COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
AndyMc
Human being with feelings

Default ReaRoute

This is more a question but it was relating to NINJAM so I thought it would be best here.

I have been using REAPER as a bridge between NINJAM and CUBASE SX 3.
How I set it up was to set reapers in and out to clients 1 and 2 for left and right. So I setup a track to take input from ReaRoute 3 and 4 and set cubase out in the VST Connections to 3 and 4 so I route cubase out on 3 and 4 and pull it in on reaper on 3 and 4. Then that track on reaper I output on ReaRoute 1 and 2 which goes to NINJAM which has its ASIO input set to ReaRoute 1 and 2,
At this point I have sound routing from Cubase to ninjam using reaper as a bridge, others will here but I wont. Also my Reaper is set to my sound cards ASIO driver. So anyway next I set the asio out on NINJAM to ReaRoute 1 and 2 as first and last selection. Now on Reaper I add another track and set its input to ReaRoute 1 and 2, then I added 1 more track which was my mic in and also set this trakcs output to ReaRoute 1 and 2.

All works fine and people get direct audio streamed but the prob I get is lag and delay sometimes and I seem to be getting disconected and losing streams more now and others don't seem to be having the prob.
Also I sometimes have clicks and but it seems to be the resources its all sucking from the machine.
I will try routing a few extra channels in that setup as I have a sorta route a to be then be back to a going on there so might be some of the prob.
Anyway can I route direct from Cubase using rearoute direct to ninjam.
I can not select my sound cards asio driver in cubase and ninjam, it sort of freezes sometimes but also only gives me my hardware inputs and no asio input whereas if I select Asio Multi Media I can select Wave which is a channel I setup and then audio out as my built in motherboards soundcard then I run a line out on pro soundcard to line in on motherboard sound card. The reason is because when I do it this way using multimedia asio I get a delay when I up the volume in ninjam, its like a big latency and if I lower the buffer in multimedia asio to get a low latency i get pops when more audio streams get added from more people joining.
So I normally put the ninjam volume down then inputs up but this can give extra distortion to it all.
What would be great is if I could route direct from cubase to ninjam, reaper runs good but ontop of ninjam and cubase it is a prob.
I would be happy just using my hardware asio but when I do I get what I play feed back to me, is there anyway on ninjam to up local level but mute myself from playing back, so I can see level but dont here myself. I bet its as simple as mute aint it?
But if not can I config it somehow?

I bet thats well confusing, I know someone will get it but if you don't don't brain strain over it, I can also re-explain it.

It always sounds good when I'm tpying it, its just after when I read it back.

EDIT: Ok I just tested the mute and when I mute it mutes it to others also.
I'll mess with more rearoute channels and see if it helps but it not if anyone can help that wil be great.

Many Thanks,
AndyMc...

Last edited by AndyMc; 01-08-2007 at 02:42 PM.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:37 AM   #2
AndyMc

Ok an update:

I have switch from rearoute back to my cards ASIO and routed that proper now but ReaRoute is amazing how good it works but it will need a lot of memory, stripped XP setup if people want to use it with cubase and some of the more complex VSTi's.

I have an EMU 0404 card and I've got that going line out into the builtin sound card which is a nvidia onboard sound.
The line out of the emu to line in on the onboard sound is just for me to hear and has no baring on my asio setup.
I setup it to the default 44.1khz Multitrack, then I added another asio channel (Strip) then I routed all out to asio 13/14 then ninjam I routed that asio channel to the line out on the emu card.
Asio 13/14 for some reason is showing up in ninjam inputs on the emu asio after settign it to default multitrack so i dragged this to the inserts on the master out on the emu mixer.
I mute the asio track which ninjam is on but added the send to that one to line out so i could still hear it but u guys don't get it looping back.
LOL this is getting confusing, anyway, I now have what I hear feeding to you guys direct through asio. But now its using the hardware asio driver I have no lag or other disconnecting probs as much.
The ReaRoute Driver is wicked and a lot easier to setup but I just couldn't run all I wanted to, and I had to use Cubase as some VSTi's crashed on Reaper. Its a shame cos reaper uses so much less cpu cycles then cubase and just leaves my machine moving a lot better. But its better now its using the hardware asio.
Oh the other thing, I put ninjam on asio 28/29 and cubase on asio 30/31. Line in Left and Line in Right are on asio 1/2 and 3/4 so I can use vst effects on cubase in real time on the mics aswell as in the EMU Mixer.

I put this here as some may have an emu card too and need info on settign up ninjam and cubase.

Only thing I need to do now is somehow sync ninjam with cubase. So if ninjam gets a MTC that will control cubase it will be just thje most brilliant thing on earth.

K, cya on NINJAM!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Newbie Brad

Could you do any of this with the developer's alphas or betas of Jack For Windows? They're free if you can use them.
Newbie Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
FingerSoup

I have just successfully routed Psycle (http://psycle.pastnotecut.org) through Ninjam with Jack for windows and Jackrouter.dll, whereas ReaRoute causes Psycle to crash.
FingerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
Newbie Brad

Neat.

<The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.>
Newbie Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:24 AM   #6
AndyMc

Jack for Windows sounds interesting, is that like a virual audio router?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
FingerSoup

yeah, it was originally designed for Linux.... It's kinda hacked together right now - you need to do some command line stuff to get it working right. I'll explain the process in general, then you can use the docs for specifics.

1. First, you need to download the jackdmp_0.61.zip and qjackctl.zip and unzip them. You may need to use something other than the default windows XP unzip utility - I had to install 7-zip, but that's not a big deal, and Winzip might work too.

2. install jackrouter.dll using "regsvr32 jackrouter.dll".

3. Read the qjackctl readme - it is the most helpful for getting started. Copy the 2 files to the location specified, open and configure as listed. exit qjackctl when done. don't forget to save the settings.

4. run jackdmp with the appropriate arguments. make sure you use YOUR ASIO card name and not "MOTU ASIO" as listed in the docs...

5. Then you open QJackctl for windows (Gui interface for Jack) and set up your connections in there...

6. Open your programs and set their ASIO drivers to jackrouter ASIO.

7. Link everything in qjackctl. Wire as you see fit. Depending on your inputs/outputs, you can pipe anything pretty much anywhere.

If you read the docs and are comfortable with a command line you can do it pretty easily.

The GUI makes using it pretty easy. If you can hook up a guitar rig, or an HDTV, you will have no problems understanding how to wire things in Jack.

Last edited by FingerSoup; 02-07-2007 at 12:05 PM.
FingerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
INCOMING

Default Audiomulch

If you not have found audiomulch yet, go here for a 60 day
try out. http://www.audiomulch.com/

PC routing.
You have to use reaper as a master. In audiomulch you set the audiodriver to asio rearoute and change SX3 to rearoute asio driver and vstconnections for your rearoute master output.
This is for playing vsti through SX3 and reaper routed to a reaninjammtrack with your asio soundcard latency ;-) (You have to disabel your midi input in Reaper to actually play the vsti in cubase)
All the other routings you prob figured out.

PS. Any output over the masteroutput in SX3 are also routed to reaper

Last edited by INCOMING; 01-18-2008 at 02:58 AM.
INCOMING is offline   Reply With Quote