Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
dwanehollands
Human being with feelings

Default R4 Switching Midi tracks while editing multiple tracks in one editor

sorry for the epic title.

ok I finally discovered the option in reaper 3 where you can select multiple midi tracks and open them in one editor to get a better birds eye view when orchestrating divisi lines etc.

beautifully flexible!

If I want to select all the cellos and write the parts for them as a group I can. Violas and Cellos. Great stuff. Only select the tracks I want to edit/write together. Brilliant.

created my first keyboard shortcut for it too. just select the tracks and punch O! love it!

But since upgrading to v4.01 I had trouble finding the option. I think its name different. Anyway I think I found the option and remapped it to my keyboard shortcut. I think its the same.

but what Ive been having real difficulty with is while editing multiple midi tracks in one editor, I cant seem to change the focus to be on a different midi track than the initial one. I would normally click on the grayed out notes - meaning they are not the currently focused track - and it would change to that track and I could add/edit/delete notes.

I've tried what I think is every possible setting to get it to work, but I cant get it to change. It initially would work if I double clicked it, but thats not working now.

please help! driving me nuts. lol.
dwanehollands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
dwanehollands

oh, another thing.

is there a way to tab between the selected midi tracks focus in the one editor? Often times lines are identical so selecting the other midi track is impossible since they are all stacked on top of each other. i have to exit the one editor (to rule them all and in the darkness bind them....I digress) and into the individual track to edit it by itself.

I think its uneccesary to go back. If I could tab between the selected with a shift-tab it would be great. also if there was a drop down menu to select the names of the selected items so I could focus directly on a particular track, that would be great.

How does the feature request work, voting and all that. sorry never looked into it.

thanks for any help!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanehollands View Post
but what Ive been having real difficulty with is while editing multiple midi tracks in one editor, I cant seem to change the focus to be on a different midi track than the initial one. I would normally click on the grayed out notes - meaning they are not the currently focused track - and it would change to that track and I could add/edit/delete notes.

I've tried what I think is every possible setting to get it to work, but I cant get it to change. It initially would work if I double clicked it, but thats not working now.

please help! driving me nuts. lol.
Yes, they changed it to double-clicking by default I think because users complained single-click was to easy to unintentionally switch.

Why double-clicking first worked fine for you and now it doesn't is beyond me though, sorry.
Works fine here last time I checked.

But until you get that (hopefully) sorted, you can also switch active items via the Midi filter or via the Midi action "display editor contents menu at mouse position" (I like that one, I have set a key command for it)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
dwanehollands

Hi Nofish!

Thanks very much for your response!

I've not previously looked at the filter very much. I didn't realise that below it there are the tracks/midi regions. If I switch off the filter, I can just see them and click to go to them.

I will look at that "display editor contents menu" option and I might find I will map that to a key aswell.

The great thing about the filter is I can solo and mute tracks from it. Which is great. That was another feature I thought would be great since sometimes I want to hear just this track solo'd while editing it.

SO great news!

I will now fade back into the blackness as a lurker...
<waves hand> these are not the droids you are looking for...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Eyes

To view multiple midi items in V4 select the clips you want to view then double click one of them, it will open all selected clips. There are also view options available in preferecnes.

It was chagned to double click for users who have single note insert - so you can draw notes over notes in a different clip persa. While double click isn't ideal, the filter is faster and still being improced (hopefully).

From memory there is an option for double click though, so if that is disabled it could cause issues.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
dwanehollands

been using the filter this afternoon.

pretty good. Im liking it.

Dbl click not working, but i'm using the filter now instead. discovered that F on keyboard brings that up. which is nice and quick.

solo and mute on filter window is useful too! I'm set, dont need click anymore I think.

With clicking before it was impossible to change midi region if all the notes overlapped, so using filter is superior. also shows me instantly what midi regions/tracks im editing.

im sorted. thanks team reaper!