Old 04-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #121
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,745
Default

Man, I wish, I could help. Got an MK1 and do a bit of script coding. But I fear I'm not a big help here. However, I know that there are some Python scripts for Ableton Live, that NI provided to support the MK1. Would those help you?
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub | Stephan Römer - film composer
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #122
jteh
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 12
Default

I developed ReaKontrol's Mk1 support using the NI Ableton scripts as a reference. Apparently, despite that, I'm getting something wrong because it isn't working.
jteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #123
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,745
Default

Damn, well apparently Moss did a wrapper for his DrivenByMoss4Reaper.
So he must have found how it works:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=206610
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub | Stephan Römer - film composer
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #124
jteh
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 12
Default

For Mk1, DrivenByMoss uses raw USB to talk to the keyboard, rather than using the NI-extended MCU MIDI protocol. (In contrast, the Ableton scripts use the MIDI protocol.) While I guess that *could* be done for ReaKontrol, that would be a huge amount of work. Since I don't own an Mk1, I'm afraid that's not going to happen.

Given that the Ableton scripts use MIDI, there's no reason this shouldn't work in ReaKontrol. I must just have something wrong, but I can't work out what and it's difficult for me to debug without access to an Mk1 keyboard myself.
jteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #125
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,745
Default

I see. Hmm, there's only Jason (Tack) that comes into my mind that would be capable of helping here. He's a coder and he owns a MK1. I could contact him, if you want. Maybe he also reads this.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub | Stephan Römer - film composer
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #126
DrFrankencopter
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 117
Default

Hey guys, I've got a MK1 S61, and some coding experience...not sure what language jteh's plugin is (hope it's not Python), but I can try cloning the repo.

I only skimmed through this thread. What is the specific problem (symptom) with the Mk1 and the plugin?

PS: Probably should mention that I've managed to successfully modify the old version of Klinke's MCU plugin to fix some of its issues...so I've got a bit of CSurf and MCU experience.
__________________
RME TotalMixFX Actions for Reaper here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/29339/reape...MixOSC_x64.dll

Last edited by DrFrankencopter; 05-02-2019 at 08:07 AM.
DrFrankencopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #127
brummbear
Human being with feelings
 
brummbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: out west
Posts: 90
Default ReaKontrol Release v0.90

Recently I forked James' repository to contribute to the development. My focus during the last days has been adding the missing functionality for the Mk2 series keyboards that turn the keyboard into a fully featured control surface and deeply integrate it with Reaper.

The feature set is almost complete (only automation modes not yet implemented). There is still some polishing to do (in part related to quirks in the keyboard's firmware as well as some specialties coming from Reaper's API), but most of it won't be noticeable really. I therefore decided to publish the first release, you can download the binaries here (Windows only, 64bit). Just drop it into the REAPER\UserPlugins\ folder:
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...ases/tag/v0.90


When I find the time I will add release notes and a brief manual with suggested settings in Reaper. The functionality is implemented as per NI Komplete Kontrol Mk2 Manual (see Cubase and Logic pages). Tested with a KK S88 Mk2 Keyboard.

* Komplete Kontrol Instance Focus
* Transport Control
* Mixer Control / Control Surface Functions (Vol, Pan, Mute, Solo etc)
* Track and bank navigation
* Meters showing peak, calibrated to reflect exactly Reaper's meters
* Button light feedback

Eventually James will merge all or parts of these features into his parent repository. He has additional boundary conditions to consider as he needs to ensure compatibility with OSARA / screen reader users. Depending on that development I may rebase the modifications to keep the fork closely tied to James' original development. If you want to compile from sources please refer to the instructions in his repository.

Enjoy!
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:41 AM   #128
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,745
Default

Amazing! I guess there's no chance to adjust this to MK1, since protocols are completely different?
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub | Stephan Römer - film composer
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:43 AM   #129
DANIELE
Human being with feelings
 
DANIELE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Florence, Italy
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Amazing! I guess there's no chance to adjust this to MK1, since protocols are completely different?

