Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-30-2021, 11:26 PM   #1761
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
So basically any device will work as long as it has MIDI functionality and would not matter if it's USB, bluetooth or wireless, is this correct please?
... as long as it's shown as a Midi device in Reaper. I.e. as long as the OS supports it as a "standard" Midi thingy.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #1762
nofish

I've started a new mapping project with ReaLearn for my MIDI keyboard (Evolution MK-416C) since it has a few sliders and knobs and now on every Reaper project startup I get this window:

This is the controller preset I use currently (no main preset):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n11smzn313...-416.json?dl=1
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #1763
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I've started a new mapping project with ReaLearn for my MIDI keyboard (Evolution MK-416C) since it has a few sliders and knobs and now on every Reaper project startup I get this window:

This is the controller preset I use currently (no main preset):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n11smzn313...-416.json?dl=1
For now, removing "commandName": "0" in the JSON should fix the issue. But I will try to take some measure for the next version that this doesn't occur.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #1764
nofish

Thank you.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:30 AM   #1765
foxAsteria

Man, it's hard to express how satisfying it is every time a new mapping instantly starts working the moment the correct sequence is entered. What a stellar feature!

It feels like magic but I know exactly why it works when it does. Just so damn cool to type that final character and watch my display come to life in exactly the way I'd intended.

Normally I'm used to everything not working for inexplicable reasons, so it's actually rather tremendous to have so many repeatable successes at something I've been struggling for years to get anywhere with...

Anyways, I could use another recipe from the Master Chef (or whoever, really).

I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing banks. I've got 32 channels set up on my TouchOSC device and I want the bank to switch by 16 (so, 1-32 > 16-48 > 32-64...etc).

I figure the easiest way is to have dynamic track ID's calculated from whatever number the first track of the bank currently is and just use a couple buttons to change that is but I don't really know how that would work.

With Project: navigate between tracks and {{target.text_value}}, I already get the first track of the list corresponding to the selected track, so how do I simply add numbers to that for the other tracks?

Alternatively it could be nice to scroll the whole thing a single track at a time if it were possible to wrap the track list so that track 1 will appear after the last track and I could continue scrolling in either direction to reach any track. Is that possible?

Last edited by foxAsteria; 12-05-2021 at 09:30 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #1766
Matt Mayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing banks. I've got 32 channels set up on my TouchOSC device and I want the bank to switch by 16 (so, 1-32 > 16-48 > 32-64...etc).

I figure the easiest way is to have dynamic track ID's calculated from whatever number the first track of the bank currently is and just use a couple buttons to change that is but I don't really know how that would work.

With Project: navigate between tracks and {{target.text_value}}, I already get the first track of the list corresponding to the selected track, so how do I simply add numbers to that for the other tracks?

Alternatively it could be nice to scroll the whole thing a single track at a time if it were possible to wrap the track list so that track 1 will appear after the last track and I could continue scrolling in either direction to reach any track. Is that possible?
One piece of the puzzle might be something like this - I'm using this with Track <Dynamic> to make my 8 physical faders always correspond to the bank of 8 _within which_ the currently-selected track is:

Code:
(int(selected_track_index / 8) * 8)
If you switched both the 8s to 16s, that would create a similar situation, but I think that's only one small piece that you may have already figured out. I imagine another piece would involve the internal ReaLearn parameters, which I haven't used much yet.
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #1767
nofish

@foxAsteria
Also might want to look at the 'DAW control' main preset (available via ReaPack), it has track banking implemented.

@helgoboss
Any news on the track name display issue related to BCManager Mackie Monitor (https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...stcount=1722)?
(Sorry for the impatience, eager to continue working on this setup... )
If noone shows up with a real MCU for testing how would you suggest to proceed, could it maybe be an option in ReaLearn to always update the full display line (if I understand correctly that's the issue)?

