Old 02-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
heller
Human being with feelings

Default Help a Newbie

Would greatly appreciate being pointed to an FAQ, tutorial or a "Getting Started..." doc. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Josh
heller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Hi! No help, or anything really yet. But there is a pdf sticky at the top for some of the key commands.

What background do you have already? If you are new to all of this, and are jumping in to reaper to start, wow! It would be a big source of pride for everyone on the forum to get you up to speed I think.

This app IS or is meant to be simple enough to jump in, just still early in the GUI.

A "getting started" thread, or sticky would be awesome
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
It would be a big source of pride for everyone on the forum to get you up to speed I think.
Definitely, don't hesitate to ask questions. Everyone here seems to be really helpful, and, at the risk of speaking for everyone, we'd be glad to lend a hand.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by heller
Would greatly appreciate being pointed to an FAQ, tutorial or a "Getting Started..." doc. Can someone point me in the right direction?
The Quick Start Guide is 2-3 weeks away. Feel free to ask questions in the meantime.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
The Quick Start Guide is 2-3 weeks away.
Cool! If You need a hand with the guide, let me know. I'm pretty good with literature and such, particularly editing.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
heller

Default Thanks for the Help

Dear All,

Thanks for the many kind offers of help. I've been playing guitar for several years, but have never recorded using computer equipment. I'll look forward to the quickstart guide, but in the meantime, if someone can tell me how to basically configure the reaper software (and any Win XP settings?) to properly record electric guitar through the mic or line in jack, I would greatly appreciate it. We can talk about effects later.
:-)

Thank you,

Josh
Old 02-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
fluffy

What soundcard are You using?
Old 02-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
heller

Default Soundcard

My soundcard is a Realtek AC'97 based card builtin to my AMD 2.2Ghz based motherboard.

Josh
Old 02-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I cant find anyone confirming that ASIO4All will work with this realtek ac97 thing, does anyone know if its full duplex?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
fluffy

If You're saying that You want to plug Your guitar in DIRECTLY to Your computer and record it dry, and add effects later, you'll need to get an ASIO wrapper to get low enough latency to work with. Try this one:

http://www.asio4all.com/

The link is in the middle of the page. It will allow low latency direct monitoring. After it's installed and set up, open REAPER and hit ctrl+p to open the "Preferences" dialog. Go to "Audio Device" and select "ASIO" in the "Audio System" menu. Your almost there.

Close the "Preferrences" dialog, and hit ctrl+t to add a new track. Click on the little red circle to record arm the track. Click the green peak meter and choose "Mono Input" then whichever input your guitar is plugged into. Now click on the little speaker to the left of the button that says "Rec In" turn enable input monitoring. You should hear Your guitar playing.

You may have to adjust the latency in Asio4all to get as small a delay as possible. Too small and the sound will break up, too high and the delay will be too much to work with.

If You're going to mic up, or use a Pod or something, then don't need to worry about the ASIO stuff. Just use Kernel Streaming or Direct Sound or Wave Out or whatever works. If one doesn't work it should throw up a little dialog box telling You so.

Hope this helps at all! Hope I was reasonably clear. It's really a lot easier than it sounds, and once You have it set up, You can just open REAPER, add a track, and go!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
fluffy

One of my computers have Realtek onboard (I keep it turned off), and if I remember correctly, it is full duplex. I'll turn it on and report back.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
fluffy

Yep, mine is full duplex.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Generally ASIO4all works good on integrated sound stuff, at least for me.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #14
heller

Thanks for the informative postings.Fluffy, I will try ASIO4ALL and follow your recording instructions - THANKS. I look forward to having some fun.

Josh