I quote this.
__________________
Audio: AKG-K240 MKII, Adam A7X, Audient iD22 - Steinberg UR22; Piano: Yamaha P-250 - NI S88 MK1;
!!DANIELE EPIC ORCHESTRAL MUSIC!! |*| STAR WARS SERIES
DANIELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:19 AM   #130
moss
Human being with feelings
 
moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELE View Post
I quote this.
The DrivenByMoss4Reaper extension has full support for Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol mk I, mk II, A-series and M32 for quite some time.
Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

In case some people have never seen this:
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:30 AM   #131
DANIELE
Human being with feelings
 
DANIELE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Florence, Italy
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
The DrivenByMoss4Reaper extension has full support for Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol mk I, mk II, A-series and M32 for quite some time.
Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

In case some people have never seen this:
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

I knew about this but I remember I read that by using this you should no use control surfaces (obviously for other controllers)...
__________________
Audio: AKG-K240 MKII, Adam A7X, Audient iD22 - Steinberg UR22; Piano: Yamaha P-250 - NI S88 MK1;
!!DANIELE EPIC ORCHESTRAL MUSIC!! |*| STAR WARS SERIES
DANIELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:58 AM   #132
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
The DrivenByMoss4Reaper extension has full support for Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol mk I, mk II, A-series and M32 for quite some time.
Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

In case some people have never seen this:
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html
Hey moss,

don't get me wrong, I absolutely appreciate your work, but I'm not a huge fan of Java solutions.
They constantly hog my CPU and the work I'm doing is highly dependent on realtime processing.
That's why I would prefer a less CPU intensive solution.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub | Stephan Römer - film composer
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #133
brummbear
Human being with feelings
 
brummbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: out west
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Amazing! I guess there's no chance to adjust this to MK1, since protocols are completely different?
As James already stated the direct USB route for Mk1 is not within scope for ReaKontrol in my opinion. But implementing the MIDI commands should be within reach by studying NI's host integration script for Ableton, specifically "FocusControl.py" in the Mk1 folder. Anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Hey moss,
don't get me wrong, I absolutely appreciate your work, but I'm not a huge fan of Java solutions.
They constantly hog my CPU and the work I'm doing is highly dependent on realtime processing.
That's why I would prefer a less CPU intensive solution.
Moss, I think your work is absolutely impressive and you have generously made the Bitwig version open source! Looking at your code has saved me hours of reverse engineering effort. Since I was not in need of the broad coverage of different controllers I jumped on James' approach which is leaner. I also second Stevie's concerns about CPU resource consumption. The Java overhead aside it seems that your plugin continuously updates a lot of information and also polls the host continuously (I do not remember seeing individual hooks per parameter from host, but I also did not skim through all java files...)? ReaKontrol aims to make use of Reaper's event driven API callbacks wherever possible, i.e. rather than polling it gets only called individually per parameter when something changes. The information updates between keyboard and plugin are kept to a minimum, i.e. only changed parameters are updated. E.g. if a track name changes, only that name is transferred to the keyboard when you press the enter key - not all names in the bank. Same for volume, pan etc. I think this matters much more for performance than Java vs c++. Maybe your Reaper-wrapper takes care of these possibilities already in Reaper? If not, this could be an area for further optimization. Keep up the great work and "make some funky music"!

Last edited by brummbear; 05-29-2019 at 12:36 AM.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:05 AM   #134
moss
Human being with feelings
 
moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Moss, I think your work is absolutely impressive and you have generously made the Bitwig version open source! Looking at your code has saved me hours of reverse engineering effort. Since I was not in need of the broad coverage of different controllers I jumped on James' approach which is leaner. I also second Stevie's concerns about CPU resource consumption. The Java overhead aside it seems that your plugin continuously updates a lot of information and also polls the host continuously (I do not remember seeing individual hooks per parameter from host, but I also did not skim through all java files...)? ReaKontrol aims to make use of Reaper's event driven API callbacks wherever possible, i.e. rather than polling it gets only called individually per parameter when something changes. The information updates between keyboard and plugin are kept to a minimum, i.e. only changed parameters are updated. E.g. if a track name changes, only that name is transferred to the keyboard when you press the enter key - not all names in the bank. Same for volume, pan etc. I think this matters much more for performance than Java vs c++. Maybe your Reaper-wrapper takes care of these possibilities already in Reaper? If not, this could be an area for further optimization. Keep up the great work and "make some funky music"!
Hi, polling only happens when there is a change in Reaper. I do not check for which change this is exactly because the controller interface of Reaper is a bit limited (only the usual volume, pan, ... stuff is reported). Values are also cached on the C++ side and only transferred to Java and the controller if it has changed.
I do not have any resource problems on my system (and did not get any negative user reports so far).
If you took a look at it in the past, please try again, since I added lot of optimizations by now and the Java integration and installation is a no brainer (you only need to extract a ZIP file, that's it).
However, continue your work, it is always good to have alternatives :-)
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:44 AM   #135
aMUSEd
Human being with feelings
 
aMUSEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Recently I forked James' repository to contribute to the development. My focus during the last days has been adding the missing functionality for the Mk2 series keyboards that turn the keyboard into a fully featured control surface and deeply integrate it with Reaper.

