Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 05-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
gvdv
Human being with feelings

Default HELP, Please - Routing Signals into Reaper for Podcast

Hi.
I would like to start podcasting, and am trying to figure out various ways of routing signals when recording at least one person remotely, and me the host.
I know that there are software options for signal routing, such as Virtual Audio Cable, but wanted to avoid buying software or subscribing to a rental service, if possible.

So, here are my questions:
1. Is there a way of routing audio from a person situated remotely into Reaper (e.g., they might be talking via Google Hangouts or Skype, or another audio platform)?
2. If there is a way of doing the above, can I record myself onto another Reaper track simultaneously?

I have several audio interfaces, with various outputs, and presume that this might help.

I know that Kenny (Goia) did a recent video about setting up Reaper for podcasting, but that presumed that the podcasting host, and a MIDI keyboard for intro and outro sound clips would be the only audio sources recorded - i.e., there was no information about how to route audio from a remote source.

I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks.
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
domzy

if you have multiple interfaces i would think the simplest method to achieve your goal without additional software is to have the remote audio through one interface and then connect the audio out from this into the audio input of the (different) interface that you are using for reaper
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
X-Raym

There is softwares to route aufio from other apps into other apps, from ex from discord tp REAPER. Try voicemeter banana if you are on windows.
I think also Jack could to that for other platforms
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
if you have multiple interfaces i would think the simplest method to achieve your goal without additional software is to have the remote audio through one interface and then connect the audio out from this into the audio input of the (different) interface that you are using for reaper
Hi domzy.
Many thanks for your suggestion.

I would never have thought of that.

How do I route the remote audio to the first interface?

Will an ASIO4ALL driver show up routing options.

Also, do you think this will result in latency when being recorded, because the remote audio is coming in, going out to a different AI and also to my headphones?

Where should I monitor that audio?

All the best.

Last edited by gvdv; 05-25-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
There is softwares to route aufio from other apps into other apps, from ex from discord tp REAPER. Try voicemeter banana if you are on windows.
I think also Jack could to that for other platforms
Hi X-Raym,

I was already aware of Voicemeeter Banana (and the more sophisticated Voicemeeter Potato) because they are made by the same company who makes the Virtual Audio Cable, which I mentioned in my original post.

Thanks for mentioning Jack, too - I think I heard about that a while ago and might have looked at it, too, but it certainly was not in my conscious mind.

However, as I also said in my original message, I want to avoid buying software or subscribing to a rental service, if possible.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
Hi domzy.

I would never have thought of that.

How do I route the remote audio to the first interface?

Will an ASIO4ALL driver show up routing options.

Also, do you think this will result in latency when being recorded, because the remote audio is coming in, going out to a different AI and also to my headphones?

Where should I monitor that audio?

All the best.
i don't know anything about skype or google hangouts, but i was assuming that the audio you hear from it normally plays back through your default windows audio device, so plug an audio cable from the line out of your pc (if you are using onboard sound for example) into the line in of the soundcard you are using for Reaper, then it is just a regular audio source and can be recorded as such, the same as your microphone would be. You can monitor this in the normal way you would in Reaper.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

The issue with a lot of this stuff is that it requires you to remove reaper as a realtime asio source, which is the whole reason we buy these multichannel interfaces in the first place.

In my case, I like to stream, while taking guest callers, with a band playing in a live room with realtime monitoring going on in reaper and back out to the band.

This chucks Via and Voicemeeter out the window as they require me to use highly latent drivers (though not to derail, it is possible for WASAPI to one day come to the rescue maybe)

One thing I've done is to use ReaRoute as a mirror of my main reaper output, send rearoute to VB ASIO Bridge into OBS. I then use the new NDI plugins for OBS for skype

Today I did some loopback stuff with my console and am now using only one interface!

