Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.978+dev0514a - May 14 2019

v5.978+dev0514a - May 14 2019
# MIDI editor: select note when clicking on velocity stem for all mouse modifier except ramp behaviors

v5.978+dev0514 - May 14 2019
+ Glue: fix take FX automation [t=220858]
+ MIDI editor: always select the associated note when clicking on velocity stem, regardless of user preference to select CC event on single click
+ MIDI editor: support pasting CC events from one lane to another
+ Notation editor: fix musicxml export of grand staff in certain situations [p=2134187]
+ Render: improve labeling of dither/noise shaping controls [t=220725]
+ Undo: improve vertical scroll issues with large envelope panels [t=220809]
# MIDI editor: draw CC stems similarly to CC event fill
# MIDI recording: CC touch-replace/latch-replace operate independent of note recording
# Notation editor: multitremolo display tweaks

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases

Last edited by Edgemeal; 05-15-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
# MIDI recording: CC touch-replace/latch-replace operate independent of note recording
FUCKING YESSSSSS!!!!!! THANKS!

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: always select the associated note when clicking on velocity stem, regardless of user preference to select CC event on single click
I'm not seeing anything selected, though (with my mouse modifier setting at least). Regardless of "allow selecting a single event with a mouse click" preference, clicking on the stem doesn't select that note at all.

This still fails (grabbing stuff by the note length handle), but to be fair the changelog doesn't say anything about it. It's just something I think makes a lot of sense
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

ED, can you post your reaper-mouse.ini ? Something must be customized there that is affecting this.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Neutronic

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: support pasting CC events from one lane to another
These are super useful. Thank you!
Neutronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
ED, can you post your reaper-mouse.ini ? Something must be customized there that is affecting this.
I posted it some dev threads back, here it is again, no sweat:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=17
Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Try dev0514a?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Now it works, event selection is shown when tweaking individual velocities. Also sorts out the thing I posted in the GIF above. Thanks, schwa!

BTW... how is "source" color chosen? Seems to be random every time I open a new empty project. Not sure what is the usefulness of that coloring mode, to be frank.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
bFooz

Quote:
# Notation editor: multitremolo display tweaks
I like it now! It just needs some tweaks and done and completely usable!

The stroke angle must be limited. Probably to the same as max angle of beams (which in some situations can be obtained steeper than the one with those 8th notes on the pic)

Dorico extends the stems and puts slashes to the middle between notes.

Strokes overlap with ledger lines under the first note when that note has a stem. Whole notes are ok.

Strokes does not seem to be properly distributed, the middle stroke is closer to the top stroke than to the bottom one. Compare that to nicely aligned beams on 1/32 notes.

Beamed notes are not doubled in visual length.

All notes in the multitrem phrase should be visually lengthened.
Plus in this case, strokes are not drawn between proper stems, they are drawn only between start and end notes. All notes in the phrase and their position should be considered. This seems to be directly related to this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=220201

The multi-note trem is in notation "defined" only between notes at two time positions AFAIK. What's on the pic is undefined (all 9 notes are in the phrase). Don't know what to do with that, might be a problem mainly for xml export.

Dorico considers positional pairs.

This one is messy, notes are overlapping. Dorico considers just noteheads and ignore ties.

Last edited by bFooz; 05-14-2019 at 11:31 AM.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
bFooz

Quote:
+ Notation editor: fix musicxml export of grand staff in certain situations
Grand staff export works fine.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
EvilDragon

bFooz, awesome that you're spending all this time to thoroughly test Reaper's notation features. But I'm not exactly sure how deep you should go, when you're starting to compare the look of things in Reaper with the look of things in 560€ worth of professional engraving software (yes, it's overpriced, we all know).

I mean, sure, we want the best for Reaper, but I feel all these notation things could possibly be better done at a later point when Reaper gets articulation management (that's still on the table, right, schwa?)?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
EvilDragon

bFooz, awesome that you're spending all this time to thoroughly test Reaper's notation features. But I'm not exactly sure how deep you should go, when you're starting to compare the look of things with 560€ worth of professional engraving software (yes, it's overpriced, we all know).

I mean, sure, we want the best for Reaper, but I feel all these notation things could possibly be better done at a later point when Reaper gets articulation management (that's still on the table, right, schwa?), don't you think? Then we get the cake AND we eat it at the same time.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
schwa
Administrator

If you find yourself thinking "I wish they wouldn't work on X, because Y is more important," maybe just ignore X?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
bFooz

With notation recently I'm mainly focused on bugs and time-to-time I present some FR, which this time got attention. And when it comes to existence it should be at least on a minimal usable level.

Comparing to Dorico - I'm not expecting to have it like that in Reaper, just using it so we don't have to reinvent the wheel or so I don't have to explain stuff in words.

Articulation manager - I am also curious if that's gonna happen. Also what about the notation API?

Last edited by bFooz; 05-14-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #14
Sju

Quote:
+ Undo: improve vertical scroll issues with large envelope panels [t=220809]
Thanks for this fix devs! The view is no longer jumping if you've for example marquee zoomed into an envelope and then use undo, but it causes the envelope panel to flicker. Not sure if anything can be done about that though.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #15
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If you find yourself thinking "I wish they wouldn't work on X, because Y is more important," maybe just ignore X?
Oh, I'm not saying that. I'm always appreciating constant stream of updates, even if it's not stuff hitting the mark all the time (and it can't be). I'm just amazed at the detail of bFooz's feedback and at the same time befuddled by how deep it goes.