The feature set is almost complete (only automation modes not yet implemented). There is still some polishing to do (in part related to quirks in the keyboard's firmware as well as some specialties coming from Reaper's API), but most of it won't be noticeable really. I therefore decided to publish the first release, you can download the binaries here (Windows only, 64bit). Just drop it into the REAPER\UserPlugins\ folder:
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...ases/tag/v0.90


When I find the time I will add release notes and a brief manual with suggested settings in Reaper. The functionality is implemented as per NI Komplete Kontrol Mk2 Manual (see Cubase and Logic pages). Tested with a KK S88 Mk2 Keyboard.

* Komplete Kontrol Instance Focus
* Transport Control
* Mixer Control / Control Surface Functions (Vol, Pan, Mute, Solo etc)
* Track and bank navigation
* Meters showing peak, calibrated to reflect exactly Reaper's meters
* Button light feedback

Eventually James will merge all or parts of these features into his parent repository. He has additional boundary conditions to consider as he needs to ensure compatibility with OSARA / screen reader users. Depending on that development I may rebase the modifications to keep the fork closely tied to James' original development. If you want to compile from sources please refer to the instructions in his repository.

Enjoy!
Thanks - any chance of a Mac version?
aMUSEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:08 AM   #136
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,320
Default

I'm not sure I can get this ReaKontrol fork to work with my S49mk2 (latest firmware, 0.5.9, and also using the latest beta of Komplete Kontrol which also has NI's own MCU support, which is far less featured than what ReaKontrol or DBM have). I don't get the Undo and Mixer buttons glowing at all. If there's no need to have a Csurf added in Preferences, what to do?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-31-2019 at 01:11 PM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #137
RobertP
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
The DrivenByMoss4Reaper extension has full support for Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol mk I, mk II, A-series and M32 for quite some time.
Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
In case some people have never seen this:
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELE View Post
I knew about this but I remember I read that by using this you should no use control surfaces (obviously for other controllers)...
So was this comment by Daniele confirmed? I can't find it.
I ask because I use a BCF2000 as well as S49 Mk1
__________________
Windows 7 Pro. Intel i7 3400ghz. 16GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Reaper 64.

suleiman: "WTF r u ppl on abt ?"
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #138
moss
Human being with feelings
 
moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
So was this comment by Daniele confirmed? I can't find it.
I ask because I use a BCF2000 as well as S49 Mk1
There is no such limitation.
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:36 PM   #139
RobertP
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 819
Default

Good to know, thank you
__________________
Windows 7 Pro. Intel i7 3400ghz. 16GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Reaper 64.

suleiman: "WTF r u ppl on abt ?"
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:40 AM   #140
brummbear
Human being with feelings
 
brummbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: out west
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'm not sure I can get this ReaKontrol fork to work with my S49mk2 (latest firmware, 0.5.9, and also using the latest beta of Komplete Kontrol which also has NI's own MCU support, which is far less featured than what ReaKontrol or DBM have). I don't get the Undo and Mixer buttons glowing at all.
Hi ED, thanks for this report. Release v0.90 was tested with an S88 Mk2 keyboard, firmware still v0.5.7 and Komplete Kontrol software 2.1.2(R156), i.e. no MCU support yet. Firmware v0.5.7 only exists for the S88, S49 and S61 stayed on v0.5.2. Firmware v0.5.9 (released May 17) seems to apply to all Mk2 keyboards but I have not updated my S88 yet.


I am aware of upcoming MCU support in KK, but will wait until it is officially available before testing it (and updating the keyboard's firmware). I anticipate that with official MCU support the Mk family of keyboards will speak 3 "languages" for DAW & Control Surface Integration:
1. NI's proprietary OSC protocol
2. NI's proprietary MIDI protocol (a hybrid of Sysex and CCs)
3. MCU protocol (probably just a subset)
Not sure if firmware v0.5.9 already incorporates all of these or if there will be yet another firmware update when the new KK software comes out officially.

ReaKontrol uses no 2 from above. If the upcoming support of MCU does not kill any part of that protocol then there should be no changes necessary at all. But maybe the keyboard's memory gets too crammed and NI removes some parts? We'll have to see...

