Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-04-2019, 06:46 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Last Windows 7 machine retires

Yesterday I got a wild hair and installed Xubuntu on my last Windows 7 machine that serves as a media center in my living room.

I was able to duplicate every function that the Windows 7 was performing, which is acting as a Kodi client for MythTV, storing and making available via remote control all pictures, videos, and music. My original plan was to replace that machine with a Raspberry Pi I have setup with Kodi, but it's working so well I may just leave it like it is.

The only Microsoft Windows remaining in the house now is Windows 8.1 on two tablet type devices. The other five machines are all running Linux now. When Windows 8's expire date nears, I'll delve into converting the two tablets, but I've got until January of 2023 when Windows 8.1 extended support ends to deal with that.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #2
JamesPeters

Nice. On the same day I got my Ryzen 3700X system running. It's about 6x as powerful as my previous i3 6300 system, as for how it performs in Reaper with my test project.

I tried Xubuntu and I was little put off by some software not being in the repo, plus how much I would have to configure it to be the way I wanted. I could have made it work but I just decided to go back to Mint XFCE anyway.

Now I just have to configure some things. There is some weirdness with the Nvidia driver, which was happening on my previous setup as well. Sometimes when I boot the resolution is wrong, sometimes it's a black screen with a mouse cursor and I have to use a shortcut to log out and log back in again to fix it. Also I want to change the fan profile, possibly stop the CPU from going turbo as well because when it does that the fan suddenly spins up really fast. I want the system to be relatively quiet.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
SmajjL

Ohh thank gawd i'm not the only one who has distro hopped..
Mint (Ubuntu) have straight up support for Nvidia for sure, not the latest but hey!

Debian, ohh maaan, no luck with that, but i've found this tut that looks promesing should I try it sometime.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5M8tJbANLk maby you need that right now?

Manjaro has most stuff or I can use archalien if ness.. still on Manjaro even today, can you believe it?

I have one problem left, since I don't have a hardware mixer or anything else with an EQ (yet!) and I miss the EQ from Total FX that I can forget about on Linux, any suggestions? even if it will go, get an hardware EQ dude..

That's it, after that i'll join the Glennbo's club.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
JamesPeters

That's one of the things I'm trying to avoid with my choice of distro. The less of that, the better. I can do it (now that I have a bit more experience with Linux), but it would be annoying to me when I know other distros don't make me go through the hassle.

Likewise I could have made Xubuntu work for me just fine. I would have had to find some alternative applications in the repo, or find some other source for them. And I want to spend a little bit more time customizing the way it looked. That's about it though.

I only use EQ in the DAW. You can set up an EQ in a monitoring chain in Reaper, or as input fx. Plus there are enough EQs that run in real time. If you're looking for an EQ that you use for your entire system, there might be some sort of EQ software that does that. I imagine if you run everything through Jack it would be easy enough to assign an EQ somewhere in the chain.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Nice. On the same day I got my Ryzen 3700X system running. It's about 6x as powerful as my previous i3 6300 system, as for how it performs in Reaper with my test project.

I tried Xubuntu and I was little put off by some software not being in the repo, plus how much I would have to configure it to be the way I wanted. I could have made it work but I just decided to go back to Mint XFCE anyway.

Now I just have to configure some things. There is some weirdness with the Nvidia driver, which was happening on my previous setup as well. Sometimes when I boot the resolution is wrong, sometimes it's a black screen with a mouse cursor and I have to use a shortcut to log out and log back in again to fix it. Also I want to change the fan profile, possibly stop the CPU from going turbo as well because when it does that the fan suddenly spins up really fast. I want the system to be relatively quiet.
I plan to get a Ryzen 3700X when they stop gouging on the price. They are still in short enough supply that everybody is charging at least $100 over MSRP, and I don't really have to have a new DAW, coz it's not like I'm having problems with it.

Glad to hear what kind of boost you are seeing, because I'd be moving from a ten year old i5, which should be a similar boost.

As for Xubuntu, I've got a system down now and when I switched that last Windows 7 box yesterday, the moment it rebooted I did an apt-get install synaptic, followed by the installation of a handful of things I need on most of my machines. I was done with it in about an hour and it's finished for good now, since it is just serving as a remote controlled media center in the living room.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
SmajjL

Yep, I agree believe it or not and I will know all my needs better with li'll time and be better at manage everything myself, right now, I have stuff to learn including how to make PulseEffects real time, maby use JACK/Cadence again yeah.. just slapping on a real-time kernel is not enough, ALSA is very real'time'ish though, but PulseEffects is set for pulse.. hmm, see, this is where i'm at.

Actually, I just did EQ tests on the master FX (Shift click) thingie and it feels so weak of energy and easy to distort and mess up the signal, even if I lower the volume of the EQ it does not feel the same as the Total FX one where I could fill up my face with bas without any problem, hope I am the moron in this case heh. it is only for playback I need though and real-time.
The way EQ is now, it's like tweaking a weak fart.. impossible!

You seem to do Ok so, it must be me.

I will give Mint a visit, schhhh.

Thanks for the help! i'm on it!

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-04-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Glennbo

One thing about an EQ on the master is, I always try to use a mixture of cutting and boosting so that the effect on overall volume is fairly neutral. In general, it is better to cut than to boost because you can too easily overdrive the input of the next thing in the chain. Especially if you are boosting bass. When I boost bass, I usually will also do a high pass filter in the EQ to totally lop off stuff below 40Hz.

Edit: this is from a project I'm messing with now and I'm rolling the bass totally off at 35Hz with a lowpass filter in the EQ. Note that I'm also ducking the output of ReaEQ by 6db over on the slider at the right which itself is being cut off by REAPER's new BIGGER graphic scaling.

Last edited by Glennbo; 09-21-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Glad to hear what kind of boost you are seeing, because I'd be moving from a ten year old i5, which should be a similar boost.
Now that I've turned off "core boost", it's performing around 3.5x better in Reaper than my previous system (which is more what I'd expected when reading the test results shown on sites like cpu.userbenchmark.com). To be fair earlier I was exaggerating when I said it was 6x better. It was more like 5x better...but man, did the CPU fan go nuts.

Now the system is about as noisy as my last system, which is fairly quiet. I have to add cork sheet to the inner walls of the case yet, which should quiet it down a bit more. I don't buy expensive noise-reducing cases; I just get the cheap ones and add a lining of 3/16" thick cork sheet with contact cement. I think it works better actually. It's still a small difference but at least in this situation I'm only paying a few dollars for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
... I did an apt-get install synaptic,
Yeah lol that's the first thing that surprised me. Ok here's the software manager...um...that's it? Where's Synaptic...really, it's not there?

Plus the overall display was kind of wonky in Xubuntu at first: fonts, sharpness, etc.--I had to start messing around. In Mint XFCE it was almost perfect for me right away (and then I change fonts just because I'm really picky, not because they look weird). It could be how it's reading my hardware so I'm not saying Xubuntu is bad. But when you have this kind of choice (of distros) and they're all good, it's easy to just pick the next one.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
SmajjL

yo! glennbo!
When I listen to any song right? as a civilian without EQ it is waAay to flat and bas-thin (boring) so I always have an EQ to just boost the bas, nothing else fancy.

So, i'm used to that and used to how I want my own stuff to sound like with other artists as a reference, with, the EQ ON and have no problem with boosting the heck out the bas with Total FX and still, can even boost in REAPER, not the case atm but I read yah, still have stuff to try overhere .

That said, if I should have no EQ at all and get used to that and that is the way it should be done (recommended maby) that's another story.

I'll pick up something HW with an EQ if all fails, my Linux enthusiasm is Reapeeking.

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-04-2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: :D
Old 09-11-2019, 02:46 AM   #10
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
hope I am the moron in this case heh.

Good news buddy! you were
Get used to set REAPER's default fader to -10 or something instead, put something on every track to force it if you don't like it, anything lower everything and give headroom for the master EQ and try now comparing the same'ish setting Vs Total FX with ReaEQ and for fun, try a few more, pick one and you tell me if that is not close enough for your needs.

Slap!