Last edited by nofish; 12-04-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:18 AM   #1768
Rodilab

Let me make a suggestion:

The "Global: Last touched" is really very interesting. However I don't use it, because it is too "global"...
For example, if I touched a track, it will assign the fader to a "Select/Unselect track" toggle.

It could be interesting to choose the type of control we are interested in.
For example "Last touched pan" or "Last touched FX param".
Or better, to be able to choose several : "Last touched send, pan, width, volume".

Thanks for reading
Rodilab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:33 AM   #1769
lalo

Hi all! Is it possible to control .rpl user preste files for plugins? If i use the learn target feature to control the actual plugin menu where user presets are selctable insteead the actual VST preset changes but not the .rpl. Thanks
lalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #1770
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mayfield View Post
One piece of the puzzle might be something like this - I'm using this with Track <Dynamic> to make my 8 physical faders always correspond to the bank of 8 _within which_ the currently-selected track is:

Code:
(int(selected_track_index / 8) * 8)
Yea seems like basically what I'm looking for, just struggling to make sense of dynamic target...

Quote:
@foxAsteria
Also might want to look at the 'DAW control' main preset (available via ReaPack), it has track banking implemented.
Funny! I always thought I'd made that long ago and abandoned it but I actually just never looked at it.

Unfortunately studying it doesn't help me much as I simply don't understand the expressions...p * 10000? Ummmm, no clue.

Definitely would have saved some time making all those assignments manually but maybe I wouldn't have learned as much.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:43 AM   #1771
helgoboss

Quote:

As nofish mentioned, the "DAW control" preset shows the currently fashionable way to do this. By default, this involves using ReaLearn's internal parameters.

The idea is like this:

(1) Pick parameter

You pick one of ReaLearn's internal parameters that should act as "track" parameter in future, e.g. "Parameter 1" (you can give it a descriptive name in the right-click context menu so you don't forget what this parameter is about).

(2) Bind track targets to this parameter (= tell ReaLearn what it should do when that parameter changes)

You do this by using the <Dynamic> track selector. You need to enter a formula that calculates the index of the track from the value of "Parameter 1". If that formula results in zero, the target will affect the first track. If it results in one, the second track ... and so on. (If you now ask me, why always start at zero, not at one ... because with formulas such as these, you enter the world of programming and math. This makes calculations easier to write, programmers are used to it.)

The value of the first parameter is accessible as "p[0]" (or "p1", a now deprecated syntax). Parameter values are decimal numbers between 0.0 (minimum) and 1.0 (maximum). So you need to think how to translate this decimal number into a track number. How? In another comment you were asking why the "DAW control" preset uses formulas such as "p[0] * 10000". Let's just look at some examples:

- If the parameter value is 0.0000, this formula will result in track index 0 (= first track).
- If the parameter value is 0.0001, this formula will result in track index 1 (= second track).
- If the parameter value is 0.1000, this formula will result in track index 1000.
- If the parameter value is 1.0000, this formula will result in track index 10000.

So with this formula, values of parameter 1 can represent up to 10000 tracks. That's just a convention which I made for the "DAW control" preset because I thought, 10000 tracks are more than enough.

You need to do this for each track target that you want to be affected by the track bank/channel switch. It should be the same formula everywhere. For large presets such as "DAW control", this is of course a lot of repetition. That's why I used ReaLearn Script (Lua) to generate it. This is the Lua source file.

After you have carried out this step, changing ReaLearn's parameter 1 from REAPER (using automation or using the GUI) will already have the desired effect.

(3) Now simply assign some control elements which control that parameter

Just map some of your control elements (buttons, encoders, faders, ...) to that parameter. Relative, absolute ... whatever. This is stuff you already know how to do.

Most likely you want to use relative control, e.g. with encoders or incremental buttons. In that case, the step sizes matter! Choose a step size of 0.0001 (see above) to navigate exactly one track. The rest you can figure out yourself.

Quote:

This is one of the use cases which is not possible with the "Parameter" approach. Because you are controlling the parameter value itself and just let the track targets follow it.