Edit: No changes needed in firmware, it is all handled by "NIHostIntegrationAgent" aka "NIHIA". When the new Komplete Kontrol package with MCU support comes out we only need to check if the updated NIHIA still supports the current protocol (which I anticipate is the case).


To your current setup:
* Is it just the button lights that are not working or is there none of ReaKontrol's functions available (instance focus, mixer, transport, navigation etc)?
* Did your S49 Mk2 install a MIDI device named "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1"? Or do you maybe have also a Mk1 keyboard which installed a MIDI device with this same name previously? Maybe your Mk2 does not get detected properly if the latter is the case. This should be fixable...

Quote:
If there's no need to have a Csurf added in Preferences, what to do?
You simply copy ReaKontrol.dll into the UserPlugins folder. If you use e.g. ReaPack then that dll would also be found there. In the current release of ReaKontrol you do not add it manually in Preferences. Reaper's API allows to register a "behind the scenes" control surface, which is what ReaKontrol does.

Last edited by brummbear; 06-20-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: clarification rg firmware vs NIHIA updates
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:10 AM   #141
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,320
Default

No functionality outlined on ReaKontrol git pages is working at all. I only have S49mk2, no mk1 keyboard around. Yes, I have the DAW ports installed and Reaper sees them, but I deactivated them in Audio->MIDI Devices, as they should be.

DrivenByMoss works here through the same DAW port, and NI's own MCU works fine as well, but it's very limited. I wanted to try yours, but it's not working. NI's own integration with KK and Maschine is also working, so ports are all installed and recognized just fine.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:22 AM   #142
DANIELE
Human being with feelings
 
DANIELE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Florence, Italy
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
There is no such limitation.

Well, I remember wrong then. Thank you for clarifying.
__________________
Audio: AKG-K240 MKII, Adam A7X, Audient iD22 - Steinberg UR22; Piano: Yamaha P-250 - NI S88 MK1;
!!DANIELE EPIC ORCHESTRAL MUSIC!! |*| STAR WARS SERIES
DANIELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #143
brummbear
Human being with feelings
 
brummbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: out west
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
No functionality outlined on ReaKontrol git pages is working at all. I only have S49mk2, no mk1 keyboard around. Yes, I have the DAW ports installed and Reaper sees them, but I deactivated them in Audio->MIDI Devices, as they should be.

DrivenByMoss works here through the same DAW port, and NI's own MCU works fine as well, but it's very limited. I wanted to try yours, but it's not working. NI's own integration with KK and Maschine is also working, so ports are all installed and recognized just fine.
I now updated my S88 Mk2 to firmware v0.5.9 and have no issues at all. Maybe there is some incompatibility with both ReaKontrol and DBM installed (i.e. both fighting to take control of the MIDI device "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1")? I have not tried DBM lately but maybe you want to give it a shot and temporarily remove it on your machine for testing?

And yes, "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" should be disabled in Reaper preferences whereas the other ports stay enabled. Can you confirm that your MIDI device name is exactly "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" (no additional letters, spaces etc)? I did not modify James's original code to identify the port name and the code checks for exactly this string. Could be made a bit more fault tolerant in future updates...

PS: ignore the Undo button light not showing up... it is one of the few buttons I did not bother yet to switch the light on although the functionality undo/redo is implemented.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:05 PM   #144
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,320
Default

I removed DBM and it's still not working with ReaKontrol only.

Wait, does it mean that I cannot alias the MIDI device name? I do have them aliased. Hmm.

EDIT: That was it. LOL!

I wonder if you can get the original name of the MIDI device through the API, regardless of how we rename them?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 06-05-2019 at 11:14 PM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #145
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,320
Default

METRO button behaves weirdly. When turning it on, it first blinks shortly then turns off then turns on again. When turning it off, there's a delay between what happens on Reaper's GUI and when the light actually turns off. Doesn't seem to be the case with the LOOP button, that one works fine.

Track navigation, seems that selecting tracks and selecting regions commands are swapped. I move left-right and track selection is changed (it should be regions instead). I move up-down and regions are browsed through (it should be track selection change).


Would be great if TRACK button would create a new track after the currently selected one, and select it. Shift+TRACK to change the folder mode, maybe? CLEAR to remove the track.

