Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default M4 Messenger - God Candy (unofficial release)

This is going live within the next week. It's as finished as it's going to be (other than some potential last minute adjustment which is doubtful) so I'm posting the pre-release here. Be aware there is a LOT going on sonically; it's a part of what this band is, and by design for better or for worse. Original thread is here and if anyone has any questions on the recording/mixing process that lead up to completion, happy to answer.

CDs and iTunes, Spotify etc. will go live in the next couple of weeks but I built an auto player for reaperites only for easy playback. Since this is pre-release, I'd like to keep it within the forum if possible. Like I mentioned there's a lot of stuff tucked away in various places making it impossible to absorb everything in a single listen, and is meant to grow on the listener with time - this ain't jazz, that's for sure.

http://www.m4messenger.com/ReaperRelease.html

Now off to the next project, it's going to be a six tune EP, 12-13 is just too damn many to keep up with.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
This is going live within the next week. It's as finished as it's going to be (other than some potential last minute adjustment which is doubtful) so I'm posting the pre-release here. Be aware there is a LOT going on sonically; it's a part of what this band is, and by design for better or for worse. Original thread is here and if anyone has any questions on the recording/mixing process that lead up to completion, happy to answer.

CDs and iTunes, Spotify etc. will go live in the next couple of weeks but I built an auto player for reaperites only for easy playback. Since this is pre-release, I'd like to keep it within the forum if possible. Like I mentioned there's a lot of stuff tucked away in various places making it impossible to absorb everything in a single listen, and is meant to grow on the listener with time - this ain't jazz, that's for sure.

http://www.m4messenger.com/ReaperRelease.html

Now off to the next project, it's going to be a six tune EP, 12-13 is just too damn many to keep up with.
Cool stuff. Especially liked some of the grooves in Downtime.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Lawrence

Nice man. Not really my genre but I appreciate the approach and it sounds like a band (as opposed to a one man band) and it's not squashed all to heck.

Best of luck to you.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
RDBOIS
Banned

Good job. Sounds balanced on my end with plenty of ear candy - was listening with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Studio Headphones.

I really like the sound of the acoustic guitar on SHADOW

I KNOW I'M RIGHT brought back some childhood trauma

Still not sure what WELCOME is about hehehe

Like the psychedelic feel to SPOTLIGHT

The vocals on I CAN SEE almost feel like a different singer. I liked it - has a sort of R.Plant emotion/vibe (not the LedZep day, but more modern Plant).

Good album with lots of variations. Just a question of person taste, but I'm not sure I would of chosen Face Deface as the first song for the album. Why? Well, because when you're new to your band's music - and don't know anything about the music - Face Deface sort of tells you: "this is going to be some sort of rock with pop undertones" -- which turns out is not really the case. Me no like pop in rock. But, what the heck to I know - I'm bias to the psychedelic harder and weirder stuff... lol
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Cool stuff. Especially liked some of the grooves in Downtime.
Thanks Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Nice man. Not really my genre but I appreciate the approach and it sounds like a band (as opposed to a one man band) and it's not squashed all to heck.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks brother. Safe to say no delusions of grandeur or expectation that it will be anything at all other than an excuse to gig and to share. With over 250 years of combined existence, we're just happy coming up with sounds and recording them and spreading them around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Good job. Sounds balanced on my end with plenty of ear candy - was listening with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Studio Headphones.
Though it wasn't mixed on headphones, a lot of decisions were made with headphones in mind. There is surely stuff there that will likely not be noticed without them.

Quote:
I really like the sound of the acoustic guitar on SHADOW
It doesn't have an acoustic, maybe nothing's forever?

Quote:
I KNOW I'M RIGHT brought back some childhood trauma
It was discussed internally for a while, we decided to leave it in as a message to those who've not actually experienced such things. It's part of the storyline and we felt it mattered even if uncomfortable.

Quote:
Still not sure what WELCOME is about hehehe
It actually goes with All Made Up (it's a seamless transition on the CD). That bed underneath is the breakdown of AMU stretched way out using Xenakios' plugin that is a GUI for PaulStretch. You are basically sitting in hell's waiting room, then you get to see a band that starts off dry/mono and vaguely mowtown'ish then ends up stereo, wet, heavy arena rock'ish.