However, there's a fundamentally different way of approaching this whole thing, which makes this possible: By not using parameters at all but by working on whatever track is currently selected. You can try it by setting the "follow_track_selection" variable of above mentioned Lua script to "true" (oh, it already is), copy and "Import from clipboard". It uses "Project: Navigate within tracks". You can tick the "Wrap" checkbox and it will jump from the last track to the first one (and vice versa).

Quote:
@foxAsteria

@helgoboss
Any news on the track name display issue related to BCManager Mackie Monitor (https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...stcount=1722)?
(Sorry for the impatience, eager to continue working on this setup... )
If noone shows up with a real MCU for testing how would you suggest to proceed, could it maybe be an option in ReaLearn to always update the full display line (if I understand correctly that's the issue)?
No news. I think I will just release 2.11.0 within the next few days. If the current mechanism doesn't work for someone with multi-display hardware, he or she will hopefully give feedback. As of introducing a workaround in ReaLearn in order to support BCManager Mackie Monitor, I would prefer not to go this way. It would be effort that I would like to invest elsewhere. Did you get in contact with developer? At the moment I really thinks it's a non-optimal implementation on that side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodilab View Post
Let me make a suggestion:

The "Global: Last touched" is really very interesting. However I don't use it, because it is too "global"...
For example, if I touched a track, it will assign the fader to a "Select/Unselect track" toggle.

It could be interesting to choose the type of control we are interested in.
For example "Last touched pan" or "Last touched FX param".
Or better, to be able to choose several : "Last touched send, pan, width, volume".

Thanks for reading
That would make sense and not difficult to implement. But please open an issue for it on GitHub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalo View Post
Hi all! Is it possible to control .rpl user preste files for plugins? If i use the learn target feature to control the actual plugin menu where user presets are selctable insteead the actual VST preset changes but not the .rpl. Thanks
Can you describe in more detail how target "FX: Navigate between presets" doesn't work for you?
Old 12-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #1772
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
As of introducing a workaround in ReaLearn in order to support BCManager Mackie Monitor, I would prefer not to go this way. It would be effort that I would like to invest elsewhere.
Understandable.

Quote:
Did you get in contact with developer? At the moment I really thinks it's a non-optimal implementation on that side.
Ah no, because you didn't reply directly to my edit here so I wasn't sure if you find it a good idea or not (my fault though, as probably I haven't made it clear enough that I'd appreciate your thought on it. )
Ok, will contact the dev then and report back how it goes.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #1773
Miscreant

I've run into a hitch with the ReaLearn Companion app. Specs:

- Three instances of ReaLearn on Monitor FX: (1) Yamaha Keyboard (no auto-load); (2) TCP/MCP controls in Reaper (no auto-load); (3) Various Reaper FX (auto-load) + (instance /superior/)

I have (3) running a server for the Companion.

Problem:

- The app does not automatically switch visual mappings when I switch FX in Reaper. The app shows only the mapping for whatever FX was floating in Reaper when I connected it to the server.

Any hints here? I've looked up and down and just can't figure it out. Used to have it no problem.
Miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:32 PM   #1774
foxAsteria

Well that sure clears things up! Thank you helgboss for the detailed clarification and to Matt and nofish for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:39 AM   #1775
nofish

Quote:
Ok, will contact the dev then and report back how it goes.
BC Manager dev has replied:
https://mountainutilities.eu/forums/...ealearn-plugin
Old 12-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #1776
mozart999uk

I've got one plugin that's being a bit wonky with Realearn and my midi fighter twister.

I've got things set up nicely with other plugins so that when I insert a plugin and the gui pops up, the MFT knob lights reflect the current position of the knobs / faders on the plugin.

However, with Softube TLA 100A there's two knobs: "gain reduction" and "saturation" that aren't feeding back to the MFT initially. If I make adjustments to those knobs using the mouse, suddenly the lights spring to life on the MFT.

From then on, all gui knob positions are fed back accurately every time I open the plugin.

So the problem seems to be just with this plugin and just with those two knobs and just on initial insertion.

This doesn't happen with the other plugs I've tested.

I've checked the mappings for each knob and they are the same.

I'm presuming I need to go back to the plugin developer but what should I tell them?
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #1777
foxAsteria

Oh ouch. This is really devastating... When I did that "import from clipboard" thing, I accidentally did it while my own main preset was loaded (and hit "save," apparently). That's hundreds of complex mappings I've spent the last month working on. OK well at least I still have the Reaper preset from a week or two ago, so not all is lost.

I don't suppose there's any chance that gets automatically backed up somewhere? It's unreal. I have 10 pages of TouchOSC controls that just stopped working and I then discover this is the cause. I can redo it all but fuck me. That's like a week of tedious mapping.

And just when I was approaching perfection with this setup...gotta start from scratch. Sorry to whine about it here but I'm just in shock rn. I thought I'd be playing music next week instead of playing Sisyphus to a tiny violin ensemble...
Old 12-09-2021, 10:42 PM   #1778
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
I've run into a hitch with the ReaLearn Companion app. Specs:

- Three instances of ReaLearn on Monitor FX: (1) Yamaha Keyboard (no auto-load); (2) TCP/MCP controls in Reaper (no auto-load); (3) Various Reaper FX (auto-load) + (instance /superior/)

I have (3) running a server for the Companion.

Problem:

- The app does not automatically switch visual mappings when I switch FX in Reaper. The app shows only the mapping for whatever FX was floating in Reaper when I connected it to the server.

Any hints here? I've looked up and down and just can't figure it out. Used to have it no problem.
Can't test this now because AFK until end of next week. Could be a bug.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:43 PM   #1779
helgoboss

Quote:
If you want you can do the test suggested by the BCM Manager developer. At the moment I can't do any tests or improvements.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #1780
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
I've got one plugin that's being a bit wonky with Realearn and my midi fighter twister.

I've got things set up nicely with other plugins so that when I insert a plugin and the gui pops up, the MFT knob lights reflect the current position of the knobs / faders on the plugin.

However, with Softube TLA 100A there's two knobs: "gain reduction" and "saturation" that aren't feeding back to the MFT initially. If I make adjustments to those knobs using the mouse, suddenly the lights spring to life on the MFT.

From then on, all gui knob positions are fed back accurately every time I open the plugin.

So the problem seems to be just with this plugin and just with those two knobs and just on initial insertion.

This doesn't happen with the other plugs I've tested.

I've checked the mappings for each knob and they are the same.

I'm presuming I need to go back to the plugin developer but what should I tell them?
Yes, could be a plug-in specific issue. Especially if you have checked "Use polling" in the target (this is the default) because that means ReaLearn will continuously query the FX parameter and therefore shouldn't miss any changes.

You can check as well by showing this plug-in parameter in the track panel (using REAPER) and see which value is reflected there. If this also has the wrong value, you could file a bug report to Softtube saying that the parameter value is not reported correctly before changing the parameter within the plugin.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:54 PM   #1781
helgoboss

Quote:
Oh ouch. This is really devastating... When I did that "import from clipboard" thing, I accidentally did it while my own main preset was loaded (and hit "save," apparently). That's hundreds of complex mappings I've spent the last month working on. OK well at least I still have the Reaper preset from a week or two ago, so not all is lost.

I don't suppose there's any chance that gets automatically backed up somewhere? It's unreal. I have 10 pages of TouchOSC controls that just stopped working and I then discover this is the cause. I can redo it all but fuck me. That's like a week of tedious mapping.

And just when I was approaching perfection with this setup...gotta start from scratch. Sorry to whine about it here but I'm just in shock rn. I thought I'd be playing music next week instead of playing Sisyphus to a tiny violin ensemble...
Oh that sucks. I guess you have ReaLearn on the monitoring FX chain? Because if you use it in a project, you should have all the usual undo/backup/save stuff working as with any other VST plug-in.

