Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #1
percy main
Human being with feelings

Default Organising reaper for dub

How do you organize or configure reaper to do this with a one fader control surface such as an alphatrack?

or is that not feasible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIUPINfKNno
percy main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Stella645

I had a quick go at this and got it working OK-ish.

Enable feedback routing in project settings advanced tab.
Add two tracks to project a and b and turn down a.
Send desired audio track (lets say guitar) to track a.
Send from track a to track b but untick master send
Send from track b back to guitar track and untick master send.
Add the delay effect to track b..preferably a tape style delay...probably you'll need a limiter after it and maybe experiment with eq too.
Control the fader of track a with alphatrack. Turn it down before starting play and then try pushing it up to start the effect and riding it carefully to avoid a complete mess!

Don't use a limiter with high latency as it will mess up timing. The included JS Event Horizon would do to get you started. I got acceptable results with IK TR5 Tape echo...the few JS or Reaper delays I tried sounded pretty awful used this way.

Getting the correct balance of echo descending to noise without clipping something in digital seems to be kind of tricky. It did seem to sound better with a long lookahead limiter (Ik Stealth) but the delayed onset of echo that can't be edited was too annoying.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
percy main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
I had a quick go at this and got it working OK-ish.

Enable feedback routing in project settings advanced tab.
Add two tracks to project a and b and turn down a.
Send desired audio track (lets say guitar) to track a.
Send from track a to track b but untick master send
Send from track b back to guitar track and untick master send.
Add the delay effect to track b..preferably a tape style delay...probably you'll need a limiter after it and maybe experiment with eq too.
Control the fader of track a with alphatrack. Turn it down before starting play and then try pushing it up to start the effect and riding it carefully to avoid a complete mess!

Don't use a limiter with high latency as it will mess up timing. The included JS Event Horizon would do to get you started. I got acceptable results with IK TR5 Tape echo...the few JS or Reaper delays I tried sounded pretty awful used this way.

Getting the correct balance of echo descending to noise without clipping something in digital seems to be kind of tricky. It did seem to sound better with a long lookahead limiter (Ik Stealth) but the delayed onset of echo that can't be edited was too annoying.
That's interesting but it wasn't a dub feedback method that I had in mind, it was the mixing and routing/bus configuration I needed help with
I have managed to achieve this to some extent using by using multiple sends and trim volume but the alphatrack stops working with reaper as I mix on the fly and I keep having to reload the project.
It works with mouse but I can't control it properly.
percy main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:45 AM   #4
jrk

Sounds like your issue is more like "alphatrack stops working with reaper".
Maybe come up with a minimal demonstration of the problem and post again under a more useful title - I'm sure there's someone on here with experience of that hardware w/ Reaper.