But thanks for explaining it in more detail, bFooz - now I understand more where you come from. All good
Old 05-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #16
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
... when Reaper gets articulation management (that's still on the table, right, schwa?)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Articulation manager - I am also curious if that's gonna happen. Also what about the notation API?
Yyyesss. Sorry off-topic.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #17
_Stevie_

@devs: I know this is not really part of the current dev cycle, but since it got recently improved:

Regarding global shortcuts: there's currently no way to exclude ReaScript text fields (search boxes), so that global shortcuts have no effect, or is there?
Old 05-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #18
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
@devs: I know this is not really part of the current dev cycle, but since it got recently improved:

Regarding global shortcuts: there's currently no way to exclude ReaScript text fields (search boxes), so that global shortcuts have no effect, or is there?
Hmm what do you mean by "ReaScript text fields" exactly?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #19
_Stevie_

Search boxes like these, where we need to enter text:

EDIT: sorry forgot to put some description in the pic. I hope it's obvious anyway.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #20
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Articulation manager - I am also curious if that's gonna happen.
+1

Quote:
Also what about the notation API?
This is effectively available now; it's just not published like JSFX or ReaScript. You can identify how Reaper handles notation data by putting some notation in and viewing the MIDI event values. I've made a few effects that use notation data embedded in MIDI.

Sorry if this boarders on feature request, but for things like tremolos, slides, etc., it would be helpful if the notation data indicate the pitch that the articulation is attached to as well as the distance from the original note. (I mentioned something to this effect in the previous pre thread). This data would allow for some more sophisticated JSFX that interpret notation into other MIDI data (like alternating notes, pitch bend data, etc.).
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #21
Justin
Administrator

Ah so reascript-implemented fields in the gfx window? Yeah we should make Reascript gfx windows count as text fields too.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #22
_Stevie_

That's possible? Oh wow, this would be huge!
Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #23
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah so reascript-implemented fields in the gfx window? Yeah we should make Reascript gfx windows count as text fields too.
That would be a fantastic addtions! I've been working with one of the best script engineers on this forum LBX (leon) and this has been an issue for us. His LBX Stripper, which is like Touch OSC or Lemur on crack, has some issue with keycommands being sent to the script verses the main window and vice versa. Leon created a hotkey script for me that forces keys and actions back to which ever window I want (MIDI or Main). It would be so great to have these sorts of functions in Reaper. I believe allowing some certain script windows to be counted as text windows would really help. Especially with the global key actions additions.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:29 AM   #24
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
for things like tremolos, slides, etc., it would be helpful if the notation data indicate the pitch that the articulation is attached to as well as the distance from the original note.
Definitely.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:27 AM   #25
DANIELE

Quote:
bFooz, awesome that you're spending all this time to thoroughly test Reaper's notation features. But I'm not exactly sure how deep you should go, when you're starting to compare the look of things in Reaper with the look of things in 560€ worth of professional engraving software (yes, it's overpriced, we all know).

I mean, sure, we want the best for Reaper, but I feel all these notation things could possibly be better done at a later point when Reaper gets articulation management (that's still on the table, right, schwa?)?

I solved the problem of still not having an Articulation Mapper.

Try to avoid any library that uses articulations.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #26
ferropop

Hi! Wondering about this behaviour with the new square CC drawing:

Is this the expected behaviour? Just wondering why the draw resolution changes after doing a 'freehand' draw?
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #27
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
+1

This is effectively available now; it's just not published like JSFX or ReaScript. You can identify how Reaper handles notation data by putting some notation in and viewing the MIDI event values. I've made a few effects that use notation data embedded in MIDI.

Sorry if this boarders on feature request, but for things like tremolos, slides, etc., it would be helpful if the notation data indicate the pitch that the articulation is attached to as well as the distance from the original note. (I mentioned something to this effect in the previous pre thread). This data would allow for some more sophisticated JSFX that interpret notation into other MIDI data (like alternating notes, pitch bend data, etc.).
Sorry too for being off-topic.
Do you mean, including Justin's subsequent reply that it would be possible to insert text/custom notations *in notation view* to trigger MIDI events?
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #28
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks for that.
btw, a text box in lua was the first lua example schwa posted in 2015....
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #29
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post

Is this the expected behaviour? Just wondering why the draw resolution changes after doing a 'freehand' draw?
that is expected. left drag just adjusts what is currently there that you inserted by ignoring snap... it doesn't change resolution.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #30
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
that is expected. left drag just adjusts what is currently there that you inserted by ignoring snap... it doesn't change resolution.
Thanks!
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #31
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Sorry too for being off-topic.
Do you mean, including Justin's subsequent reply that it would be possible to insert text/custom notations *in notation view* to trigger MIDI events?
Notation data is written into MIDI as text (with some beginning value that signifies notation). Thus, notation data can be interpreted with JSFX and ReaScript.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:47 AM   #32
a13xhp

Quote:

Is reaper going to have an official articulation management system? Are you referring to "reaticulate? I am really intrigued on this!
a13xhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:14 AM   #33
EvilDragon

It was there in prereleases around v5.23 or something... there's a discussion thread too.