Old 06-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
BaronStinky
Human being with feelings

Default Notification prompts behind plugin windows

My video card recently died and I'm (hopefully temporarily) using an old card with only one monitor output. This problem started only after moving to a single monitor:

Certain floating plugin windows block notifications. I think it may be when they are pinned, but it dawns on me just now I haven't confirmed that. This is problematic for a number of reasons, but especially if said plugin window decides it can't be accessed/moved until the notification is addressed (a prompt to save changes to a Kontakt instrument for example). I can't click yes or no on the notification box because it won't come up over the plug and I can't move the plug window - all I can do is hit alt-tab and use the windows X tick box to clear the notification. I'm guessing this could well be a Windows issue and not a Reaper problem, just haven't noticed it yet with other software.

Any ideas? I've checked in display settings and the OS doesn't seem to think there's a phantom monitor or anything.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
BaronStinky

Confirmed, it's only when the plugin is pinned. So I guess I just have to remember to unpin a plugin every time I do certain things.

Forgetting this is the issue and trying to figure out why my screen seems locked up all the time has been fun, but if anyone knows why it's like this and how I can make it stop, then holler!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
Stella645

Probably worth trying a reset to default settings. You can always back up your reaper.ini and replace it if this doesn't help.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
BaronStinky

Arg. Didn't even think of the ol' standby cuz I haven't had to try it in forever. Yep. I'll give that a shot when I'm done tonight.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
BaronStinky

No luck, sadly.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
BaronStinky

Another weird thing about it I noticed today:

I selected multiple tracks in the Mixer Panel and hit delete. Nothing happened. Weird. Hit delete a bunch of times. No errors, no windows angry bing, nothing. Right click and remove tracks - works fine. I shrug and hit Cntrl-M to close out the Mixer Panel and do the next thing. Nuthin. Weird.... oh wait I think, is that thing happening here too? Sure enough, I hit alt-tab and the confirmation "Delete 4 selected tracks? Yes/No" dialog is behind the mixer and inaccessible. I can however use the mouse to x out of the mixer and get then click on the dialog in this case.

So now I'm seeing this behavior with dialog boxes that are not related to plugins. Those tracks were also empty - no fx, automation, sends, etc.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
BaronStinky

After some digging, this does appear to be a Windows issue, nothing to do with Reaper. Solution MAY be a new graphics card - some people reported success with up to date drivers.

The other possible solution involves editing the registry.

Feh.

So if anyone else has this issue, there ya go. This is a flaw in Win 10.