Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

Default RADIO PRODUCTION - Advice on running FILM/RADIO/TV SOUND FX WORKSHOPS for teens?

People

I'm a freelance small-time music producer working largely in schools and community settings in South Wales, doing music tech and mobile recording with young people (Reaper is my weapon of choice).

I also work with an arts charity for the visually impaired. Through them I got into guerilla radio drama production, and have recorded and produced a soap opera for their young people, complete with music, foley/library fx, ambience effects and all that. It's pretty much broadcast quality if I do say so myself!

I have another job for another client coming up which is relevant to this, but I'm scratching my head over it a bit. I'm being asked to provide 10 x 3hr taster workshops for groups of young people, aged 11-19, who are NEET (Not in Education or Training). Different group for each 3hr sesh. The subject of the workshops is basically Sound FX for TV, Film and Radio.

So I have to turn up with my laptop, mics and recording equipment and somehow engage young people with limited attention spans in what could be potentially a bit of a dry subject if not handled correctly. I need to make it a bit dynamic and engaging and fun if possible.

Basically I'm fishing for ideas on activities to get the kids doing, and keep them vaguely interested for 3 hours! I'm broadening the scope to 'sound manipulation' in general. I have some ideas and pretty good know-how already, but I could really use some brainstorming on this, so I'm asking any kind souls who have any relevant experience or ideas to help me with the chin-scratching process!

I'll talk about my initial ideas later, but I'd like to invite some responses first, even if it's just handy links, other forums, resources etc. I do have a decent sized library of Film/TV sound FX already.

OK! Enough waffling. Any thoughts folks?
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
teledork
Human being with feelings

What about playing them some snippets of classic radio plays (1939 Orson Welles War of the Worlds, Suspense "Sorry Wrong Number", etc) and then see if they can recreate the snippets using what they have at hand...acting as well as technical stuff?