Quote:
The vocals on I CAN SEE almost feel like a different singer. I liked it - has a sort of R.Plant emotion/vibe (not the LedZep day, but more modern Plant).
There are three singers in the band. He sings 2.5 other songs.

Quote:
Good album with lots of variations. Just a question of person taste, but I'm not sure I would of put Face Deface as the first song for the album. Why? Well, because when you're new to your bands music - and don't know anything about the music - Face Deface sort of tell you: "this is going to be some sort of rock with pop undertones" -- which turns out is not really the case. But, what the heck to I know - I'm bias to the psychedelic harder and weirder stuff... lol
Makes sense, it was mostly to kick things off with some momentum. All made up almost made the cut but with welcome as the intro, we swapped so the intro wouldn't be first. And, it's a good opener live.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-07-2018 at 08:42 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #6
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

When Face Deface started playing I was expecting a detuned cover of Constipated Duck by Jeff Beck. LOL Sounds good so far but I haven't scratched the surface yet.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:46 AM   #7
Lawrence

Quote:
Thanks brother. Safe to say no delusions of grandeur or expectation that it will be anything at all other than an excuse to gig and to share. With over 250 years of combined existence, we're just happy coming up with sounds and recording them and spreading them around.
For sure. You guys are - musicians - so at some point all of the nonsensical irrelevant tech stuff has to be pushed aside to just make some damn music, or what's the point?

I like it. Even though the genre is not what I commonly listen to I can hear the effort that went into it and I can feel the joy in it. Good stuff.

But yeah, making music is not a contest, it's an exercise in pleasing oneself by putting your musical vision "on the record" as it were. Sounds like you guys did that.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I like it. Even though the genre is not what I commonly listen to I can hear the effort that went into it and I can feel the joy in it. Good stuff.
Great my friend, as Lawrence says, your effort stands out, everything is very tight and performed very well.

I think my favorite is "Shadow", it has some jazz fusion qualities to it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
msundh

Great work. The mix sounds perfect to me.
Really good songs and great vocals.
is it you singing? Like the tone, quite commercial voice.
I hear some Genesis, some early 80's pop.
Good luck with your release.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
G-Sun

Sounds great

Face Deface: Kick is a little loud on my headphones (not gelling with mix)

All made up: Bassound is very cool.
Nice singing Rather dry > some fx/distortion? (verse)
Nice chorus, and b.vox
Sonically the busier parts work better for me. Fells like I miss some polish/reverb/hardware-gel on the sparser parts.

Well done! Great work
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Great my friend, as Lawrence says, your effort stands out, everything is very tight and performed very well.

I think my favorite is "Shadow", it has some jazz fusion qualities to it.
Thanks Tod, I need a break from it, I'm sick of it right now LOL. I like Shadow too, if memory serves the guy singing had the words and just the Gm7 and Cadd9 with a George Harrison vibe on acoustic then we added the reset as a band. I added the modulation to Em for the bridge/breakdown just so we had a somewhat non-standard change there because the Gm/Cadd9 was going to get boring by itself and wanted to send it to "another world" for the bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Great work. The mix sounds perfect to me.
Really good songs and great vocals.
is it you singing? Like the tone, quite commercial voice.
Good luck with your release.
There are three writers/singers. I only sing lv on all made up, I know i'm right and nothings forever since those were songs I brought to the table. The guy who sings Face is also a musican who became a singer out of necessity like me, but he's got about five years jump on me, that ba$tard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Sounds great

Face Deface: Kick is a little loud on my headphones (not gelling with mix)
You nailed it Gier (I hope I remembered name right but probably didn't). You are the only person (of those whom I had review over the last few weeks) who caught something I was aware of. Since your wording matches exactly what I thought, I'll probably give it a small tweak before I upload to the masses.
Quote:

All made up: Bassound is very cool.
Nice singing Rather dry > some fx/distortion? (verse)

Sonically the busier parts work better for me. Fells like I miss some polish/reverb/hardware-gel on the sparser parts.
It was a bit of an experiment, if you listen closely it is about 100% dry and 100% mono in the beginning, it goes stereo in the first chorus and gets wetter bigger as it progresses through the song. Can't say I have any genius reason for that other than the desire of a journey from one extreme to the other over the life of the song. We sort of call the beginning the Motown section, not per song style per say but sonically we wanted to go from a motownish simplistic, barebones sound to arena at the end. Purely experimentation for experimentation's sake.