I'm not so sure how undo works in the monitoring FX chain. Pretty sure that REAPER doesn't save backups for that. Might be worth to have a built-in undo/backup function in future. But for now, I suggest you craft ReaLearn mappings as part of a project and later copy the instance to the monitoring FX chain, to circumvent the issue. Or you use ReaLearn Script to write everything in a code editor, but of course that is a totally different approach.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:55 AM   #1782
mozart999uk

Quote:
Yes, could be a plug-in specific issue. Especially if you have checked "Use polling" in the target (this is the default) because that means ReaLearn will continuously query the FX parameter and therefore shouldn't miss any changes.

You can check as well by showing this plug-in parameter in the track panel (using REAPER) and see which value is reflected there. If this also has the wrong value, you could file a bug report to Softtube saying that the parameter value is not reported correctly before changing the parameter within the plugin.
Thanks that's really useful. It's not reflected in the track panel so I'll report it to softube :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:08 PM   #1783
Sound asleep

Is it possible to get realearn to map to volume of not track numbers but the track itself? I guess track name would be the best other way for me. not just volume, but also other things like solo and mute. Otherwise if I add a track above the one my controller is affecting, my controller will be affecting a different instrument, or nothing at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found it. I can choose "by ID" Gonna test it out.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 12-11-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #1784
foxAsteria

Quote:
Oh that sucks. I guess you have ReaLearn on the monitoring FX chain?
I do, thanks for your concern. But it wasn't as bad as I thought... The bulk of the work was still in the Reaper preset and the rest still pretty fresh in my head. Forced me to improve some fundamental things that I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. Got most of it back running last nite.

Yea I think some sort of backup on the monitor chain would be a good idea, but maybe a simple warning message in the UI would suffice, e.g: !!! Warning, ReaLearn is on the Monitor Fx Chain and presets will not be backed up in the project. Please back up your presets manually !!!

Thanks again for all your hard work! The more I use ReaLearn the more I appreciate how well thought out everything is. It's not always intuitive for me, but in the end it always makes perfect sense to do things that way.

I feel very blessed that you were compelled to go so deep into this project this year, and that it coincided with my own impulses to create these tools that are only now possible to create! On top of that, The other main software I'm using, TouchOSC underwent a similar overhaul and a superb new version became available this year. So amazing! Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Old 12-10-2021, 08:20 PM   #1785
bbdomestique

Default Waves Plugins with Auto-Load

I'm having trouble getting realearn's "FX-to-preset links" to identify individual waves plugins. When I try to add a link to a main preset, the last used waves plugin shows up in realearn's menu as "WaveShell1-VST3 10.0_x64.vst3". If I add it, it seems to take the mappings and apply them any time any waves plugin is focused. Here's what the waves website says about waveshell...

"All Waves plugins are installed to a folder named "Plug-Ins V12" (or V11/V10/V9, whichever version is installed on your device), which is inside the Waves folder, located on your system hard drive. These files should not be moved.

Instead, a WaveShell is placed in your host application's plugins folder. The WaveShell connects your host application to the plugins as a software gateway."

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to...tom-vst-folder

Do I need to tell my reaper plugin pathway to find the plugins in that waves folder on my system hard drive and remove the waveshell from my reaper fx folder? Or is there a way to keep the fx pathways as is and have realearn differentiate between waves plugins based on information that it is getting through the waveshell conduit? Reaper's built in midi learn is able to make this differentiation, so maybe there is a way to get realearn to identify them in a similar way. Thanks again for anyone who can help me with this.
bbdomestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #1786
Mevzu

Hello Mister Helgoboss,

First of all, big big respect to you and the work you made.