Lots of people suggest using another interface with your main one but I have found that to just make more problems than it solves
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

For way more rant than you want to hear

https://pipelineaudio.net/dropping-i...-windows-apps/
Old 05-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
vdubreeze

I can't remember exactly why I tried Jack and didn't use it for a similar podcast recording in OS X (likely had something to do with what the free version wouldn't do and me fumbling with Jack's interface and routing past my limit) but I pulled out a second old laptop half hour before the session and took the calls in that and sent the line out to the main interface/laptop. Worked like a charm and much easier to futz with during the session.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
i don't know anything about skype or google hangouts, but i was assuming that the audio you hear from it normally plays back through your default windows audio device, so plug an audio cable from the line out of your pc (if you are using onboard sound for example) into the line in of the soundcard you are using for Reaper, then it is just a regular audio source and can be recorded as such, the same as your microphone would be. You can monitor this in the normal way you would in Reaper.
Thanks for this, domzy.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
The issue with a lot of this stuff is that it requires you to remove reaper as a realtime asio source, which is the whole reason we buy these multichannel interfaces in the first place.

In my case, I like to stream, while taking guest callers, with a band playing in a live room with realtime monitoring going on in reaper and back out to the band.

This chucks Via and Voicemeeter out the window as they require me to use highly latent drivers (though not to derail, it is possible for WASAPI to one day come to the rescue maybe)

One thing I've done is to use ReaRoute as a mirror of my main reaper output, send rearoute to VB ASIO Bridge into OBS. I then use the new NDI plugins for OBS for skype

Today I did some loopback stuff with my console and am now using only one interface!

Lots of people suggest using another interface with your main one but I have found that to just make more problems than it solves
Hi pipeline,
Thanks for this.

Yes, I want to avoid latency as much as I can if I am going to interview people, so I found what you had to say very thought-provoking.

Many thanks.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #12
gvdv

Quote:
For way more rant than you want to hear

https://pipelineaudio.net/dropping-i...-windows-apps/
Thanks, man.

Will take a look at this in a few minutes.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #13
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I can't remember exactly why I tried Jack and didn't use it for a similar podcast recording in OS X (likely had something to do with what the free version wouldn't do and me fumbling with Jack's interface and routing past my limit) but I pulled out a second old laptop half hour before the session and took the calls in that and sent the line out to the main interface/laptop. Worked like a charm and much easier to futz with during the session.
Thanks, vdubreeze.

That is a very creative idea.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
gvdv

Just so I do not leave this question unasked - no matter how dumb it may be - I presume that I cannot use one of my audio interfaces as a conduit to getting my mic. audio into one track in Reaper, while *at the same time* capturing sound from the sound card - is that correct?

I would think this is impossible because only one driver can be chosen and used at one time, and there would be two different drivers required for what I describe above - one for my audio, and another for capturing the internal (i.e., sound card) audio.

Is that right?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #15
pipelineaudio
Mortal

You could do it in theory with WASAPI.

Or even asio in some small cases, for instance, right now, I am using two 2408's with a cable going to fro mthe spdif out of one to the spdif in of the other, but in this case reaper sees both of those qs one asio driver

You are free to mix and match sound cards at your peril as long as its not ASIO...If you don't need super low latency realtime monitoring then you don't need ASIO either
Old 06-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #16
gvdv

Quote:
You could do it in theory with WASAPI.

Or even asio in some small cases, for instance, right now, I am using two 2408's with a cable going to fro mthe spdif out of one to the spdif in of the other, but in this case reaper sees both of those qs one asio driver

You are free to mix and match sound cards at your peril as long as its not ASIO...If you don't need super low latency realtime monitoring then you don't need ASIO either
Thanks, pipeline.

Unfortunately, latency would/will be important to me when interviewing someone.

Maybe I should just stick with the idea of a virtual software solution.

Voicemeter Potato seems to be the best of that type of thing - I was recently interviewed by someone using that programme, and it worked wonderfully.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #17
pipelineaudio
Mortal

VB stuff is fine if you dont need all your ASIO inputs in REAPER

In my case, I have a band with 13 drum mics and various other mics, tracking in realtime thru reaper, plus there may be someone on skype, plus I'm broadcasting it to obs, plus I may have a narration mic....it gets ugly fast!

I just got an RME Digiface USB in this afternoon and will be trying some of its totalmix routing stuff for this