Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
thunderbroom
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI drum tracks - different bpm - same project - possible???

Last night I was assisting a client in arranging a new song. The verses are around 75bpm; the choruses ramp up to about double (150bpm). I use EZDrummer2 in creating arrangements, which he will later overdub with real drums in the studio.

I am trying to figure out if it's possible to have two separate instances of EZDrummer2 in the same Reaper session, at different BPM? From my attempt last night, whatever midi sample I drag into the reaper track, it confirms to the session's set BPM, regardless of what I adjust in EZD.

Is there a setting in Reaper where I can disable the session BPM to allow this to happen? Or is this impossible? I'd appreciate any ideas for solutions. Thanks in advance for your help!
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbroom View Post
Last night I was assisting a client in arranging a new song. The verses are around 75bpm; the choruses ramp up to about double (150bpm). I use EZDrummer2 in creating arrangements, which he will later overdub with real drums in the studio.

I am trying to figure out if it's possible to have two separate instances of EZDrummer2 in the same Reaper session, at different BPM? From my attempt last night, whatever midi sample I drag into the reaper track, it confirms to the session's set BPM, regardless of what I adjust in EZD.

Is there a setting in Reaper where I can disable the session BPM to allow this to happen? Or is this impossible? I'd appreciate any ideas for solutions. Thanks in advance for your help!
It sounds like the chorus it just doing double time. There are a couple of ways you can do this.

1. Just cut the notes in half and play 1 bar as if it's 2 bars. A 16th would be a 32nd, 8th a 16th, quarter an 8th, etc..

2. Add tempo markers at the chorus in and out measures, 150 BPM on the front and back to 75 BPM going back into the verse.

For me I think #2 would be the easiest to follow, although #1 would probably be the quickest to setup.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
hopi

not 100% on this but doesn't EZ read the DAW's bpm?
and IF yes, can't you just set tempo markers for the section you want to change? The midi items should adjust to those tempo markers
Old 05-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
thunderbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
not 100% on this but doesn't EZ read the DAW's bpm?
and IF yes, can't you just set tempo markers for the section you want to change? The midi items should adjust to those tempo markers
EZD will read the DAW tempo exclusively. Within EZD, you can disable the "match to DAW tempo" to audition patterns, but it adapts to Reaper's tempo once the midi is imported.

Let me make sure I understand what you're saying. I go ahead and create the two separate drum patterns (each on it's own track); then, set the first part of the song to 75bpm; then, insert tempo markers where the second drum pattern at 150bpm begins, and keep repeating that until the end of the song whenever the tempo changes?

If that's the case, won't the tempo markers affect everything in the session (not just the drums) including any other recorded tracks already int he session? Is it possible for the tempo markers to only affect specific tracks?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
Stella645

You could just Ctrl + drag the right edge of the midi item to timestretch it to half size/double speed.

It is possible to set audio not to be stretched with tempo but midi timestretch is simplest option.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
EZD will read the DAW tempo exclusively. Within EZD, you can disable the "match to DAW tempo" to audition patterns, but it adapts to Reaper's tempo once the midi is imported.

Let me make sure I understand what you're saying. I go ahead and create the two separate drum patterns (each on it's own track); then, set the first part of the song to 75bpm; then, insert tempo markers where the second drum pattern at 150bpm begins, and keep repeating that until the end of the song whenever the tempo changes?

If that's the case, won't the tempo markers affect everything in the session (not just the drums) including any other recorded tracks already int he session? Is it possible for the tempo markers to only affect specific tracks?
In that case use my suggestion #1, that should get you what you want without affecting the outher audio.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Tod

The more I think about it I think you can do the tempo thing without messing up the current audio.

What audio is there, which instruments?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:31 PM   #8
thunderbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
The more I think about it I think you can do the tempo thing without messing up the current audio.

What audio is there, which instruments?
The rest are all analog - vocals, acoustic guitar, bass, etc.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:38 AM   #9
Judders

Tempo map the song.

I've found that having multiple instances of Superior Drummer gives weird results. Better to use X-Drums (don't know if EZDrummer has that) for more kit pieces...

BUT! No need for more than one instance of EZDrummer if you tempo map the song.

Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
thunderbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Tempo map the song.

I've found that having multiple instances of Superior Drummer gives weird results. Better to use X-Drums (don't know if EZDrummer has that) for more kit pieces...

BUT! No need for more than one instance of EZDrummer if you tempo map the song.

Cool. I will check this out. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2019, 08:57 PM   #11
hopi

Quote:

yes it would affect other parts... I assumed that was going to be wanted to work with the drums...
Old 05-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #12
hopi

Tod's ideas are good...

...and... maybe you could try this

make your first normal tempo drum part.
make a time selection over it and render it out to a new trak added to the project... let's say it goes from zero to bar 64

now do whatever to set up tempo markers or change the bpm and get want you want for the other tempo drum part... mute everything but that and render it to a another new track in the project.

OK set the bpm back to you normal bpm....
take the first drum wav from zero to bar 64 and from 64 on put the second drum wav...
Mute the EZ drums and carry on