Also, how about holding TEMPO and scrolling the 4D encoder to change BPM incrementally rather than tapping the tempo in?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 06-05-2019 at 11:33 PM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:39 AM   #146
brummbear
Human being with feelings
 
brummbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: out west
Posts: 90
Default

too busy with other things to write proper documentation.... will do as soon as I find some time. There are some useful functions beyond what NI has implemented for the other DAWs in ReaKontrol already, just had no time to write all of it down. For example you can navigate through banks in Mixer view without loosing track focus (e.g. if you want to change volume on track 35 but keep playing live on track 3). Then, if you want to switch immediately back to the bank containing the focused track, you can push the 4D encoder down and you are immediately taken back to that bank...

The METRO button is an outlier in terms of light on/off because of undocumented features in Reaper's API... lol. It is currently the only thing that ReaKontrol polls because there is no officially documented callback in the API. I'm polling the metronome status only once per second because I wanted to keep CPU load to the absolute minimum (see my earlier remarks further up in this thread). However, many years ago schwa disclosed an undocumented extended API call that could be used for the metronome which I plan to use in the next release. There are other smaller quirks incl. inconsistencies in NI's firmware.

TRACK navigation via encoder is intended to be that way! First I wanted it also the other way round, i.e. up/down moves to next/previous track. However, I found that the NI manual suggests a different logic - i.e. following the horizontal track arrangement in mixer view (in Mixer view on keyboard displays and likewise at the bottom of your Reaper screen if this is where you have your mixer view with the tracks aligned from left to right).

Thanks for your suggestion rg TEMPO->BPM, will think about it! Personally I don't find tapping particularly useful, hence this could be more useful. Please keep on commenting, this helps to find the best integration setup.

Regarding MIDI Device name: Reaper API does only deliver one name as far as I know (haven't checked though). DBM is more robust because it not only checks a variety of names that NI has used over the years but it also considers additions made by Windows (if you have more than one NI keyboard) and it also checks for UUID (which I imagine is what made it find your aliased device).
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:47 AM   #147
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,320
Default

Yes, if you're in Mixer view, you have tracks shown in horizontal layout on the keyboard's displays, so moving left-right to move between them makes more sense.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 06-06-2019 at 01:16 AM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #148
brummbear
Human being with feelings
 
brummbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: out west
Posts: 90
Default ReaKontrol Release v0.91

New release available at:
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...ases/tag/v0.91

Changes from previous release:
* Mixer View: Tracks muted by solo are greyed out
* Mixer View: Default names for "MASTER" and tracks without names are shown as "TRACK x"
* Metronome: METRO button light behavior improved

Other Notes:
As already implemented in the previous release the peak meters on the Mk2 keyboard's screen accurately follow Reaper's meters, i.e. peak metering (NOT RMS, VU or else). Contrary to Reaper's meters the dB scale shown on Mk2 keyboard screens for peaks and the volume marker are not linearly spaced. ReaKontrol resepects this and makes sure that a specific peak or volume level in Reaper lines up exactly at the corresponding scale mark on the keyboard's display. I have calibrated and tested this with an S88 Mk2 and would be interested to hear from other users with an S49 Mk2 and S61 Mk2 if the meters are scaled the same way on these models. From previous testing with DBM the scaling implemented there does not show the correct values on my S88 (up to 6dB off depending on the absolute level). With ReaKontrol I tried to calibrate it to be entirely accurate.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #149
ronald.mora@gmail.com
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Paris
Posts: 1
Default

Hello everyone, I purchased a NI Komplete M32 but haven't had luck with dll file trying to use ReaKontrol. Do you think I need too add a special control surface or perform any other configuration in REAPER to make it detect my M32?

Thanks in advance!
ronald.mora@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #150
brummbear
Human being with feelings
 
brummbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: out west
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald.mora@gmail.com View Post
Hello everyone, I purchased a NI Komplete M32 but haven't had luck with dll file trying to use ReaKontrol. Do you think I need too add a special control surface or perform any other configuration in REAPER to make it detect my M32?

Thanks in advance!
It should work but I only have an S88 Mk2 to test.

After installation of Komplete Kontrol you should have a MIDI Device installed on your computer named "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" (check the exact letters). Also, both "NIHostIntegrationAgent" and "NIHardwareService" should be installed and running (you can check that they are running in Task Manager under the Services tab). If any of these is missing (or the service is stopped), it won't work.

Installation of ReaKontrol: just drop the dll into the user plugin folder, that's it.

The keyboard must be switched on before starting Reaper. Make sure that no other application is occupying "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" when launching Reaper. While not strictly a must for detection it is highly recommended that you disable "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" in Reaper->Options->Preferences->MIDI Devices to avoid potential conflicts sending data to the keyboard.

Last edited by brummbear; 06-20-2019 at 09:26 PM.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:35 AM   #151
RobertP
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 819
Default komplete kontrol update

I see this:
"We just wanted to give you a rundown of what’s new. First up, we've added an Audio Module so you can play back loops. We've also added MCU support for the S-Series Mk2, A-Series, and M32 keyboards, as well as a takeover mode when MIDI mapping third-party controllers. You can now see Sounds.com artwork on your hardware and software browsers, with improved syncing giving you quicker access to your sounds. Running KOMPLETE KONTROL as a plugin for the first time? You can now scan plugins and content with one click. Enjoy!"

So no update to bring SMk1 in line with SMk2 or with Reaper
__________________
Windows 7 Pro. Intel i7 3400ghz. 16GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Reaper 64.

suleiman: "WTF r u ppl on abt ?"
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #152
brummbear
Human being with feelings
 
brummbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: out west
Posts: 90
Default

New release ReaKontrol v0.92 incl manual available.

Moving it into the proper sub forum (MIDI hardware, control surfaces):
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....75#post2150475
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #153
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,320
Default

Good stuff!


Would really love to see that TEMPO+4D encoder to set tempo explicitly rather than tapping.


Also, a question - how hard would it be to make the mixer volume controls go in 1 dB steps precisely, and have current 2 decimal points precision when holding Shift?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #154
brummbear
Human being with feelings
 
brummbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: out west
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Good stuff!


Would really love to see that TEMPO+4D encoder to set tempo explicitly rather than tapping.


Also, a question - how hard would it be to make the mixer volume controls go in 1 dB steps precisely, and have current 2 decimal points precision when holding Shift?
Both suggestions will get implemented in future releases (not the very next one though). I’m thinking the 1dB thingy only for the currently selected track when using the stepped 4D Encoder (1 step = 1dB), not for the continuous ones. The scaling will change for those too (slightly) as I would prefer a coarser adjustment at really low levels.,.. First, however, I would like to settle some last remaining basics. I plan to implement „extended edit“ functions like your suggested BPM but also other things like changing time selection, toggling record arm etc at some point in the future. For this to work (we are running out of buttons) I need to make some architectural tweaks. A prerequisite for any new function will be that it can be implemented in a lean fashion and very CPU efficient. Currently ReaKontrol uses an interrupt driven strategy for most part. Despite some quirks in Reaper‘s API callbacks this seems to still be a more efficient approach than polling. The code gets a bit more convoluted however and it takes a bit more time to integrate the additional functionality. Worth it in my opinion if it keeps CPU load really low Stay tuned..
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #155
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,320
Default

Oh I'm staying tuned alright.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:49 AM   #156
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
So no update to bring SMk1 in line with SMk2 or with Reaper
Yeah, was expecting that... NI has abandonned MK1 series, before they even made them work with Reaper.

I wonder what happened to Z317's solution. Apparently it was already working.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub | Stephan Römer - film composer
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 AM   #157
RobertP
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Yeah, was expecting that... NI has abandonned MK1 series, before they even made them work with Reaper.

I wonder what happened to Z317's solution. Apparently it was already working.
Maybe NI gave him the No No - we will never know...

The way its worked it can seem like MK1 was very good but needed user time to properly think about and do further development (a saving on cost for NI). After a short period, Mk2 is available, is very, very good and we will see if the same applies - add faders to Mk3?

Reaper just doesn't figure with NI...

Or is that all a tad too cynical
__________________
Windows 7 Pro. Intel i7 3400ghz. 16GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Reaper 64.

suleiman: "WTF r u ppl on abt ?"
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #158
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 7,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Y NI has abandonned MK1 series, before they even made them work with Reaper.
Don't they provide a software update for the MK1 to make it work similar to the MK2 ?

They should !!
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-25-2019 at 12:56 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:55 AM   #159
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,745
Default

Unfortunately not, AFAIK the MK1 communicates via MIDI internally. The NI software communicates via OSC and converts the data to MIDI. The new MK2 is completely based on OSC.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub | Stephan Römer - film composer
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #160
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 7,872
Default

I undferstand both communicate via USB. The "content" of the USB stream is software defined. (e.g. standard Midi or propriaty OSC-alike messages.)

After the update, the MK1 of course would need the software tool, as well.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.