I have a few problems setting things up realearn with my midi controller.
I have a novation nocturn with 8 encoders with led and 8 buttons.
This controller has its own automap thing that i actually dont want to use so,
i changed to a midi controller and assigned cc numbers to the knobs and buttons.
Im totally a noob in binding things in realearn especially with technical namings numbers etc..
And after 3 days of trying i decided to post my question here, hoping that you maybe can help me by telling how i can achieve some things.

My first problem i encountered is when i want to use track volume setting for selected track the volume inside reaper(target) is jumping if i switch between tracks.
For example: If i set track 2 volume to 80% and i switch to the next track which was at 20%, it jumps also to 80%.
I tried with different settings like pick up, long time no see, parallel etc but that didnt make any change.
I thought that if i switched to a track, the encoder would begin to control it from the place where it was. I found out that when i switch to another track and wait a bit and then turn the knob it does the job. But then i have to wait a few seconds every time i switch between tracks.
Is this behaviour normal or am i doing something wrong?

My second problem is that i want to assign 8 knobs to track volume and 8 knobs to track pan of the selected and the following tracks.
For example if i select track 30, i would like to be able to control track 30 to 38.
I spend 3 days trying to achieve this but couldnt find how to do it and i dont know if its even possible.
Now i've read what you wrote above here about dynamic track selector, parameter 0.00001 etc. And i think that is something similar to what i want but where do i need to put those parameter settings?

I also wanted to ask what the difference is between the controller mappings section and real mappings. I get the same settings with both, so now i placed all my mappings in control mappings and dunnow if that's a problem.

My last question is, is there a way to fine tune a parameter like if i want to move a fader and i do that with a mouse, when i ctrl click it i can move it very slow.
That combination doesnt work by pressing ctrl and turning the knob i assigned to the volume.

My apologies for all my difficult questions and forgive me if im seeing/doing things wrong like i said im totally a noob in these technical things. I've tried to search in the user guide and your video for solutions but couldnt find it.
I also want to apologize for my bad english, its not my best language.
I hope you can help me.

Greetings,

Mevzu
Mevzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #1787
Sound asleep

I have my faders set on pickup, with a very narrow percentage, so that the fader latches on only when the controller is exactly at that value. But this has a downside, which appears to be that it will easily unlatch, if you move the controller too quickly. I guess this is maybe wishful thinking or maybe there's a mode like that, but it would be cool if there was a way for realearn to know if the two meet and become and in sync, and they don't come out of sync again, unless you touch the fader on the pc, or load a project or something.

EDIT: Switched it to 10% seems to work ok at that setting.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 12-11-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #1788
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdomestique View Post
I'm having trouble getting realearn's "FX-to-preset links" to identify individual waves plugins. When I try to add a link to a main preset, the last used waves plugin shows up in realearn's menu as "WaveShell1-VST3 10.0_x64.vst3". If I add it, it seems to take the mappings and apply them any time any waves plugin is focused. Here's what the waves website says about waveshell...

"All Waves plugins are installed to a folder named "Plug-Ins V12" (or V11/V10/V9, whichever version is installed on your device), which is inside the Waves folder, located on your system hard drive. These files should not be moved.

Instead, a WaveShell is placed in your host application's plugins folder. The WaveShell connects your host application to the plugins as a software gateway."

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to...tom-vst-folder

Do I need to tell my reaper plugin pathway to find the plugins in that waves folder on my system hard drive and remove the waveshell from my reaper fx folder? Or is there a way to keep the fx pathways as is and have realearn differentiate between waves plugins based on information that it is getting through the waveshell conduit? Reaper's built in midi learn is able to make this differentiation, so maybe there is a way to get realearn to identify them in a similar way. Thanks again for anyone who can help me with this.
Just a quick reply to this one for now because not much time at the moment.

You need a current pre-release of ReaLearn. With that, you will have to reestablish the existing FX-to-preset links and then it should work (distinguish between different Waves plugins).
Old 12-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #1789
bbdomestique

Quote:
Just a quick reply to this one for now because not much time at the moment.

