Old 06-22-2019, 12:21 AM   #1
OpIvy
Human being with feelings

Default 'So Deep'

Here's a new song for ya....a lot like all my others.
https://soundcloud.com/opivy/so-deep

Happy to accept love or hate
Old 06-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
prom

Always a live feel to the performance in your recordings.
Another great track.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Yea it's got a great space and feel. Sounds like the first beat got cut off in the render tho. Perfect amount of "rawwww-ness" for me.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
morgon

Very cool as always, these later mixes are really good, there might be a way to make the vocals a bit more discernible during the choruses but overall excellent.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #5
Not_Here

killer vox - really like the doubles

man your mixes are getting better every time, no not just the mix.. Its the song writing... this song has( IMO ) a awesome texture feeling in the verses. call me strange but, it's a lot like some old Talking Heads or Blondie type CBGB old school punk feel. The Chorus is a great contrast that takes the song up a notch or two. Agree that keeping the Vox on top of the Chorus like in verses would push this song to the stratosphere... again IMO.

The Drums? damn good...

And now what always happens when you put out a new song, I just let your SC play through songs... Dig it!

Listening on my monitors at about 75dB's. Niiiice...
Old 06-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
OpIvy

Well thanks fellas for the listen and comments. Happy to hear it's all sounding ok.
Re: the vocals in the chorus...I gotta agree and it's probably another one of those eq things. It was a bit tricky having a third, pretty distorted guitar coming in close the center. It kept losing its nice tone when I dropped a lot of the mids out so I ending up leaving it. Would rather vox a bit buried than too much in front of some weak guitars.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
brainwreck

The song has a good feel to it, and I agree with someone above in that your mixing is getting better. The mix has an overall warmth to it that I don't remember hearing in your previous stuff. And the guitars don't have that annoying nasty amp sim upper mids stuff going on. Cool feel and overall sound.

A couple of things came to mind while listening. The kick sounds pretty rumbly/reverby, especially during the busier parts of the song. Would like to hear the vocal with less of that lofi effect on it for this one. Would like to hear more variation on the drums...some cymbals and snare ghost notes. Drums sound a bit loopy.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
OpIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
The song has a good feel to it, and I agree with someone above in that your mixing is getting better. The mix has an overall warmth to it that I don't remember hearing in your previous stuff. And the guitars don't have that annoying nasty amp sim upper mids stuff going on. Cool feel and overall sound.

A couple of things came to mind while listening. The kick sounds pretty rumbly/reverby, especially during the busier parts of the song. Would like to hear the vocal with less of that lofi effect on it for this one. Would like to hear more variation on the drums...some cymbals and snare ghost notes. Drums sound a bit loopy.
Thanks man, you've given me a bit to think about.
That damn kick! I thought it sounded awesome in the verses but as you said, it's a bit flubby in the chorus. When I got it sounding good in the chorus, it lost it's thump in the verse!

Vox- fair call. Still not overly confident...

Drums- pure laziness my friend. That's what I live about AD. I do sometimes do a lot of chopping and changing but its too hard work for me.

I'm considering making a few tweaks
Old 06-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #9
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpIvy View Post
Drums- pure laziness my friend. That's what I live about AD. I do sometimes do a lot of chopping and changing but its too hard work for me.
I completely understand. That's why I ended up going to an electronic kit. It's still hard work learning to play, but it's damn fun too. MIDI patterns (premade or diy) are quick for getting going on a tune, but after that it gets very difficult to make things sound natural. Some people can do it though. I'm just not one of them.