Thanks for listening.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #12
endorka

Listening right now and really enjoying it, especially the hint of psychedelic rock influences, hooks and layers. Lovely playing, sounds, recording and mix.

I agree with Geir that the kick is too loud in Face Deface. The kick to snare volume ratio seems too high.

Ah... an instrumental hook in the middle of God Candy just went from the right speaker to centre. Nice!

Great intro to Nothing's Forever. When the vocal comes in, it has "height" over the guitars. I like a lot.

I know it's not your priority but it also sounds top notch in mono on my Avantone mixcube.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Last edited by endorka; 03-11-2018 at 01:42 PM.
endorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:10 AM   #13
karbomusic

Thanks for listening Jennifer. There is likely a lot of those little pan or other things going on in different places but many may not be as noticeable without headphones.

If the one you mentioned is the one I think it is, I panned center to get it out of the way of the guitar that comes in on the far right. Glad it doesn't sound like a hack.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #14
soundchaser59

I think the opening track is just right, kick and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
I hear several influences here, even some hints of Rush or Head East, I dare say some Monkees and Byrds and Jefferson Airplane, there may be others I am reminded of when I listen.
Quote:
Though it wasn't mixed on headphones, a lot of decisions were made with headphones in mind. There is surely stuff there that will likely not be noticed without them.
If that's true then maybe it just means it isn't turned up LOUD ENOUGH!
Quote:
It was discussed internally for a while, we decided to leave it in as a message to those who've not actually experienced such things. It's part of the storyline and we felt it mattered even if uncomfortable.
I believe in hard hitting messages that serve a constructive purpose.

Quote:
You are basically sitting in hell's waiting room......
LOL! That's the opposite of the interpretation I had! In the ear of the beholder I suppose, ayyy?

All superb and well crafted! Thanks for sharing all of it.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:09 AM   #15
G-Sun

Quote:
You nailed it Gier (I hope I remembered name right but probably didn't). You are the only person (of those whom I had review over the last few weeks) who caught something I was aware of. Since your wording matches exactly what I thought, I'll probably give it a small tweak before I upload to the masses.
Glad you found my comment useful

- Geir
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #16
kgarello

Wow.. Sounds great Karbo.

Familiar yet fresh.

November reminds me of James Gang or solo Joe Walsh

Great Job!

Ken
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #17
jonboper

Very clean mixes, everything has its place and all the parts are working together. I find myself really liking the strange little moments, and probably would like them even more over time - the interlude or skit or however you think of it ('Welcome') being a prime example.

Thematically I'm loving this...as a child evangelical...'All Made Up'. Here, here. Fuck childhood indoctrination.
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboper View Post
Very clean mixes, everything has its place and all the parts are working together. I find myself really liking the strange little moments, and probably would like them even more over time - the interlude or skit or however you think of it ('Welcome') being a prime example.
Well thank you. There is a bit of "will take multiple listens to get everything" by design there. That sound bed in Welcome is actually the breakdown of All Made Up slowed down by a factor of 6 or so - you can tell if you listen closely. The somewhat disorienting and/or confusing duality of am I in heaven or hell's waiting room was the idea.

Quote:
Thematically I'm loving this...as a child evangelical...'All Made Up'. Here, here. Fuck childhood indoctrination.
Yea, similar upbringing hence the tune and based on a true story.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-22-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #19
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarello View Post
Wow.. Sounds great Karbo.
Thank you Ken! Thanks to you guys for listening, much appreciated.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-22-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
karbomusic

Default Finally!

1000 CDs just hit my door step so I can officially call this release DONE! I updated the player in the first post to reflect the actual CD bits (there were some small changes since then).

It'll be another week or so before hitting iTunes et al and no, not expecting any sales here (hence the player in post 1 for reaperites), just sharing the completion of the project.

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/m4messenger1

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-02-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #21
Judders

Hey man, I haven't commented yet because I'm still working my way through it one track at a time because I want to actually listen to it and not get distracted. Sounds great!

