Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-23-2024, 04:13 AM   #1
jonnydgr
Human being with feelings

Default DAFT QUESTION ABOUT EXPORTING?

Hi folks, I am in the process of exporting a track to send to be mixed and mastered.

My approach had been to export mostly 'as stems'.

So as an example, I have 4 guitar parts, and want them dealt with separately by the mixer, so I select them and export as stems.

Then if I have various samples dotted throughout the song on different tracks, I solo those tracks and export via 'master' because the mixing guy needs all the bits on one track.

I've noticed though that exporting stems is much quicker, and perhaps the sound quality is not as good. So am I doing something wrong? Does every track (or comp of tracks like the sample example) need to be exported as 'master'?

It feels quite fiddly, so is there a smarter way to do it?

Many thanks
jonnydgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 04:49 AM   #2
smandrap

Exporting stems can render in parallel, meaning multiple tracks at once at the same time.

Exporting tracks via master... well exports tracks via master, meaning that the signal passes through the master track and its inserts/fader etc.

If the master track has no inserts/volume changes and the tracks you're exporting have no send to any other track, then the result is the same, only slower because it cannot take advantage of parallel rendering.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:56 AM   #3
jonnydgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by smandrap View Post

If the master track has no inserts/volume changes and the tracks you're exporting have no send to any other track.
Looks like the master is turned down a bit, so that would mean the stems will sound louder?
Old 02-23-2024, 04:58 AM   #4
smandrap

yup, unless you export selected tracks via master
Old 02-23-2024, 06:49 AM   #5
jonnydgr

Default >

What's best practice for exporting out for a professional to mix? If there's nothing on the master.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:36 PM   #6
serr

Not a daft question at all!

Stems means all tracks starting at the same start point.
(So an overdub in the middle would start with blank audio at the start point, for example.)

Rendering 'selected stems' to a time selection will do that conveniently.

Normally in a studio setting the master stays at unity/zero. It isn't any standard procedure to put fx on the master bus but some people do. Some people even mix into compressors! That blurs the line a little for making mix stems but... whatever, it's being remixed anyway!

"Mix stems" means the post fader signal from the tracks with the production baked in. So putting up the mix stems at unity recreates the mix.

"Raw stems" (or just "stems") means the raw pre fader tracks as recorded. So it can be mixed from the ground up.

Deliver both mix and raw stems to the mix engineer if you want them to have all options in front of them. If you have some production element dialed up that you want to keep and not let anyone change, only give them the mix stem for that track. You will typically be asked for raw stems.

If you're mixing into a compressor for that kind of effect you really can't deliver mix stems that recreate the same mix. The tracks run through it separately will add up very differently. Again though, it's getting remixed! So that's kind of a moot point.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:24 AM   #7
jonnydgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
If you have some production element dialed up that you want to keep and not let anyone change, only give them the mix stem for that track.
Great thanks. I think this is what I need to send.

He is also asking for some stems to be combined because, as mentioned above, I have, say, 6 separate tracks each just with a couple of one-shot samples dotted about. Makes sense to smush them into one track, and provided they don't play at the same time as one another, the mixer can still treat them individually.

With that in mind, to export those, do I essentially solo those together and create a single 'master' render to combine them into one?
Old 03-04-2024, 05:36 AM   #8
jonnydgr

Bumping just in case anyone has further newbie advice on this