You need a current pre-release of ReaLearn. With that, you will have to reestablish the existing FX-to-preset links and then it should work (distinguish between different Waves plugins).
amazing. Can't wait for the next release. And thanks again for making such an awesome resource and sharing it with all of us!!!
bbdomestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #1790
Sound asleep

I can only have one controller using realearn at a time, right?
Old 12-12-2021, 02:41 AM   #1791
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I can only have one controller using realearn at a time, right?
One instance, one controller. Multiple instances, multiple controllers.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:58 AM   #1792
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevzu View Post
Hello Mister Helgoboss,

First of all, big big respect to you and the work you made.

I have a few problems setting things up realearn with my midi controller.
I have a novation nocturn with 8 encoders with led and 8 buttons.
This controller has its own automap thing that i actually dont want to use so,
i changed to a midi controller and assigned cc numbers to the knobs and buttons.
Im totally a noob in binding things in realearn especially with technical namings numbers etc..
And after 3 days of trying i decided to post my question here, hoping that you maybe can help me by telling how i can achieve some things.

My first problem i encountered is when i want to use track volume setting for selected track the volume inside reaper(target) is jumping if i switch between tracks.
For example: If i set track 2 volume to 80% and i switch to the next track which was at 20%, it jumps also to 80%.
I tried with different settings like pick up, long time no see, parallel etc but that didnt make any change.
I thought that if i switched to a track, the encoder would begin to control it from the place where it was. I found out that when i switch to another track and wait a bit and then turn the knob it does the job. But then i have to wait a few seconds every time i switch between tracks.
Is this behaviour normal or am i doing something wrong?

My second problem is that i want to assign 8 knobs to track volume and 8 knobs to track pan of the selected and the following tracks.
For example if i select track 30, i would like to be able to control track 30 to 38.
I spend 3 days trying to achieve this but couldnt find how to do it and i dont know if its even possible.
Now i've read what you wrote above here about dynamic track selector, parameter 0.00001 etc. And i think that is something similar to what i want but where do i need to put those parameter settings?

I also wanted to ask what the difference is between the controller mappings section and real mappings. I get the same settings with both, so now i placed all my mappings in control mappings and dunnow if that's a problem.

My last question is, is there a way to fine tune a parameter like if i want to move a fader and i do that with a mouse, when i ctrl click it i can move it very slow.
That combination doesnt work by pressing ctrl and turning the knob i assigned to the volume.

My apologies for all my difficult questions and forgive me if im seeing/doing things wrong like i said im totally a noob in these technical things. I've tried to search in the user guide and your video for solutions but couldnt find it.
I also want to apologize for my bad english, its not my best language.
I hope you can help me.

Greetings,

Mevzu
About the jumping: You say your controller has encoders. Endless encoders I assume? Then you should configure the controller to send relative messages, not absolute ones. Otherwise you miss out a lot ... and you get jumps. If for some reason you still want to use absolute messages, you can use the takeover modes. They only have an effect of you set Jump Max to a low value.

For controlling the selected track, use <Dynamic> with formula "selected_track_index". For controlling the track below the selected track, use the formula "selected_track_index + 1" ... and so on.

Controller mappings are typically used to define the capabilities of your controllers, by using virtual targets only. You do that only once and then you can reuse it with different sets of main mappings, and get other benefits (all explained in the user guide). Yes, you can also use real targets in a controller mapping, but it's unusual and actually just intended as a way of saying "That controller should ALWAYS control e.g. the master volume with fader xyz, independently of which main preset is active".

Fine tuning can be achieved by using modifier-based conditional activation to switch between a mapping with a large step size and a mapping with a small step size. Naturally, this works for relative control only.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #1793
jachy

I really like ReaLearn. I've been wondering why are you so kind that you put so much effort into coding and then keep answering all the questions. Thanks!

