue.
i had made a custom version of the 6 theme to experimentally tweak some "selected" colors and was using that -- it seems that doing so broke my ability to use the theme script
So weird.

Please keep reporting in folks. I'm getting pretty confident this is a Reaper thing, not a my script thing, but all data will help in finding the solution whatever it may finally be.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #15
nait

Quote:
SWS Auto color is a far more sophisticated bit of software than this script, but both fundamentally do the same thing in the end : change the colours of the things that are saved in your project. Its not surprising that they argue with each other! Any form of interoperability would absolutely have to come from the SWS side; trust me when I say that neither you, me or them would want me poking around in their code!
OK, thanks for addressing that. I am not a complete noob, by any means, but I didn't know SWS was developed by another group. It makes sense that you wouldn't be able to change anything to make this work nicer.

For coloring tracks using the Theme Adjuster, what's kind of the expected process for this to work well then? I color code tracks manually first, then I use the Theme Adjuster's palette buttons to randomize them to something a little better looking?
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #16
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

My expected use was, if you like, for you minimise the script to a toolbar, then to click on palette cells to apply that colour to selected tracks as the means to do your manual color coding.

The random apply thing is there more as an easy way to browse through how the palettes would look in use. A number if users have said they really enjoy using it to do a 'change of scenery', particularly between the cool and warm palettes, as part of their working day (which is nice) but I freely admit that wasn't part of my thinking in making the functionality.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #17
nait

Ahhhh, OK, thanks for that explanation. That makes sense. When I first opened up the Theme Adjuster, I was actually using it to "change scenery", and I was pretty impressed by that until I noticed my auto coloring and track colors were now on different paths. I'll try what you suggested out and see how that works.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #18
d. gauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
how do you reset everything in the script back to default settings? i accidentally changed a parameter in the adjuster for the worse and have no idea what it should be as a default.

bump as there was no answer.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #19
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Look again, post #14
Old 12-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #20
d. gauss

Quote:
Look again, post #14
thanks, sir.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #21
nightscope

Quote:
Excellent. And are you getting the 'settings not saving' problem?
No. It all seems to work, comes back how I left it.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #22
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Groovy.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #23
mccrabney

i'm wondering if this has something to do with user modifications to the default theme. i had OP issue return after changing tcp_bgsel.png and then adjusting selected track color via the theme tweaker.

a hint not to stray too far off the beaten path?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #24
androo

Quote:

Now please go to "Options > Show Reaper resource path in explorer/finder" to locate your reaper-themeconfig.ini file, and open it. In the section '[Default_6.0]' look for param1=xx. This is the parameter for the Mixer folder indent, we'll use it as the test parameter because its param1. Please note its current value. Then use the script to change the Mixer folder indent, and then reload your reaper-themeconfig.ini. And here's the million dollar question:

If not ...there's the problem Let me know, and we can start tracking it down.

I see the folder indent parameter as param2 and it does change between 5-7 with the script, default theme, ver6.0 rev635c34

good luck, hope it helps, appreciate what you do.
Cheers,
Andrew
androo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #25
tredwel

While I was working on fine tuning my default template I noticed a out of place event causing my default 6.0 theme adjuster settings to reset!.

Try testing this- > set 6.0 theme adjuster folder indent settings in the TCP to a 'NONE' selection. This will be just a visual statement to immediately see the change occur. Next--> open up your appearance settings, select 'show dotted grid lines' and apply. For me, I see the reset happened on my screen instantly. The folder indent to what is the rest setting...

If this was already discussed or is currently a know bug just consider it additional reporting or disregard, thanks!
tredwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #26
SBK

I used to have custom settings for "I-logic Next" theme before I switch to Default 6, I think I might have also tweaked the config file too because I had some older themes before that, and installed many new ones before that and trying more themes etc, exporting - importing configs all the time... so I am not sure about this, but when I load these configurations (I think only this option is the problem)
then the Theme Adjuster loses its settings and can't save. I hope it helps!

Old 12-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #27
mykrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredwel View Post
While I was working on fine tuning my default template I noticed a out of place event causing my default 6.0 theme adjuster settings to reset!.

Try testing this- > set 6.0 theme adjuster folder indent settings in the TCP to a 'NONE' selection. This will be just a visual statement to immediately see the change occur. Next--> open up your appearance settings, select 'show dotted grid lines' and apply. For me, I see the reset happened on my screen instantly. The folder indent to what is the rest setting...

If this was already discussed or is currently a know bug just consider it additional reporting or disregard, thanks!

I noted the same issue in my testing. Seems if I made adjustments in preferences, even things not related to theme/appearance (mouse modifiers, etc), upon clicking apply, the indentation and theme settings would revert.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #28
shawnguess

i'm having the same issue -- changes in the theme editor do not save.

this is a different thing, but why has this looked strange for so long? grouped functions on tracks.
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper rec button.PNG (15.7 KB, 283 views)
shawnguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:42 AM   #29
xpander

If you mean those red marks around the rec arm buttons, they are track grouping indicators. Options/Preferences/Appearance/Track Control Panels, Track grouping indicators.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:37 AM   #30
shawnguess

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
If you mean those red marks around the rec arm buttons, they are track grouping indicators. Options/Preferences/Appearance/Track Control Panels, Track grouping indicators.
I know what they are, I just mean that they're strangely placed and look like a mistake.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #31
xpander

Ah, I didn't quite fathom what's strange, because their placement has moved a little with every default since v2. I gather you mean that they would look more normal, if closer to the rec arm button like in v5?
Old 12-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #32
shawnguess

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Ah, I didn't quite fathom what's strange, because their placement has moved a little with every default since v2. I gather you mean that they would look more normal, if closer to the rec arm button like in v5?
yeah, i thought they were weird in v5 as well. it seems that they should sit nicely just outside the button and not spread out halfway across the track.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #33
rluka

UPDATED POST:
All settings in theTheme Adjuster are saved but when the Theme Tweaker is opened and any thing is checked
(for eq:theme has interlaced meters) then all settings made with the Theme Adjuster are lost. By going back to Options/Themes and clicking on Default puts it back to the savings done with the Theme Adjuster but all the changes made with the Theme Tweaker are lost.

Tried the test from the first post.....

This is was what was in the default themeconfig...no param1=xx was present

[Default_6.0]
param19=25
param22=100
param4=2
param3=6
param12=0
param30=2
param79=2
param2=7

param1=1 was added. The test was performed and there were no changes to param1=xx

[Default_6.0]
param1=1
param19=25
param22=100
param4=2
param3=6
param12=0
param30=2
param79=2
param2=7

This was done on a fresh V6.01 portable install on an external SSD drive. Win10/64 and Win7/64

Ron L

Last edited by rluka; 12-13-2019 at 12:06 AM.
rluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #34
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluka View Post
UPDATED POST:
All settings in theTheme Adjuster are saved but when the Theme Tweaker is opened and any thing is checked
(for eq:theme has interlaced meters) then all settings made with the Theme Adjuster are lost. By going back to Options/Themes and clicking on Default puts it back to the savings done witht the Theme Adjuster but all the changes made with the Theme Tweaker are lost.

This was done on a fresh V6.01 portable install on an external SSD drive. Win10/64 and Win7/64

Ron L
I tested and it is exactly what is happening to me
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:29 AM   #35
mccrabney

confirmed above
Old 12-13-2019, 06:48 AM   #36
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Ah ok, this much is a misunderstanding of the underlying way Reaper looks at things. If you use the theme development tweaker, and you save its changes, that save you just made is a new theme. Unless you named it correctly, the theme adjuster link will now grey out. Reaper will now start making new entries in reaper_themeconfig.ini for changes made in the theme adjuster, from scratch, under your your new theme's name.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #37
mccrabney

yup you're spot on.

despite ultimately making theming a LOT easier for the end user, this new hocus pocus does have some preliminary setup that will raised the heartrate of our more tender users

it'd be clever if theme-scripts could be autocreated for 6.0+ compatible themes.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #38
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
it'd be clever if theme-scripts could be autocreated for 6.0+ compatible themes.
They kind of are, but you have to run the script from the actions menu, it will be greyed-out on the options menu.

See my post in this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=10
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #39
ed78

Default Theme Adjuster Custom Colors Reset

Hope someone can help.

I adjusted color settings inside Theme Adjuster. It did something unexpected by randomly assigning colors to tracks. Well, unexpected to me but surely that is the way it is set up.

I use SWS Auto Color/Icon/Layout since it saves a lot of time if a lead vocal or electric guitar track has the same color without having to set it for each project.

Is there a way whereby I can reset the settings theme adjuster has made. I personally like the V6 theme more than the V5 theme.

I switched to the V5 theme and back to V6 theme in the hope that it will reset the settings but without any luck.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #40
ed78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed78 View Post
Hope someone can help.

I adjusted color settings inside Theme Adjuster. It did something unexpected by randomly assigning colors to tracks. Well, unexpected to me but surely that is the way it is set up.

I use SWS Auto Color/Icon/Layout since it saves a lot of time if a lead vocal or electric guitar track has the same color without having to set it for each project.

Is there a way whereby I can reset the settings theme adjuster has made. I personally like the V6 theme more than the V5 theme.

I switched to the V5 theme and back to V6 theme in the hope that it will reset the settings but without any luck.

Thanks
I found the reset. I changed some colors in the Theme Tweaker with the hope that it will reset the Theme Adjuster and it did.

Which means I won't be able to use the Theme Adjuster for now since I change the FX Browser to a dark background as well as the track lanes and empty arrange area to a darker shade of grey. Much smoother looking and easier on the eyes and it fits better with the beautiful new Reaper 6 theme.

No pressure. I believe all the bugs and compatibility will be sorted out in one of the future updates.

The new theme is awesome by the way. Thanks.