I'm hitting them in random order but I just listened to the title track and it's my favourite so far. Really cool sense of depth and space in there and just the kind of synth sounds I like.

Are you guys gigging this stuff?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post

Are you guys gigging this stuff?
Yes. We are a little behind schedule and wanted to wait till the CDs arrived before booking gigs. I'm itching to gig at all since we haven't gigged since we began this project last summer. Thing is, these tunes are old to me/us, but happy to support them live - still though, really want to get on the next set of tunes.

We were already gigging some of these before we started the project.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #23
Judders

Quote:
Yes. We are a little behind schedule and wanted to wait till the CDs arrived before booking gigs. I'm itching to gig at all since we haven't gigged since we began this project last summer. Thing is, these tunes are old to me/us, but happy to support them live - still though, really want to get on the next set of tunes.

We were already gigging some of these before we started the project.
Sweet. Any plans to record live versions?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Sweet. Any plans to record live versions?
Not a bad idea, might consider that, just depends on the venue aka how well I can work some of my gear into getting a live mix.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #25
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Not a bad idea, might consider that, just depends on the venue aka how well I can work some of my gear into getting a live mix.
Hi ...

Just bought this one on CDBaby yesterday .

As an owner of a new Canon printer I'd be keen to have the full artwork for the CD-Package instead of the plain front cover ... Possible ?

/ zERGEi w .
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne72 View Post
Hi ...

Just bought this one on CDBaby yesterday .

As an owner of a new Canon printer I'd be keen to have the full artwork for the CD-Package instead of the plain front cover ... Possible ?

/ zERGEi w .
Thank you!

No problem, I'll PM you a link for full artwork but it may be this evening before I can get it created. Is there a format you prefer? PNG, JPEG, PDF? I ask because the CD contains an 8-page booklet as well as the normal artwork. PDF might be best but wanted to ask.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #27
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Thank you!

No problem, I'll PM you a link for full artwork but it may be this evening before I can get it created. Is there a format you prefer? PNG, JPEG, PDF?
Hi ... Thanks !!!

Anything Goes (for the format) (((:

/ zW .
Old 05-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #28
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne72 View Post
Hi ... Thanks !!!

Anything Goes (for the format) (((:

/ zW .
My pleasure, I'll PM it out this evening once I get it created. Thanks again!

Also, CDBaby's original extraction of my DDP had a mistake (I just learned this) - Track 4 (Downtime) is chopped off at the very end by 1 second and that shows up on Track 5. You'll know that's the issue if track 5 (God Candy) has a "bawoom" at the very beginning before the bass guitar comes in. This is not on the physical CD. If that is the case you can re-download when they fix it (should be in the next day or so), or I'll send you direct MP3s ripped from the CD.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #29
clepsydrae

Congrats!
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #30
karbomusic

Thanks Clepsy!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #31
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic
No problem, I'll PM you a link for full artwork.....
Done! Check your PMs.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:59 AM   #32
morgon

I listened the entire record a while back, the effort paid off very well, if there wasn't already a bunch of literature on the subject out there, you could write the book on the way you went about recording that.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #33
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
if there wasn't already a bunch of literature on the subject out there, you could write the book on the way you went about recording that.
Hehe, I guess it is fairly documented already, mostly as show and tell for anyone who had interest and/or the remote chance it was helpful. I do thank you for listening my friend.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #34
BlessedOne72

Quote:
My pleasure, I'll PM it out this evening once I get it created. Thanks again!

Also, CDBaby's original extraction of my DDP had a mistake (I just learned this) - Track 4 (Downtime) is chopped off at the very end by 1 second and that shows up on Track 5. You'll know that's the issue if track 5 (God Candy) has a "bawoom" at the very beginning before the bass guitar comes in. This is not on the physical CD. If that is the case you can re-download when they fix it (should be in the next day or so), or I'll send you direct MP3s ripped from the CD.
Hi ... Still willing to upload the mp3 versions ? Somehow I'm unable to re-download the tracks from CD Baby .

... Google Drive or something ?

/ Toni S .
Old 07-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #35
karbomusic

Hi Tony,

I'll PM you a link that contains all the original WAVs that went on the CD.

Edit: Done - let me know if you download it successfully and/or if you have problems.