I'm working on preset with Launchpad mini mk3 on programmer's mode. Is it possible to send midi note messages?I've tried Midi:Send Message (fx output) -> note velocity e.g. 91 3C [0gfe dcba]. Well, it doesn't do anything. I've tried moving ReaLearn to input fx slot but it doesn't help either. What I'm doing wrong?

Transposing notes isn't so simple because there is gaps between rows:
  • first row of pads: 11-18 (B-2 - F#-1)
  • second row: 21-28 (A-1 - E0)
jachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:49 PM   #1794
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachy View Post
I really like ReaLearn. I've been wondering why are you so kind that you put so much effort into coding and then keep answering all the questions. Thanks!
I love to code and ReaLearn is sort of "my baby", I'm happy to let it grow nicely I answer the questions because I feel that without doing that, all the effort gone into coding would be somehow in vain. What good is the best software that people don't know how to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachy View Post
I'm working on preset with Launchpad mini mk3 on programmer's mode. Is it possible to send midi note messages?I've tried Midi:Send Message (fx output) -> note velocity e.g. 91 3C [0gfe dcba]. Well, it doesn't do anything. I've tried moving ReaLearn to input fx slot but it doesn't help either. What I'm doing wrong?

Transposing notes isn't so simple because there is gaps between rows:
  • first row of pads: 11-18 (B-2 - F#-1)
  • second row: 21-28 (A-1 - E0)
Did you set your track's hardware output to the Launchpad device? This is necessary if you want MIDI sent to <FX output> arrive at your device. The alternative would be to send to <Feedback output>. Then just set the feedback output to your Launchpad device.

Please note that sending MIDI is just a nice bonus feature of ReaLearn which sometimes comes in handy (e.g. if you want to convert OSC to MIDI or if you have one parameter of a VSTi that's only controllable via MIDI but not via automation). But if your input is MIDI and you want full control of what MIDI messages are sent, then writing a JSFX is a much better alternative.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #1795
Sound asleep

Quote:
One instance, one controller. Multiple instances, multiple controllers.
Ok cool. Anything to watch out for in using multiple instances?
Old 12-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #1796
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Ok cool. Anything to watch out for in using multiple instances?
They all use the same main presets, so be sure you're editing the right one for the instance or you can lose some work. I've done this by having the same preset loaded in multiple instances and not paying attention to where I was editing it. Saved changes to presets do not update on the fly within other instances so it's easy to overwrite with old info that way.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #1797
Sound asleep

Quote:
They all use the same main presets, so be sure you're editing the right one for the instance or you can lose some work. I've done this by having the same preset loaded in multiple instances and not paying attention to where I was editing it. Saved changes to presets do not update on the fly within other instances so it's easy to overwrite with old info that way.
Noted, thank you. Load controller specific presets in separate instances.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #1798
foxAsteria

Hey Ok, I got my banks working, yay! But is there any way to exclude tracks from selected_track_index? I only want to see tracks visible in the TCP there; not <master>, VCA, fx returns, hidden tracks etc.

Also, with multiple mappings on one button, how to keep the single press from firing when doing double-press and long press?
Old 12-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #1799
Sound asleep

Quote:
Hey Ok, I got my banks working, yay! But is there any way to exclude tracks from selected_track_index? I only want to see tracks visible in the TCP there; not <master>, VCA, fx returns, hidden tracks etc.

Also, with multiple mappings on one button, how to keep the single press from firing when doing double-press and long press?
For the first part there's a track manager that will let you hide tracks in either cp. it has a few other features. I put it on the toolbar. It can be handy sometimes, but they still use cpu if you have routing and stuff is the downside. Otherwise I would have kontakt templates and stuff like that with like 16 or 32 tracks for each instance, and have them load all hidden. That way I could just unhide a new track, and all the routing is done already. But I tried it and it was an insane resources hog.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:29 AM   #1800
Dex

Has anyone got color feedback working with TouchOSC? If so, how do you set it up? It’s not a huge deal, but it would be nice to color some faders in TouchOSC with the selected reaper track color.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote