Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
guillaume
Human being with feelings

Default hear NO sound

I'm really new to this stuff and for now i don't have external sound card.I have a pc working with windows7
when i try to set my preferences/audio/device if i select asio it tells me that i dont have any asio driver. so i tryed WAVEOUT or DIRECTSOUND for audio device but there are no sound when i play back midi recording.

the demo file all trought the night work i hear the song but for midi recording i see the notes but no sound.

can someone help please
guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaume View Post
I'm really new to this stuff and for now i don't have external sound card.I have a pc working with windows7
when i try to set my preferences/audio/device if i select asio it tells me that i dont have any asio driver. so i tryed WAVEOUT or DIRECTSOUND for audio device but there are no sound when i play back midi recording.

the demo file all trought the night work i hear the song but for midi recording i see the notes but no sound.

can someone help please

Ijust install asio driver and still dont hear a thing
Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Fabian

Quote:
MIDI is not audio. MIDI is digital data, such as which note is played, how hard, how long etc, that an audio generator uses to produce audio. To get audio, you need to place on the track some "FX" that generates the audio. There are lots of free such FX's floating around, but you can start with ReaSynth that comes bundled with Reaper. Click the FX-button on the track, add ReaSynth and adjust its parameters while Reaper is playing. Then you'll have audio.

PS An excellent user guide is here http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_User_Guide, and while you're over at the wiki (http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph..._Documentation), be sure to check out the quick start.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
guillaume

thanks a lot.I have reaper user guide.

i did what you told me put fx rea syth on the chanel and it work but just half way...
before i didn't have sound on the master channel . now it's moving green yellow. a clearly see that there is sound but i still don't hear a thing. even if my midi output input are enable..( i have a casio keyboard)
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
guillaume

and the demo file they give (all trought the night )work under directsound or waveout in audio preferences but not under ASIO.

and the midi file does not work under the 3 audio device
:S
Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
guillaume

i tryed to fix this for hours :S now it works under direct sound or wave out but not under ASIO but a least it works.
I don't now why but i had to select more than one Fx ex: Rea synth and Rea gate and now sound work with only Reasynth!

Magical or bizzare

THANK YOU FABIAN!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Fabian

If you are using your built-in audio card, try to install ASIO4ALL and use that as your ASIO. It should work.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
guillaume

yeah i tryed this driver but it does not work or make any sound at all in reaper
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
guillaume

all right now it work with the asio4all driver afther i directed my sound into the the microsoft gs wavetable syth under the midi hardware output in the track routing window I/O button. but i don't know why i don'T have any sound from an audio file like the demo all trough the night.
is it because in this routing windows under audio output hardware it tells me that i have nothing connected? shoul i see my speaker there ?

thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
Fabian

Quote:
all right now it work with the asio4all driver afther i directed my sound into the the microsoft gs wavetable syth under the midi hardware output in the track routing window I/O button. but i don't know why i don'T have any sound from an audio file like the demo all trough the night.
is it because in this routing windows under audio output hardware it tells me that i have nothing connected? shoul i see my speaker there ?

thanks
Are you on Vista/W7? If so, try disabling the GS Wavetable synth, it's been known to cause all sorts of strange problems on Vista/W7. Then see if you get the audio working, before trying to get MIDI working...
Old 03-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
soss

Quote:

thanks

Guillaume, looks like you're trying the same thing as me. Any instructions on how to do this?

Under "MIDI Hardware Output" all I see is "<no output>" and nothing to change it to.
soss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
soss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
If you are using your built-in audio card, try to install ASIO4ALL and use that as your ASIO. It should work.

It should, yet no input sound from my instrument. Nothing.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
Fabian

Guys, post a pic of your ASIO4ALL settings, something like this:
Old 03-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
JOE SA SA

Just a little pie...had you match the monitor boton on your track beside arm botom? Do you, you, you?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
soss

Default Thanks Fabian. Here's my latest:

Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:

thanks
If you're using Vista or higher, the MS GS Wavetable synth will prevent audio output from an ASIO host like REAPER as long they both use the same device. Alas the MS synth is not really meant to be used with DAW software and it became hard to make it coexist at all with other applications due to the redesigned Win audio system. So you get either sound from the MSGSWT Synth or ASIO audio output.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #17
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soss View Post
As you can see your inputs are disabled in ASIO4ALL (the little x). Have you tried clicking the x?
If that does not work, the question is "why"... Probably there is some other app holding on to them, so make sure all other applications that may use the inputs are killed. Especially, disable MS GS Wavetable synth.

This is from the ASIO4ALL manual:
"Audio device flagged as “Unavailable” or “Beyond Logic” even though it is not in use elsewhere
You want to make sure the “MS GS Software Wavetable Synth” or anything by a similar name is not
enabled anywhere in you MIDI setup. The ASIO4ALL Web Site has further information on that.
If any such “Software Wavetable Synth” (sometimes in disguise as “...DLS Synth...”) can be ruled out as
the cause, try to restart the audio host application. Sometimes, when switching from another driver to
ASIO4ALL v2, the previous driver will not release the audio device in time.
If the device is an USB/PCMCIA/FireWire device, close the ASIO4ALL control panel, unplug the
device, plug it in again and re-open the ASIO4ALL control panel."
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #18
Ashe37

Quote:
Especially, disable MS GS Wavetable synth.
Ok, where can we find instructions on how to do this?

Last edited by Ashe37; 03-25-2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: html foobies
Ashe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #19
reem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
If you're using Vista or higher, the MS GS Wavetable synth will prevent audio output from an ASIO host like REAPER as long they both use the same device. Alas the MS synth is not really meant to be used with DAW software and it became hard to make it coexist at all with other applications due to the redesigned Win audio system. So you get either sound from the MSGSWT Synth or ASIO audio output.
I've got MS synth enabled using windows xp. I just assumed you needed it to hear midi through reaper?
reem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #20
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe37 View Post
Ok, where can we find instructions on how to do this?
In Reaper, go to Preferences > MIDI Devices, right-click the GS Wavetable Synth, uncheck "Enable output" and leave it at that for good.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #21
MichaJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem View Post
I've got MS synth enabled using windows xp. I just assumed you needed it to hear midi through reaper?
No. You don't NEED it in REAPER. Midi is only digital information which is interpreted - by MS synth for example. Midi doesn't sound by itself.
You'd better use VSTis. Dedicated instruments or - to have more variable choices - try a SoundFont player like SFZ.

Michael

Edit: For more information have a look here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=31051
MichaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #22
reem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaJo View Post
No. You don't NEED it in REAPER. Midi is only digital information which is interpreted - by MS synth for example. Midi doesn't sound by itself.
You'd better use VSTis. Dedicated instruments or - to have more variable choices - try a SoundFont player like SFZ.

Michael

Edit: For more information have a look here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=31051
Thanks Michael, re vsti's: I have sampletank, are you saying that in the midi options in Reaper I should just leave midi device blank and midi vsti's will work all on their own? (i'm going off memory with regards to the terminology).

I'll go through that link when I get time. I really need to work all this out!
reem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #23
MichaJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem View Post
...are you saying that in the midi options in Reaper I should just leave midi device blank and midi vsti's will work all on their own?
Correct. Or better said: The midi outputs - here MS Synth - should be disabled.

Michael
MichaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #24
Ashe37

Quote:
In Reaper, go to Preferences > MIDI Devices, right-click the GS Wavetable Synth, uncheck "Enable output" and leave it at that for good.

Okay, i thought y'all were saying it was possible to disable it in *windows*
Ashe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #25
guillaume

i disable microsoft gs wave table synth in reapers midis... but do we have to doo it in the windows 7 control panel to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper.jpg (29.4 KB, 214 views)
Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #26
guillaume

asio4all picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asio4all.jpg (22.2 KB, 336 views)
Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #27
guillaume

Quote:
asio4all picture

i disable the gs wavetable
and reboot my computer and now both midi and sound are playing in my speaker.

A BIG THANK YOU to Fabian... now i can start to play a little bit

Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #28
Fabian

Quote:

i disable the gs wavetable
and reboot my computer and now both midi and sound are playing in my speaker.

A BIG THANK YOU to Fabian... now i can start to play a little bit

Great! Have fun...