Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-08-2020, 10:56 PM   #1
fredmatthew25
Human being with feelings

Default Help! Reaper is only recording about .7 seconds then stops

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for checking this -

I have used REAPER for some years and never had this problem and can't figure out what I did. I redownloaded REAPER and it is still an issue making me think it is in project settings. I can't find what it is though.

Additionally, I have difficulty getting out of a very narrow view of the session view area. It only shows like half a bar and the scrolling seems weird to me too - like I can't zoom in and out with the roller of the mouse like before. I seem stuck on a small piece of the timeline unless I really fanagle my way out of there.

When I hit record, it records for about .723 or so seconds and then stops and gives me the option to save / delete my recorded media.

When I opened an older project it worked ( I was able to record more than .723 seconds), however most projects I can't even open - not even my main project template (which does have Native Instruments MK3 and Komplete Kontrol plugins as part of the track template - seems to be having trouble loading maschine at least when it is loading.)

I'm sure in the new offering of settings I did something crazy that impacted these areas...

Any help greatly appreciated.

-Fred
fredmatthew25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:46 AM   #2
Geoff-h3o

Default Good place to start:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=23297
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
fredmatthew25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff-h3o View Post
Thank you Geoff - Appreciate the link --

In addition to not being able to record for more than microseconds of a bar, I also am not able to insert a media item and have it play for more than just a few milliseconds. It is very strange.

THANKFULLY - I am able to open (SOME) older REAPER projects where I was only using a guitar and a microphone and those projects load fine and I can hit record / play / insert media item normally.

Now however I am at a loss.

I WILL TRY OPENING UP ONE OF THOSE OLD PROJECTS THAT IS WORKING AND CLEAR OUT THE MEDIA AND SET IT AS A DEFAULT TEMPLATE and see if that works.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
JamesPeters

You also haven't mentioned any of your settings at all. Anyone trying to help you troubleshoot at this point would just be taking stabs in the dark. I guess you can try a portable version of Reaper separate from your other one and see if it works there. That's a starting point anyway.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
fredmatthew25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
You also haven't mentioned any of your settings at all. Anyone trying to help you troubleshoot at this point would just be taking stabs in the dark. I guess you can try a portable version of Reaper separate from your other one and see if it works there. That's a starting point anyway.
Hi James,

Yes, I was hoping that someone would be able to identify what setting might have been altered. There are so many!

I finally had success by returning to an older project and deleting the media and saving as my default setting.

I've identified that the issue must have something to do with Maschine. I was using Maschine in Reaper as VST and now that I have REAPER up and running (whew!) as normal again I can not load an instance of Native Instruments Maschine. I was working with loops from there and was zooming in pretty deep on some media items and must have hit a setting within it that communicated with REAPER in such a way as I'm not even sure what setting was altered. (I still do not).

Going to check the Forums to see if anyone else has had problems with loading Maschine / Komplete Kontrol.

(As a side-note for anyone who reads, I did formerly use Native Instruments Maschine and Komplete Kontrol as separate plugins (the Maschine obviously controlling the Maschine VST plugin and the keyboard controlling the Komplete Kontrol Plugin. I believe Native Instruments updated the integration between the two and now am having issues opening in REAPER (As Standalone in Maschine the two are tightly integrated and both recognized by Maschine. Until I figure it out will just run Maschine and then import the media files into REAPER and then work from there.

Thank you everybody.

-Fred
Old 01-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
JamesPeters

When there aren't any other recent threads with people mentioning the specific symptom/problem you're experiencing, it's best to provide more details about your setup. It seems you have it narrowed down somewhat now. If I used any NI stuff I might be able to help, but I don't, so I'll wish you good luck!
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote